Epilogue

With practiced ease, Superman touched down on the terrace and entered the air-conditioned apartment, relieved that the evening was at an end. Tonight’s patrol had kept him on his toes; three muggings in Suicide Slum, an attempted high-end burglary in one of the swankier parts of town and, to top the evening off, rescuing a disabled freighter in the turbulent North Sea - another ‘typical’ Friday night for Metropolis’ favorite superhero.

The beginning and the middle of the evening had been quite different. Nonetheless it was the end of the night that made it special … very special indeed.

The night didn’t start off that way. Around 6:00pm he and Lana were attending another glossy event that had been put together by the Metropolis Museum. This was the third such occasion he had attended with Lana. It was not that he disliked hobnobbing with the rich and famous, it was a pleasant alternative from the usual Friday night sports activities with his friends. Still those changes are always better when your companion is on the same page as you, which Lana Lang most definitely was not.

As soon as they arrived at the museum they were guided to the European Sculpture Court which was designed as a classical French garden, presenting large outdoor Italian and French sculptures dating from the seventeenth to the nineteenth century. Here the party was being held and, from the movements of the dancers and pleasant hum of conversation was in full swing. Lana spent the evening networking with several influential contributors to the museum, while introducing them to Clark in a manner that once again strongly insinuated they were much more than friends.

At one point, the enigmatic Swiss businessman, Gregory Daae entered the court and the atmosphere of the room seemed to shift. Many of the party guests studied the older man who had recently arrived in Metropolis and was swiftly making a name for himself within the city’s business and social circles, having recently completed successful media and computer deals with Lex Luthor and Jasper Templar respectively. Clark wondered when he had time to work out; most men of his ilk were not athletic, yet his body was trim and hard. He carried himself with the dignity and power of a man born to a noble house. Something about Gregory Daae made him uncomfortable, not as much as being around Luthor, but the feeling was there nonetheless.

Lana obviously got a different sensation from Daae. Without a word she separated from Clark and became involved in an intense conversation. Because Daae was a member of the board, he assumed they must have been talking about some significant project. Lana was involved with at least three that he knew were rather important. But did they warrant such intensity?

He had done a little background checking on him for an article in the Weekend section of the Daily Planet. His reputation as a businessman was respectable, but he’s pretty evasive about his private life. Something like that always brought up a red flag. He was tempted to listen in, but decided against it. After all, this was Lana’s world and she was more than capable of handling herself in it.

While Lana and Daae were having their discussion, some of the society matrons had come over to congratulate him on his conquest of Lana. In a determined mood to conceal his annoyance, Clark put on his best mid-western manners and chatted with them, firmly stating that Ms. Lang and he were old friends from the same town back in Kansas … not involved with one another. The ladies gave him knowing glances and one even stated that soon they would be. Deciding further conversation was a waste of time; he gave them a witty smile and moved off.

All that nonsense could be put aside and enjoy the rest of the night and would have if it had it not been for his encounter with Lex Luthor. He had just departed from the older women and started towards Lana, who was still in conversation with Gregory Daae when he encountered the Billionaire.

“I cannot help but notice you were looking for Ms. Lang. She is a charming, accomplished young woman, Kent. Just right for you. Don’t be a fool and let her walk out of your life.” He had smiled and studied the vast space saying, “By the by, where is your stunning partner, Lois Lane?”

Through a smile of gritted teeth, Clark had replied, “Working on a story.”

Lex’s black eyes had sparkled at the knowledge. “Ah! Ever the diligent reporter is our Miss Lane.” He paused for a beat and said, “I must personally look into correcting that oversight. Excuse me, Kent. There’s Senator Ian Harrington, I need to have words with him.”

Luthor then moved away, melting into the crowd, oblivious to dark eyes unable to veil a flash of anger at the man’s back. He would do whatever was necessary to keep Lois safe from Luthor.

Lois. Her lovely name brought Clark back to the present.

A wide, happy grin brightened his expression. She was the real reason why tonight had been so special. Tonight he had danced with her in the middle of the Bullpen … on air. The strong attraction between them couldn’t be denied, it was far deeper than physical desire. Yet it was still a lowly sham. Not only was it the wrong thing to do, it was unkind. She was already getting emotionally involved with the superhero when he really wanted her to see him – Clark Kent – as more than just a work partner. He needed to put an end to this strange three-sided love affair and the only way was to reveal who really wore the suit.

Nonetheless, he could not help but smile at the memory of their rather unique dance and the feeling of holding the woman he cherished so close.

He stripped out of the suit, tossing it into the hamper and then stepped into the bathroom for a much needed hot shower. The amount of water vapor in the atmosphere on this late August night made the air oppressively heavy and even flying was a touch unpleasant. The bracing chill of cold water felt good and refreshing as it flowed over tight shoulders and down his back, wiping away the dust and grit of tonight’s work. Sadly it also washed away a faint trace of Lois’ perfume: a mixture of orange blossoms and fresh bergamot. The scent served as a reminder to resolve this matter between his lovely partner and himself before Luthor decided to step in to cause trouble.

No, she was smarter than that. Lex Luthor might attempt to dazzle her with a classic pasta dinner like spaghetti alle vongole in Rome, walks through beautiful old piazzas and trips to the opera, but due to his own lack of emotions, he was incapable of touching her heart.

After toweling off and putting on a pair of sleep shorts, he slid under the bed covers and was soon sound asleep. It was a few minutes past midnight.

The harsh blare of the phone ringing on his nightstand jarred Clark back to wakefulness.

Fumbling for the phone, he picked it up and in a voice laden with sleep said, “Hello? Lois, is that you?” thinking only she would have the nerve to call him at that hour of the morning.

A familiar female voice answered, yet it was most definitely not the pretty brunette, but a slightly perturbed blonde. “No. This is Lana. Did I wake you? Aren’t journalists always ready to jump a story?”

He growled back. “Yes, you did. No, not when we are supposed to be sleeping.” He glanced up at the alarm clock and said, “It’s 3:30am. Is everything all right?”

“Life couldn’t be better! I’m moving to Chicago and you are coming with me!”

Shocked, he sat up in bed and threw the covers off his muscular frame. “Excuse me, what did you just say?”

A flirty peal of laughter came over the phone like a froth of champagne sliding over the sides of a bottle. “Oh, why don’t I come over and explain the whole thing to you. This is a fabulous opportunity for both of us!”

The thought of having Lana Lang in his apartment in the wee hours of the morning could only lead to further misconceptions on her part. He needed to dissuade her quickly. Nervously he countered, “No. No, best you stay home. After all it’s pretty late, and neither of us should be out at this hour. Now what is this all about?”

“Honestly, Clark, you’re such an old man! Anyway, Daae has hired me away on a temporary basis from the Metropolis Museum to be the Project lead putting together an exhibit about Napoleon Bonaparte. He’s well versed on the subject! Just like Lex Luthor is about Alexander the Great ... ”

Lana continued on while he was remembering the stormy night of the White Orchid Ball, when he and Lois had slipped into Luthor’s study and seen a rather impressive array of ancient weapons – especially the sword that Lex had held to his throat. Clark fervently hoped Daae’s interest in the French emperor was more benign in nature.

“The perks are fantastic, so it would be the perfect fit.”

His mind snapped back to Lana’s voice. “What? Wait a second, ‘perfect fit?”

“Yes exactly! Gregory has a controlling interest in the Chicago Tribune. It just happens they need an assistant editor for the Weekend Magazine. Your reputation in the Metropolis newspaper game is well respected. I’ve spoken very highly of you and Gregory has read many of your solo articles – and a few of the investigative pieces with your partner.”

Clark couldn’t help but hear the chilly edge to Lana’s voice when she said, your partner. He also heard a distinct note of pleasure when she spoke of Daae. It was time to be honest with Lana about the futility of a relationship between them, just as there must soon be a serious conversation with Lois about the hope of a stronger relationship – even a commitment between them.

“It’s flattering that Mr. Daae thinks my abilities are worth offering me such a position, yet working as a reporter for the Daily Planet has fulfilled my dreams. Someday, if an editorial position which interests me – at the Planet - becomes available I’ll apply for it. Taking a position simply because the owner wants to please someone else is not the way to get a job. Besides, Lana, you’re forgetting one thing.”

“Oh yeah? What’s that?” There was a challenging tone in her voice.

“I don’t want to go to Chicago. The Tribune is an outstanding newspaper, but it is not the Daily Planet. My home and friends are here. Why go to another city and start all over again?”

An exasperated huff was heard to the other end of the phone, he knew Lana was winding herself up to explain just exactly why his life should change around to satisfy her whim.

“Because Daae recognizes good talent and this my old friend is that rare once-in-a-lifetime kind of career opportunity which shapes a person’s life!”

“You certainly have a lot of faith in this man. Why?”

She was so angry with him the furrow lines of frustration on her forehead felt like taut lines between telephone poles. “I can’t believe how blind you are! This move will improve our careers immensely! In Chicago we can start over again, but because of what I’ve built in Los Angeles and the reputation you’ve carved out in Metropolis, we’ll still be ahead of the game!”

“No Lana. We discussed this already; relocation is out of the question. My place is here, your place is …”

“Wait. What about the perks? The newspaper job in Chicago will pay ten thousand more than what Perry White is currently giving you! They have a cable station, it’s not much – now, but in a couple of months with your good looks and Midwestern charm, they’ll probably give you a spot on one of those morning news shows. After that, the sky’s the limit! Look, you’ve traveled all over the world; Borneo, Paris, Alaska even Invercargill, New Zealand for pity’s sake! This could be the place where you start a brand new –maybe even better life than in Metropolis!”

He took a shallow breath and realized it was time to end this conversation. Although he didn’t require sleep as humans did, he was a little tired. It was Saturday and in a few hours he wanted to visit his folks for the day. “My place is here, your place is … well, it’s possibly in Chicago. This is a fantastic offer for you. I’m not actually blind about that, Lana. But you keep saying ‘start over’ as if that’s a good thing. For me … I don’t want to start over. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my life here.”

There was a silence for a moment, as these two people realized the time had come to once again go their separate ways – perhaps forever.

Finally Lana said, “So the Daily Planet and Metropolis itself are not what’s keeping you here … it’s Lois Lane.”

She knew him so well that the smile of pure joy in his voice at hearing that woman’s name came over the phone, a joyful smile which had not been directed at her in years. “Yeah Lana, she’s pretty special …”

Suddenly he heard the sound of banging on his front door. Banging so loud, the sturdy iron hinges were actually rattling.

“Clark Jerome Kent, open this door right now!”

“Sorry Lana, it’s Lois, something important most have happened. Thank you for the offer, but I can’t accept it. I hope the new job is everything you want it to be. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you get packed. Good-bye.”

At super speed he changed into black sweatpants and a T-shirt and then zoomed up the staircase. He wondered what was so urgent Lois had to come by at this hour of the morning?

Across town in her apartment, Lana disappointedly looked at the receiver as the dial tone replaced the rumble of Clark’s voice.

He had turned her down flat.

Why? Because he wanted to stay in Metropolis with that obnoxious partner of his. What did he see in her anyway? Didn’t’ he prefer blondes? In her opinion, the famous Lois Lane could do with a little loosening up!

Metropolis had proved to be a disappointing stop in her career path. Chicago was a much better location, even if it was a little cold. Considering the wretched heat and humidity she had put up with this summer, maybe the ‘Windy City’ might prove to be a better location.
Gregory Daae had phoned shortly after Clark had dropped her off earlier that evening. They had talked for more than an hour about plans for the exhibit and his hopes that she would accept his job offer. It was funny how hearing that Swiss accent felt so right. Even now, as she turned out the lights the soothing tones felt comfortable and easy, much more so than Clark’s rumbling voice.

She fluffed her pillows and got ready for bed. In the morning she intended to call Gregory to accept his offer and explain that Clark wasn’t coming along. After that there was the tedious process of subletting her apartment and packing. This was the second major move in less than a year, yet she felt with absolute certainty going to Chicago was the right thing to do.

Funny, when the position had opened at the Metropolis Museum she was ecstatic to come here and rebuild her friendships with both Pete Ross and Clark Kent. They were old friends and had both promised to help her get settled into life in Metropolis. The moment she saw Clark again at the airport with his clear, open smile and gentle manners she decided then and there to become a permanent fixture in his life. After all when they were dating as teens he was practically clay in her hands, eager to do anything she said. Everyone was jealous of them. Especially that twit Rachel, the sheriff’s daughter. Back then they were too immature to get married, but now, nearly ten years after graduating from high school, it was time for the star quarterback of Smallville High turned journalist to marry the Homecoming Queen who knew her way around the movers and shakers of two major cities.

But there were two obstacles in her way; a demanding work schedule for her and Clark’s equally demanding work partner, Lois Lane. From the moment the two women met, they took an immediate dislike to each other. Mad Dog was determined to keep Clark all to herself, but Lana decided to play the ‘helpless innocent’ alone in a new city. With every possible excuse she found ways for Clark to spend time with her. It was great fun for them to be together … even if he occasionally ducked out on her with the most ridiculous excuses she ever heard. Cheese-of-the-Month club indeed!

When he wasn’t available she called on Pete, but not very often, she had no intention of playing the two men against each other.
The more they spent time together, the more she wove tales of them as a couple to her co-workers and for awhile it seemed to be working … until tonight when he saw her talking with Daae.

Gregory was tall, handsome with striking blue eyes and prematurely white hair. She knew not a jealous bone existed in Clark’s body, yet he was cautious about her soon-to-be new employer. Maybe she should be as well? But why? Just because one half of the hottest team in town felt uncomfortable about him? Clark had felt the same way about Billy Slade, thinking he was a ‘bad boy’ in the making. But after Billy had accidently broken Pete’s arm during football practice the guy had come around and was well on his way to making a few million in computer software designs. Ha! Clark wasn’t always right.

No. Time to cut her losses and leave Metropolis. If the job truly was only for six months she could return. Gregory would see to that. Maybe she should have let him take her home tonight. They could have talked more in the comfort of her place rather than on the phone. He was fifteen years her senior, yet those blue eyes of his were like chips of ice, they seemed to bore into her very heart. His hands, even though slightly calloused, were beautiful as well. He told her they had gotten that way because he liked to sail his own yacht across the Atlantic. As a matter of fact, he was planning on sailing to Greece in a few days and spending a little time on the isle of Santorini. It was easily one of the most spectacular Greek islands; dominated by a crescent of multi-colored cliffs that were formed after one of the biggest volcanic eruptions in history. Around 4,000 years ago, a huge chunk of the Cyclades collapsed and the Aegean Sea flooded into the vacuum, creating a giant ‘caldera’ which now measures seven miles wide and 14 miles long.

The island was a Mecca for well-heeled tourists and celebrities. He had ‘hinted’ at having a little company for the trip.

Lana sank down further in her bed, perhaps she would be going to Chicago later rather than sooner – after a brief stop in Santorini. From Daae’s description, the cliffs sounded positively majestic …

Last edited by Morgana; 04/08/16 08:09 AM.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.