[Previously: Cedric has challenged his Uncle Lucius to a duel.]

Chapter Thirteen

The next few moments were forever after a blur for Lavinia. With her heart pounding mercilessly, she watched as Cedric and Lucius divested themselves of their coats and boots and rolled up their sleeves, while Jacques compared the two weapons in the small meadow next to the road. All too soon, everything was ready; the first touch of steel upon steel could be heard, and the duel had begun.

Lavinia knew very little about the art of duelling but, even if she could have followed the battle with the eye of an expert, her love for Cedric would still have prevented her from doing anything except worry about his safety. The confrontations at Kentham that morning and the long ride to her rescue must surely, she reasoned, have aggravated a wound too newly healed. Not only that, but he had to be fatigued ... what if he couldn't outlast Lucius? What if, because of all that he'd been through, his sword arm wasn't as true as it should be? She didn't want to think these things, but she couldn't seem to stop herself.

A movement just to her left caused her to glance that way, and she was finally able to breathe more normally, for she saw Jacques standing at the ready, with his pistol aimed at Lucius. She remembered that Jacques had once sworn to kill Lucius, if he should ever try to harm Cedric. It appeared that he was now preparing to do just that.

Everyone was staring intently at the two duelling men, even Lucius' highwaymen. Perhaps they believed that a victory by the Earl would mean freedom for them but, from the looks on the faces of the grooms and the way they still gripped their cudgels, Lavinia did not think that the thieves' hopes would be fulfilled, no matter the outcome of the duel.

"Ah! Master Cedric!" Hinkling cried. "That were a good one, sur!"

Lavinia turned slightly to the head groom, while still watching her love. "Cedric ... he is doing well, oui?"

"Ay, that 'e is, missy ... er, mamzelle, I should say, beggin' your pardon," he replied, keeping his voice low. "You see, I used to watch Master John and Master Charles, when they would practice in the field near the stables. I was nobbut one of the lads then, mamzelle, but they let me 'old their coats, and I could 'ear wot Master John would say to his little brother ... Cedric's da, that was." Hinkling's eyes had never left the combatants, even though he'd inclined his head respectfully in Lavinia's direction. "Ay," he repeated, "Master Cedric's doin' jest fine."

Around him the other men solemnly nodded their heads in agreement. Although Lavinia had no way of knowing if they knew anything about duelling or not, it did cheer her to see them all so confident. However, it didn't prevent her from gasping every time Lucius lunged towards Cedric.

The fight had been going on for several minutes, and to Lavinia it was obvious that Cedric was tiring. She wasn't sure if the others could see it yet, but she, who had so recently been his nurse and near constant companion, knew the little signs which bespoke of weariness and discomfort, and she began to be afraid again. "Oh, bon Dieu, please protect him!" A glance at Hinkling told her that he was not yet concerned, but when she looked at the group of grooms her uneasiness grew. Something about them was wrong, but she couldn't put her finger on what that something might be.

Quickly she turned towards where Jacques had been standing, and noticed that he'd moved forward a couple of steps. His pistol was still at the ready, a fact which was both consoling and disquieting. She was glad that he was watching out for Cedric, but worried that he'd felt it necessary to move closer to his young master. She looked back at the grooms again, and understood what had bothered her before. One of them--the nosy bridle polisher--was missing.

Then, suddenly, it was over. Lavinia saw Lucius, his face a mask of anger and hate, lunging ferociously at Cedric--surely Cedric would be killed!--and she screamed. Hardly had her scream died away, when it was replaced by a cheer from the grooms. She took her fingers down from in front of her eyes just in time to see Lucius dropping his sword from nerveless fingers while a stain of blood spread down the right sleeve of his white shirt.

Cedric had won!

Almost like one hypnotised, Lavinia began to walk towards Cedric, watching for any movement or expression that might tell her how he was feeling, what he was thinking. Her eyes were only for him and, as he turned to her, and she could see his smile grow at the sight of her, she began to run. Tears blurred her vision slightly, but nothing could slow her down. She was vaguely aware that a couple of the grooms had rushed past her on their way to secure Lucius, but the last thing she wanted to think about at that moment was Lucius! Her love was coming back to her, whole and safe, and her heart was near to bursting with joy.

Cedric was two steps from her when the shot rang out.

[Author's note: my apologies for another delay in posting. Christmas is getting ever closer and so many things are pulling me from the computer. The best distraction is, of course, that new grandson! :-) I've decided to go ahead and post the rest of the story as I currently have it written. I'm planning to also write an epilogue to tell what the characters do in the coming months and years. But the story as it now stands is complete enough that I won't leave you with a cliffhanger. :-) ]