Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#86783 05/22/12 08:15 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Comments? Again. Just bored. laugh

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Superman found himself in need of a method for people to contact him.
For when "Help! Superman!" just doesn't cut it.

And so, it was with great remorse, that Superman got a cell phone.
1-800-BLUERED? 1-800-SUPEMAN? 1-800-IFLYYOU?

Now Clark loved his own phone- sure it didn't have all of the bells and whistles that Lois' phone had, but he didn't care about that stuff. He didn't need most of it- and any games or applications would simply go to waste, what with his double-booked schedule.
So, he's not into Angry Birds?

Not to mention, in case he had to answer it at work, then it shouldn't look any different from his regular phone.
So, it's not blue and red with a big S on it?

The second time he answered it, he was at the Planet, and though his pulse rate spiked in fear that someone would pick up on the differences, nobody did.
Does it play the L&C:TNAOS theme when it rings?

The third time he answered it, he was in public. As Superman. People were shocked to see Superman talking on his cell phone, and it ended up sprawled across every newspaper or tabloid within a hundred miles. (No kidding. Even the Gotham Gazette picked it up.)
And Batman laughed and wondered why Superman refused to play games. He was bored and wanted to play Words With Friends.

He did this on a fairly regular basis just for safety's sake.
Sounds reasonable. Also, those prank calls asking it he had Prince Albert in a can got to be annoying.

Then, one day, way down the road, Superman answered his phone, "Go for Kent."
Whoopsie!

He quickly ended the call with his wife and sheepishly smiled at his audience. "Uh, well... I guess the cat's out of the bag."
And this is why little white lies are acceptable, Clark.

His inquisitive brown eyes peered up at her just barely over the covers. "Is that really how great-grandpa told the world he was Superman?"
Ooh! *Great* grandpa! Me likey.

"Then how did he do it?"
<gives Mouse puppydog eyes>

Hmm. Well, it's a long story- full of intrigue and romance and action and chaos- and great-grandma Lois almost killing him.
rotflol

But something that complicated sounds like a story for another night, don't you think?
This had better be a promise, missy! laugh

Cute little story! I thoroughly enjoyed it! I do wonder how old Laura's son was though. Just a thought.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
clap I love the story within a story. "Go for Kent" - Really, Clark? :rolleyes: Lois is going to kill him, isn't she? Oh, wait, didn't Laura say something about Lois almost killing him? This is why everyone should contact Superman through Lois Lane. If it's urgent, she can just stand at the nearest window and shout his name.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Deadly Chakram: Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it.
1-800-BLUERED 1-800-SUPEMAN 1-800-IFLYYOU
No. Really? No. That's not legit. It can't be. Great. Now I actually have to call and find out... and I hate calling people... Until the morning, I suppose. wink
So, it's not blue and red with a big S on it?
laugh No. But I did think about that for a prank or something. I'm sure Batman would consider pulling it off.
Does it play the L&C:TNAOS theme when it rings?
evil
I do wonder how old Laura's son was though. Just a thought.
/shrugs/ Six?

Thanks for commenting!

--Mark Twain
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
clap I love the story within a story. "Go for Kent" - Really, Clark? :rolleyes: Lois is going to kill him, isn't she? Oh, wait, didn't Laura say something about Lois almost killing him? This is why everyone should contact Superman through Lois Lane. If it's urgent, she can just stand at the nearest window and shout his name.
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed this. Yes. Lois is always at the ready with some lethal means of bringing someone down. And surely she has enough dirt on her own husband to bring him down even without Kryptonite...

But if everybody calls Lois, who will be around to get kidnapped and whatnot? :p And, more likely, who will they call when Lois is kidnapped?

--Mark Twain
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Thank you for a great way to begin the morning! rotflol

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
A cute story that cries out for a sequel. You will be writing the story of how he actually did tell the world, right? Right?

Joy,
Lynn

T
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
T
This was a cute little story. Almost had me with the end of the story within the story wink .

Now Clark loved his own phone- sure it didn't have all of the bells and whistles that Lois' phone had, but he didn't care about that stuff. He didn't need most of it- and any games or applications would simply go to waste, what with his double-booked schedule.
I thought like that once upon a time, now I would hate to not have my smart phone, you should try it Clark. evil

I think you have written yourself into a corner about the real story now, trust me they won't stop bugging you now. laugh

I've never felt so accepted in all my life. These people look deep within my soul and assign me a number based on the order in which I joined.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Very cute. Nice way to start the day. rotflol

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
Cute smile

Joan

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Lol Loved it. I like your responses too.

[QUOTE]Does it play the L&C:TNAOS theme when it rings?[QUOTE]

ROfl

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
T
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
T
I wouldn't want a phone that was smarter than me.

Very cute story. I was a little put off by the bedtime-story feel to it until I found out that, indeed, it was a bedtime story!. In that case, it's quite wonderful (in the literal sense of the word).

Poor great-grandpa Clark! Why didn't he just say something like, "That's a code name I use to answer this phone." It would have been true! But, then, it wouldn't have made such a sweet story for the little guy (whom I envisioned to be about four, but my kids were always brilliant).

I think it should play the Mos Eisley cantina theme when it rings. (You can find it here.)

A possible sequel? Wonderful news! I shall read it with wonder in my heart and childish awe in my mind.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
That was a really cute vignette. But on my cell, I say Hello. Does every one else say, for instance, "Go for Mouserocks"? See, if he'd just said "Hello" we wouldn't have such a cute story.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Artemis:
That was a really cute vignette. But on my cell, I say Hello. Does every one else say, for instance, "Go for Mouserocks"? See, if he'd just said "Hello" we wouldn't have such a cute story.
cool
Artemis
Well, I could see on a professional cell maybe "Kent here" or "Hello, this is Clark Kent." Never heard "Go Kent," used though. Still, we wouldn't have a story without the slip up. smile

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Wow! Thanks for all the reviews, guys!

Morgana: No problem. wink Glad you got a clap Yes!
A possible sequel? Wonderful news! I shall read it with wonder in my heart and childish awe in my mind.
Er... /backpedals/ Wonder? Childlike awe? I think you're mistaking me for another author... (see siggy) evil

Artemis: Glad you liked it. As far as the answering thing, it depends. I know a couple of people who answer their phones like that- professional cases only, usually. Actually, my own great-grandfather used to say "Go for Bill" when he answered the phone for work- because Bill wasn't his real name, just his work one. And then he could quickly differentiate his callers, from Bill or Mouse's great-grandpa. wink

--Mark Twain
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Originally posted by Deadly Chakram:
Originally posted by Artemis:
[b] That was a really cute vignette. But on my cell, I say Hello. Does every one else say, for instance, "Go for Mouserocks"? See, if he'd just said "Hello" we wouldn't have such a cute story.
cool
Artemis
Well, I could see on a professional cell maybe "Kent here" or "Hello, this is Clark Kent." Never heard "Go Kent," used though. Still, we wouldn't have a story without the slip up. smile [/b]
What's the point of any story on here if Clark didn't slip up somewhere? wink

I agree though. I've never answered my phone saying "Go for Mouse." Although now that it's out there... CHALLENGE ACCEPTED! ... Ah, who am I kidding. I don't answer phones... ever, if I can help it. I listen to the message and if it's pressing, I call back. :p Paranoid little thing, aren't I?

--Mark Twain
Kerth
Kerth
Superman's communications needs have always been a problem - shouting "Help Superman" doesn't really cut it if you're 500 miles from Metropolis.

There are a few problems with an ordinary cell for Superman, of course; it's easy to trace their location, and there are problems if they're used at high altitudes - your call uses bandwidth on hundreds of cells instead of the four or five nearest a caller on the ground. Satellite might be a better answer, but they're conspicuous and traceable, unless you have some cooperation from the satellite service provider - note that Bruce Wayne owns various telecommunications companies.

What he needs really is an untraceable phone satellite phone disguised as an ordinary cell phone, with a different number for each class of caller, and a different ring tone that identifies which number has been used, plus something (preferably something ultrasonic nobody else can hear) to identify known callers e.g. a warning that Lois is calling him as Superman and he should respond in character even though it's her.

Fortunately the WayneTech of my Supergirl Returns universe can supply these at very reasonable rates, and I'm sure that H.G. Wells can help Clark get there to cut a deal...

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I have heard things like "This is (fill in name) Go!"

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Thanks, Marcus.
shouting "Help Superman" doesn't really cut it if you're 500 miles from Metropolis
100% agree with you there. Sure, Clark Kent works in journalism, and can somewhat catch the news as it happens- but not always on time, and not as Superman. People must wonder how their hero gets all of those overseas calls.
There are a few problems with an ordinary cell for Superman, of course; it's easy to trace their location, and there are problems if they're used at high altitudes - your call uses bandwidth on hundreds of cells instead of the four or five nearest a caller on the ground. Satellite might be a better answer, but they're conspicuous and traceable, unless you have some cooperation from the satellite service provider - note that Bruce Wayne owns various telecommunications companies.

What he needs really is an untraceable phone satellite phone disguised as an ordinary cell phone, with a different number for each class of caller, and a different ring tone that identifies which number has been used, plus something (preferably something ultrasonic nobody else can hear) to identify known callers e.g. a warning that Lois is calling him as Superman and he should respond in character even though it's her.
I thought about the ultrasonic ringtone thing. It would make sense- though I'd imagine it would drive the neighborhood dogs crazy. I'd imagine Wayne would let Supes have one of his special phones. A Lois ringtone would be funny. Hmm...

Of course, if I'd made any of that happen, there wouldn't be much of a story... wink

--Mark Twain
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Mouse!

And so, it was with great remorse, that Superman got a cell phone.
/rubs hands/ How did they not go crazy with advertising?

Not to mention, in case he had to answer it at work, then it shouldn't look any different from his regular phone.
Uh-oh.

due to some criminals or nosy reporters getting ahold of it and harassing him.
Like Lois, when she wants to know when he’ll be home?

Then, one day, way down the road, Superman answered his phone, "Go for Kent."
Oops? That’s why I answer my phone with a ‘yes’.

But the crowd surrounding him at the scene of the rescue did not know that.
Oops?

He quickly ended the call with his wife and sheepishly smiled at his audience. "Uh, well... I guess the cat's out of the bag."
[Linked Image] Lois isn’t going to be happy about that one. [Linked Image]

"The End," Laura shut the book and set it on her son's night table carefully.
Oh, it’s a *story*!

"Is that really how great-grandpa told the world he was Superman?"
Oh boy.

"Hmm. Well, it's a long story- full of intrigue and romance and action and chaos- and great-grandma Lois almost killing him. And eventually, there's a happy ending. But something that complicated sounds like a story for another night, don't you think?"
wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard