This takes place in the summer before season two. Lois and Clark are trying to rebuild their friendship after the Lex wedding disaster. Who knew a little rain could do a lot of magic.

I would like to thank Caroline, Anna, and Kevin for their beta reading skills. They helped me with getting the story in order. Thank you all!

For Sunkist: Who has been one of the best beta readers ever. Her support and kind words have inspired me to always keep on writing. Good Luck with your new home!

It's short, it's Waffy, it's Lois and Clark so enjoy!

“Remind me again, why are we here?” Lois Lane asked as she grudgingly removed her bags from the rent-a-car.

Clark Kent smiled at his partners' grumpy statement. “You needed a vacation and I was going home to Smallville. Need I say more?”

“Well, why couldn't we go somewhere tropical?” Lois complained.

“You enjoyed yourself last time, despite Trask, so now you'll have an even better time with no work to worry about.” Clark grabbed his bags and led Lois up to his parent's house. Martha and Jonathan Kent were both waiting on the porch with smiles and lemonade.

“Lois, Clark!” Martha called to them.

“Mom, Dad!” Clark embraced his mother and father while Lois looked on. She was trying to look miserable but the harder she tried, the harder it was to ignore the atmosphere around her. The warm glow of the mid afternoon sun, the fresh air and the Kent's hospitality almost made Lois forget all the troubles she had left behind in Metropolis. Almost.

When they had all sat down and Jonathan had poured some lemonade in their glasses, Martha began the conversation. “Well how was your trip?”

“Oh, it was fine. I want to thank you for letting me stay with you again because it just would have been easier for me to stay home.” Lois smiled half-heartedly.

“Nonsense,” said Jonathan. “It's good to see you both here, away from everything going on in Metropolis right now.”

“So even in Kansas they know about what happened?” Lois asked though she already knew the answer. Her almost wedding to Lex wasn't only national but global news.

Instantly, Jonathan seemed ashamed of what he had said and looked to Clark for help. But it was already too late. Lois rose from the porch bench, picked up her bags and stated she “better get settled in.” She then went into the house, letting the screen door slam behind her.

Jonathan and Clark looked puzzled but Martha knew what was going on. “Clark how is she really doing with this whole Luthor thing?”

“She's fine mom, really.” Clark said, not sure if he believed his own statement and, by the way his mother was looking at him, Clark knew very well she didn't believe it either. He then took a large gulp of his lemonade and continued, “Well to be honest mom, she hasn't really spoken much about it since it happened. I know she hasn't confided in anyone else…”

“And you thought that by bringing her here, she would confide in you?” Jonathan inquired.

“Lois acts so much more relaxed and content here in Smallville. I was just hoping that coming here would make her feel better.” Clark parents both knew how he really felt about Lois. Even though his intentions in Smallville were those of friendship, Clark craved for more. Clark then rose from the odd silence that had fallen between him and his parents. “Well I better get settled in too. Thanks for the lemonade”. With that, Clark went inside leaving Jonathan and Martha alone.

Dinner at the Kents consisted of wonderful aromas and delicacies all homemade by Martha. Fried chicken, corn on the cob and mashed potatoes filled their plates, which eventually filled their stomachs. After the dishes were cleared and washed, the four of them sat down with coffee and cookies making small talk.

“Mom, you still make the best food I have ever tasted.” Clark licked his lips in delight and took another sip of coffee.

“It is really very good. No restaurant back in Metropolis cooks like you do.” Lois chimed in.

“Well, she only makes it when you kids come here so I guess I would have to agree, it is the best food I have ever tasted.” Jonathan winked at them while Martha slapped him playfully on the arm.

Jonathan then turned his attention to Lois with a more serious expression, “I'm sorry if I offended you out on the porch this afternoon. Martha and I know this must be pretty tough time for you.”

“If you need anything…” Martha interjected.

“Thank you and no, you didn't offend me. I am just tired I guess,” Lois lied putting on the bravest smile she could.

“Well about tomorrow evening, Clark. Your father and I are going to the 40th anniversary party of some friends of ours in Grandville. Do you think you will be ok without us?” Martha asked, changing the subject.

“I'm sure Lois and I will manage and there are enough leftovers in that fridge to feed an army. I think we are old enough to be home alone.” Clark teased.

Everyone laughed and Martha added, “I'm a mother, it's my job to worry.”

The next day Lois and Clark decided to split up, each going with one respective parent. Lois and Martha did some errands in downtown Smallville, while Clark helped his father do some chores around the farm with a bit of “super” help.

Around late afternoon, Lois and Clark were reunited while Clark's parents were getting ready for the party. As they sat on the couch getting ready to watch a movie, Martha and Jonathan entered not wearing their usual farm clothing. Jonathan was wearing a grey suit while Martha was wearing a lovely purple dress with short sleeves and tiny flowers embedded in the fabric.

“Wow, you guys look great.” Clark commented.

“Thanks, son. We should be home by 11:00 but don't wait up.” Jonathan added with a smile.

“Don't forget about the food…” Martha reminded them.

“We won't, now go.” Clark walked them to the door and watched them drive off in the family's old pickup truck. He remembered watching that pickup drive off so many times in his childhood, right now the image didn't seem real.

“Ok. Ready to watch that movie?” Clark asked, directing his attention back to Lois.

“Sure,” she replied and for about an hour they watched the movie. Lois and Clark became so wrapped in the antics and crazy plot of their movie that they didn't notice the approaching storm, rumbling in the distance. When they finally did take notice to their outside surroundings, they lost power.

“Oh, there it goes.” Clark said as casually as one friend would greet another.

“Do you have any flashlights?” Lois asked.

“No, but we have some candles. I'll be right back.” Clark went to go retrieve the candles from the kitchen. In the little light provided by the lighting, he was able to find candles but no matches. He made sure Lois' attention was not on him and he lit them with heat vision. When Clark came back Lois was gazing at the pounding storm.

“It's never like this in Metropolis.”

“Country storms are always a bit more vigorous than in the city. At least it's not prime tornado season here yet.”

“Tornado season?” Lois looked up at Clark, her eyes wide.

He resettled himself on the couch next to her, “Relax. Even if one occurs, I guarantee I know what to do.”

“I hope so for both our sakes.” Lois replied. She trembled slightly and continued looking out the window.

Clark looked a little more solemn “Hey, you ok?”

Lois nodded. “I just don't like thunderstorms. I guess it's one of the few things that scare me. Childish. I know.”

“When I was younger, my mom use to tell me it was the angels bowling because I was afraid of them too.” Clark smiled, recalling the memory.

Lois gazed at him again, “You scared? Hard for me to see you scared of anything.”

Clark glanced down at the floor “Well, you scare me sometimes.”

“Me? You mean I scare you?”

Clark chuckled softly, “Well, you don't scare me. It's the things you do that sometimes scare me.” He cleared his throat unsure of what to say next. “Like…”

“…marrying Lex?”

Clark sighed, “To be honest, I was worried about you. Really scared for your life. I didn't want anything to happen to you because if it did,” Clark looked right into her dark brown eyes, “I would never be able to forgive myself.”

Lois looked into his eyes but her vision was becoming blurry. She turned away before she spoke. “I thought it was too late when I realized I didn't want to marry Lex. I was glad you, Perry and Jimmy came because I was also scared. Now that things thankfully didn't work out, I still don't know if things will be ok with you all. Especially you and me and…” Lois felt a lump forming in her throat and stopped, fearing it would burst into a sob.

Clark, noticing how upset she was getting, put an arm around her and pulled her close to him. Once in his safe embrace Lois placed a hand on his chest and began to sob quietly. With each painful sob, her grip tightened on his T-shirt as if it would help make everything go away. Clark held Lois, stroking her hair back tenderly, glad he had finally gotten her to speak. Although it pained his heart to see her cry, Clark could feel, literally, her fears being released. While she wept, the raging thunderstorm ceased and a steady downpour was now washing the house roof.

As Lois calmed down, Clark gently stated, “Lois, you could never lose me that easily.”

“Clark, don't lie to me,” Lois quipped, “I remember the time I called you right before the wedding and the distain in your voice…”

“Was inappropriate of me and I apologize. Even though I was angry then, it doesn't mean I didn't care.”

Lois rose from the comfort of Clark's chest and looked at him with tearful eyes. “Do you really mean that?” Lois knew Clark was filled with incredible kindness. However she always felt the urge to question it.

Clark put an arm around her and made sure he had eye contact before answering, “Caring for you is a joy in my life, one I wouldn't trade for anything in the world. Since the day I met you I have cared for you, even when you thought so little of me.” Clark now looked at Lois with hurt eyes but he continued. “From now on I promise to be more understanding of the choices you make and remember I will never stop caring for you.”

Shedding tears of happiness at that last line Lois grabbed Clark's free hand and squeezed it. “I am so lucky that you have always been at my side and will continue to be at my side. I promise you that I will try to scare you less and care for you more.” Clark smiled at Lois and for a moment they basked in each other's company. Suddenly Clark became quite serious as if he was straining to listen for something outside.

“Clark, what's the matter?”

A small smirk sprang on his face and he rose from the couch tugging Lois along with him. “Come on, I know something that will make you smile.”

“What?” Lois hated surprises, but with Clark pulling her along, she wasn't about to refuse. “Where are you taking me?”

Clark led her outside to the front porch where it was still down pouring. It wasn't a terrible downpour; it was a beautiful, breathtaking rain that seemed to be washing Smallville of its stresses. That is, if a small town like this had any.

“Wonderful isn't it?” Clark asked, watching Lois' amazement at the rain.

“Yes, but why are we out here?” she asked, still puzzled by what Clark had in mind by taking her out here.

“This.”

Suddenly Clark ran down the porch steps dragging Lois along who was screaming, “Clark Kent if you make me touch a drop of rain…” But it was too late for her. Warm water was now dripping down her face, arms, legs and soaking through her clothes and hair. Suddenly Lois didn't feel angry anymore. In fact she felt, free.

Clark was laughing at her stunned reaction. Lois, who had taken notice to this, started yelling at him above the rain. “You jerk,” she screamed but she meant nothing by it. Now she was laughing at Clark. His hair, which was normally combed back neatly, looked like a small wet dog resting on his head.

“I love to see you laugh.” Clark then pulled her in close and asked. “So are best friends again?”

“Best friends always.” Lois and Clark leaned in, touching foreheads in a symbolic gesture they did often. Little did the pair of friends know that in the distance, amidst the rain, an older couple was watching them from a pickup truck, smiling.

The End

"Live with intention.
Walk to the edge.
Listen Hard.
Practice wellness.
Play with abandon.
Laugh.
Choose with no regret.
Continue to learn.
Appreciate your friends.
Do what you love.
Live as if this is all there is."