#266038 09/14/15 05:31 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yay, a much happier piece than "Alone!" smile1

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

R
RJS Offline
Blogger
Blogger
R
Is it finished? It stops mid-sentence.

RJS #266041 09/14/15 06:38 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by RJS
Is it finished? It stops mid-sentence.

Weird, it showed me the whole thing in preview. I can only assume it didn't all fit in the posting. The rest is posted now as a reply in the original thread.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Top Banana
Top Banana
Not only that but the entire story appeared in the original e-mail (I get notified to be able to keep up on the TOCs). I normally read it from the MBs but this time I got it on my tablet and read it from the e-mail and it was complete there.

Interesting...

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Mike M
Not only that but the entire story appeared in the original e-mail (I get notified to be able to keep up on the TOCs). I normally read it from the MBs but this time I got it on my tablet and read it from the e-mail and it was complete there.

Interesting...

Mike

Now that really is strange!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Beautiful story, DC. I just love your work.

The progression...Clark's life, his blessings, how he's been able to go to His Place--reflect--alone, and then with Lois, their children. How special that he was able to share this part of himself with them.

Clark's love for Lois was written really beautifully. Very honest and heart-felt. It was very moving to see Clark grow with that love, become his best version of himself.

What a great companion piece to 'Alone' smile.

Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
LMA #266051 09/15/15 12:26 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by LMA
Beautiful story, DC. I just love your work.

The progression...Clark's life, his blessings, how he's been able to go to His Place--reflect--alone, and then with Lois, their children. How special that he was able to share this part of himself with them.

Clark's love for Lois was written really beautifully. Very honest and heart-felt. It was very moving to see Clark grow with that love, become his best version of himself.

What a great companion piece to 'Alone' smile.

Laura

Thank you, Laura. I thought it would be fun to sort of "mirror" the events in "Alone," as much as possible - Clark's isolation over his powers vs the joy of learning to fly, the sadness over Lois' engagement to Lex vs the bliss of knowing that she said "no" at the altar, etc.

I'm glad that you enjoyed the piece. I really loved the process of writing them both, and I'm so glad that I was urged to write the happier flip-side to "Alone!"

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
clap Yea! You wrote the happy side of the coin.

I, too, was reading this when it cut off mid-scene, but once I hit refresh it was complete. huh Maybe there were too many of us reading it at once. wink For a second there, I wondered if you meant to cut off in the middle of a word... Clark fading away as he lamented about Lois's passing, but as I read on (now refreshed), I realized it was a scene too soon.

You had so many beautifully written passages tugging at my heart throughout. I'll see how many of them I can spot tonight.

My parents.

I could not have done this on my own. I could not have found the strength to wrestle with the weird and terrifying array of powers that have so recently swallowed up any idea that I was just an ordinary child.
This -- as many of these stories do -- made me think of Alt-Clark and how the poor fellow had to do it alone. mecry

The way they have tirelessly worked with me to help me find ways to control the terrifying powers that have erupted into my life, turning my world upside down and destroying any sense of security and normalcy that I once possessed. The ceaselessly patient way they have guided me and come up with solutions to help me control the things that I can do, to the point now where my restraint over those powers is as natural as breathing, and it seems almost difficult to remember how hard I had to work to find that restraint.
If my kids ever think of me half as wonderfully as this, I'll chalk myself up as a success.

The quiet here is astounding. For the first time, I know true silence. There is no expectation of hearing a sudden burst of radio static or the barking of a dog, several long miles down the road. All I can hear is the inner workings of my body.

It's peaceful.
Why I write late into the night even though I have to get up early to get the kids ready for school.

Now, I can give my parents the world.
What a great son!

I've exposed myself as something other than human in order to hide the fact that I am something other than human. It's simultaneously terrifying and thrilling, insanely stupid and the best idea I've ever had, reckless and carefully calculated for the risks it poses.
I love the dichotomy of this decision.

Funny, how my anonymity depends so heavily on thrusting myself into the limelight of celebrity status - how I've become the least known man in the world while becoming the most famous face the world has ever seen.
Good point!

It's the perfect place to rejuvenate my body and mind, reflecting on...well, usually on Lois, if I'm being honest.
If you can't be honest with yourself, your readers will figure out the truth soon enough... as we do during Lois's POVs. wink

For the first time, I feel like I might have a chance at finding love and the happily ever after I've always imagined for myself. If only she would see it that way.
Awww.

I know that, for me, coming home put me at ease. Showing Lois around, introducing her to people I'd known all my life, put me in a different state of mind. I wasn't trying to impress her. I was trying to help her become comfortable in her new surroundings.
Interesting analysis. Usually when people take people home with them they try to put on airs and impress them. Once again, Clark did the opposite.

I wish I could remember them. Something. Anything. Their voices, undisturbed by the metallic, somehow "off" resonance of the holograms, as if their technology could not capture a pure, unadulterated sound. The echo of their laughter in the back of my mind. The scents that were uniquely them - a certain perfume or cologne - the way certain fragrances have always reminded me of my Earth family. Even a ghostly remembrance of the feel of their hands, the feel of their lips as they kissed my newborn head. Something.
You capture his frustration at his never knowing well here.

Will I one day awaken in the middle of the night once again, to find more of my past revealed? Will the globe ever come alive again, to show me more about the people who gave me life? Try as I might, I have not been able to get the globe to talk to me since that fifth and final message from Jor-El.
Now, Kal-El, that you've reached your 30th Earth year, plenty of time to become a man, it is time to tell you about your birth wife...

And suddenly, just like that, the hurtful words we'd fired at each other like devastating missiles were erased from reality. Wounds were healed and forgiven. Our friendship was patched, as seamless as it once was, as if there had never even been a tear in the fabric to begin with.
So, now, I'm going to contemplate on Lois's strange lapses in memory and sudden anti-Superman feelings. Should I not have rejected her so bluntly as Superman last spring?

Right. No tears. Seamless. Uh-huh. (Yes, I know this scene is from before Mrs. Luthor shows up.)

It's my own fault, really. Superman was never supposed to be recognizable as Clark Kent. I've gone to painstaking lengths to distance the two men from each other as much as possible. Superman is supposed to be a distraction - the garish colors of his uniform are meant to dazzle the eye so that no one sees the man beneath it all. So, I don't blame Lois for being blind to the fact that it's really me, Clark, hiding beneath that cape.
No, Clark, all it means is that she's never looked at Superman's face.

But mostly, I won't hold myself back. For the first time, I'll be able to compliment her the way she deserves - not as a friend or fellow reporter - but as a deeply enthralled man to the woman who's captured his heart. For once, if I am allowed to kiss her, I won't have to hold back. I won't have to make it a ruse to deceive others. I won't have to rein in my emotions. I won't have to make it chaste or merely friendly. I won't have to do it with my heart breaking in two. I'll simply be able to be me - fully, unrestrained, completely honestly me.
Nope. He's still going to hold back, because she doesn't know you're Superman.

Instead, she let me know that the fragile mask of Superman had broken in her eyes. She'd seen the man beneath the S shield. Clark could no longer cower behind a cape and Superman could no longer hide behind a pair of glasses. Two men no longer existed. They had become one for her.
Great descriptions!

Tonight, my brain is firing at lightning speed and rest is as elusive as a unicorn.
Could it have something to do with the fact that you're now free to marry Lois and soon?

The rush, the excitement, the feeling of belonging that I would have once I met others like me. As it turned out, the fantasy was better than the reality. Instead of feeling an instant connection and belonging, I've never felt so alone or so much like an outsider in all my life. Strange customs that I stumbled over. Constantly feeling scrutinized, as though my every breath were being weighed to see if I was worthy of the name of El.
Good point!

What God has joined, no man, nor beast, nor villain, nor space rock, nor circumstance, nor superhero will ever be able to tear asunder.
I love the additions to this familiar phrase.

But the truth is this: while I was always more or less upbeat and usually quick to see the bright side of things, Lois herself was the reason for my overwhelming optimism. And she remains the reason why I look forward to whatever life throws at us next.
Awwwww.

The life-changing moment when you emerged into the world and screamed at the unfairness of leaving the warm, dark home of your mother's womb - a cry of defiance that so perfectly mirrored your mother.
lol

I've always liked this place - the peace it can bring when the world gets to be too much, when the demands on Superman threaten to break him. And maybe you like it here too, for after a few minutes, your crying ceased and your lids grew heavy with sleep as I rocked you from side to side. A few hiccups escaped you as you settled down - last reminders of how hard your sobbing had been - making me smile and threatening to make my heart burst with the love I have for you.
Maybe the noise of Metropolis was too much for him, too. Maybe it wasn't colic.

Let's make a deal, okay? I won't tell your mother about tonight if you won't.
lol Uh-oh, Clark! Keeping secrets from your wife, again?

My heart has been broken since the moment your heart stopped beating. My world shattered. I won't pretend that there haven't been days, weeks, months of good times since then, when I've been around our family. But every day, every happy moment, has been tinged with sadness. I'll think to myself, "I wish Lois could see this," or "Lois would have gotten such a kick out of that." And my heart will bleed anew.
Still wonderful to the end, Clark, you are.

For, soon, Lois, I will be with you. Soon, I will be able to follow you to where you have gone. Soon, we will be reunited once more. Soon, my soul will meet yours and become complete again.

Together, for all eternity.
As it should be.

Thanks for highlighting all the good times, too, DC. clap

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally Posted by Deadly Chakram

Interesting...

Mike

As a programmer I would qualify this as a bug (or maybe lack of nice feature) - There is no warning to a poster that their post is running overlong. (Or maybe there is such a feature and it's not turned on.)

As for the e-mail not matching the post - they are two different processes generated by the same input. The problem is that here, the post is checked for length AFTER the two processes are generated and only the 'save post to DB' leg is truncated - probably while being saved to the DB.

I'm the lead dev on a different forum software so I'm sensitive to things like this.

And back to the story - Loved it.

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi, Virginia! wave Thanks again for the push for me to write this! smile

You had so many beautifully written passages tugging at my heart throughout.

Aww, thanks!

This -- as many of these stories do -- made me think of Alt-Clark and how the poor fellow had to do it alone.

Alt-Clark breaks my heart every time!

Why I write late into the night even though I have to get up early to get the kids ready for school.

I write at night because I'm usually more inspired then. Also, I chase two two-year-olds around all day.

I love the dichotomy of this decision.

I do too. It's so interesting that he hides by becoming famous.

Interesting analysis. Usually when people take people home with them they try to put on airs and impress them. Once again, Clark did the opposite.

I've always seen GGGoH as a turning point in their relationship. And I think a lot of it has to do with Lois seeing Clark so relaxed and in his element - she knows he hasn't put on any airs for her.

Now, Kal-El, that you've reached your 30th Earth year, plenty of time to become a man, it is time to tell you about your birth wife...

rotflol

I love the additions to this familiar phrase.

I do too. Especially since it seems like everything in the universe tries to pull them apart.

Maybe the noise of Metropolis was too much for him, too. Maybe it wasn't colic.

Nah, the lack of oxygen made him pass out. wink

Glad you enjoyed the story! Thanks for reading!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Dandello
Originally Posted by Deadly Chakram

Interesting...

Mike

As a programmer I would qualify this as a bug (or maybe lack of nice feature) - There is no warning to a poster that their post is running overlong. (Or maybe there is such a feature and it's not turned on.)

As for the e-mail not matching the post - they are two different processes generated by the same input. The problem is that here, the post is checked for length AFTER the two processes are generated and only the 'save post to DB' leg is truncated - probably while being saved to the DB.

I'm the lead dev on a different forum software so I'm sensitive to things like this.

And back to the story - Loved it.

Glad you liked it, Dandello!

I should have thought ahead that not all of it would post in one segment. The pure Word doc ran 33 pages and the "board-ready," formatted file ran 45. I've had the occasional issue in the past with super-long files getting cut off mid-way.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Kerth
Kerth
Oh, what a pleasant surprise! Thanks for the shout out. blush

This is a perfect companion to Alone. Clark has a place for quiet reflection in both good times and bad. thumbsup You effectively spoke from Clark's point of view at so many important points in his life, throughout the series and beyond, and it all rang true. I love how he was able to transform his special place, extending it to all of the special people in his life - I, of course, loved the vision of Clark and his baby, the bonding time between them.

The story was beautiful. notworthy

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by groobie
Oh, what a pleasant surprise! Thanks for the shout out. blush

This is a perfect companion to Alone. Clark has a place for quiet reflection in both good times and bad. thumbsup You effectively spoke from Clark's point of view at so many important points in his life, throughout the series and beyond, and it all rang true. I love how he was able to transform his special place, extending it to all of the special people in his life - I, of course, loved the vision of Clark and his baby, the bonding time between them.

The story was beautiful. notworthy

Anytime! Thanks for the push for me to write this, and for the Clark-and-baby inspiration!

Glad you enjoyed the story and that it rang true for you.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Top Banana
Top Banana
This story was absolutely beautiful, and in with the bittersweet ending, it's good to know that Clark won't spend another lifetime without Lois.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Annie B.
This story was absolutely beautiful, and in with the bittersweet ending, it's good to know that Clark won't spend another lifetime without Lois.

Thank you. Glad you enjoyed it. smile

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Here we go again!

Sometimes, he chooses to seek out that perfect isolation to reflect back on all the wonderful things in his life.
Yes, very smart.
CLARK: Lois, I’m happy. I’ll be going now, reflecting on things. Later!

The three musketeers.
Clark, Lois, and Bruce? Clark, Lois, and Jimmy? Clark, Lois, and Herb?
LOIS: Superman, you dolt! /draws line on paper/ See? A *triangle*!
Incidentally, their son failed geometry in high school.

After all, who's to say that I will always land - that I won't just float suspended in air for the rest of my days?
Lois could always tie a string to his leg?

Now, I can give my parents the world.
But will they *want* it?

Together.

Two halves of a whole.

United in a way that I've never felt before.

Divided in a way I've never imagined possible too.

Superman.
And yet, there’s stories where Clark and Superman get separated into distinct entities.
CLARK: help
LOIS: drool

Too many times to count, even though Superman is barely out of his infancy, she's managed to say just the right words to me
[Linked Image]

Together.

For the first time, I feel like I might have a chance at finding love and the happily ever after I've always imagined for myself. If only she would see it that way.
RALPH: Sounds just like I did before I got slapped with that stalker conviction.

The most exquisite woman on the face of the planet. I know, I've looked. A woman of rare beauty - the soft brown eyes like two pools of chocolate, the soft, shoulder-length hair, the poise and bearing that challenges anyone to dare and mess with her, a soft smile so rare but so bright it's like a comet streaking through the darkness of space - there and gone in an instant, but making a man feel all the luckier for having witnessed it.
Awww she’s such an amalgamation of opposites.

and maybe it's true that the world has somehow hardened her, but I can see through the stone walls of defense she's built around herself for protection.
LOIS: razz I knew I should have used lead paint…

She feels she works better on her own. Maybe she does. Maybe I'm just dragging her down.

I'm still glad to be partnered with her.
LOIS: See? Coat tails.

Surely it was all just a dream - nothing else could explain it - securing my dream job and being partnered with one of the greatest journalists of modern times, all in one fell swoop.
PERRY: I felt so too. Lois could use a good partner.
LOIS: cat

Her defensive walls are still up, but she's lowered them enough for me to sneak small peeks into what she hides beyond them - her heart.
clap

The crest of El. Like medieval knights, it seems that they - and maybe all Kryptonians, for all I know - wore sigils upon them, announcing their family and history.
It’s important to prevent accidental deaths during blood feuds.

Ask anyone: it's not possible to dislike Jonathan and Martha Kent.
LOIS: And believe me, I *tried*!

Will I one day awaken in the middle of the night once again, to find more of my past revealed?
ZARA: wave

Which means that I've always been able to breathe a sigh of relief that there is a slim chance, at best, of anyone else connecting Clark and Superman.
To be fair, Lois knows Clark Kent to be a clumsy, a bit weak-minded greenhorn, while Superman is the strong-willed, shining super hero. It’s like looking at Jar Jar Binks and then Darth Sidious and seeing two different people.

I won't have to do it with my heart breaking in two. I'll simply be able to be me - fully, unrestrained, completely honestly me.
And then, when the kiss is over, he has to let go of her. Can’t follow her inside and well…let nature take its course.
CLARK: sad No plan’s perfect?

I asked her to marry me and she didn't say yes. But, then again, she didn't say no either. Instead, she let me know that the fragile mask of Superman had broken in her eyes.
Isn’t he adorable? Still thinks that that’s a good thing.

There would be no more hiding, no more lying, no more running from her with a flimsy - if any - excuse, knowing that she probably thought the worst of me.
So, his dumping her because ‘she got hurt’…?

What if Nor had succeeded in killing me? Would he have murdered Lois too, just to spite the memory of me?
NOR: Why waste a perfectly good concubine? confused
JABBA: Onga una ota. Juga! *)
*) Kill her. Quickly!

while Lois slumbers away in my apartment, safe and snug beneath the blankets of my bed. I should be with her, I know.
So it’s not so innocent and safe?

Tonight, my brain is firing at lightning speed and rest is as elusive as a unicorn.
But he’s unicorn bait. Shouldn’t that make things easier?

Together.

Bonded together for all eternity.

Husband and wife.
BARON TEMPUS: And they will never be able to consummate their love [Linked Image] Together alone for eternity! [Linked Image]

What God has joined, no man, nor beast, nor villain, nor space rock, nor circumstance, nor superhero will ever be able to tear asunder.
LINDA KING: wave:
TIME LORD: wave

Up here, we are our own, unique little microcosm.
Wouldn’t it be embarrassing if she got hit by a micro meteorite while they’re up there, nicking a major blood vessel but noticing it at first? Only when they get back down and Clark lets go of her, she makes a wrong move and bleeds out within 30 seconds.
CLARK: shock The author *said* not even a superhero would be able to tear us asunder!

not quite urging me back home, to our bedroom, but whispering promises of what's still to come when we return and reminding me of what we've already experienced.
LOIS: …and then, Herb shows up and we get to do another trip down the timeline, playing around with our past and future selves…

It makes my breath hitch in my throat to think that, of all of the men who populate this planet, that I'm the one she's chosen to spend her life with.
LOIS: Well…he killed/let die or drove away most of the other suitors…
CLARK: I never touched a hair on Ralph’s body!
LOIS: [Linked Image]

Young lives to guide, helping them to choose to better this planet.
CLARK: Little Lois, where did you find this bar of gold with Metro Reserve Bank stamped on top? [Linked Image] I *told* you not to play ‘kick the wall’ behind the bank.

I never even really meant to take you up here. Not now. Not while you're still so tiny and fragile and new. But it happened, and I'm glad it did.
Awww

She's always been so tenacious, so unwilling to accept what she's been told. She questions everything and fights back in every way that she knows how.
So, continuous attempts at baby making then?

Somehow, absently, at some point, I floated away from the ground and into the air above the house. I was so wrapped up in studying your perfect face, nestled amid the warm blankets swaddled around you, that I simply forgot to keep my abilities in check.
And what if the neighbors saw?

Together, for all eternity.
smile

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yes, very smart.
CLARK: Lois, I’m happy. I’ll be going now, reflecting on things. Later!

Lois: Get back here and help your son with his common core math!
Clark: <flies away faster>

Incidentally, their son failed geometry in high school.

Never advanced past the "trying to smush a square peg in a round hole" stage from his babyhood, huh?

But will they *want* it?

Jonathan: Are you kidding? I've wanted to see Bermuda for years!

RALPH: Sounds just like I did before I got slapped with that stalker conviction.

Henderson: Hey! You're violating the 500 feet rule! <runs after Ralph>

It’s important to prevent accidental deaths during blood feuds.

House Lannister: What is this "accidental" of which you speak?

To be fair, Lois knows Clark Kent to be a clumsy, a bit weak-minded greenhorn, while Superman is the strong-willed, shining super hero. It’s like looking at Jar Jar Binks and then Darth Sidious and seeing two different people.

Jar Jar: Mesa wanna be a dark lord! Mesa already destroyed some movies.

Lois: <glares at Clark and waits for an answer>
Clark: peep

NOR: Why waste a perfectly good concubine? confused
JABBA: Onga una ota. Juga! *)
*) Kill her. Quickly!

Boba Fett: Can I shoot first?

But he’s unicorn bait. Shouldn’t that make things easier?

smile1

BARON TEMPUS: And they will never be able to consummate their love Together alone for eternity!

Ariana Luthor: Eh, you get used to it.

LOIS: …and then, Herb shows up and we get to do another trip down the timeline, playing around with our past and future selves…

Clark: But I'm *married* now! I don't wanna play with myself!

LOIS: Well…he killed/let die or drove away most of the other suitors…
CLARK: I never touched a hair on Ralph’s body!
LOIS: <whistles>

rotflol clap

So, continuous attempts at baby making then?

Clark: I am okay with that.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner

Lois: Get back here and help your son with his common core math!
Clark: <flies away faster>
clap

Never advanced past the "trying to smush a square peg in a round hole" stage from his babyhood, huh?
[Linked Image]

House Lannister: What is this "accidental" of which you speak?
laugh Like the one that happened in the privy chamber.
CERSEI: That was *no* accident. And I’m going to have his head for this!
Or the one during the second wedding’s feast?
CERSEI: mecry mad mecry mad

Jar Jar: Mesa wanna be a dark lord! Mesa already destroyed some movies.
DARTH SIDIOUS: shock

Lois: <glares at Clark and waits for an answer>
Clark: /has gone to get chocolates. Again…/
CLARK: She’s going to end up fat if I have to feed like that.
LOIS: cat

Clark: But I'm *married* now! I don't wanna play with myself!
rotflol
LOIS: Neither do I. And yet, he leaves me alone each night to ‘make sure the city is safe’.

Clark: I am okay with that.
LOIS: Good to know. But it’s not like he’s got a vote.

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard