Next part on Thursday!

Thank you again Nancy (anonpip), Rel and Michael!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Both Sides of the Coin
Part 18

TOC

Back at the newsroom Lois had a police scanner turned on. An alert sounded and she turned it up. There was a jumper on the Lexor Hotel. <Clark?>

Perry stormed out of his office. “Lois, Clark!”

Lois stood and Clark rushed to her side. “On it!”

They headed for the elevator but Clark was frowning. <CJ?>

<Tied.>

<Right...> Clark veered off towards the stairs. <My turn, Lois.>

Lois shook her head as she called the elevator. <You’re lucky I know where you’re going, Kent...>

On the street Lois hailed a cab and was on her way.

<Oops...>

<Oops?>

<I... just poked a hole in the door of a stall in the men’s room...>

Lois’ eyes went wide and she tried not to laugh at the image in her mind.

<Good one, bro...>

<Clark... you two need to find a better way to change... what if someone sees ‘Superman’ coming out of a bathroom...>

<Good point...>

Lois arrived at the Lexor and watched for her hero to arrive.

<Lois?>

<Yeah? Where are you, Clark?>

<I’m... hovering above the building... this guy is... strange...>

<Strange? Well... he’s about to jump off...>

<He’s waving at the spectators and saying ‘Hey, what’s up?’>

<...and that doesn’t sound like your average suicide attempter.>

<He’s calm, relaxed... Even sounds vaguely sarcastic as he’s talking to the negotiator...>

<Well... this is weird Clark...>

The man began to waver. <He’s... dancing almost... I’m landing.> Clark descended and landed on the roof and placed a hand on the other man to secure him. Lois began to interview people around her, assuming the action was over.

<He... gave up... totally... thanks ‘S-man’ and ‘I see the light’...>

<Clark, this is really weird... I would almost say...>

<Wait, I hear a scream...> Superman sped away from the roof.

Lois grabbed a taxi and took off in the same direction. She had the taxi stop when she spotted a crowd a few blocks away. There she found Clark interviewing an officer. <Well?>

<She was... terrified... not suicidal... but terrified of the *height*>

<A woman who’s afraid of heights jumps off a building?>

<Lois... this was a straight shot... linear from point A to point B... It felt like...>

<A test... A speed test... What velocity and acceleration can Superman achieve...>

<Yeah, Jay...>

Lois joined Clark. “You get everything on this end?”

Clark nodded. “Yeah... you get the first site?”

Lois nodded. “So... let’s go phone it in...”

That evening Lois was dragging her sister out of a cab. “Come *on* Lucy...”

Lucy rolled her eyes. “I don’t see why I have to come help your boyfriend move into his apartment!”

They reached the stairs and Lois pulled out a key. Lucy grabbed her hand. “He gave you a key?!”

Lois smiled at her. “Yeah..., without a second thought...”

The door opened and Lois struggled to hide her shock. The walls were freshly painted, the floor was clean and polished... and everything looked in perfect repair.

Lucy shoved her in and looked around. “Wow... this is a nice place!”

Lois relaxed, laughter bubbling up. “Yeah... Clark got lucky...”

Lucy then frowned. “Where is he...?”

The door opened again behind them and CJ walked in carrying a box. Rachel followed with some pillows. Laying down his burden, CJ dropped a kiss on Rachel’s lips.

Lucy stared at the couple and then threw a cautious glance at her sister, waiting for an explosion.

Lois sighed, “CJ, where’s Clark?”

CJ grinned at her. “He’s finding a place to park...” <We loaded a truck up with his stuff from home...>

Lois rolled her eyes and then turned to Lucy. “Luce? I want you to meet CJ, Clark’s twin, and his wife Rachel.”

Rachel smiled. “Nice to meet you. CJ is parking me here before rushing off to the observatory.”

Lucy frowned. “Observatory?”

CJ smiled. “I teach Astronomy at Met. U.”

Lucy considered him. “Maybe I should go back to college after all...”

Lois glared at her. “Lucy...”

Both Rachel and CJ just laughed.

Rachel winked at Lucy. “You wouldn’t believe how often I had to field calls from undergrads with crushes when he was a TA... They considered him fair game while a professor seems, so far, to be a little less of a target...”

Lucy grinned at her. “Can you blame them?”

Rachel rolled her eyes. “For the crush? No... For following him home... sometimes literally? Yes...”

CJ rolled his eyes. “We were married by then, Sweetie. Anyway... I need to go...” He kissed her lightly again. “Remember: no lifting...”

Rachel shook her head as he left. “And I always thought *Clark* was the overprotective one...” She noticed Lucy’s confusion. “I’m about two months pregnant.”

As CJ opened the door to leave, he almost ran into Clark. The twins frowned at one another before CJ moved through the door, waving at them all. Clark walked in and placed another box on the floor. Once he noticed his guests, he walked over to Lois and gave her a quick hug before greeting Lucy and Rachel.

Rachel and Lucy smiled at the couple and then went off to explore the apartment. Clark took the opportunity to kiss his girlfriend hello. When they broke apart, he smiled. “Jimmy’s coming to help too, so I’m stealing a kiss while I can.”

Lois smiled up at him. “Thanks... I know you aren’t thrilled to be keeping ‘us’ toned down at work...”

Clark tucked a sreand of her hair behind her ear. “I want you to feel comfortable with ‘us’... If that means watching myself at work, it’s a small price to pay.”

Lois kissed him gently. “Thanks, Clark...”

Hours later Clark had all the essentials: bed, table, chairs, sofa, television... He and Lois were hanging up his clothes and sneaking a few kisses while Rachel rested on the couch and Jimmy and Lucy sat at the table, engrossed in conversation.

As she exited the closet Lois looked around. “Thanks for letting us help, Clark...” <I know you could have done this yourself much faster...>

Clark hugged her, “It was fun.”

They joined the others and Lois raised a brow at her sister and co-worker. <That... is unexpected... Lucy doesn’t usually open up to guys much...>

<You usually don’t either... But we sure clicked...>

Lois shook her head. <True, but...>

Clark just grinned at her as they joined Rachel. “You ok, Sis?”

Rachel smiled. “I’m fine, Clark... Just still getting tired easy... And before you ask, yes, that’s *normal*!”

Lois frowned. <Why the emphasis on normal?>

<CJ’s been really worried... With how we are... we have no idea what pregnancy really means for Rach...>

<Never considered that.>

<Neither did we until Rach got pregnant...>

“Hey, Clark... did CJ tell you what he and I talked about?”

“That, with the baby and all, you aren’t sure you want to go back into law enforcement?”

Rachel nodded. “I don’t want to be chasing crazies with guns here in the big city. It was different in Smallville. There’s never any big crime there... but here...”

Lois watched her. “So what do you want to do?”

Rachel sighed. “Well... I don’t want to be a housewife...”

Lois grinned. “I wouldn’t either...”

Clark ribbed her. “You would die of boredom in a week...”

Lois smacked his shoulder. “Watch it, Farmboy!”

Rachel chuckled. “Well... I would never have pegged Martha as a housewife either but...”

“But the farm is different... Mom may not have a paying job, but running the farm is a joint effort between her and Dad... And then there’s her classes...”

“True... But back to me... I need to figure out what *I* want. I know CJ will be happy as long as I’m happy and our baby’s happy...”

Clark nodded. “Yeah... CJ’s where he wants to be: teaching... You both need to make sure you’re happy here too, Rach...”

Rachel smiled. “I know, Clark, and CJ knows too...”

Clark ruffled her hair. “He better...”

“I was thinking... What if I was still involved in law enforcement... just not as a police officer? If I could use what I’ve learned in some other way besides being on the force... or even use my Bachelor’s as something besides a stepping stone... it’s important to know how our government works and I’ve always been good with kids...”

Lois frowned. “What are you thinking of doing then?”

Rachel shrugged, “Teaching maybe...”

Clark smiled. “A teacher... That sounds just like CJ when we were undergrads... ‘I don’t want to be stuck in a lab all day and do nothing else... I want to share the wonder of the universe with other people...’”

Rachel smiled. “Exactly, Clark... I assume you approve?”

Clark grinned at her. “I’m sure you’d be great, Rach. Go for it!” Clark pulled her into a hug. “But what kind of teacher?”

Rachel smiled. “I still need to think... And whatever choice I make I want to wait until our baby is born and a little older before I embark on a new career...”

Lois was frowning. “Rachel? I have another idea you might want to consider...”

Rachel considers her. “What Lois?”

“What about politics?”

Rachel’s eyes widened. “I don’t know... There are... issues with that...”

<Rachel wants me to tell you that she doesn’t think Superman or Charlie King would mix well with a political career...>

<Thanks, CJ... It was just a suggestion...>

<Don’t shoot the messenger, Lois...>

Lois rolled her eyes. “Your husband can be a jerk, Rachel...” she muttered.

Rachel began to laugh uncontrollably.

Lucy and Jimmy emerged from their private world. “What’s so funny?”

Clark grinned at them. “Just a joke at CJ’s expense...”

“I heard that,” came a voice from the door. CJ walked over to Rachel. “How are you, Sweetie?”

Rachel rolled her eyes. “I’m tired, but...”

CJ grinned. “Guess I should get you home then...” He wiggled his brows.

Lois smacked his shoulder, earning her a startled, “Hey!”

Rachel stood and winked at Lois. “Thanks, Lois!”

CJ looked warily between the two. “Double teaming, are we now?”

Rachel kissed him gently. “Anything goes in love and war...”

Clark chuckled. “So are you two heading out?”

CJ smiled. “Yep. Later!” He headed for the door.

Rachel hugged both Lois and Clark. “See you two later. Nice meet you, Lucy, Jimmy.”

Lucy and Jimmy moved over towards the couch as the couple left. “Um... Lois? I’m going to see Lucy home...”

Lois stared at her co-worker. “Oh... Um... Have fun you two...”

Lucy hugged her. “Thanks, Sis,” she whispered into her ear.

Finally alone with his girlfriend, Clark flopped down on his couch. “Now what?”

Lois grinned and sat in his lap. “Well..., I suddenly find myself alone with my boyfrie-” She was cut off by Clark’s lips.

The next day just after lunch Lois and Clark were working at her computer. Clark’s face was grim while Lois’ was her old indifferent mask. There had been two more ‘speed tests’: one answered by each of the twins. Clark had responded to a robbery just after seeing Lois home that was immediately followed by a suspicious attempted rape. At midmorning, CJ had caught a worker who fell from construction site only to hear a scream from an armed mugging. These tests, though less obvious than the two suicides, were still suspicious in their timing and their outward circumstances. None of the victims had seemed particularly affected by their experiences and the offenders surrendered easily to the hero once he arrived.

A throat cleared behind them and they turned to find Lucy. “Hi, Lois... I, um... brought you two lunch, since you had to cancel on me...”

Lois smiled. “Thanks, Luce... Jimmy’s supposed to get back in a few minutes...”

Lucy blushed. “Am I that obvious?”

Lois took her hand and squeezed it. “Only to me, Luce... Only to me.”

Lucy looked at Clark nervously.

He smiled and grabbed his and Lois’ coffee cups. “I’ll get us some fresh coffee, Lois.”

Lucy took his seat. “Lois... I have an interview this afternoon...”

Lois’ eyes widened. “Lucy... that’s great! Where...?”

Lucy smiled. “In CJ’s lab... Rachel suggested it last night... he needs someone to basically be his secretary...”

Lois hugged her. “That sounds perfect Luce!” <Thanks, CJ.>

<For?>

<Lucy...>

<Oh... Thank Rach... It was her idea...>

Lucy was suddenly distracted.

Lois followed her gaze and saw Jimmy. “Good luck, Luce... With the interview *and* with Jimmy...”

Lucy turned back to her. “Thanks, Sis...” She quickly moved to catch Jimmy.

A man approached Lois. “Excuse me... my name is Cleveland... I’m looking for Eduardo Friez...”

Lois looked towards said colleague’s desk. “He’s out to lunch... Can I help you or take a message? I’m Lois Lane...” She held out her hand.

“Lois Lane? One of the reporters who talked to Superman?”

Lois frowned. “Yes... Clark Kent, my partner, is here too...”

As she finished Clark returned, placing a fresh cup of coffee on her desk. He smiled at the man. “Hello, I’m Clark Kent.”

Cleveland eyed them both. “Well... since Friez hasn’t kept our appointment maybe *you* two will be interested in my story... I have information concerning Superman!”

Lois looked at Clark. <What do you think?>

<If he’s talking to *me,* he can’t know anything damaging... Your call...>

Lois eyed the man. “Sure... What have you got?”

They led him to the conference room and all sat down.

The man looked at the reporters intently. “Superman is definitely an alien entity. He comes from the planet Trofax...”

<Okay... he’s a nut...>

<Yeah...>

They let the man ramble on about freeze-dried mercenaries but decided to cut him off when he mentioned his “presidencies”.

The man left in a huff.

Clark eyed Lois. “Well..., we can tell Friez that a ‘President Cleveland’ was looking for him...”

Lois giggled. “Yeah... I’m going to get back to our story...”

Clark nodded. “I’m going to grab a donut...”

Lois rolled her eyes. “You and your black hole...” she shook her head and returned to her desk.

Clark laughed, snagged a donut and noticed Jimmy walking around with an odd machine. He approached his younger friend. “What is that, Jimmy?”

Jimmy sighed. “Hey, CK... Big assignment from the chief: Mr. Foot..., a vibrating water massage... stress relief... needs it back by five.”

Clark placed a bracing hand on his shoulder. “You should talk to him... tell him how you feel...”

Jimmy sighed. “Perry White doesn’t care how I feel... To him... I’m Mr. Fix-it and Mr. Go-get-it... Not a journalist.”

Clark smiled at him. “Jimmy... you have to *show* him... Mr. White is a person who respects people only for what they *do.* Remember when he hired me? He turned me down flat only one day before. But the next day I brought him that piece on the old theater... and I got hired. Just over a week later? I’m *Lois Lane*’s partner... Just show him what you can do...”

Jimmy looked at him. “Thanks, CK... I’ll try.”

<Nice work, Clark...>

<Thanks, Lois.>

Clark clapped Jimmy on the shoulder and headed for Lois’ desk. Halfway there he heard sirens. <Jay?>

<On it, Clark!>

Perry exploded from his office. “Lois! Clark!”

Lois stood. “Here, Chief!” She walked over to stand beside Clark.

“Good. Bomb in the Carlin Building on Third and Ordway... Grab a photographer and get over there!”

Jimmy moved forward. “I’ll go.”

Perry turned to him. “Mr. Foot fixed yet?”

Jimmy shrank for a second. Then a determined look crossed his face. “I can get the shots you need, Chief!”

To Jimmy’s surprise, Perry grinned. “Ok! Get on you three!”

Lois, Clark and Jimmy headed for the elevators. Once inside Clark grinned. “Told ya, Jimmy...”

Lois raised a brow in fake confusion. “Told him what?”

Jimmy smiled. “Nothing...”

tbc...

Last edited by LabRat; 05/11/14 08:13 AM.

Sara "Lieta"