Just A Little Too Far TOC

Part 1

Part 2A - Fantasy Ending

Just a Little Too Far – Fantasy Epilogue

A year later…

Lois pulled her Jeep Cherokee up in front of their townhouse. She stepped out and went around to the sidewalk to open the passenger side backseat door. From inside the car, she took baby Jonathan Jordan Kent, or Jo-Jo for short, out in his car seat basket and his all encompassing diaper bag. Throwing the bag over her shoulder and balancing the baby car-seat on her hip, she was able to shut the door with a bump of her other hip.

As she turned them towards the townhouse, she heard a loud baby screaming. It wasn’t Jo-Jo, but her maternal instincts kicked into overdrive anyway as she took a look around for the upset baby. The street was empty. That was weird. Where was that baby?

Lois followed the sound of the baby crying until she came to an old, blue sedan parked down the street from her Cherokee. The crying baby was certainly coming from that car. She looked in the windows of the car, wondering if some deadbeat parent had accidentally left junior in the car when they had gone inside. The car was empty. She took another glance up and down the street. Still empty. Lois felt a chill creep down her spine as she moved closer to the trunk of the car. The screaming baby was softer now, but it was definitely coming from the trunk of the car.

She tried to open the sedan’s trunk but it was locked.

“Help! Super…! Damn!” Lois had forgotten that Clark was in Geneva this week meeting with world leaders. His hearing was good, but not that good.

Shifting the diaper bag in front of her, she reached inside for her cell phone. It’s impossible to find anything in this pit of despair, she thought as she dug around inside the bag. Binoculars. Camera. Baby wipes. Lighter. Magnifying glass. Rope. Diapers. Lock picks. Baby bottles. Cell phone. Finally! Lock picks!

Lois pulled both the cell phone and the lock picks out of the bag. She dialed 9-1-1 and propped the phone between her ear and her shoulder on the same side she was still holding Jo-Jo’s car-seat in the crook of her arm. With her hands now free she pulled out a couple of lock picks from their case and started in on the car’s trunk lock.

“Yes. I would like to report a baby locked in the trunk of a car,” Lois told the 9-1-1 operator and then told her name and address. “Of course not my baby!” She snorted in disgust. “Hold on.” Taking the cell phone from her shoulder/ear, she held it up to the trunk of the car so the 9-1-1 operator could hear it and then sandwiched her phone again to continue working. “Does that sound real enough for you?”

“Officers should be in your location momentarily,” replied the operator.

“Thanks!” Lois replied and hung up her phone. “Momentarily? Ha!” she grumbled. She handed the cell phone to Jo-Jo. She set her baby and the diaper bag down at her feet to concentrate on that stubborn lock.

The baby’s screaming was down to a soft whimpering whine now.

Less than a minute later, Lois had popped the lock. “At last.” She stuck her lock picks into her pocket as a patrol car pulled up beside her. Lois pushed the button to open the trunk. “It’s okay, sweetie. I’ll get you out,” she called gently to the baby. She opened the trunk and a blinding flash engulfed her, causing her to stumble backwards. Blinking her eyes to focus them again, she stepped forward and looked down into the trunk.

There was no baby. Instead she saw a tape recorder and a camera with the flash.

“Jimmy Olsen!” Lois screamed as loud as thunder as the officers walked up. She saw a figure at the end of the block dash out from behind a car and run off. She ground her teeth as she pressed her lips together. Her guess had been correct.

“You Lois Lane?” one of the officers asked.

Lois glanced at him with a roll of her eyes. “What? You new on the force?” she snapped before reaching down and picking up Jo-Jo and the diaper bag. “If you’ll excuse me, I have to call in a contract killing.”

“Excuse me?” said the surprised Officer.

She sighed. “Just a figure of speech, Officer.” She pointed to her house. “You need to interview me, I’ll be in there feeding my son.”

Lois took the cell phone away from her son and dialed Clark’s number. She was surprised that he picked up. “Clark, I need Superman to dangle Jimmy off a building for me. Preferably with two fingers.”

“Oh, no. What’d he do now?” she heard her husband ask.

She explained what had happened as she walked up the front stoop of their townhome. “So, do you think you can convince Superman to do me a favor. I wouldn’t mind much if he let go.”

“Sorry, Honey, I’m all tied up with these meetings, actually I’ve got to run. Superman has a meeting in about ten minutes. And, Honey, Superman doesn’t torture people,” he reminded her.

“Oh, I see how it is,” she groused at him. “He’ll dangle bad guys off buildings for information but not for me!”

“Jimmy’s not a bad guy, Lois. He’s just an idiot,” Clark clarified. “Tell you what, Lois. I’ll call a friend of mine and have him give Jimmy a stern talking to.”

Lois rolled her eyes. “Whatever,” she said, switching shut her phone and opening the door to her townhome.

That night…

From the radio tower on the top of the tallest building in Metropolis, Jimmy dangled from a zip-line upside-down rocking gently in the wind. A dark figure crouched nearby on the edge of the roof, ignoring him as he screamed.

“Please! Please! Batman, just tell me what it is that I did wrong,” Jimmy begged.

*** The End ***

Disclaimer: Inspired by the characters created by Jerry Siegel & Joe Shuster and portrayed on the Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman television series, developed for TV by Deborah Joy-LeVine. The character of Batman was created by Bob Kane and Bill Finger.

Comments

Last edited by VirginiaR; 05/12/14 01:33 AM. Reason: Fixed broken Links

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.