Thanks to Nancy, Alisha and Beth smile .

Title still needed! =D

Last time:

She sighed and pulled her hand away from his. "You're the last boy scout, Clark."

"That's better than being a pig," he told her with a smile as they pulled back into the carriage stand. He climbed down ahead of her and offered her a hand to help her down.

She hesitated before taking it. He rested his hands on her waist once she was on the ground.

"I wish you'd let me prove you wrong," he said quietly.

"About what?"

He hesitated, deciding not to say anything.

Instead, with his heart in his throat, he kissed her.

Chapter 2

He took Lois by surprise.

He kissed her.

It was short, but tender. Sweet.

And he was a great kisser.

She could tell that even though the kiss was short enough that the carriage ride guys didn't even get annoyed.

"That doesn't prove anything," she said quietly as she moved back.

Why'd he have to go ruin what was shaping up to be a great day? They'd flirted a bit, he'd held her hand, he'd even put his arm around her in the carriage. She'd interrogated him and he'd gone along with it proving even before she agreed to go with him to be witty and a good conversationalist.

And he was a journalist.

Sort of.

A drifter and a journalist.

Two things that didn't go together and certainly didn't belong in her life.

She'd told him there was a guy at home that she was hoping would ask her out – and that was the truth. He was a colleague, a journalist, but he certainly wasn't a drifter. He was a well-respected reporter for the Daily Planet.

He was a way for her to pass the time while Molly had to work. He wasn't supposed to get into serious topics like did she have a boyfriend or get her to open up slightly about her cheating father and drunk mother, much less that Paul had cheated on her.

"Just don't push it, okay?" she finally said as they stood awkwardly on the sidewalk. "Let's just have fun this afternoon and not get into anything serious."

He hesitated slightly before nodding. "Okay. So we got you lunch, got your wallet, got you fudge ordered to be sent to your room, ate half our cookies, went on a carriage ride. Now what?"

"Ice cream," she told him, heading down the sidewalk. "I need ice cream." She did her best to stay a half step in front of him. She didn't need him to see the tears that had started to pool in her eyes.

Before he kissed her, before he started asking about whether there was anyone waiting for her at home, she was letting herself sort of imagine that she was here with him. That he was an attentive boyfriend whose only purpose for the day was to take her places that made her happy. No... NASCAR or woodworking shop or anything like that. Chocolate and ice cream stores. A bookstore. Bath and body shop of some kind.

Because he – the random, generic 'he' whose role Clark was playing – wanted to spend time together doing things that made her happy.

But then he had to go get all serious and ruin her little fantasy.

Even still... Her hand still tingled from where he'd held it. Her shoulder still burned where his arm had gone around her.

And her lips... She could still feel his lips on hers.

No guy had ever affected her like that before.

She stood at the counter in the ice cream shop and knew without looking that Clark was behind her – close but not too close. When it was her turn, she ordered a double scoop of Rocky Road and waiting for Clark to order his before paying for both.

She still hadn't looked at him or spoken to him directly since they left the carriage ride stand. She went back outside and sat at one of the tables.

He sat across from her. "I'm sorry," he said quietly. "I didn't mean to upset you and I shouldn't have kissed you."

She shrugged. "You're not the first guy to upset me or kiss me and I'm sure you won't be the last to do either."

"I'm still sorry."

"Thanks."

They ate their ice cream in silence. She didn't look at him or anything but the cup of ice cream in front of her.

"What about them?" he suddenly whispered conspiratorially.

"What?" she asked, finally looking at him.

He nodded across the street. "Them."

It was a young couple with a little boy, probably about three or so. He was throwing a fit.

She studied them for a moment. "I think they're here for someone's wedding and he would rather go swimming instead of going to a wedding."

"Maybe."

"What do you think?"

She glanced at him to see him slowly pull the spoon out of his mouth. "I think maybe they met several years ago. They were in Vegas or something and maybe got a little tipsy or something but had an amazing day and an amazing night together and then one of them freaked out the next morning and left before sharing contact details. She found out she was pregnant. They've both spent the last couple years trying to find each other and finally did. Now they're getting married and making a real family for their son."

"Is that what you see happening today?" she asked before she could stop herself.

"What?"

She didn't respond, but stirred the little bit of ice cream soup left in the bowl.

"Spending an amazing day and night together?" he finally asked.

She shrugged, but didn't speak.

He leaned closer and spoke softly. "It has been a very nice day so far, but the only way we'd end up spending an amazing night together tonight is if you manage to convince me to marry you sometime in the next couple hours. Otherwise, at some point, I'll take you back to your hotel and we'll say our good-byes and go our separate ways and we'll each be a nice memory and nothing more. Maybe we'll run into each other someday in the future and have a good laugh about the tour guide who knew nothing about the town but that's it."

She finally looked at him and saw nothing but sincerity on his face. "Okay then. Where are we going next?"

"There's a bookstore a couple doors down," he suggested. "I could use a new copy of 'To Kill a Mockingbird' and I still need to get my mom something for their anniversary so..."

"You get your parents something for their anniversary?" she asked a bit skeptically.

"Not every year – I mean, I get them a card and either take them out for dinner or make it or send a gift card if I can't make it home, but it's thirty years for them this year so they get special gifts – like a night at the hotel your friend works at, a feed store gift card for Dad and probably a book for Mom."

"A feed store gift card?"

He laughed. "It's not technically a gift card. I gave Chris Davis, the guy who runs the feed store, some money and told him to put it on Dad's account."

"And you trust him to do that?"

Clark shrugged. "I've known Chris for years. He and my mom dated in high school."

"Right. Small town living at its best."

"Something like that."

She suddenly realized that she felt a bit bereft at the loss of his hand in hers. He opened the door to the bookstore and held it for her, his hand leaving its imprint on her lower back as he gently guided her inside.

He went one way and she went another. She looked around carefully to make sure no one was watching her as she headed for the sappy romance section. If Clark asked, she was looking for mystery/suspense books. She pulled one Harlequin off the shelf and put it back, repeating the process multiple times.

She sighed. They were all the same. Formulaic stories. Maybe she'd try her hand at one.

'Wanda Detroit is my name. I sing for drinks down at the docks. But it wasn't always like this...'

'I taunted him with my smoldering smile. I knew Clark wanted me, but I didn't care.'

What?

Where did that come from?

She shoved another book back on the shelf.

"There you are." Clark's voice surprised her.

She turned around and grabbed a book from behind her. "Hi." She smiled at him. "Find what you were looking for?"

He held up a copy of 'To Kill a Mocking Bird' and an art book. "Got it. You?"

She held up the book she had in her hand. 'How to Get a Guy to Propose in Ten Days'. "I was looking for my sister," she said, shoving it back on the shelf and grabbing one from the next stack. She did her best imitation of a tomato as she realized it was a copy of the Kama Sutra.

She slid it on top of the other books and turned, walking quickly away from him. She loved books and bookstores but this wasn't worth it.

She headed out the front door and stood on the sidewalk, waiting for Clark to come out. "I need some lotion," she told him abruptly, walking down towards a store she'd noticed earlier.

She heard him sigh behind her. "You don't have to run," he said.

She slowed her pace and he fell in beside her.

"I'm not going to hurt you," he said quietly. "Or judge you for looking at corny romances. My mom reads them, too sometimes."

She sighed. "Okay."

He held the door for her again and followed her as she wandered around. She picked up assorted lotions or perfumes, sniffing them. She found one she liked and squirted it into her hand.

Clark was standing close behind her, close enough that she was well aware of his presence but not close enough to make her uncomfortable. "That smells nice," he said softly.

"I like it." She selected a lotion bottle and headed towards the counter at the back of the store. He followed closely behind her. She set the item on the counter, wrinkling her nose as another smell assaulted her senses. They really needed to take the trash out.

She noticed Clark's hand resting lightly on her waist. She could smell his cologne and something that must be uniquely him. She looked around. "This is a nice place."

"It is." His hands moved to her shoulders, gently kneading them with his thumbs.

Her eyes came to rest on a sun catcher in one of the windows. A combination of sparkling red and clear crystals of some kind, it really was very pretty, but...

She shook her head slightly, trying not to moan as Clark continued to massage her shoulders. She smiled at the blonde associate as she took the bag from the lady.

Clark left an arm around her as they exited the store and she purposely moved slightly closer to him.

What was coming over her?

He leaned over and whispered in her ear. "I'd like to kiss you again, but I don't want to make you uncomfortable."

She turned to face him. "You won't."

If she'd thought the other kiss was good, this one was amazing.

Drifter or not, this man knew how to kiss.

And if he knew how to kiss this well, who knew how well he... did other things?

She moaned slightly as he pulled her closer to him.

"Get a room!"

The voice startled both of them into pulling away. His forehead rested on hers as they both tried to catch their breath.

"That was incredible," he whispered.

"Makes me wish we had a room," she whispered back before she could stop herself.

"I told you, the only way we're having an amazing night together is if you convince me to marry you."

He looked disappointed by the idea that they might not have that amazing night.

"So marry me," she said suddenly.

"What?"

"Marry me," she said again. "I know my luck. We'll get separated. We won't see each other again for years and by then I'll be even more turned off to the idea of marriage. By the time we get around to it, something will keep us apart – aliens or clones or amnesia or psycho... psychiatrists or something. So marry me now and skip all of that."

"You mean it?"

Instead of answering him, she kissed him again.

"I'll take that as a yes," he breathed as she moved back.

"Where's the courthouse?"

An hour and a half later, they stumbled into their hotel room. Somehow, they managed to stay upright and she pressed him up against the door as they both managed to get their shoes and socks off.

She tugged his T-shirt out of his jeans, groaning at the first touch of her fingers on his skin. "You feel so good," she whispered, her hands gliding over his soft skin and around his back.

His lips trailed down her neck as he propelled her backwards into the room. His flannel shirt came off, followed by his T-shirt.

His hands grazed the small of her back as he tugged her shirt out of her jeans.

She felt her legs hit the bed and she fell backwards taking him with her.

She didn't know how much later it was because time seemed to stand still but she found herself lying with her head on his chest as he held her to his side after the most amazing experience of her life.

"That was..." he started.

"I know," she sighed. "The only thing I'd like more would be..." She sighed happily.

"More?" he asked.

She nodded against his chest.

He rolled so he was on his side, looking at her, brushing her hair off her face. He leaned down and kissed her softly. "Did I mention that I'm an alien and can do all kinds of cool stuff?"

She pulled back. "What?"

He nodded as he started kissing her neck. "My parents didn't find me on their doorstep. They found me in a space ship in the middle of the field."

How was she supposed to think when he was doing that to her neck?

"You look human," she said as she managed to pull one coherent thought together.

"Kryptonians and humans are very compatible," he told her, moving to cover her body more completely with his own.

"I'd say so, but what's a Kryptonian?"

He'd moved to the other side of her neck. "Me. I'm from Krypton and I can do all kinds of cool stuff."

"Like what?"

She suddenly had the sensation of floating.

"I can float and I can fly," he whispered, turning them so he was between her and the bed.

"Wow," she whispered, kissing him again. "That's so cool."

"I'm so glad you think so."

Before she knew it, she was next to him again, but this time holding a sheet around her on the ceiling and looking down at the bed. "Wow," she whispered again.

He floated them down to the bed, taking the sheet with them.

"As nice as this has been, I think I want to try out that Jacuzzi tub." She rolled away from him, pulling his flannel shirt on. She slipped her arms in the sleeves and buttoned a couple of the buttons, pulling her underwear on before heading towards the bathroom.

"Do you have any idea how sexy you look?" he called from the bed.

She blushed. "Thanks, I think."

She was walking into the bathroom when she heard a whooshing sound and he was behind her wrapping his arms around her. "You look incredible in my shirt." He kissed the base of her neck. "I never thought seeing a woman wearing my clothes would be so sexy."

"You've never seen a woman wear your clothes?" she asked, practically holding her breath.

"Well, my mom's borrowed some a few times, but that's so not the same thing."

She giggled. "I'd hope not." Did she really want to follow up on that? "So none of your ex-girlfriends..." Her voice trailed off.

"Nope."

"Not even after..." Why was she doing this to herself when they were having such an amazing night?

"There's never been an 'after' before," he told her, reaching down to turn the water on. "Do you want bubbles?"

There'd never been an 'after' before? Did that mean he'd been a vir... vir... very patient man to this point?

She pushed it out of her mind and undressed again, climbing into the tub with him.

Some time later, for the first time in her life, she fell asleep in the arms of a man, feeling safe and loved.

Lois woke up when the sun streamed through the window.

She wanted to stay in that netherworld – halfway between awake and asleep where the dreams she'd had since childhood were reality.

Where she was married to a handsome man – usually with brown hair, whose face she could never quite see but seemed to recognize this time.

A man who never cheated on her, who loved her unconditionally.

A man who supported her career ambitions and anything else she wanted to accomplish.

Then it hit her.

Where was she?

She could feel a solid presence near her and she carefully opened one eye. She was at a hotel. That much was obvious.

What had happened?

She wanted to groan and hold her head and cry because it hurt, but she couldn’t let herself – not with someone else in the room with her.

Who was it?

Given that she wasn't wearing any clothes, she was pretty sure *what* they had done.

Her shirt was on the nightstand and her bra was on the floor, but she didn't see her camisole. Her jeans were over by the bathroom. She held her shirt and bra to her and glanced at the man in the bed with her. All she could see was a shock of brown hair, but he hadn't moved.

She darted towards the bathroom trying to be as quiet as she could. She took her jeans with her and didn't quite shut the door in case the click would wake him up. She was glad her underwear was in the bathroom so she didn't have to search for them, too. There were a few suds still in the tub but the towels hadn't been used.

That was odd, but she didn't dwell on it, instead choosing to dress quickly and leaving the camisole behind. She left the bathroom, picking up her shoes and socks and leaving as quietly as she possibly could.

She sat in one of the chairs on the porch and looked around as she put her shoes and socks on.

Right.

Eureka Springs.

Molly.

But Molly had to work so they hadn't done anything together.

So what had she done instead?

Met a guy, obviously, but what else? Surely they hadn't come *straight* to this... bed and breakfast. Had they?

Had he drugged her?

That made sense since she didn't remember anything.

Didn't it?

That didn't... feel right for some reason.

She looked down as she tied her second shoe.

That was when she noticed it.

She stared at it.

Where had that come from?

Did it mean what she thought it meant?

And why couldn't she remember?

Her right hand reached for her left to touch the item reverently.

She didn't understand why, but there it was.

A wedding band.

She closed her eyes and tried to remember.

It was right there, just beyond her reach.

She hadn't been drugged. Or if she had, they both had been or something because even though she couldn’t remember who he was or anything else, she knew whatever she'd done, she'd done willingly. Or rather, he – whoever he was – hadn't forced her into anything.

Right then, though, all she needed was to get out. Get back to the hotel. Get home. Call a lawyer. Get a divorce.

She headed towards the road, hopped on the trolley and headed back towards the Crescent Hotel. She remembered riding the trolley the day before and... ice cream. A carriage maybe?

She got off the trolley and headed into the lobby hoping that Molly would be there with some kind of pain medicine.

"Lois!"

She winced. "Not so loud, Mols."

"Lo, what happened to you?" Molly put her arm around Lois and walked with her towards a chair.

"No, my room," she whispered.

They changed directions heading instead towards the elevator. "Do you have a hangover?"

She hesitated. "No, just a migraine," she insisted.

"So what happened?"

"I really don't want to talk about it right now." The dinging of the elevator as they reached her floor made her wince. "I just want to take some Advil and go back to sleep."

Molly helped her into her room. Molly dug a pair of pajamas out of Lois' suitcase and went into the bathroom to get some water while Lois changed.

Lois reached out to take the glass when Molly grabbed her hand. "What's this?" she asked. "A wedding ring?"

Lois winced. "Quieter please and yes."

"And your *husband* is where exactly?"

"Not now, please, Molly." Lois was near tears. "I need sleep."

Molly nodded. "Okay. We'll talk more later."

Lois nodded and crawled under the covers.

Before she knew it, she was asleep.

TBC