Here we go! Part 8. Father's Day stuff just about ready to go and DH is gone for several more hours so... smile .

Last time

"Is he a good kisser?" Martha whispered conspiratorially.

"Mo-om!" Lois said, indignant as she tried to sit up, glaring at her mom as she did.

"Is he?" her mom asked with a smirk.

Lois sighed. "Yes. And that's all it was. A kiss. That's it."

"You're both adults," the elder Kent said with a shrug.

"Regardless, it was just a kiss." Lois winced as she stood up. "He did say that his dad's going to be here later and will want a room. He also said he'll let me help him look for the Irigs and see if we can figure out what's going on."

"See? You should have kissed him sooner."

"He said that last night and well before I kissed him," Lois pointed out. "Or he kissed me. Or something."

Martha laughed. "Oh, honey, I'm just giving you a hard time. I'm sure between the two of you, you'll figure this out in no time."

"I hope so, Mom," Lois sighed. "I hope so."

*~*8*~*

"Thanks, Jimmy." Clark hung up the phone and ran a hand through his hair. He'd never woken up with a woman in his arms before and he'd never felt as close to losing the tight control he kept over himself at all times as he had when he kissed her.

Of course, he also wasn't... super at the moment and who knew if he ever would be again.

Maybe that was the reason he'd felt so close to willing to just lose control, lose himself in kissing her. To even kiss her back in the first place.

But he couldn’t afford that.

That Martha and Jonathan Kent knew his secret was bad enough.

A small town editor who – he was sure – was hoping for a big break in the big city someday was something else.

So what was he going to do?

He'd promised her that they'd work together and he wasn't about to go back on that. She was right – she *did* know the area and the people a lot better than he did. Besides, she wouldn't let him back out. He was certain of that.

And he *wasn't* super.

So she couldn’t accidentally see him do something he shouldn't be able to.

And unless someone had more of whatever it was that Jonathan Kent had accidentally exposed him to, he'd be fine.

A phone call home told him that his dad had somehow managed to get on a very early flight from Metropolis to Kansas City and that he was already on the road to Smallville. He'd be there in a couple hours. And he'd managed to avoid answering his mom's questions while still avoiding lying to her.

A glance at the clock showed that it was later than he'd realized and he really should get moving if he wanted to get anything done before his dad arrived.

He tested his powers – just to be sure – and he was right. He still didn't have any of them.

Not even a little bit.

He got dressed at normal human speed, because he had to.

He opened the door to his room just as Lois was coming out of the room across from his.

"So we're going to have to get moving if we're going to get anything done," she said, barely looking at him as they headed down the stairs.

So she wasn’t going to talk about it. That was okay with Clark – at least for now, until he could figure it all out in his head.

"Why don't you see what my mom's got for breakfast and I'll get changed?" She stopped at the bottom of the stairs and looked him up and down critically. "The boots will do, I guess, but I don't suppose you have any camouflage or anything? Like hunting clothes or something?"

Clark shook his head. "Nope. Sorry. This is about all I've got with me in the way of casual clothes."

Lois sighed. "Dad's clothes won't fit you. I'd get you some of Josh's but we can't get to his house – they'd probably fit though." She bit her bottom lip. "I bet Dan's clothes would fit you. He's a bit taller than you and maybe a bit heavier, but they'll work. I'll call him and we'll meet him somewhere."

"Why do I need camouflage?" he asked. "You didn't wear any yesterday."

"And do you know how close I came to being caught? Both of us? We're not risking that again, Lane. Either we get you some camos or I don't show you where to go." Her arms were crossed in front of her and Clark knew, somehow, that this was one time he shouldn't cross her.

He sighed, resigned. "Fine. I'm going to eat."

With that he headed to the kitchen to find Martha making a hearty country breakfast. He sat at the table and found a plate in front of him almost immediately.

Her hand came to rest on his shoulder. "How're you feeling?" she asked quietly. "I can't begin to tell you how sorry we are."

He shook his head. "There's no way you could have known. *I* didn't know. And I feel... fine. Just not... super. I was a bit weak last night still or..."

"You never would have fallen asleep with my daughter?" There was an amused grin on her face as she sat across from him.

"She told you?" He couldn't look her in the eye.

"Clark, honey, I'm a mom. I know these things."

"Right."

"You're both adults, Clark. And to be honest, it doesn't *really* surprise me."

"Her ankle gave out and I carried her in there. She started crying about Josh..." Clark shrugged. "We just dozed off."

"Well, you will have to marry her now, you know," Martha told him, a twinkle in her eye.

"Ah, I was informed that in Lowell County if you so much as sleep in the same bed with a girl you're already married," he answered, a twinkle in his own. "I think I'm going to like you, Mom."

She laughed. "That's Lois for you." She stood and went back to the stove, stirring the gravy before turning to look at him again. "Don't hurt her, Clark. She's been hurt enough."

He looked up again at that. "Excuse me?"

"She's been burned in the past. Don't hurt her."

"I won't," he promised, though he wasn't sure he saw a future where he could hurt Lois. Even though the kiss had been fantastic, he didn't see that happening.

"So you're really feeling better?" she asked again.

He nodded. "Yeah. I mentioned it to Lois last night but my dad's on his way. He's a doctor and..." His voice trailed off.

"Right. Lois mentioned he was coming."

Lois walked into the kitchen wearing a faded pair of camouflage pants and a jacket, her dark hair tucked under a dark green hat.

"Well, at least they won't find you, sweetheart, but you'll have to keep Clark here out of sight."

Lois shrugged as she opened the fridge and pulled out some bottles of water to put in her backpack. "We're stopping at Dan's to get him some clothes. They should fit okay." She glanced over at him. "You got a belt with you, Lane?"

He nodded.

"Good. Make sure you bring it." She tossed some granola bars in the pack as well. "Mom, do you know where the camelback is?"

"I'll get it." She left and returned a minute later, holding out to Lois.

Ten minutes later, they were ready to go. Martha held Lois tightly for a minute, then kissed her forehead. "Be careful, sweetie."

"We will be, Mom."

Martha turned to him before giving him a big hug as well. "Take care of her, Clark."

"I'll do my best, ma'am."

She pressed a kiss to his cheek. "Take care of you, too. I'm getting attached."

Clark chuckled lightly. "Yes, ma'am."

"Come on, Lane. Let's go!" Lois called from where she was standing by her truck.

A minute later, they took off down the drive.

TBC