* * denotes emphasis
< > denotes thoughts
/ denotes telepathic communications./

For reference purposes the following will hold true throughout.

Universal Locator Designation
Alpha 023 x Gamma 004 x Tau -120 - Canon Lois and Clark universe also called – Prime
Alpha 023 x Gamma 025 x Tau 036 – Canon Alt Clark universe also called – Alt 1

Previously -

As Mrs. Richards pulled out her cell phone Superman and Ultra Woman flew off with Ultra Woman carrying the little girl. A few seconds later they landed at MetGen and after checking the girl in at the ER asked to speak with the hospital administrator. A few seconds later they were ushered into his office. Superman spoke first, “Mr. Raymond we have a request to make. We just came from a fire at Metropolis Children’s Home and we were wondering if they could use your new wing until the home is rehabbed.”

Mr. Raymond replied, “Since that is the new children’s wing and since a majority of the funding for it came from the Superman Foundation, how can I refuse such a request. I’ll send staff in there to get things ready immediately.”

Ultra Woman replied, “Thank you Mr. Raymond. Any additional funding needed to pay staff for this effort will be reimbursed by the Superman Foundation.”

“Thank you, Ultra Woman, but that won’t be necessary. We will do this for the children.”

Superman spoke up, “If you don’t mind we will bring in a tree and some decorations.”

“That will be fine. We’ll clear a corner in the common room for it.”

They thanked him and departed. They flew back to the MCH. When Ultra Woman landed she was surrounded by the kids. Lois hugged as many of them as she could at one time Superman hovered over them and used his heat vision on low power to warm up the area while they waited for the bus. When the bus arrived they saw to it that the kids were all on board and then they returned to the Planet to write up the story.

Lois wrote up the hard story, which was a warning to home owners to make sure that they watered their live trees adequately to prevent fires like what had just happened at the MCH while Clark took the human interest side of the disruption to the kids living at the home and how this was going to affect them especially now at Christmas time. He also praised MetGen for their generosity in opening their new wing for the children until the home was rehabilitated. They each edited the other’s copy before they sent their stories to Perry.

A minute later they heard, “Lois, Clark, can I see you for a minute?”

When they got into the office Perry asked, “Okay, how will this affect our plans?”

Lois spoke up, “Chief, it’s going to be even more important than it was that we do this thing. These kids have now been kicked out of their ‘home’. It’s bad enough that they don’t have parents now they don’t have a place to call home. I think we need to proceed.”

“I agree. Lois you’ll be happy to know that Alice has agreed to use the dress you provided and I must say that she looks good in it. Now, mind you, I might be a little prejudiced …”

They both were laughing as Lois said, “Now, Chief, we’d *never* think *that*. We do know that Alice is a good sport and we are happy that she’ll be with us. We’ve already talked with the kids and they are looking forward to helping. Lucy and Jimmy will be there with their kids also. This is going to be soo much fun. I can’t wait.”

And Now -

Chapter 3 – Santa Clause Comes to Town

The big day had arrived. Overnight there had been a light snowfall and since the temperatures were still in the thirties it was expected that the snow would remain through Christmas. Superman and Ultra Woman picked up the presents at the warehouse that had been rented for this endeavor and flew the two big bags to the Emerson Hatcher wing of MetGen. When they landed and entered the door a cheer went up from all of the kids. They carried the bags inside and deposited them on the floor in the common room while the kids all watched. Before they left Lois turned to the kids and said, “Can you all wait a little while? Santa and his helpers will be here shortly to hand these out.” There were nods all around and an awed silence. She continued, “I spoke to Santa personally and he told me that he has something here for everyone.” Superman and Ultra Woman walked out the doors and flew off.

When they arrived back at their house they entered through their bedroom window and when they came downstairs dressed in their elfin attire they found Aunt Lucy, Uncle Jimmy and the cousins all gathered in the living room. Everyone was already in costume so they proceeded to load up. Lois still had her Cherokee but with the growing family they had picked up first a mini-van and then as it continued to grow a fifteen passenger van. Since they had that, both families could all go in the one vehicle, even with all the car seats.

While they had been in transit it had started lightly snowing again. They arrived just as Perry and Alice drove up and parked so they all walked in together. As they all walked in they could hear the kids singing some Christmas carols.

Jingle Bells

They all took off their coats in the foyer so that the kids would only see the costumes. Lois carried nine month old baby Lucy in her sling so all you could see was her head sticking out with a little Santa hat and an occasional red clad arm.

The staff had provided a ‘throne’ for Santa who made a grand entrance and sat down with plenty of “Ho, ho, ho’s.”

Alice and Lucy were stationed over at the presents. They would pick out one and hand it to one of the kids as Lois sent them over and then they would then take it over to Santa. Santa would call out the child’s name and Clark saw to it that they made it onto Santa’s lap to receive the gift and Jimmy took a picture of the gift being received and the look of wonder and joy on the child’s face as they opened it.

After the gifts had all been distributed Perry went over and had a whispered conversation with the staff member that had previously directed the singing. When he finished he went over to the piano and sat down. The staffer called the kids together and then –

We Wish You a Mewrry Christmas

After the kids had sung this carol the staff brought out a large sheet cake and buckets of ice cream and the elves and Santa were all invited to join in on the refreshments. Lois and Clark both watched on as Jon, Lara, Sean and Celeste all mingled with the kids from the orphanage apparently making friends.

After a while Lara came over to Lois and asked, “Mommy, can’t we dopt some of them, at least one or two?”

Not really surprised by this request coming from Lara Lois answered, “Oh, Honey, I’m sorry. We’d love to, but we just can’t do that.”

“Why, Mommy?”

Trying to be upbeat Lois said, “Sweetie you’re just going to have to be satisfied with your brothers and sisters. When you are older you’ll find out why.”

With resigned acceptance Lara said, “Okay Mommy.” And she returned to the party.

Seeing that it was getting late the Daily Planet crew with their families decided to call it a night and they said their goodbyes.

They all donned their coats in the foyer before exiting and as they opened the doors a flurry of snow entered. As they were walking to their cars the snow started accumulating on their hats and shoulders. As they were about to get into their car Alice and Perry turned to the rest of the party and Alice said, “This has been wonderful. I wouldn’t have missed it but right now I need to get into the car.” She looked over at Perry with a naughty look and said, “My legs are getting cold.” Everyong looked down and realized that her coat fell just a little below the waist. “I’m going to have to have Perry warm them up for me when we get home.”

With a happy smile and a chuckle in his voice he replied, “My pleasure my dear.” and helped her into the car.

The Kents and Olsens all loaded into the van. All of the kids were asleep before ever reaching home. This worked out well for the plans. While Jimmy and Lucy watched the kids Lois and Clark each took a child, child safety seat and all and flew them two at a time to Smallville and put them to bed in their room at the farm house. Last of course Clark and Lois took the luggage and Lois had Baby Lucy in her sling as they flew to Smallville.

When the kids got up in the morning they saw that they were in Smallville but didn’t question it as this happened frequently. They rushed downstairs to find Grandma and Grandpa Kent sitting in the living room waiting for them. They immediately mobbed the grandparents and they each had three on their laps when Lois and Clark finally made it downstairs with Lois having baby Lucy in her sling.

Lois said, “Morning Martha and Jonathan. Morning kids.”

Everyone replied in chorus.

Lois took baby Lucy out of her sling and handed her to Grandpa Kent to hold while she turned to Martha and asked, “Martha, may I help you with breakfast?”

Martha replied, “Surely, you may.” With this request Martha knew that something was up and figured that Lois wanted to speak to her on the side. They went into the kitchen together and after a few minutes everyone heard Martha gasp and drop a pan then they heard her starting to weep. Martha dashed upstairs and rummaged around for a few minutes and finally came back downstairs holding a small package.

A few minutes later Lois and Martha came back into the Living room and sat down.

Clark, with a mystified expression looked back and forth between the two apparent conspirators and finally asked, “Just what do you have up your sleeve?”

Lois replied, “You’d be surprised.” And then in a very cheery tone asked, “Why don’t we open the presents before we have breakfast?”

Jonathan started handing out the presents and all the kids had a good time opening theirs. Then it came to Lois, Clark, Jonathan and Martha.

Martha gave Jonathan a sculpture she had made. Jonathan gave her tickets to an Art show to be held in Wichita.

Clark had gotten Lois a necklace. The problem was that this was the last package under the tree. Lois saw the disappointment evident on his face. She knew how much he enjoyed the presents she got him. It wasn’t like the old days when she just got any old thing and sometimes even the same thing that she had previously gotten. She was really putting a lot of thought and planning into her purchases in recent years.

Lois said, “I see that you’ve noticed that I didn’t wrap your present. There’s a reason for that. It’s not here yet.” She reached behind her and picked up the small package Martha had given her and handed it to Clark. She said, “Remember my birthday?”

Clark got first a startled and then extremely happy look as he opened the package to reveal a pair of baby booties.

Clark immediately moved over and picked her up and put her on his lap.

The kids were mystified. Jon asked, “What’s the present Daddy?”

“Sport, Mommy’s present to us all is another little baby brother or sister for you guys.”

Jon was stunned and all he could say was, “*All right*! When?”

“Some time next summer Sweetie.”

“Can we have another boy to make it even?”

Laughing Lois replied, “I’ll see what I can do. But, what if it’s another girl? Are you going to want me to return her?”

“Nah, that’s okay. We can handle it.”

Martha spoke up, “Who wants breakfast?” She got the biggest smile on her face as all of the grandchildren chorused together, “We do!” Even baby Lucy got in on the act chortling and waving her fist.

Clark projected a thought, /It’s a good thing you’re super now. I think that in the future it’s going to take both of us to keep up with this brood of ours./

When Lois felt this communication she marveled at the depth of feeling and meaning that the telepathic communication could carry. If you were to compare telepathic communication to verbal it would be like comparing sixteen channel surround sound to an old Victoria playing a seventy-eight RPM record. The depths of feeling and love that carried over with the actual communication of the message always astounded her and she loved it and her ability to communicate with her husband in this fashion. She leaned her head down and placed her forehead against his and thought back, /Together we are stronger than we are separately and we will be together forever now./

comments for this story go here

The end

Before reading Volume 2 there are two other short stories you should read.

Hurricane - Matchmaker Chronicles Volume 1B

and

Summer Camp - Matchmaker Chronicles Volume 1C

Borrowed Time - Matchmaker Chronicles Volume 2 part 1

Last edited by KenJ; 04/30/14 02:08 AM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj