Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#86039 04/25/12 08:59 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
You can find the [i]Another Dimension, Another Time, Another Lois[/i] TOC here.

My apologies, once again, to all the Dan fans out there. I know you are all so disappointed in his fairwell song, because you were all hoping for something a little more... evil

Comments?

Last edited by VirginiaR; 05/04/14 02:25 AM. Reason: Added Link

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
I was wondering how you were going to get Jimmy and Lois out of this without Superman. Jimmy's father was a nice touch.

This cracked me up:

“If neither of us find the person of our dreams by the time I’m forty, Jimmy has graciously offered to marry me, so we don’t die alone, and I have accepted,” she explained.
I hate to say this, because I really can't stand Dan, but it doesn't seem like Lois gave him a fair chance. Of all people she knows you have to go with the story. Of course, I can't say that I'll miss him much... wink

She had thought about driving all the way from Metropolis, but after looking at the map, she determined it would take a minimum of two twelve-hour days in the car – one-way – just to get to Smallville.
I always wondered where Metropolsis was relative to Smallville. For some reason, I think of it as Chicago but that's not quite right.

Sounds like something's up with Clark's parents.

Joan

Top Banana
Top Banana
I am *really* enjoying this story. Today's post was a riot; I was laughing through the whole thing (even the break-up with Dan, mean as that sounds.) I think my favorite part, though, was this:
“I’m drug free. I eat well. I exercise. My body is in top condition,” Jimmy bragged with some embellishment.

“No, he’s not. Jimmy lives on pizza and junk food. He gets winded running down the block…”

“Lois,” Jimmy groaned, shooting her a pleading look.

“I think you should also know, this man is insane,” she told Spencer.

“Lois!” her partner scolded her.

“That really doesn’t matter, honey. I’m not going to need his head,” Spencer reminded her. “How old are you, kid?” he questioned Jimmy.

“What?” the young photographer exclaimed with a frightened glance at Lois. “What did he mean by that?”

“Jimmy,” Lois warned.

“How old are you?” Spencer repeated to the young man, taking another look at him. “And take off your shirt.” He glanced over at Lois. “Your other boyfriend is what thirty? Older?”

“I’m twenty-two.” Jimmy slowly started to unbutton his shirt and murmured to Lois under his breath, “What does he want exactly?”

“Your body,” Lois murmured back with a head bob towards the picture behind Spencer. “Literally.”

Her partner’s eyes popped wide open as his hands went up defensibly. “Well, you caught me, Spencer. It’s just like she said. I use drugs all the time. If it isn’t prepackaged and full of chemicals, I don’t eat it. I never exercise. I have heartburn and diabetes. The doctors have given me six months to live.”
Lol. I think it is very clever the changes you make as you write Clark out of these stories. Well, I guess those aren't quite the words I want. He's not out of the story, he's just been moved to the inside of Lois's head. Anyway, well done. clap

One little thing, though, that didn't ring true for me... In a small town like Smallville, if someone turns up looking for a friend named "Kent," I'm thinking it highly unlikely Maisie (or anyone else in town) would say they didn't know anyone named Kent. It seems to me, the most reasonable thing is that they would immediately assume the person was looking for one of the Kents. (ESPECIALLY if, as I'm assuming - although I could be wrong here - the family currently under discussion - i.e., the owners of the working farm resort - are the Kents.)

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Poor Lois. Reduced to a contract to marry Jimmy to save her from being an old maid and listening to and talking to a voice in her head that she is in love with? Can things get any better? Well, I guess they can if you realize she didn't waste much of her time on Dan.

I had forgotten a lot of that dialog with Spencer Spencer. Even though it makes me groan, it was fun to see Lois get herself out of that mess without the man in the spandex. I wonder if when she finally gets back to saving Clark if he will have missed those horrible times?

Enjoying this. It relives the episodes that I've forgotten, but it also seems to find another way out of the mess. Always have enjoyed a familiar tale with a different ending.

Pat

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Joan: I'm glad you liked the part with Jack Olsen. I was afraid that one was a bit of a stretch, since I moved the timeline up... six months or so. :rolleyes: Glad it worked.

I hate to say this, because I really can't stand Dan, but it doesn't seem like Lois gave him a fair chance. Of all people she knows you have to go with the story. Of course, I can't say that I'll miss him much...
Well, she did give him more of a chance than canon Lois did. laugh <<thinking I should duck after that revelation>>

I always wondered where Metropolsis was relative to Smallville. For some reason, I think of it as Chicago but that's not quite right.
Yes, that was my feeling too, especially with some of those flyover "shots" they did for the show. While writing Green-Eyed Monster I got into a debate with my Betas on this very fact so I came up with the Where is Metropolis Poll . Due to popular demand, I caved and have moved Metropolis to the east coast for my stories, mostly because I just couldn't see how a tsunami could be formed on the Great Lakes. evil <<coughs>> Keep reading <<cough>>

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Vicki: Ah-Ha, another person who laughs at the pain of others. clap (There is just something about Jimmy's character which makes serious drama slide off him like greasy Teflon. I think it might be his bubbly personality.) You will find much humor here... Although, be warned we are moving out of the tropical island comic interlude eye of my dark story storm. Not everything in Smallville will by green-glowy pieces of mirth.

Per my Lois dumps Dan scene (which I must give an extra notworthy to my Betas for helping me re-work recently), originally was much crueler (Lois spelling out to Dan what happened between her and Jimmy on the island). I toned it down because I thought it was too much for even Lois (and because I liked Dan; he just wasn't right for Lois). Then after hearing all the outpouring of Love for Dan on these boards, I decided to try to tweak it to a happy medium. My Betas agreed that it didn't seem in Lois' character to be THAT graphic and if she did, Dan wouldn't buy it.

I looked over those final two paragraph that you noted and made these changes:

Lois decided that Clark was probably right about erring on the side of caution. It wasn’t her usual form, but this wasn’t her typical case. She wouldn’t want to spook anyone by dropping Clark’s full name too soon, no matter how tempting it was to know if Miss Know-It-All Smallville had heard of him. On the other hand, she hadn’t come half-way across the country to not ask the hard questions. “I’m looking for a friend of mine who went missing; someone named…” She pressed her lips together and then exhaled. “Kent,” Lois finally spit out.

Maisie gave her an apologetic smile. “Sorry, hon. I don’t know any Kent in Smallville. Let me go call The Farm and see if they’ve got room for you.” She knocked on the table, despite it being Formica instead of wood, and took a few steps back towards the kitchen before stopping. The waitress turned back to Lois and asked, “You don’t mean Martha and Jonathan Kent?” Then she waved that idea out of the air. “Nah, the Kents aren't missing. I’m betting you mean someone with the first name Kent, right?” She shrugged and continued on to the diner’s kitchen.
Hope that makes it more clear why Maisie didn't think of M&J at first.

VirginiaR.
---
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by angelsgmaw:
Poor Lois. Reduced to a contract to marry Jimmy to save her from being an old maid...
<<cough>> sarcasm <<cough>> She'd never let that happen. <<cough>> (Or as Michael suggested back a FDK ago, she'd end up killing Jimmy before that could ever happen.)

...and listening to and talking to a voice in her head that she is in love with? Can things get any better?
Yes, of course! Things can always get better, but they can also get worse. Maybe better for a little while. Perhaps not for good. Maybe 'better' is relative term. Her life is a bit of a good, bad, good, bad rollercoaster at the moment. evil

Enjoying this.
Thank you and I'm glad, Pat.

It relives the episodes that I've forgotten, but it also seems to find another way out of the mess. Always have enjoyed a familiar tale with a different ending.
Yes, I had lots of fun trying to imagine how to get Lois out of these scenarios without Clark. It gets more and more difficult the more of these they throw at me. laugh More re-writes to come. [Linked Image] hard at work. wink

VirginiaR.
---
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Joan,

In the series New Troy is on the east coast somewhere between North Carolina and Virginia, in fact it is probably North Carolina in disguise. Metropolis is a sea port. cool

Virginia,

Vicki is correct. I grew up in a small town, very much like Smallville, in fact it could have been the prototype. Everyone knows everyone else's business. If the name Kent was mentioned the assumption would not be made that it was a first name. The association to the family name would be made. Maisie would have jumped right on that. thumbsup

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
Originally posted by KenJ:
Joan,

In the series New Troy is on the east coast somewhere between North Carolina and Virginia, in fact it is probably North Carolina in disguise. Metropolis is a sea port. cool
I never would've thought that, though it does make sense.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yes, of course! Things can always get better, but they can also get worse. Maybe better for a little while. Perhaps not for good. Maybe 'better' is relative term. Her life is a bit of a good, bad, good, bad rollercoaster at the moment.
I worry that when Clark appears he won't be "her" Clark but Alt-Clark and I'm afraid that both of them (or the three, if you consider "ghost Clark") will get hurt. sad

Hoping she finds some useful information in Smallville.

Andreia

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This part was just chock-full of hilarious bits. I wish I could quote them all.

A few of my favorites:

“I’m on assignment,” Jimmy responded stiffly, climbing to his feet. “Lois and I came to check out a romantic island resort.”

Mr. Olsen took an obvious gaze around the destroyed room and raised a brow. “How does it rate?”

“I’m going to give it a fail,” Jimmy said.
laugh laugh laugh

Jimmy shrugged. “Some of us prefer to spend the weekend with a live woman to headless dead men."
laugh laugh laugh

“Chief, please. Don’t defend him. When it comes down to it, dan wasn’t there for me when he said he would be. If it hadn’t been for Jimmy, my cobra-venom filled, sexually assaulted body would be washing up on the shores of Metropolis.”
And the sad thing is that, this is probably a normal day in the life of Lois Lane. laugh

“Dan told me not to tell him it was you,” Lois replied. “So, I gave him what he asked for.”

Um… Lois…

“No, Clark, nothing happened with Jimmy. Never been there, never going there, would rather die,” she said, scrolling down the screen.
Laughing my way through this part. Well done!

and as a sidebar:
Metropolis is a sea port.
That's why I always rolled my eyes at certain parts of the "Smallville" TV show, (filmed in Vancouver) where Metropolis was officially in Kansas, an unspecified distance from the Kent Farm. I giggled when they talked about stuff happening on "the docks", or when they showed seaport-y stuff in the FREAKIN' MIDDLE OF KANSAS!

And let's not even talk about the mountains you could sometimes see in the background. Because we all know that Kansas is very mountainous.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by KenJ:
Vicki is correct. I grew up in a small town, very much like Smallville, in fact it could have been the prototype. Everyone knows everyone else's business. If the name Kent was mentioned the assumption would not be made that it was a first name. The association to the family name would be made. Maisie would have jumped right on that. thumbsup
So, you don't think my re-write of those two paragraphs work? Or are you still thinking of my original paragraphs? You both realize that it's less than a minute between Lois mentioning "Kent" and when Maisie brings up M&J, right? Or is it this line that bothers you both:
“Sorry, hon. I don’t know any Kent in Smallville. Let me go call The Farm and see if they’ve got room for you.”
In the original writing of this scene (really, I wrote this Smallville arc 3 times wallbash - my current file -- for those you trying to break through my firewall -- is called "try 3") Lois said "Clark" and then Maisie turned and back said, "Clark as in Martha Clarke, now Martha Clarke Kent?" which I agree works better, being that Martha hasn't been known as Martha Clarke for roughly 30 years by this point, but then I switched it around to Kent, but left the line basically the same. Please let me know. If my edit still doesn't work for you, I'll keep batting it around. Thanks for the FDK.

VirginiaR.
---
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Ultra Woman:
I worry that when Clark appears he won't be "her" Clark but Alt-Clark and I'm afraid that both of them (or the three, if you consider "ghost Clark") will get hurt. sad
Poor Alt-Clark always seems to get the short end of that love-triangle, because he's always ends up being the wrong Clark. frown

Hoping she finds some useful information in Smallville.
Define "useful". cool

VirginiaR.
---
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
This part was just chock-full of hilarious bits. I wish I could quote them all.
Thank you! Go right ahead... quote away, IolantheAlias, I don't mind. laugh

Yes, that line of Jimmy's about 'failing' the island as a romantic destination is an oldie but a goodie. wink

And the sad thing is that, this is probably a normal day in the life of Lois Lane.
Has anyone ever written a story where Lois freaks out because she has a "normal" day where nothing insane, crazy, or deadly happens to her? Hmmmm. Tank? Nah, she'd probably end up at her desk, muttering to herself, and cutting off her hair with her scissors. [Linked Image]

Laughing my way through this part. Well done!
Okay, I added that line about Jimmy in just in case Tank (or anyone else)started to hyperventilate because Jimmy's part suddenly grew larger in the story and they were worried that Jimmy would replace Dan as Lois' new beau. (Oh, the things we do to please our readers. laugh )

That's why I always rolled my eyes at certain parts of the "Smallville" TV show, (filmed in Vancouver) where Metropolis was officially in Kansas, an unspecified distance from the Kent Farm. I giggled when they talked about stuff happening on "the docks", or when they showed seaport-y stuff in the FREAKIN' MIDDLE OF KANSAS!
Smallville is in Kansas, but I believe the Metropolis of Smallville is 3 hours away (180 miles) in state of New Troy (doesn't Lana's football playing boyfriend - not the first one, the second one... and Lois Lane both go to New Troy U in Metropolis?)

And let's not even talk about the mountains you could sometimes see in the background. Because we all know that Kansas is very mountainous.
It is my understanding from reading the "Little House on the Prairie" books last year ( wink research) that Kansas doesn't get more mountainous than "hills". But then again, I'm a mountain gal who believes anything east of the Rockies are hills. laugh (This applies only to the continental USA. They have some very nice mountains in Switzerland.)

VirginiaR.
---
Top Banana
Top Banana
Hey Virginia,

I'm not sure how important it is. I think I might be making a mountain out of a molehill. I'm really, REALLY enjoying the story.

*Edited to add: I see now that my post immediately follows one about mountains. This post is _not_ about mountains or molehills. It's about the Kents. wink

However, since you asked: the last line about "you must mean someone with the first name Kent" didn't make sense to me. Even if Lois did mean Kent as a first name, Maisie would know *that* Kent, too. She knows EVERYONE in town, so it makes not difference. Either there is a missing Smallville Kent or there isn't. And as far as Maisie is concerned, there isn't.

Also, the "I don't know any Kent" line struck me odd, because she DOES know _two_ Kents. Maybe "I don't know any missing Kents"?

Now, if there's a reason you don't want her to think of M&J at all at first (and Ken and I agree she would normally *immediately* think of them), you can give her an excuse for thinking Kent is a first name. Something along the lines of "Well, Kent Johnson went away to college 5 years ago and hasn't been back since. You don't mean him, do you?" or "There's Kent Johnson, but he's not missing; I just spoke with him yesterday."

Or, just leave it. I think maybe the fact that it's the very end of a sort of cliff-hanger ending to this chapter might have given it more significance in my mind than it deserves. Probably when it's in the archives, people will read along to whatever follows in Chapter 14 without giving it a second thought.

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks, Vicki, I'll take another look at 14... oh, right, got to prep that for tonight wallbash ... and see how it flows. Yes, originally this wasn't where the Part broke (yes, I was working towards a cliffy. angel-devil ), but when I re-wrote and re-wrote the Smallville arc, it worked better to break here.

Thanks for your input.

VirginiaR.
---
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
“Come on. Wake up,” some male voice coaxed through a thick fog. It wasn’t Clark’s or Jimmy’s.
Nope, it’s that of her new husband. It’s an arranged marriage.

“I’ve had lousy dates before, but this is ridiculous,” the deep voice continued.
He’s boring?

Her chair was surrounded by six cross-bows at close range.
Fancy. But why. He got it off a prop auction for a show from the 90s?

Either someone was paranoid, or her reputation had preceded her.
wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
And here we go again!

“Lois, I’m really sorry about your island vacation,” Perry apologized to her over the telephone. “I’m sure you’re too overwrought to put words…”
Because there weren’t any Mai Ties?

I was just being recruited as an unwilling sex slave,”
Isn’t that kind of redundant? Well, I guess there is role play. And in ancient times, people sold themselves into slavery. But then, she doesn’t have Clark to correct her.

“Two whole weeks? On vacation? You?” Perry couldn’t hide his disbelief.
Umm…sorry, Perry. They killed Lois and sent back a clone.

“Why? Does some other psycho billionaire that I don’t know about got it out for me?”
It’s Tuesday, so yeah, proably.

Glancing through the peep-hole, she saw a large pizza box. “I ordered Chinese!” she said to the person on the other side of the door.
Great. Billionaire outside.

“No, thank you,” she said through the door, not opening it. “I gave at the office.”
wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Iolanthealias and Virginia,

I'm with you. In L&C canon there is the appropriate distance, east coast - Kansas. thumbsup The Kents always had to fly to get to Metropolis.

That was one of the major quibbles I had with the Smallville series. Metropolis was FAR too close to Smallville. confused

From Metropolis, if you were high enough you should be able to see the Appalachain mountains in the background, but not from Smallville. smile

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
wave Michael!

Nope, it’s that of her new husband. It’s an arranged marriage.
Er... Um... Wrong fic... oh, you mean alt-Clark finally arrived. clap Yep, that sounds about right!

He actually planned this one?
He planned the Superman kidnapping as well. It wasn't like he got access to InstantSuperProtrait.com

Wouldn’t it have been easier to hire a male porn star?
Yes, but looking for a cleaner body.

Is she going to mention to Spencer boy that it was he himself who thwarted his plan?
Oooh. That would have been good. Maybe I'll have to add something for the Archive Version.

Problem is, with Jimmy’s body, said spunk might cause permanent damage to said body.
Constant dry heaves?

Jimmy: “My man Spencer wants me to be *his* man? I *can’t* believe he’s gay!”
I wonder why he produces a titty magazine then? Of course, he does Metropolis Madame Monthly too, doesn't he?

Really, Clark? Isn’t that kind of an insensitive thing to say? Also, I believe you enjoyed being married to a former sex slave very much. True, she was unspoiled, but still…
Sorry, he died before S4 and doesn't know that Lois likes leashes.

You know, if even the aliens from Mars Attacks didn’t manage to do the body transplant properly, why does an earthbound quack think he can do better?
<<coughing>> agree with you <<coughing>>

Oooooh! I can’t believe I was right! Umm…do you want your backup harddisk back?
Nah, go ahead and keep it. I think you've got an earlier version of the story, anyway. wink

The sex slaves are nice to look at but the service is horrid and I didn’t get serviced.
clap dizzy

He wonders what drugs Jimmy got his hands on?
Well, he's quazi-friends with a DEA agent...

Poor Lois. So young and already widowed.
Does it still count as widowed if you kill your own hubby?

Just for kicks, that wasn’t on the show in “Dad”, was it?
Not that I can recall.

Ever since Jenna blew up, Dan’s taste’s been a tad strange?
Fine! Blame it on the dead girlfriend... Oh, maybe THAT's why he skipped out on Lois, it was Jena's idea! [Linked Image]

VirginiaR.
---
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard