ShayneT Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Well, what do you think?

#53224 06/21/08 11:11 AM
Kerth
Kerth
It's a shame you aren't writing the real comics - maybe they'd be more readable.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#53225 06/21/08 12:51 PM
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
It hadn’t been the interview he’d been hoping for, but ...The world was changing, and he planned to be there to document it all.
So the US Government and Agents White and Randal need to figure out. Well done.

Superman…in Nelson’s mind anyone who was literally faster than a speeding bullet pretty much had to be Superman
And so it begins, want to bet his voice overs refer to "Superman" not "the man in the Superman costume"?

Framework4
#53226 06/21/08 03:46 PM
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I like how you used your reader's feedback to make for a stronger story. You represented both points of view very well, treating both viewpoints with an equal amount of respect. In this day and age it is very rare to see balanced reporting in any media, so it is refreshing to see a balanced view here.

Elisabeth

#53227 06/21/08 04:47 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Thank you for this post.

It was well done.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
#53228 06/21/08 09:20 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Very interesting. Agent White is arguing with Lois from a standpoint of fear and cynicism. Everybody is just out to protect themselves. Governments are just working their lower anatomies off to make sure that nobody gets anything for free. And everybody is just trying to take advantage of everyone else and make everyone else look bad.

And Superman is horribly dangerous.

“So what happens when China announces that it's acquired the one being on earth who can fly faster than any missile, who can break into any military base and who can presumably be the most effective spy in history, able to listen in on every secret conference, able to steal every piece of technology…a being who is reputedly so unstoppable that using him is nothing short of an act of war.”
I think it was IolantheAlias who first said that the Superman suit had a power of its own, because people know what it stands for and what the man who wears it is all about. Well, clearly the government that Agent White works for doesn't know that. It doesn't dare to trust. Even when the people in that government see that "the man in the Superman suit" is behaving exactly like every child would expect Superman to behave, they only think of how dangerous this flying man can be. Dangerous to them, presumably. So what if this Superman helps ordinary people, if he can be dangerous to them? To the government?

Wow. It's like the old Communist bloc all over again.

I very much appreciated this:

“People have the luxury of compassion,” Agent White said. “Governments don't. Governments are built around suspicion and paranoia and a lust for power.”

“Maybe your government…” Lois began.

The government she'd grown up with hadn't been like that, except in little ways.
That's true! It didn't use to be that way. It doesn't have to be that way!

The descriptions of what Clark had to do at the disaster sites in China were horrible. Particularly when he had to amputate limbs. The very thought of it is almost unbearable. Clark thought so himself, too. I have read so many Superman comic books in my life, but Superman never had to amputate anyone in any of those.

The whole earthquake scene in China was so gripping. Clark was so absolutely human and so completely heroic at the same time.

Back to Lois's situation in the United States. She is being locked up, held in 'protective custody'. :rolleyes: But she suddenly realizes what Agent White has to lose in all this:

If they were looking for a scapegoat, Agent White was a likely candidate. He'd participated in the cover-up, he'd been in charge and he was presumably more easily disposed of than some of the other candidates.
That explains some of Agent White's bad mood, at least. (And things were like that in the old Communist bloc, too, where all these officials tried so hard not to put themselves in positions where they could become scapegoats.)

“They ordered that the whole thing be kept concealed,” Agent White said. “They thought it would lead to panic.”

A flicker on the screen to her right showed MSNBC showing pictures of a major traffic jam in Denver.

A certain portion of the population had suddenly decided to take a vacation all at the same time, despite repeated government statements that the situation had been contained. Unfortunately, the people in the affected areas weren't the ones who were leaving. People living in the shadow of oil refineries usually didn't have the resources to go anywhere else.

“There have already been twelve deaths attributed to the congested traffic,” Agent White said. “And people are talking about resignations and criminal charges.”
Wow. Wow. This reminds me of what happened in 1938, when Orson Wells made a radio dramatization of H. G. Wells' (hi, Herbert) novel War of the Worlds. A lot of people didn't realize that they were listening to a radio dramatization of a novel, and instead they thought that they were listening to the live news coverage of an actual invasion of hostile and super-powerful Martians on the Earth. A lot of people fled back then, too, and several were killed in the panic. At least I think that a lot of people were killed, although I can't swear that that part of the story isn't an urban legend.

“I guess they decided to dress for the occasion,” Mihoshi said.

It took Nelson a moment to realize what she was saying. At least half the crowd was wearing some sort of Superman insignia on their t-shirts. The rest were dressed more normally, but the shirts, mostly white stood out in the dimness of the night.
Wow. I love the tribute these people are paying to Superman.

And they are so well-behaved, too:

In America that sort of mob would have been screaming, loud, raucous. This crowd was eerily silent, a sea of faces and grasping hands that reached out to touch him as though to assure themselves that he was real.
Hmmmm. I read something very interesting on the Newsweek site yesterday. It was an article about today's world leaders and how much confidence they inspire worldwide. Overall, the world has little confidence in its most influential leaders. George Bush, Vladimir Putin, Chinese Prime Minister Hu and a few others - they all got a confidence vote of between 22 and 38% worldwide. Not too good. But an extremely interesting thing was that people in the United States were particularly distrustful of today's leaders, whereas people in China were trusting and hopeful. If I remember correctly, more than 80% of the Chinese had faith in their own leaders. And, interestingly, they generally had faith in other leaders, too. Vladimir Putin was very popular among the Chinese. George Bush, too, scored better in China than he did in most other countries.

Conclusion: In China, people are optimistic and hopeful. In America, they are not, at least not as hopeful and optimistic as they used to be.

And if people in China are optimistic and hopeful, it stands to reason that they would believe in Superman, too.

But some Americans are really beginning to believe, too:

Superman…in Nelson's mind anyone who was literally faster than a speeding bullet pretty much had to be Superman
Yes, if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...! It's a bird, it's a plane, it's... Superman!!!! Really!!!

What a fascinating story this is, Shayne!

Ann

#53229 06/22/08 07:46 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hi Shayne!

Here I am, sitting in my holiday hotel in Spain, struggling with an unfamiliar keyboard (where is the Y??? Ah yes....), and I have to tell you, that I´m not able to leave my usual long reviews with quotes! Sorry for that!

But I love this chapter, especially the end! Yes, our world seems to be changing, and I would SO like to see that in reality!

All those people with Superman t-shirts and candles... they already have understood what the governments don´t want to understand!

And the horrible scene when Clark had to use his heat vision in a way he never thought of before - and throwing up afterwards... so very human! As I wrote some time ago, no picture perfect Superman from the comics, but a real person with feelings!

I will be keeping watch from the hotel internet corner for the next chapter! Please, soon!

#53230 06/22/08 11:12 AM
S
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
S
Uh-oh! I've got a really bad feeling about where this is going...
“I guess they decided to dress for the occasion,” Mihoshi said.

It took Nelson a moment to realize what she was saying. At least half the crowd was wearing some sort of Superman insignia on their t-shirts. The rest were dressed more normally, but the shirts, mostly white stood out in the dimness of the night.

“Tell Joe to get some footage of this,” Nelson said when several people began handing out candles.

They were lit, and Nelson saw that the crowd had grown even more than he had thought. Almost a thousand people were standing around the parting lot talking quietly among themselves.

When one man pointed into the sky, the whole sea of faces began to turn and stare in one direction.
Reaching the end of the crowd, he turned and spoke for the first time.

“Be good to each other,” he said.

A moment later he was airborne and out of sight.

Somewhere someone began a slow chant, and the gathering turned into some sort of prayer for the dead.

At the cameraman’s curt nod, Nelson relaxed. It hadn’t been the interview he’d been hoping for, but they had the government’s promise of a helicopter ride further inland.

The world was changing, and he planned to be there to document it all.
Shayne, is Clark (that is, 'the guy in the "Superman" suit') becoming the unwitting object of a religious movement?!?

I don't think I've ever read a L&C story where such a thing was explored in any great detail before. Just the thought of it creeps me out!

And I'm sure that Clark would feel the same way, and vehemently deny, on every news medium available, that that was ever his intent. But, in spite of his best efforts, I can see such a movement getting away from him.

MPMPMPMPMPMP (MP = More Please)

--Snave

#53231 06/22/08 04:04 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Another great chapter!

Fascinating dialogue between Lois and Agent White. The funny thing is, everything Agent White says is correct — but he's still missing the point.

You can't live your life in fear of all the things that can go wrong. You have to weigh the risks and make your choices. Absolute safety is impossible, and in the attempt to grasp it, we risk losing much or all that is meaningful in life. Reaching out to and trusting strangers can lead to pain — or worse — but if we don't, we miss so many opportunities.

I don't want to get into political details because I don't want to hijack Shayne's comment thread. I'll just say there are two ways of looking at the world: the way Agent White does, and the way Clark does. I prefer Clark's way.

#53232 06/22/08 05:03 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Yes, Shayne, another excellent chapter.

so, the machine in France is turned off, and the anomalies won't show up again unless they're triggered from the other side. But that doesn't explain where those extinct crustaceans came from, not to mention the passenger pigeons. That means that either the rifts cross both space and time, or they're joining this world with random other worlds (or dimensions), and it's unlikely that the "other world" would be triggering the same type of events. If that were the case, then these rifts would have been showing up long before now.

However, the "reaching across time" part of my conjecture might mean that they can send Clark back with the plane and its passengers to the moment he first crossed over. Superman can make his debut, Lois can be on the plane with Lucy, and Clark can set the plane down short of the runway but safe so Lois can make her escape in the confusion.

Of course, that leaves two hundred people with the knowledge that Clark is Superman, but maybe he should just go public anyway. Lana won't like that, but by now it's clear that Clark isn't even thinking about her any more. Whatever Lana wants, Lana isn't getting, not in this reality.

I don't think Clark would be able to do his "super" job under the political situation you've outlined in your story. And I sincerely doubt that Lois will want to stay, especially if she thinks she has any kind of chance to regain her family and make a real difference in her new world.

I'm sure Clark would be willing to help her get re-settled. Right in his living room. Lois would probably be willing to contribute to Lana's airfare back to Smallville, too.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#53233 06/22/08 06:01 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
so, the machine in France is turned off, and the anomalies won't show up again unless they're triggered from the other side. But that doesn't explain where those extinct crustaceans came from, not to mention the passenger pigeons. That means that either the rifts cross both space and time, or they're joining this world with random other worlds (or dimensions), and it's unlikely that the "other world" would be triggering the same type of events. If that were the case, then these rifts would have been showing up long before now.
I'm hoping it's something from Clark's world interfering with the LHC, so that the entire particle physics community doesn't cease to exist, as the LHC is pretty much the only game in town...
I don't think Clark would be able to do his "super" job under the political situation you've outlined in your story. And I sincerely doubt that Lois will want to stay, especially if she thinks she has any kind of chance to regain her family and make a real difference in her new world.
I can see that, but I also wonder if Clark could turn things around in this world by the example he sets. I get the feeling he is indeed going to go home at some point, but in keeping with the "Veritas" theme, perhaps he won't; there's no guarantee there's a safe way to do it.
I'm sure Clark would be willing to help her get re-settled. Right in his living room. Lois would probably be willing to contribute to Lana's airfare back to Smallville, too.
rotflol

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard