My Own Worst Enemy
Folc4evernaday
Chapter 16

Present Day…

Lois stared at her father uneasily, “I thought you said this Darryl character was in charge.”

Sam looked down at his hands, “He was. I was duped...manipulated into thinking I had the upper hand.” He took a deep breath, “Lois, I would never do anything to hurt you. You have to know that.”

Lois wiped the tears in her eyes, “But you did!” Her voice cracked as she spoke to him. “You did everyday for five years. You went to work for Intergang and you didn’t tell anyone. You performed tests that are probably the reason Clark still has nightmares from his time in captivity. You hurt me. You hurt him. You hurt Jamie. In all of this you hurt Jon.”

“I didn’t know it was connected to you or Clark.” Sam pleaded with her. “Do you really think I would purposefully hurt you?”

“I don’t know!” Lois shouted at him. “I don’t know anything anymore. You keep hiding stuff from me. You said you got rid of the meteorite and the files Intergang had on us and then we find out that’s not true when someone breaks into your vault. All I know is I can’t trust you right now.”

“Then let me prove it to you,” Sam said, taking a step toward her.

“How?” Lois asked hoarsely.

“I know what’s causing the nightmares.” Sam said gruffly. “And I think I know how to stop them.”

Lex Luthor stared at the empty concrete walls that once stored the remains of his satellite. The secure eight inch lead didn’t look to be tampered with, but the empty space was unmistakable. The Annihilator had been almost operational when he’d left it. There were only two other individuals besides himself that knew of it’s location.

“I thought he was one of the good guys.” a woman spoke into the camera. “I can understand helping keep law and order, but he went too far. You saw what he did! That man is someone’s son. Someone’s brother…”

“Turn that garbage off!” Perry bellowed across the newsroom.

Jimmy quickly jumped up and turned the television off then caught up with Perry, “You don’t think there’s anything to what they’re saying, Chief?”

Perry gave Jimmy a disapproving look. “I think give anyone a camera and fifteen minutes of fame and they’ll say whatever they think will get them the most camera time.” He grunted disapprovingly. “The Daily Planet isn’t going to waste one drop of ink on this smear campaign against Superman. The footage of the two Supermen and Lois and Clark’s piece this morning on the double should be enough coverage.” He pointed to Jimmy’s desk. “Now, don’t you have a job to do?”

“I’m sure your Mr. Foot can wait, Chief.” Jimmy pleaded. “This is big!”

“Get on it!” Perry wagged his finger at Jimmy before turning toward his next unsuspecting victim, “Simms! What are you still doing here? You’re supposed to be covering the EPRAD launch this afternoon.”

“I’m on it, Chief!” Ralph called out, grabbing his things and heading for the elevator.

“The first launch to repair equipment on the Messenger will be taking place this afternoon. Three shuttles have been sent with supplies to Space Station Prometheus since Superman’s miraculous rescue of the launch last year. This is the first repair launch that will require the shuttle to be manned….”

Clark reached over to mute the television, setting the remote on the coffee table. He turned his attention to Jon who was sleeping in his bassinet next to the couch. After their trip to STAR Labs and sending their story to Perry that morning on the Superman double he decided to work from home the rest of the day. He still felt the need to stay close to home after Lois’ encounter with the double yesterday. He knew she was still slightly rattled by the experience.

“You don’t want to watch the launch?” Lois’ voice penetrated his thoughts, and he turned back to see her fresh from her shower, standing behind him.

He smiled, watching as she took the seat next to him. “I figured we got enough excitement the first time around.”

“He’s still sleeping?” Lois asked, peering over him to see Jon’s sleeping figure.

“Yeah, this growth spurt is really taking a toll on him.” He commented with a chuckle.

“It could be worse.” Lois acknowledged quietly.

“What’s up?” He asked, nudging her shoulder with his hand.

“I went to talk to my dad after we left STAR Labs,” Lois explained slowly, staring down at her hands.

“Your dad?” Clark wrinkled his eyebrow at her. “I thought you said you didn’t trust him after he lost the Intergang files.”

“I know.” Lois sighed, running a hand through her hair, “but I just thought maybe he could provide some answers to what’s been going on with you since Dr. Klein can’t.”

“And did he?” Clark asked, knowing from her face that he had to have some idea if she was this torn up about what she was going to say.

“Yes,” Lois barely whispered out. “He thinks he can create a cure for what Trask did to you.”

“He would know, right?” Clark muttered bitterly.

“The only problem is in order to do that he’d have to get a blood sample.” Lois explained, not meeting his eyes.

“In other words, purposefully expose myself to the meteorite and weaken myself so he can experiment on me even more?” Clark guessed with a look of disgust. “Thank you, but no. I’ve had my fill of unwanted needles to last me a lifetime.”

“I know.” Lois nodded, “Just think about it though, okay?” She rested her head on his shoulder. “With everything that’s going on you don’t need to be out of control.” She looked up at him with a sideways glance. “We need you at a hundred percent.”

“I’m fine.” He acknowledged. “Now that I know where the memories are coming from I can control it.”

“Are you sure?” Lois asked cautiously.

“No, but it’s safer than your dad’s plan,” Clark said, tightening his arm around Lois.

“In a surprising turn of events, the once favored current governor is finding himself on the losing end of the poll once again. It seems Metropolis is ready for a new governor.” The newscaster spoke into the camera as the number for the poll scrolled across the screen.

“Seems everything is falling into place,” Mayson said, shifting her chair to face her guest. “Numbers look good.”

Bill Jr. Let a smile spread across his face and leaned back in his chair, reading the latest polling numbers. “I can’t thank you enough for your support in all of this, Mayson. I know your boss wasn’t thrilled with having the ADA choose sides.”

Mayson shrugged, “I look at it as helping out a friend.” She stood to her feet. “Can I walk you out?”

Bill Jr. stood to his feet, and they made their way out of the District Attorney’s office. “I heard your name got tossed in the ring as being the next District Attorney. It seems I’m not the only one with political ambitions.”

Mayson blushed, “I had nothing to do with that.”

“No of course not,” Bill Jr. commented, pushing the call button for the elevator. “You’ve just had the best conviction rate of all the ADAs in this office.”

“It helps when I’ve got good police work and don’t have the interference of a certain someone in my investigations.” Mayson quipped. “Once the launch happens hopefully we can be rid of that menace.”

“The launch?” Bill Jr asked, his face falling into a frown. “What’s happening at the launch?”

Mayson’s face twisted, “I think you may want to talk to your dad.”

“Maybe I will.” Bill Jr. stepped on the elevator. “Thanks for lunch.” He waved to her as the doors closed behind him. He didn’t even notice the tall man in a black suit on the other side of the elevator until it was too late.

“What are these?” Asabi asked, looking over Lex Luthor’s shoulder. The desk was covered in file after file of Bureau 39’s case study on ‘the alien’ as they labeled Superman. Unfortunately, there was nothing detailing who the alien was or where he came from.

“I must be missing something.” Lex fumed, tapping his hand against the wood grain desk angrily.

“Maybe there is nothing here,” Asabi suggested, polishing the barrel of his revolver with a cloth.

“Dr. Lane wouldn’t have gone to such lengths to remove these files from Intergang’s possession if there was nothing here.” Lex pointed out. “I’m going to find out what it is and I’m going to expose it.”

Three Months Ago…

“Darryl’s last message to my father was that he’d found a leak.” Bill Church Jr. said as he twirled a flash drive in his hand. “There were only four people alive at the time that knew about Bureau 39’s existence. Me. My father. Darryl….and Dr. Sam Lane.”

“You think the missing files have information on Superman?” Lex asked, taking a puff of his cigar as a menacing look crossed his face. “I worked with Trask from time to time. He seemed very reluctant to share his knowledge of this...alien with anyone. I doubt he kept records.”

“Then why did the files go missing?” Bill Jr. pointed out. “Why did Dr. Lane go missing?”

“You’re a bad shot?” Lex guessed, humor in his tone. “I’m not seeing what this has to do with taking over Metropolis. Bureau 39 is gone. Trask is gone. The other meteorite samples you collected are gone.”

“What if they’re not?” Bill Jr. asked, plugging the flash drive into his computer. He waited for the two devices to connect and then opened the folder where a single .wav file was located. He double clicked on it and allowed the audio file to play.

“If you’re hearing this it means I’ve met my demise. Everything I’ve built within the organization is crumbling. One of the most trusted scientists working on Project K has betrayed us. Everything is gone. The meteorite. The video surveillance. The case studies. If anything ha-happens to me know, I did everything in my power to stop hi-him. Sam Lane will pay.”

The audio cut out into a garbled screech of static.

“You think Dr. Lane stashed everything somewhere?” Lex Luthor asked, fingering the grain on the wood desk as he spoke.

“I think if I were a scientist working on a project for over five years I wouldn’t just throw all my research away.” Bill Jr. pointed out.

Rollie Vale looked over his shoulder as he approached the large double doors. He was doing the right thing. He had to choose a side. He just hoped it was the right side. The doors opened, and a tall man with a large pot belly and balding hairline opened the door.

“You must be Dr. Vale.” He motioned to the open office. “Come in.”

“Thank you, Mr. Church.” Rollie nodded, stepping inside.

“Your message seemed urgent,” Church noted, taking a seat behind his desk.

“It is.” Vale took a deep breath.

“Well, out with it.” Church prompted.

“Your son is trying to kill you.” Vale blurted out. He stared at Church as his face went from shock to anger then to menace all in a matter of seconds.

“Oh, really?” Church leaned back in his chair. “What makes you say that?”

“Because he hired me to do it,” Vale said, pulling out a tape recorder. He hit play, and Bill Church Jr’s voice filled the air.

“The old man has had his turn. I thought all I had to do was wait till he went into retirement but after the divorce, it’s like he just won’t let go. I’m going to force him out. Make a drug that will deteriorate his mind, his memory, and slowly kill all his brain cells. Once he’s proven he can’t run Intergang effectively, I’ll be there to step in and push him out. Then for kicks, I’ll put him out of his misery.”

“Put me out of my misery?” Church scowled angrily. “Me?!”

“He seems to think he’s entitled to Intergang.” Vale supplied uneasily.

“Thank you for bringing this to my attention, Dr. Vale,” Church said uneasily. “I can trust you to keep this between the two of us?”

“Yes, Mr. Church.”

“Are you sure this is the right place?” Lex Luthor asked, peering through the long hallway of storage rooms.

After researching Sam Lane’s history, it was found he had a number of infidelities in his past. One of the nurses he’d had an on again off again affair with had provided the address of one of his secret apartments. Breaking in hadn’t been hard. After searching the apartment, they found a pair of keys to a storage facility a few miles away.

“There it is.” Bill Jr. pointed to the sign that read ‘303’ on the door.

Lex took the key and unlocked the door, pulling the metal door open. The room was filled with several large samples of glowing meteorites of different colors. A file cabinet and computer that seemed to come from Intergang’s lab.

“Bingo.” Lex mused.

Present Day…

“Mayson, you made it!” Bill Church stood to his feet as the young blonde approached in a dark emerald dress.

“Bill,” She gave him a peck on the cheek, “Thanks for getting me a seat.” She looked around the gallery of many familiar faces. “Quite the crowd.” She said, slightly intimidated.

“I figured with all your help it only made sense for you to be here and watch history be made.” He pointed to the space shuttle.

“The satellite’s onboard?” Mayson asked.

“Along with the meteorite.” Bill Church nodded. “Just think, once the satellite is in place we’ll have the power to take Superman out with the push of a button.”

Mayson wore an uneasy smile as she watched a flicker of something she’d never seen in Bill Church’s eyes cross his face. It seemed almost sinister.

Lex tapped away at the keyboard, sifting through file after file that he’d seen dozens of times before. He let out a frustrated sigh. He was missing something. Months of research into the Bureau 39 files had left him frustrated and angry. He knew the answer was here. He just had to find it.

He went to the file browser and sorted the files by type instead of date. Many of them were documents, but one of them was a video file. It didn’t have a name that was recognizable. Just numeric. The file appeared to be set to hidden. He right clicked on the file and changed it to visible. The screen prompted him for a password.

He tried ‘Lois Lane’ and received an error.

He tried ‘Ellen Lane’ and received an error.

Then the image of the young baby in Sam Lane’s arms on the desktop with the name ‘Jamie’ printed on his hat caught Lex’s attention. He smiled to himself. “Too easy.” He muttered to himself, but tried the name anyway.

‘Access Granted.’

He opened the file, and a video footage began to play of Sam Lane and Darryl.

<<“You didn’t really think we’d let the alien go without having some sort of surveillance on him, did you? When will you invalids realize you don’t make the rules. I don’t make the rules. The organization makes the rules. Did you really think the alien just showed up on Earth and decided….Hmmmm….there’s an asteroid I should stop it from hitting that planet?”

“He saved all our lives including yours!”

“He’s a LIAR!!! What you’re too STUPID to realize, Dr. Lane is this….he’s been right under your nose the whole time….”

“You’re out of your mind!”

“I’m out of my mind? Well, maybe you don’t mind….I guess that’s okay. We can just keep monitoring ….Your daughter will continue to star in all the footage…”

“You get those cameras out of her and Clark’s apartment now…They have nothing to do with this!”

“Oh, but they do, Sam. They do. That’s your daughter allowing that alien to put his hands on her. That’s your daughter agreeing to carry his child. That’s your daughter with ….” >>

Carrying his child.

His daughter.

Lois Lane.

Clark Kent.

<<“Yes, the alien, also known as Superman is, in reality, the adopted son of Jonathan and Martha Kent, Clark Kent.”>>

“Clark Kent?” The idea seemed preposterous. Was it really that easy? Could he really have known Superman’s identity this whole time and not realized it?

He scanned in an image of Clark Kent and then one of Superman and compared them side by side. Remove the glasses and change the hair…

“Superman.” Lex snarled with a sinister smile.

Lucy looked over the bullpen of the newsroom, scanning for the familiar face amidst the crowd of reporters. She frowned when she didn’t see the face she was looking for.

The sound of Perry White’s voice rang in her ears, “Drop this off at Marie’s. Tell her it’s for me.”

Lucy saw the defeated expression on Jimmy’s face as he exited Perry’s office with a green box in his hand. She shook her head, recognizing the signs of another project assigned by Perry that Jimmy didn’t feel met up to his qualifications.

“Jimmy!” She waved her hand in the air to get his attention.

Jimmy mumbled something to Perry then turned to her and smiled, grabbing his jacket from his desk before meeting her by the elevator. “Hey, Luce, I thought I was picking you up.”

Lucy shrugged, “I needed to get out of the lab. Dr. Hamilton has been in meetings all day.” She turned to press the call button on the elevator. “I don’t know what it is, but I kept getting the feeling like I was being watched.”

“Watched?” Jimmy asked, stepping into the elevator with her.

“You know that feeling you get when you get goosebumps on the back of your neck?” Lucy prompted. Jimmy gave her a humorous expression, and she groaned, frustrated with him not taking her seriously. “I don’t know. I just feel like I’m being watched.”

The elevator pinged and they stepped out into the lobby. “I’m sure no one’s watching you..” Jimmy said good-naturedly. “It’s been an intense few weeks, Luce.”

“Whatever,” Lucy sniffed, “Don’t believe me.” She looked at the box in his hand. “What’s that?”

Jimmy’s face fell into a sarcastic smile, “Big assignment from the Chief. Watch needs to be repaired.”

“Didn’t Clark and Pete talk to you about standing up to him?” Lucy asked as they made their way through the revolving doors. Jimmy’s eyes did a sideways glance, and Lucy wagged her finger at him. “Don’t you dare start. He’s a good man and I won’t have you talking like that in front of me.”

Jimmy seemed to be having an eternal debate before forcing a smile. “I didn’t say anything.”

After their last fight, she’d gotten him to agree not to talk any more about his suspicions in front of her. For the most part, he seemed to hold up his end of the agreement, but she could still feel the tension between them whenever Clark's’ name came up.

“We should get going,” Lucy said, pointing to the parking garage.

“Let’s go.” Jimmy nodded, following her across the street.

Unnoticed by either Jimmy or Lucy was a tall man dressed in black. He held a photograph of Lucy Lane up and compared it to the young woman on the street in front of him. He watched them walk a few feet ahead of him then began to follow.

“That’s it, folks. EPRAD’s first manned launch of the year has successfully taken off.” the newscaster said as the screen filled with the image of the space shuttle’s thrusters being fired.

“At least this time we know Lex Luthor won’t be trying to sabotage the launch,” Lois commented, leaning back against her husband’s shoulder.

“Don’t remind me,” Clark remarked, shaking his head as he finished up the last of the story he was typing up for Perry. “I think this one’s just about ready. What do you think?” He handed the laptop to her to look it over.

She took the laptop and began scanning through the article he had pulled up in the word processor, adding a few notes as she went along. After reaching the end, she nodded, “I think that’s everything.” She handed the laptop back to him.

He nodded and pulled up the email application to send the article to Perry, “Hopefully, that’s the last we see of that double.” He said, hitting the send button.

“Something tells me he’s not going to just disappear with his tail between his legs,” Lois said, fiddling with a stray string on her sweater.

“Maybe not, but I just hope he doesn’t try and hurt you again,” Clark replied softly.

Lois sighed, looking up at him. His double’s words ran through her mind for a moment as she thought of how to respond.

<<“I would never hurt you, Lois.”>>

<<“I’m the part of him he wants to deny.”>>

“He’s a part of you.” She pointed out gently.

“He kidnapped you.” Clark shot back, tightening an arm around her.

“I know.” She said softly, uncertain how to respond. “I guess I’m just trying to make sense out of this just like you are.”

“I’ve never been so scared.” He said, pressing his lips against her temple. “I didn’t know where to look or what to do. I panicked.”

“I’m fine.” She reminded him.

“No, you’re not.” He pointed out, tilting her chin to look at him. “You put on a brave front, but you’re not fine.”

She was thoughtful for a moment until finally responding. “I know. I’m not fine. I’m scared.”

“Me too.” He whispered, leaning in to kiss her.

Their lips had barely touched when she felt him tense in her arms. She pulled away, realizing he was needed elsewhere. “What is it?” She asked.

“There’s a fire on the bridge. They need help evacuating.” He said with a faraway look on his face.

“Go.” She gave him a peck on the cheek before he stood up. “Be careful.”

“I will.” He looked back at her with a warning tone, “Don’t open the door for anyone you don’t know.” She nodded her agreement, and he disappeared.

Lucy stared at the broken door where her apartment door laid in shambles. The words ‘die’ were spray painted on the wall and her apartment had been ransacked. She fumbled with her phone in her hand as she waited for the police to arrive.

She heard sirens outside and breathed a sigh of relief. It hadn’t been her imagination. It was real. Someone was after her. Someone had been in her apartment.

“This place looks familiar.”

She turned around in surprise, hearing the familiar voice of Captain Raymond behind her. “Cap-Captain Raymond?”

“I thought I told you to call me, Danny,” He nodded to her, “Ms. Lane.”

“What are you doing here?” She asked, watching as the team of officers began to close off the scene of her apartment with tape.

“Special crimes unit.” He explained. “Lieutenant Harris put us on it as soon as she saw the address.” He winked at her, “I think she just wanted to make sure you were okay.”

“Thanks,” Lucy said shakily.

“Anything missing?” He asked.

“My sense of security,” Lucy whispered hoarsely.

“We’ll find the guys responsible. Don’t worry.” He reassured her.

“Superman must go!”

“Down with Superman!”

“We don’t need a Super-Bully!”

The chanting could be heard for miles as Clark held the two beams together, melting the two pieces together. He listened intently as the officers and first responders worked to get everyone off of the bridge.

The chanting continued to grade on his nerves as he heard the very people he swore to protect turn against him so easily. Every channel and every station was talking about what his double had done yesterday. No one tried to ask him what had happened. No one tried to give him the benefit of the doubt. Though he knew it wasn’t something he could explain without evidence it hurt to know, the city he loved and protected could turn on him so easily.

He felt a jolt behind him, and a familiar voice hung in the air in a dark tone, “You really think saving them is going to change their opinion?”

He turned to see his double hovering behind him. “What are you doing here?”

“Seeing how long it’s going to take you to admit to yourself what you really want to do.” He taunted.

“They need my help.” He growled.

“They don’t deserve it.” His double countered.

Lois heard the hammering at her door and opened it. “Lucy?” She saw her sister in tears and quickly ushered her inside. “Lucy, what happened?”

“Someone tore my apartment up.” She said shakily.

Behind her was Captain Raymond stood with another officer by his side. “A special unit has been assigned to the case, but we’re putting a unit outside to help keep an eye on her as well.”

Lois nodded, ushering them inside and closing the door behind them. “What’s going on?”

“From what we can tell this is a veiled threat, but considering the damage and the notes left in her apartment we have reason to believe we could be dealing with a hitman associated with some of the murders that have taken place earlier this year.” the officer explained.

“The unsolved deaths that were connected to Intergang.” Lucy said shakily.

“No fingerprints. No witnesses.” Captain Raymond explained. “Safest thing to do is stay where people are. Don’t go anywhere alone.”

“I work in a crime lab.” Lucy pointed out.

“Your protective unit will escort you to and from work.” Captain Raymond instructed. “You don’t leave without your unit.”

“Fine.” Lucy huffed angrily.

“I mean it.” He added.

“I’ll make sure she complies.” Lois cut Lucy off before she could add anything else.

“See that she does.” Captain Raymond instructed.

Lois watched the two officers leave then turned to her sister, “What happened to you staying out of trouble?”

“I can’t help it if I become a target.” Lucy began to pace around the living room. “I don’t know what to do. What do you do when you become a target? I mean…”

“Lucy, calm down,” Lois interjected. “Everythings’ going to be fine.”

“Someone’s trying to kill me,” Lucy whispered tearfully.

“I’m not going to let that happen,” Lois promised, reaching out to hug her sister. It was a sharp piercing pain. She didn’t have time to register the pain as she felt her body go numb. She heard her sister scream before the room went dark.

“They don’t deserve it.” His double countered.

Clark did his best to ignore the statement. Everything about his double angered him. His attitude toward the people of Metropolis. The way he’d kidnapped Lois. Everything angered him.

“You don’t know what you’re talking about.” He quipped.

“They love you when you benefit them, but in reality, they fear you. You’re different….alien.” his double taunted him.

“Enough!” Clark growled.

“Yes, enough!” Another familiar voice spoke as the metallic face of Johnny Corbin hung down face to face with him. Immediately Clark felt the nauseating sensation wash over him. There was only one substance that made him sick like that…

“Metallo,” Clark growled as he fell against the concrete beams below.

TBC...

Comments Go Here

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube