Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#96688 08/01/13 11:47 AM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Comments here please smile Also, if you have any thoughts for other related one-shots, throw them in as well.

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
#96689 08/01/13 02:13 PM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I love it!

Jonathan actually reminds me in some ways of my son. Many people on the autism spectrum, my son included, share some traits with people with OCD, namely an extreme attention to details and a need for everything to be "just so."

I would definitely love to see more of this universe. Perhaps a prequel which covers Jonathan's initial diagnosis and his parents coming to terms with it. Perhaps a story showing how his nascent powers affected him. (Although there are plenty of "L&C's kid comes of age as his/her powers emerge" stories, this one would really stand out, since the others don't deal with OCD.) And, of course, there's always the "first public appearance as a superhero" story to be written.

To paraphrase Oliver, "Please, ma'am, may I have some more?"

Joy,
Lynn

#96690 08/01/13 02:38 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Originally posted by Lynn S. M.:
I love it!

Jonathan actually reminds me in some ways of my son. Many people on the autism spectrum, my son included, share some traits with people with OCD, namely an extreme attention to details and a need for everything to be "just so."

I would definitely love to see more of this universe. Perhaps a prequel which covers Jonathan's initial diagnosis and his parents coming to terms with it. Perhaps a story showing how his nascent powers affected him. (Although there are plenty of "L&C's kid comes of age as his/her powers emerge" stories, this one would really stand out, since the others don't deal with OCD.) And, of course, there's always the "first public appearance as a superhero" story to be written.
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it so much. smile I'm definitely not severe in my symptoms, but certain things get to me more than others. The counting thing (where he knows the exact number of shells and such) is kind of taken from my brother. When he was like eight years old he was confused as to why we didn't realize there were a total of 80 some-odd buttons on the top of the curtains in our whole house. He thought everybody counted things. He also does the tapping thing sometimes, when he's upset or anxious about something. :p I'm more obsessed with organizing and perfecting things. Nobody in our house is allowed to touch the movie drawers, for example, because I reorganize it whenever it hits me. Also, I struggle with being able to actually do things-- if I don't think I can do it right, then I won't do it at all; if I'm two minutes late to class, I might as well not go at all, and then it spirals into depression, etc...

Anyway. I hadn't even considered a prequel one, that might be good. I did have the first use of powers in the costume one planned, but unfortunately I'm not sure when I'll get to those. huh Time is unfortunately short right now...

Glad you liked!

--Mark Twain
#96691 08/01/13 03:54 PM
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
clap clap clap

I like this one. smile I'm curious to see if and how Johnathan manages to become a superhero despite this obstacle. Got any more? grovel

~•~
#96692 08/01/13 04:46 PM
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
This was a fun story, although I have to admit I was confused at the beginning why he was calling Lois Mrs. Kent, until I realized it was her son.

John Pack Lambert
#96693 08/01/13 08:01 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
smile1

The hero swooped in, cape billowing behind him as he landed gracefully before her. "May I be of some assistance, Mrs. Kent?"

Lois wrung her hands nervously. "Oh, Superman, thank goodness you came! I don't know what to do. I came home with my daughter to find the house a wreck and some stuff missing. What do I do?"
Okay. Lois and Clark married, but she doesn't know he's Superman? clap Loving and supportive. Wells was right. She is a great mom!

"I understand," Lois gave him a sympathetic look. "And if that is how you feel, then I think you're working in the wrong direction."

Jonathan frowned. "What do you mean?"

"I think you're still playing it too safe. If you really want this to work out, you've gotta raise the stakes. Get into a real situation."
LOIS: <<picks up cell phone, dials>> Clark, be a dear and burgle Mom and Dad's place really quickly for me. They still don't know about you. I'm going to send Jonathan over there for a test run. He looks just like you did at that age, and Mom's sight is failing and Dad's hearing is going. They're the perfect test run for him. And if he screws up, we can finally tell them the truth. Thanks, I knew you'd love it. Call me when you get this message. <<hangs up>>

"Have you thought of a name yet?"
Does Clark hate Superman's name so much, that he doesn't recommend his children get named by the press (whom his parents are a part of)? Oooooh. Got it. clap

Jonathan, realized he'd been duped by his parents once again, crossed his arms over his chest and scowled at them. "Mean. You guys are mean. Taking advantage of a germaphobe like that for your own entertainment..."
There we go. An invulnerable man with a germ-phobia. notworthy Mouse, my cheeks are hurting from laughing so hard. That's just cruel. Poor Jonathan. He has a while to go before he's ready for the suit.

Fun little story. I'm glad you can see the humor in your life enough to share it with us. I did get a bit confused at first and threw me through a loop there. I guess I missed some of the verbal clues about Lois being "his mother" and Jonathan being a "young man" earlier (I discovered them on second read). Oooops. blush I'm going back under my rock now.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#96694 08/01/13 08:52 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Well, I'm (undiagnosed) OCD too. I used to count things like lines in the wall or street signs, but when I'd read something with multiple lines, I had a tendency to make them add up to multiples of four. Still do, actually, just not as compulsively.

My favorite line:

"She likes it when I go commando in those," Clark winked.
My first thought was that he'd get out of the suit as fast as he could not because of germs but because his parents - EW!!! Gechhh!! I can't even type that.

Let me encourage young Jonathan. If he can function on an adult level now, even with his tics and mannerisms and compulsions, he will grow out of some of that.

And yay for Lois! She affirmed him very powerfully without setting the bar too high. She's placing her faith in him and his ability to succeed without making that a condition of her love. Even if he can't get past it, his parents will still accept him for who he is: a young man with almost limitless potential who's probably smarter than the two of them put together.

My only concern for Jonathan is when he runs up against a no-win situation. As hard as his father took it when he couldn't save everyone, Jonathan will take it harder by orders of magnitude. And I hope one of his early missions doesn't involve cleaning up the aftermath of a tornado. That's nothing but chaos and broken structures and shattered lives. He won't be able to fix that as easily as he did the living room.

Great story, Mouse. You've humanized Clark and Lois and their son without robbing them of their heroic roles, including Lois (a hero for selling out to help her son). I'll read more of these as soon as I find them on the boards.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#96695 08/02/13 11:37 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Jonathan huffed out a short laugh at the same moment as when Superman came floating through the window. Clark did a quick double take at his son before relaxing. "That threw me for a bit of a loop," he commented dryly. "How's it going?"
Love this! Good story.

Clark: "Lois, you know, I really hope someday that you learn, that sometimes what it seems like people are doing isn't what they're really doing."
Lois: "What are you, a fortune cookie?"
#96696 08/02/13 01:26 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Let's hope Jonathan gets over his OCD enough to *be* Superman.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
#96697 08/04/13 12:55 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Mouse!

/whispers/ Please keep the separator lines down to 10 or so consecutive characters at most. Otherwise, the browser can’t line wrap and reading on a small screen gets all scrolly smile
"Superman! Help! Help me! Please, help!"

The hero swooped in, cape billowing behind him as he landed gracefully before her. "May I be of some assistance, Mrs. Kent?"
Lois is heat? Or a stuck picklejar. Baby-Kent soiled his diapers?

He took in a long, slow, deep breath and met Lois' eyes. They were comforting, reassuring. It was all just part of an elaborate test, he knew. Fight the urge.
Wait, he’s married, with children, and hasn’t yet told her? And she’s not figured it out. Officially, at least? Oh boy.

Lois studied him with a careful eye as he slowly transformed from the calm, confident superhero back into the frantic, panic-stricken young man underneath. He started up again with an all-too familiar patterned tapping rhythm, and Lois knew she was starting to lose him.
So, Clark’s the one with the OCD? Well, duh, given that Lois is the one with the ADD.

"Jonathan," her voice was low with warning and concern. "Stay with me. Just breathe through it."
wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#96698 08/04/13 04:23 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
/laughing really hard at the thought of a superhero with OCD/

But you made it so plausible!

#96699 08/07/13 10:26 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Originally posted by Queen of the Capes:
clap clap clap

I like this one. smile I'm curious to see if and how Johnathan manages to become a superhero despite this obstacle. Got any more? grovel
Not yet. I've got some ideas of course, but nothing to actually post... and thanks!

--Mark Twain
#96700 08/07/13 11:04 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
A new Mouse fic!
/instantly suspicious/ grumble

LOIS: You should have seen your father when he first started rescuing me, day after day after day. We kept practicing until he was able to do it without anyone figuring out he was Clark Kent. We still do it from time to time, to keep up his skills tight.
evil I thought he would be. The people who love you the most are most often also the ones who tease you the most.

There we go. An invulnerable man with a germ-phobia. Mouse, my cheeks are hurting from laughing so hard. That's just cruel. Poor Jonathan. He has a while to go before he's ready for the suit.
Oh yeah. The suit is coming, but definitely gotta work out some kinks, too...

Fun little story. I'm glad you can see the humor in your life enough to share it with us. I did get a bit confused at first and threw me through a loop there. I guess I missed some of the verbal clues about Lois being "his mother" and Jonathan being a "young man" earlier (I discovered them on second read). Oooops. I'm going back under my rock now.
Haha, no problem! Glad you enjoyed (and I know you're not the only one who got confused, so don't worry!).

--Mark Twain
#96701 08/07/13 11:19 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Originally posted by Terry Leatherwood:
Well, I'm (undiagnosed) OCD too. I used to count things like lines in the wall or street signs, but when I'd read something with multiple lines, I had a tendency to make them add up to multiples of four. Still do, actually, just not as compulsively.
Yeah, the numbers thing is really weird (not for you, I'm not calling you a weirdo, just remarking on people's number issues in general...) :p . For example, I have a love of odd numbers, while my brother loves even ones. We do this thing with the time where we'll add up the numbers and do things to make it work like a math equation (drives my mom nuts because she hates math...)

My favorite line: "She likes it when I go commando in those," Clark winked.

My first thought was that he'd get out of the suit as fast as he could not because of germs but because his parents - [b]EW!!!
Gechhh!! I can't even type that.[/b]
Yeah, that's definitely apart of it. evil I didn't know how to say it either, so I just let it be chalked up to germs... blush

Let me encourage young Jonathan. If he can function on an adult level now, even with his tics and mannerisms and compulsions, he will grow out of some of that.[qb]
True... (hear that universe? There's hope for me yet! :p ) Kidding. I know, because I've made some progress, as has my brother... The fun part is having those mannerisms be set off. evil

[qb]And yay for Lois! She affirmed him very powerfully without setting the bar too high. She's placing her faith in him and his ability to succeed without making that a condition of her love. Even if he can't get past it, his parents will still accept him for who he is: a young man with almost limitless potential who's probably smarter than the two of them put together.
You phrased this so well! And thank you blush

My only concern for Jonathan is when he runs up against a no-win situation. As hard as his father took it when he couldn't save everyone, Jonathan will take it harder by orders of magnitude. And I hope one of his early missions doesn't involve cleaning up the aftermath of a tornado. That's nothing but chaos and broken structures and shattered lives. He won't be able to fix that as easily as he did the living room.
Too true.

Great story, Mouse. You've humanized Clark and Lois and their son without robbing them of their heroic roles, including Lois (a hero for selling out to help her son). I'll read more of these as soon as I find them on the boards.
Thank you! Glad you thought so highly of it! blush

--Mark Twain
#96702 08/08/13 02:58 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Originally posted by Darth Michael:
/whispers/ Please keep the separator lines down to 10 or so consecutive characters at most. Otherwise, the browser can’t line wrap and reading on a small screen gets all scrolly
Whoops blush I'll fix that. I tend to get carried away with myself at times...

Lois in heat? Or a stuck picklejar. Baby-Kent soiled his diapers?
laugh No, unfortunately.

He’s going to snap when he gets to do a tsunami cleanup, isn’t he?
True dat.

Orderman? Straight Guy? Mr. Proper?
rotflol If it weren't for the powers Clark would be asking for a paternity test...

Oh boy. He grabbed Clark’s role-play suit? Eeeeewww
laugh You're welcome.

Thanks for popping by Michael!

--Mark Twain
#96703 08/10/13 12:28 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Those would all be really good ideas (particularly #1
blush and [Linked Image]

If it weren't for the powers Clark would be asking for a paternity test...
Well, Lois did have his powers once. Maybe they stuck to her genes, too, somehow and manifested themselves in her son?

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard