TOC
-------------------------------------------------------

An hour later, Lane and Alexa met a bleary eyed Henderson at the Tactical Urban Encounter Simulator building. He led them to a back room where Bennie Farmer was waiting along with two other men, one wearing army fatigues. One wall of the room was covered with monitors showing news feeds from all over the planet.

Henderson introduced the military man as Colonel George Cash. The other man was simply 'Alec'. They listened without comment while Lane and Alexa explained the situation.

"Several days ago my people detected a ship near the orbit of Mars," Alec said finally. He was a leathery old man with a touch of an Australian accent. He was wearing an earbud, listening to distant voices. "We've been monitoring it. An object we assume to be a landing craft came down in Metropolis two days ago. We lost it when it landed but it left Earth about two hours ago. Another, smaller, craft landed outside Metropolis four hours ago. We believe that one may have self-destructed. Plus, a short time after the first craft left another craft left the ship, heading for Earth."

“That smaller craft probably belonged to Nor's assassin. He ended himself when he failed his mission," Lane explained.

"Where's the body?"

"Ching disposed of it," Lane said.

"Pity," Alec said. "I know a few xeno-biologists who will be very disappointed they missed getting their hands on another alien species."

"Another alien species?" Lane asked.

Henderson chuckled. "One alien implies more than one alien."

"And nobody bothered to tell Superman?" Lane looked around at the men.

"He might have figured it out on his own if he'd rescued one of them," Alexa said. "Any idea where the incoming ship is going to land?"

"We're hoping you can tell us," Alec said.

"If I had to guess, either Metropolis or Smallville, Kansas," Alexa said. "Superman made his debut in Metropolis but his ship originally landed near Smallville."

"So, Trask was right about that?" Cash asked.

"Being crazy doesn't preclude occasionally being right," Alec said. "So, assuming this would-be invader is in that second ship, how long before he and his people acquire Superman's abilities?"

"A day or less," Alexa answered.

"Not a very big window for putting together a defense," Farmer observed.

"No, it isn't," Alec agreed a little too cheerfully.

[Alexa, Lane,] Ching's voice sounded in their minds. [Nor and several of his men have escaped and are heading to Earth.]

"How many?" Alexa asked. She held up a hand at the questioning looks of the men in the room.

[Nor, two of his officers, and at least 8 men-at-arms,] Ching answered mentally. [Jen Mai may be with them but we don't know if he is a co-conspirator or a hostage. Nor killed two palace guards making his escape.]

Lane passed on the information.

[How long until they develop powers?] Alexa asked.

[I estimate it will take eight to twelve hours of sunlight to energize them,] Ching said. [That time will be shortened if their ship's shields were turned off although I doubt they would do that.]

"Where will they attack first?" Alexa asked aloud.

[They'll want an easy target first,] another voice said in Alexa's mind. [Most likely the village where Kal-El's ship landed. Nor is a madman. He blames Earth for nurturing Jor-El's heir. He will seek to avenge himself against Kal-El's foster family.]

Alec nodded to one of the monitors showing a satellite view of Kansas. An opalescent circle had appeared, partially blocking the view of Smallville.

"A force field has been raised over the town," Alec said. "The area is completely black in all electromagnetic frequencies above and below visual and infra-red. And it looks like visual and infra-red may be partially blocked as well."

[Nor is on Earth,] Alexa relayed to Ching.

[Zara and the Council will be there as soon as we can.]

"Kryptonians are telepathic?" Alec asked.

"Apparently, although Superman didn’t know that," Alexa replied.

Alec paused as it considering his next question. "Do you know which electromagnetic frequencies energized him?"

"Not exactly," Alexa answered. "But I'm told that Kryptonians don't have super powers when under a red sun like Krypton had and New Krypton has."

"Interesting fact," Alec said. "Red suns don't have a lot of ultraviolet in their light. I'll bet that force field is designed to replicate Krypton's light. If so, we have a chance."

"What can we do to help?" Lane asked.

"Stay out of the way," Henderson advised.

"Look, Nor may be going after people we care about. We want to help," Lane said. "We can help."

Henderson and Alec exchanged a look. After a moment, Henderson nodded. "If we're right, you may be without your special abilities."

-o-o-o-

It was a quick flight to Smallville, especially for two people who didn't need to wait for an airplane. They were dressed in dark clothes and dark knit caps covered their light hair. Alec had given them communications equipment but it was doubtful if they would work from inside the field.

The dome was not as impermeable as Alec had feared. His people had already determined the control frequency and there were places the dome didn’t cover due to the terrain. Kansas was pretty flat, but there were still dips and ditches. Getting inside the dome was simple. Lord Nor and his people were too arrogant to realize how resourceful the natives were, or how metal culverts put holes in the shield.

Henderson had feared that Lane and Alexa might not have their special abilities while under the dome but those fears were unfounded, so far. However, communications were blocked. Lane and Alexa would not be able to report their results without leaving the field.

Using super senses, flight, and super speed, it was easy for them to locate and neutralize Nor's troops - they were the only ones in armor and moving about. Lane and Alexa picked them off one by one, stripped them of their armor and equipment, handcuffed them, and locked them in the storm/bomb shelter beneath City Hall. After they were collected, Alexa spot welded the door shut to prevent any curious Smallville residents from letting the Kryptonian soldiers out of their temporary prison.

By sunrise only Nor, his two lieutenants, and Jen-Mai were still free.

For Alexa and Lane, sunrise was missing its usual tingle against their skin. They weren't 'recharging' and soon their extra abilities would be gone. Exactly how soon, they didn't know.

They found the last four invaders standing on the front steps of City Hall. Jen-Mai looked worried but not under duress as he looked out at the few Smallville residents who were standing in their night clothes in front of the building.

The humans looked confused and more than a little bit frightened. No doubt they were the ones rousted out of bed before Lane and Alexa took care of the soldiers.

"Where are the rest of the villagers?" Nor demanded loudly. "Where are the humans that fostered Kal-El? Where are my men?"

"Who is Kal-El? And who the hell are you?" Police Chief Parker demanded. He was one of the few not in bed clothes.

"I am your new master and you will bow down to me!" Nor yelled.

"What I see is four guys dressed up for Halloween," Parker said. "And Americans bow to no man."

"I am your master!" Nor screamed. He was practically foaming at the mouth.

Ran and Drull pointed their weapons at Parker. Two pinpoint shots of heat vision neutralized that threat. They pressed the weapon triggers and… nothing. Parker remained standing.

"What treachery is this?" Nor screamed at his men. "Kill him!"

Ran and Drull pulled out their daggers and started toward Chief Parker. Lane and Alexa moved in front of him. Suddenly Ching and Zara were there along with Alec and several uniformed soldiers. Two of the soldiers were in Kryptonian uniforms.

[This is our fight,] Ching mentally said to Alexa.

Zara glared at Nor. "Nor of the House of Et, you are accused of high treason against the government of New Krypton, of unsanctioned adventurism against the people of Earth. You will stand before the tribunal on these charges."

"You stupid woman, we can rule here! We have superior weapons, we have superior technology!"

"We have nothing!" Zara yelled back at him. "Your dome still stands to keep you in! Your soldiers were neutralized by people born here!"

"You lie!"

"Nor-Et, you can go home alive or dead," Alec told him. "Makes no difference to my people. Dead might be easier for yours."

[Kill them all], Nor sent mentally.

Ran grinned as he ran toward Zara. Zara was ready for him. One throw and he was on the ground, arm twisted behind his back, Zara's knee pressing on his spine. "Attacking the head of a Great House? Yield or I will break your neck," she said in a low voice.

"I will never yield to a woman," Ran grated.

Zara snapped his neck like a twig. [I told you, we are a pragmatic people,] Zara sent to Alexa and Lane as she got to her feet. She had obviously picked up on the horror that both Lane and Alexa felt at such a callous act.[He could not be allowed to live.]

Drull was also dead, stabbed with his own dagger after going for Ching.

"Nor-Et, will you yield yourself to the tribunal?" Zara asked aloud. Her voice was harsh with anger.

"What wizardry allowed you to best my strongest soldier?" Nor demanded, ignoring Zara's question.

"The same wizardry that bested your creature Tez," Lane answered for Zara. "He was bested by someone born on this planet. Now, will you yield to your lawful sovereign?"

"She rules only at the whim of the Council," Nor stated, glaring at Lane. Jen-Mai whispered something to Nor. Nor smiled, a cruel self-satisfied smile. "However, there is a solution. The ancient Right of Challenge. Oh, I forgot, women are not permitted to use the traditional weapons and the House of El is no more. I win."

"Female heads of house are permitted to choose a champion," Ching stated. "If you choose to invoke the ancient laws regarding the Right, you must accept all of the ancient laws regarding the Right."

"You?" Nor snorted in disbelief. "You're no noble. You're Soan-El's bastard."

"The champion does not have to be a member of the nobility," Ching stated calmly. "For that matter, according to the law, nothing prevents the champion from being from another world."

[Can you beat him?] Lane asked.

[Nor has never lost a match,] Ching said.

[Has he ever fought you?] Lane asked.

[No.]

Zara seemed to steel herself. "I accept the challenge and appoint Ching, scion of the House of El, as my champion."

"Winner takes all?" Nor said with a sneer.

"No," Alec said. "This duel is in regard to the succession of ruler ship for your world. Your Council has already been warned that anyone from your planet found on this one once this matter has been decided will be considered a criminal combatant and will be dealt with accordingly. Is that clear?" There was something utterly implacable in Alec's tone. Lane decided that he was probably a much more important person than Henderson had let on and he knew more about the situation on New Krypton than he had let on.

"As the challenged, I set the place and time," Zara said. "I choose here and now."

"As Lady Zara's champion, I choose my second," Ching stated formally. "I choose Lane of the House of Alexander, champion and defender of this world."

"He's not even Kryptonian," Nor protested.

"As I said, according to the law, nothing states that the champion or his second need to be of New Krypton. Lane of the House of Alexander has already proven himself as champion of this world by besting your assassin. Or have you forgotten that you had already commissioned the deaths of Lady Zara and any on the Council that objected to your actions?"

"You cannot prove that," Nor stated.

"He does not need to," an older man in ornate robes said. With him were two other men in simpler robes. Both men carried long fabric-wrapped objects. "I am Trey, senior of the Council of Elders," he introduced himself. He looked around, spotting Chief Parker. "You are the enforcer of peace for this village?"

Parker nodded.

"Please move your people to safety. It will not be safe for them here," Trey said.

Parker ordered the denizens of Smallville to return to their homes. Within minutes the street in front of city hall was clear of night clothes clad humans. "And what about you people?" Parker asked Alec.

"You need to look after your citizens," Alec told Parker. "I'll look after mine and this mess." Parker looked as though he wanted to argue, or at least ask questions but then he nodded and headed off to the police station.

Trey turned back to Nor and Ching. "Choose your weapons."

"I want my own weapon," Nor demanded.

"You invoked the Right of Challenge," Trey said. "Under the law you and your opponent will use weapons selected from the joint armory. The senior armorer himself checked these weapons to ensure that neither has been tampered with and both are in good working order." He gestured for Ching to choose. Ching unwrapped the item held in the hands of one of Trey's companions. The weapon appeared to be a long metal pole with gray spheres at either end. Ching tested its weight and balance by twirling it about almost like an over-sized baton.

Grudgingly, Nor inspected the remaining weapon.

"These are called 'drei'," Trey explained to the non-New Kryptonians. "It is an ancient weapon used by our ancestors in one-to-one combat. It is still a well respected weapon." Trey looked back to Nor. "Who is your second?"

"My men are dead," Nor complained.

"You may use one of mine," Trey suggested. "Or Jen-Mai can stand as your second."

"This sickening sycophant?" Nor scoffed. "I'd be better off with one of the humans."

Trey motioned for one of his men to stand behind Nor. "The people of this world have no need to be involved in our domestic squabbles," Trey stated. "To your places."

[What am I supposed to do?] Lane asked Ching.

[Keep an eye out for treachery,] Ching instructed. [Nor is an expert using the drei but I've no doubt he also cheats.]

Trey motioned everyone to step back from Ching and Nor. Suddenly Nor began twirling his drei like a baton. Ching followed suit. Under the dome, it was unlikely either man was using any 'extra' abilities but they were moving at almost super human speeds as they twirled their drei weapons and bashed at one another. The spherical ends of the drei seemed to glow with some unknown energy. Sometimes the energy exploded in a cascade of light, sending one or the other of the fighters flying through the air.

The two men appeared evenly matched, although Lane was fairly certain that Ching was younger and fitter. That might be enough to give him an advantage later in the fight. Nor was too busy defending himself to try to get his dagger, but Jen-Mai had pulled something small from his robe and it looked as if he was preparing to throw it at Ching. Lane dove toward Jen-Mai, but Jen-Mai but still managed to throw the object.

It hit Nor on the neck. The Kryptonian stiffened and dropped his drei. His eyes glazed over and he went down.

Ching simply looked stunned.

"You told me to watch for treachery," Lane reminded Ching. He stood to address everyone else. "Jen-Mai threw something. I think it was aimed at Ching. If so, he missed."

[It is as Lane has said,] the man assigned as Nor's second said. [Lane reacted more quickly than I did, but Jen-Mai threw something and it hit Nor.]

"Jen-Mai, explain yourself," Trey demanded. Trey's two men took hold of Jen-Mai and pulled him to his feet.

"For years we have heard nothing but how the great 'Kal-El' will come and raise us to the glory that once was ours," Jen-Mai said. "That the great House of El will return. But he is dead, murdered on this wretched planet, and the Council refuses to avenge his death and would prefer a weakling woman to remain our ruler."

"That weakling woman killed Nor's best officer with her bare hands," Ching reminded him. "And you were so unsure of Nor's ability to win against me that you resorted to treachery?"

Jen-Mai simply glared at him.

"Jen-Mai of the House of Et," Trey intoned. "You are accused of treason against the people and government of New Krypton, of conspiracy to commit treason against the people and government of new Krypton, conspiracy to commit murder against members of the Houses of El and Ra, and the murder of Lord Nor of the House of Et. A judgment tribunal concerning these charges will be convened immediately upon our return to New Krypton."

Trey looked around at everyone else. "The laws of the Right of Challenge are also clear. Should there be interference in the combat the punishment for that interference shall be forfeiture of lands, property, and titles. There are other punishments as well but I do not wish for our hosts to know exactly how barbaric these ancient laws truly are.

"Additionally, should it be discovered that the interference was instigated by one of the combatants, their lands, property, and titles shall also be forfeit."

Jen-Mai went pale and if Trey's men hadn't been holding him up, Lane was sure Jen-Mai would have fainted. Trey stared hard at Jen-Mai. Lane assumed Trey was scanning the other man's mind. Then Jen-Mai's eyes rolled up and he collapsed.

Trey seemed shaken. "He ended himself rather than reveal how complicit Nor and his family were in this apparent conspiracy," he said. He turned to Ching. "Under the Right of Challenge, Jen-Mai's land, property, and titles are yours as right of victorious champion."

"I did not win," Ching stated.

"True, you did not win the combat on your own merits," Trey agreed. "But you are the one still alive. A fact that I'm certain Lady Zara appreciates."

-o-o-o-

"So, all's well that ends well?" Perry asked when Lane and Alexa submitted a highly edited version of the happenings in Smallville, Kansas regarding Nor-Et's the abortive invasion attempt.

"Ching now has a legitimate title and can become Lady Zara's consort with the Council's blessing," Alexa explained. "Her children by him can inherit the property of the House of El or she can choose to elevate one of the lesser branches of the House to chief position since she is legally Kal-El's widow and can choose his heir."

"Apparently Earth does have the technology to detect incoming spaceships and the technology to deal with them as necessary," Lane added. "Plus, we all know that the technology exists to take out fully powered Kryptonians. They've been warned to stay away from Earth but there may be some trade opportunities there. They do have some technology that might be useful."

"And you two?" Perry prompted.

Alexa sighed. "All his life, Kal-El wondered why he'd been sent to Earth, who his people were, if there were any left. Had he met them, I doubt he would have been impressed. The Right of Challenge was barbaric, but I suspect in many ways, Krypton was a barbaric place."

[Alexa and Lane,] Ching's thought came. [We are preparing to leave Earth's system. We are in the process of negotiating trade agreements through…] Here Ching's thoughts became deliberately vague. [… an Earth agency that has experience with such things. We look forward to accepting a few people from Earth to our planet sometime in the future so we can exchange technologies. Zara and I wish to extend our heartfelt thanks to you for your assistance in New Krypton's domestic difficulties.]

[You are most welcome,] Alexa sent back.

[You still have the nav sphere from Kal-El's ship,] Ching stated. [I think it possible that it will respond to you now. Farewell, cousin.]

[Farewell, cousin,] Alexa sent.

"Well?" Perry asked.

"They're leaving," Alexa reported. "They are working on opening trade relations with Earth but Ching wouldn't say which agency was handling it."

"Will they be back?" Perry asked.

"Not if they value their lives," Lane answered.

-o-o-o-

"Do you really think they won't be back?" Lane asked Alexa over dinner in their hotel suite. Their new loft wouldn't be ready for several weeks, if not months. Drywall compound, paint, and grout only cured so fast and no super power would change that.

"Like I told Perry, they won't if they value their lives. Alec, whoever he really is, was pretty adamant about not letting Kryptonians loose on Earth. I gather he would have been perfectly willing to have us go with them but Zara wouldn't have any part of that."

"We saved their hides but we're still abominations?"

"Exactly."

"Have you tried the globe yet?"

Alexa shook her head. "I'm afraid to."

Lane retrieved the silk enshrouded globe from its protective box and handed it to Alexa.

Alexa picked it up with her bare hand and nothing happened. Then she sent a thought to it and the globe switched from its depiction of Earth to the one of old Krypton. Then a hologram of Jor-El appeared. "Greetings Lura Jen-Lo," Jor-El's voice said. "I am Jor-El of Krypton, your uncle. That you now hear these words is proof that you survived your journey through space and that my son Kal-El, or his foster parents, located your birthing matrix and you have grown to maturity. If fortune smiled on our endeavors to save our children, your birthmate, Loq-El, younger son of my cousin Soan-El, also survived.

"Now it is time for you to learn our heritage…"

TBC

* Battleground Earth was written by Eugenie Ross-Leming & Brad Buckner (And thus ends the New Krypton arc. angel-devil )

Last edited by Dandello; 06/13/16 04:56 PM.

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm