A/N: This follows the events of An Unexpected Twist.
EDIT: I'm planning to have this and Twist be part of a series of shorts. So, if you want to see more of this universe, just expect...the Unexpected. wink

Unexpected Baggage
----------

“Your date canceled on you?”

Lois glanced pointedly at the phone Clark had just set back on its cradle. He lifted his head from his hands, looking for all the world like a man on the brink of despair.

“Worse,” her partner mumbled. “My babysitter.”

She reached over to give him a sympathetic pat on the shoulder. “Parents not in town?”

He shook his head. “They had to go back to Kansas.”

“Want to try asking Cat, again?” she asked, grinning.

He glared at her.

It had been two months since the Planet's newest reporter had tried to offer Cat money for a huge personal favor. Someone in the newsroom had overheard, apparently resulting in Clark having to have a very awkward conversation with the HR department. On the plus side, the Planet's upcoming daycare facility had gotten bumped up from “pipe dream” to “possibly within this lifetime”.

It was a shame, she thought to herself. Clark was a nice guy. He clearly loved the two small children whose photo graced his desk, and he never spoke negatively about his ex. Whenever pressed, he would only shake his head and reply that he didn't want to discuss her. Of course, it was possible that the woman was dead...

Lois shook her head, suddenly remembering yesterday's conversation with Superman and the stunning revelation about his own little “technically-adopted” family. Had it been anyone else, Lois would have thrown the idea of multiple universes and alternate selves right out the window; however, discussing it with a flying alien made the idea just a little bit more believable.

“Maybe you can work alone tonight,” Clark muttered, slumping in his chair. “It looks like I'll have to go home early.”

She thought about it. “How about if we just go over everything at your place?” she asked with a shrug.

His shoulders tensed. “My place?”

“I could bring pizza,” Lois offered. She frowned. “Um, do your kids eat pizza?”

“I don't know,” Clark answered, nervously.

“Well, I guess there's always mac and cheese,” she responded.

“I mean,” said Clark, “I don't know if you coming over is such a good idea.”

“Why not?” Lois asked with a laugh. “I mean, I'm not *that* terrible with kids, Clark. It's not like I'm babysitting them; you'll be right there!”

“Uh...” He gave a nervous chuckle. “Well, it might be hard to get any work done with them underfoot.”

Lois snorted. “As if we're making much progress anyway,” she groused. “At least we can try, right? I mean, it'll be better than nothing.”

The worried look remained on his face. “Um....”

“And besides,” she said, “we're friends, aren't we? And friends meet other friends' kids eventually, right?”

“Uh...”

“I'll bring a large extra-cheese,” she decided, and returned to her desk.

The pizza was still nice and hot when Lois marched up to the door of Clark's apartment. Much to her surprise, he opened the door before she had a chance to knock.

“Hi, Lois,” he whispered.

Lois stepped into the darkened room, confused. “Clark?”

“Shh!” He pressed a finger to his lips, then took the pizza box from her hands. “The kids are asleep.”

“This Early?!” she exclaimed. He shot her a look, though the darkness made it hard to tell. “This early?” she whispered.

“Well, you know,” he said softly. “Early to bed, early to rise—”

The light clicked on. Lois blinked, nearly blinded by the sudden illumination. A little girl in a pink nightgown stood at the mouth of a short hallway, staring at Lois with wide eyes.

“Oh, hi!” Lois began. “You must be—”

“MOMMY!” She launched herself at Lois like a tiny, dark-haired missile.

Lois stared at the girl now wrapped around her legs. She stared at Clark, whose face was now buried in his hands. “Clark!” she demanded. “Explain this. Now.”

He lowered his hands from his face. She saw his mouth work, but heard no sound. Finally, he gave a deep sigh. “Okay. I...okay.” He met her eyes again, looking resigned. “Some time ago, a man came to me; he was from a world very much like our Earth...”

TBC...

Last edited by Queen of the Capes; 01/13/18 11:41 PM.

~•~