OP Offline
Kerth
Comments go here!

Corrina.

#99329 02/20/14 02:29 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Who was Clark Kent?

What was it about him that had shaken her barricades with his presence, carved chunks from her resistance with every smile, and melted the icecaps of her heart with the heat smouldering in those striking brown eyes?

He'd asked her for a date. He'd been quietly persistent until she'd bluntly informed him that she didn't date.

He'd accepted her refusal.

But he hadn't abandoned her. Hadn't walked away in a fit of pique. Hadn't resorted to nastiness.

She should have been relieved.

But it wasn't relief she was feeling. Surprise, maybe. And perhaps even a few flakes of disappointment.
Disappointment because she turned him down, or disappointment because he's turning out to be a gentleman instead of a jerk? (It's a whole lot easier to tell a jerk to get lost than a nice guy.)

"No," he said. "My folks live in Smallville, Kansas."

"Do you see them often?"

"Quite a bit."

"You fly over there? Or drive?"

"Fly, mostly."
Wouldn't Lois love to know how he flies?

But as bold and as foolish as it was, it was also a bit … just a little bit …

Inspiring.

Endearing.

Her eyes dropped before his did. They fell to the table. And his hands.

He even had perfect hands.

Strong. Lean. Masculine.

Gentle.

She couldn't imagine those hands ever lifted in anger. Or cruelty.
She's smitten, but she can't admit it.

Clark knew he'd been born to love her.

And he did.

From the moment he'd seen her, he'd loved her.

And his life would never be complete without her.
Beautiful.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
#99330 02/20/14 06:57 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Lois' answer doesn't surprise me, no matter how deeply affected she is by Clark. She doesn't know him.

She eyed him with suspicion. "Is there a coffee machine in the back room?"

His gaze remained steady in hers. "No."

"It's the best coffee I've tasted in a long time," she said. "Where did you get it?"

"Just a place I know."
I wonder how far he went to get that coffee. Hopefully Lois won't ask him to take her to that coffee shop before she goes back home. Clark might run into a problem then. Maybe he suddenly forgot where he got the coffee or maybe it's closed. :p

"You fly over there? Or drive?"

"Fly, mostly."
No airplane required. :p

Clark felt as if he were floating.

He wasn't. He'd checked. Several times.

Dancing with Lois was better than flying.
I wonder if Lois noticed him constantly looking to the floor. If she did she probably thinks he's nervous about his dancing and is trying to make sure he doesn't step on her toes. She definitely could never imagine that he's so enthralled with her that he's trying to make sure that she doesn't cause him to defy gravity.

Another great part. I'm excited to see how things go at the wedding. smile

"Who's asking? Clark... or Superman?"
#99331 02/21/14 01:37 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I loved reading Lois's reasons why dating wasn't a good idea, and how quickly Clark bats each of them down. Until....
"I don't date," she told him with crisp finality. "Ever."

Clark's head dropped in defeat. His hand lifted. His fingers slid through the hair above the side of his glasses. "OK," he said.
Awww....

I love Clark's tenacity. He just does not give up. So sweet to watch him woo her.
Lois had relaxed enough to rest her temple against Clark's chin and give herself over to the music. To the illusion that the past and the future had faded away and nothing existed except the present … and Clark, his gentle arms, the scent of his cologne, and the memory of his smile.
I love this. The music (sound), memory of his smile (sight), his gentle arms (touch), and the scent of his cologne. All her senses are attuned to this moment with Clark.

I'm intrigued by Jane. You tempt us with bits of info that seem just a bit odd. She idolizes Lois, but never really knew her. Doesn't have any family there that night. Kind of strange. Is there more to Jane's story, or am I once again off on a wild goose chase with my over-active imagination? Well, I guess I'll get the answers to those and all my other questions as I read more. Which, by the way, I am very anxious to do! hyper

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
#99332 02/21/14 12:04 PM
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I really am loving this story! I love the pace, the feel of it, how they both know how special this is--how something 'big' is going on btw them....very heart-warming, very beautiful Corrina thumbsup ...he can visit literally whenever you want. No problem.

"Aren't there dozens of local women who would love to go out with you?"
I'm sure there are...definitely sure there are.

She shouldn't have come to Iowa. She should have sent a generous wedding gift and used the corruption story as her alibi.
Love it when fate steps in laugh

He turned away, dejection rising from him like steam, twisting Lois's heart and releasing a droplet of regret. "I would love a cup of coffee," she called softly to his back.
Really enjoyed how he brings her coffee...Clark always likes to bring Lois coffee.

What was it about him that had shaken her barricades with his presence, carved chunks from her resistance with every smile, and melted the icecaps of her heart with the heat smouldering in those striking brown eyes?
Great part...she's definitely feeling everything, too.

"It's the best coffee I've tasted in a long time," she said. "Where did you get it?"

"Just a place I know."
'Just a place I know'....such a great line--yeah, it could be literally from anywhere. Loved! thumbsup

"I don't usually divulge personal information so soon after meeting someone," Clark said. "I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable. Again."

"I don't usually tell people my parents are divorced."
Another great back and forth...that feeling of connection is really setting in, getting to know each other, bit by bit.

"I don't believe in love," she said flatly.
Yeah, I don't see that line holding up, Lois...You also didn't know Clark Kent before today laugh

His head swung. His eyes collided with hers.

And held her there.

Captivated. Entranced.
Magic dance . I really enjoy how you are capturing their immediate attraction/connection throughout the story.

Lois slid her hand across the table, palm up. His hand inched forward. The tips of his fingers landed on the pads of hers.
Awww. A-mazing!

Clark knew he'd been born to love her.

And he did.

Beautiful! Can not wait to read the next part...and see how this special weekend enfolds for them.

GREAT!
Laura smile

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
#99333 02/21/14 05:26 PM
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
I love how once Lois tells him a (respectfully but) firm no, he not only backs offs but goes into a (semi) reporter mode (after she does, of course). Remember that her sister told her that she has interviews not DATES. I take that to mean that she questions people. In a way a first date really is an interview in a way. It's the KIND of interview that makes it fun (or teeth-pullingly unenjoyable).

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
#99334 02/22/14 06:08 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This is a very different Clark.

Loving the story.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
#99335 02/22/14 06:59 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I'm enjoying this story very much. I like seeing how they interact when they meet for the first time in a social situation, without the pressures of having a workplace relationship.

Lois doesn't have her "top banana" mentality in play, and Clark isn't worried about being a new hire who's still on probation. They come to this as equals.

#99336 02/22/14 02:15 PM
K
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
K
Lois's 'no' didn't sound to convincing. cool Clark made a wise choice to stay with her and be a perfect gentleman. After a few hours of enjoying his company, she may change her mind. laugh

KateB
#99337 02/23/14 01:52 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I'm really enjoying reading this story. So sweet and romantic

#99338 02/23/14 01:07 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'm really enjoying this story. I'm glad that Lois doesn't want to hurt Clark and hates that she hurt his feelings when she turned him down. It's so sweet. So far, it's all been total WAFF! clap

Clark felt as if he were floating.

He wasn't. He'd checked. Several times.
Awwwww. and rotflol

Awwwww. You make me want to fall in love all over again.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#99339 02/24/14 03:58 PM
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
frown That Lois turned Clark down, although it does seem that he acted needlessly fast.

On the other hand, since she sat with him, ate with him, is planning to ask him to sit with her at the wedding, and is dancing with him, the net effect of her saying no to an actual date seems to not exist. I guess they in theory would spend more time together, but are getting almost as much time together by this method.

And this is before we have Clark see Lois home for the night, which might occur.

I also have to say I loved Lois's "only with you answer" to "do you dance".

John Pack Lambert
#99340 02/24/14 04:47 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Jane kinda sounds like Lois....she was at the paper, didn't date, Shayne started working there, he wore her down....

I love Clark's persistence smile

"It's the mythology of a sun god who wished he was a man because he saw something so great in us.
It's the story of a hero who could move whole worlds and see through stars and hear a whisper on the other side of the planet...
...and who fell in love with a storyteller." - ashmaht (x)
#99341 02/26/14 04:05 AM
I
Blogger
Blogger
I
I can't believe she said no! frown

I like Clark's persistence, too.

I'm looking forward to Part 3. smile

#99342 03/07/14 01:57 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Is part three posting soon? Correction: Are parts 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 (and possibly 8) posting soon? hyper grovel Please!

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#99343 03/07/14 02:44 PM
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
wave

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
#99344 03/25/14 06:06 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Oh my, I am so far behind in replying to FDK. (Doesn't mean I didn't read it and enjoy it very soon after it was posted smile )

Annie Glad you liked the little snippet from Clark's POV.

Lady L One of the things I really enjoy about writing LnC is that the readers know the characters so well that there is very little need to explain much. I simply say Clark went to get coffee and you know it wasn't from the shop just down the road!

Vicki I can't say much, but you should never lose faith in your over-active imagination. It's been right many times before in my stories. Is it right this time? We'll see. cool

Laura Thanks for such detailed FDK.

Can not wait to read the next part...and see how this special weekend enfolds for them.
Eek. It's been another long delay. Sorry.

Christina Interesting insight. I didn't write it deliberately that way, but what you say makes a lot of sense.

Morgana I'm not sure Clark is all that different. I think he's the same, just in different circumstances, he doesn't feel the need to hide so much. Debbie explains it well. clap

Kate Clark is a hard man to shift when he really, really wants something. He's prepared to wait, but rarely is he prepared to give up on his dream.

Seme Lovely to hear from you. It's great that you're reading.

Virginia

Awwwww. You make me want to fall in love all over again.
Thank you. That's pretty much this story in one sentence - it's all about falling in love.

John I'm not sure it was 'needlessly' fast. It's now Friday evening. The wedding and preparations will take up a lot of Saturday afternoon and evening. Lois could be flying out first thing Sunday morning. If Clark hadn't asked her out now, when was he going to do it?

Yeah, it was pretty much a date, wasn't it? smile

Kismatt

Jane kinda sounds like Lois....she was at the paper, didn't date, Shayne started working there, he wore her down....
Yeah, it was easier to basically copy the show than create a whole new love story that was never going to be the focus of this story.

Ingeborg Part 3 has been posted for a while. Part 4 is coming soon.

Virginia and Laura Thanks for the enthusiasm. Part 6 is with the BRs, and the story will definitely be 8 parts in length.

Thanks to all who left FDK. I'm glad you're enjoying this little piece of fluff.

Corrina.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard