Print Thread
#99810 03/26/14 02:04 AM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Comments go here.

Thanks!

Corrina.

ETA - I should mention two points. I don't know if all the good cafes in Des Moines opened after 7am in the mid-90s, but it fitted my story to assume they did. Also, the gazebo in Union Park, Des Moines, doesn't have steps. But again, I needed them (because I like the visual of Clark bounding up them!), so I took a little more license. Hope that's OK with anyone (Laura) who actually knows Des Moines.

#99811 03/26/14 04:07 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Oh, I'm swimming in a sea of WAFFYness now.

*sigh* So loved that Lois gave up on Clark only to find that he wasn't late ... and that he was so eager he'd turned up 50 minutes early.

My heart was pounding when Lois was tracing the rain drops ... I so wanted a kiss to happen.

Part 5 soon please? I suggest tomorrow. laugh

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."
#99812 03/26/14 06:59 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I think KenJ called it. wink Lois forgot to set her watch to Des Moines time.

So much sweet romance in this little fic! I love the idea of breakfast in a gazebo in a rain storm... *Sigh*

Loving the WAFFs!

Oh! and I learned a new word! Had to look up 'immiscible.' smile

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
#99813 03/26/14 07:02 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
smile1

I don't know if all the good cafes in Des Moines opened after 7am in the mid-90s, but it fitted my story to assume they did.
I don't know about Des Moines, but around here (small rural farming town) people tend to be early risers, even on the weekend. :rolleyes: Going to garage sales and hitting the diners early for breakfast (either before or after hitting the garage sales), meeting up early to do kids sports, or doing yard work. So, it wouldn't be uncommon for restaurants and diners to open by 6:30am, and definitely by 7am, even on a weekend. <<This is mostly because it's often too hot after 10-11am to be outside during the summer to do those things.>> We, personally, are turn off the alarm clock, close the black-out shades, sleep in on the weekend type people, but we're "weird". (We've lived here 10 years, and both our children were born here, but we're still considered "newbies".) huh The one in our town has steps leading up to the "bandstand" area, but they aren't noticeable unless you're looking straight at them, which most people aren't since they're around back.

Again, another "short" comment from me. blush What can I say? You inspire me. /runs off to try to finish another scene of my own story, my WAFF tank now dangerously full./

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#99814 03/26/14 11:16 AM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
How does one get onto a gazebo without there being steps? huh The one in our town has steps leading up to the "bandstand" area, but they aren't noticeable unless you're looking straight at them, which most people aren't since they're around back.
Here's a pic, courtesy of Laura, who helped me with some local knowledge.

http://www.unionparkdsm.com/photo_gallery/park/UP-SWentrance.jpg

Corrina.

#99815 03/26/14 11:21 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Female Hawk:
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
How does one get onto a gazebo without there being steps? huh The one in our town has steps leading up to the "bandstand" area, but they aren't noticeable unless you're looking straight at them, which most people aren't since they're around back.
Here's a pic, courtesy of Laura, who helped me with some local knowledge.

http://www.unionparkdsm.com/photo_gallery/park/UP-SWentrance.jpg

Corrina.
Oh, I see. It's a small gazebo. I was thinking more traditional bandstand type gazebo.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#99816 03/26/14 11:44 AM
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
This was beautiful, Corrina thumbsup . Yeah, I've been trying to remember which coffee shops/cafes were around back in the 90's in and around this area of Des Moines (regarding timing, cause I wouldn't really know for sure either)...But, one thing I do know for sure--Union Park is just beautiful, have always loved it dance --and now, I'll always associate the gazebo with Lois and Clark (Thanks sloppy )

Laura smile

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
#99817 03/26/14 04:08 PM
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
dance Clark wasn't late. I was hoping the issue was the time, but was afraid something else had occurred.

I liked the morning picnic in the rain.

Clark seems to have avoided her question about the coffee place. I wonder if this is because it is not in Iowa.

John Pack Lambert
#99818 03/28/14 10:48 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Clark seems to be just as eager as Lois was for their breakfast together, showing up nearly an hour early.

The beginning of their date is going well. I'm looking forward to the next part.

"Who's asking? Clark... or Superman?"
#99819 03/29/14 08:02 AM
K
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
K
I'm happy Clark couldn't wait to come and showed up almost an hour earlier. Otherwise Lois would have been gone. A picnic in rain, it's so much Clark. smile1

KateB
#99820 03/31/14 01:29 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Victoria You wanted a kiss? *And* you wanted Part 5? I couldn't get it done the next day, but it's there now. Hope you like it.

MM I found 'immiscible' during a long search for a word that meant 'can't be blended'. We both learned something!

Virginia

You two seem to string words together to create such amazing pictures. You make it seem so simple, but yet, if it were, the rest of us would be able to accomplish what you can do with a turn of a phrase. I'd call it a gift, but I'm guessing there's a lot of hard work behind it.
Thanks. I'm not sure if it helps that I think in pictures, not words. Even so, there's a lot of hard work (for me, anyway) in trying to get the words to sound as if they simply and easily rolled onto the computer screen. They rarely do, but if I can make the writing seem as if it were effortless, I've achieved my objective.

Why do I have the strange feeling Clark is describing how HE'S feeling at the moment.
I hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense.

Laura

The 'raindrops on the sweater' scene wasn't there the first time I wrote this part. I needed a nice way to finish the chapter, so I figured a close-but-not-too-close (ie *almost* kiss) would work OK. Glad you liked it!

John

I think it's a fairly sure bet that the coffee shop isn't anywhere close. wink

Lady L Yep, Clark is definitely eager for the date.

Kate In this case, being half an hour early wouldn't have been good enough.

Thanks to everyone for the comments. I thought part 6 was ready, but I've spent the last few days writing and re-writing the second half of the chapter. I *think* part 7 is almost ready to go to the BRs. If it is, part 6 should be posted within a week.

Corrina.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard