I decided to post this a little early, next week may end up being crazy for me... so... here it goes... I'll have to see when 13 will be posted.

Thank you again Nancy (anonpip) and Rel

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Both Sides of the Coin
Part 12

TOC

Clark smiled across the table. Lois rolled her eyes at him. They were having a staff meeting at the Planet. Perry was finished with the two of them and was now hammering out assignments with some of his other reporters.

He and Lois had a date as soon as they were off work.

Clark’s smile refused to fade. He had never been this excited about anything before... even his interview and acceptance at the Planet paled as he thought ahead to his first real date with Lois Lane. His most serious girlfriend had been Lana... and she hadn’t counted really. Lana had been ecstatic to date him... the football star and the cheerleader. She had never cared for more than that... just that they were an established couple.

And, at the time, that had been perfect. He hadn’t wanted a real relationship... he had felt that he had too much going on with his developing powers. Rachel was different... she had helped them learn... timing races... helping them get buckets of water to practice heat vision on... but once his twin and best friend started dating Clark had felt like the third wheel with them... so he had turned to Lana.

By the time Lana had dumped him he had no longer felt the need to have a girlfriend like his twin did. He hadn’t dated in college... not that there hadn’t been offers... he just hadn’t wanted to date any of the women he had met. It had been the same after college. The closest thing he had had to a date was when he spent the evening with a teenage princess who loved to waltz.

But now he had met Lois.

Clark’s smile widened, he couldn’t wait to get out of here.

When the meeting finally broke up Clark rose quickly only to find himself cornered by Cat, “Clark... how would you like to come to my place tonight?”

Clark’s eyes went wide, “I... uh... have plans, Cat...”

Cat pouted as Clark fled.

An hour later Clark knocked on Lois’ door.

The door opened to reveal Lucy, “Hi Clark... Lois isn’t quite ready yet...” she motioned him inside.

Clark smiled at her, “That’s fine... how are you, Lucy?”

Lucy grimaced, “I’m ok... I got turned down for another job though...”

“You’ll find something Luce,” Lois emerged in a simple black dress and she was still fitting an earring. She reached Lucy and hugged her sister before turning to Clark. “You ready to go, farmboy?”

Clark smiled as he took her in, “Yes... you look beautiful, Lois...”

Lucy faked gagging noises, which earned her a swat from her sister before she and Clark left for their date.

Dinner was wonderful... their conversation had been a little stilted at first but Lois started to quiz Clark on his travels. By the time they returned to Lois’ apartment Lucy was already asleep.

Clark watched Lois fix coffee with a small smile. Lois looked back at him, “You’re the only guy I know who I can invite in for a cup of coffee... and not have to explain that that’s all...”

Clark sighed, “I know a lot of guys are like that Lois... but I’m not...”

Lois set down two mugs before stepping close to lean against him, “I know, Clark... that was an observation...”

Clark hugged her lightly, “Whatever this is, Lois... it’s too precious for me to chance by going too fast...”

Lois pulled back slightly then moved in and pressed a light kiss on his lips. “Some might say we’ve already jumped in without checking the water level...”

Clark chuckled and ran a hand over her cheek. He then leaned his forehead against hers.

They stayed like that for a long moment before Clark pulled back and they returned to their coffee. When it was gone Clark caressed Lois’ cheek. “It’s late... I’ll see you tomorrow, Lois...”

Lois smiled and kissed him again, “See you tomorrow, Clark...”

Hours after Clark had left Lois Lane rubbed her forehead as she took another look at the front page of the Daily Planet. The photo of “Superman” took up most of the page. She shook her head slowly. She didn’t know what to do with what she knew.

Taking a deep breath she went through her facts again.

First was the Orchid Ball. At one point she had glanced over Lex’s shoulder to give her date an apologetic glance... only to miss half of what Lex had been saying as she realized Clark appeared to be several inches taller than his *twin.* She had been almost relieved when Clark had cut in on her dance... she had let Lex... *Luthor* get far too familiar in her shock... not that Clark needed to know that.

And then she had seen that sword being held at his throat. That had scared her... and the fact that she had been scared to see a man she had known for such a short time in danger terrified her. But Clark had seemed unconcerned... and seeing ‘Superman’ swallow a bomb it was no wonder...

And that had just been at the ball.

Next, she *knew* Clark had saved that man in the sewer... but it was only after she had seen his twin lift the space shuttle into the air that she had understood how.

That night there was the Chinese food... he had gotten back far too quickly... she knew her take out places and not only was that food not from the closest place, but he had returned too quickly to even have gone there. She smirked to herself. The fortune cookie had even been in Chinese. But then... if *she* could fly she wouldn’t have settled for an American imitation either...

The next morning she had seen for herself one version of the body behind the tights that all the women in the office were swooning over. She smirked again. And the new superstar idol wanted to date *her*! Well... the one who wasn’t married anyway. And that might explain the large amount of unhealthy food in the house... how did Rachel Kent stand it? And she had seen Clark without his glasses...

She thought of her joke of an interview with Luthor... she couldn’t have picked better back up. She frowned suddenly, Clark had zoned out an awful lot during that dinner... and how *had* CJ known to come to the shuttle... maybe they were more than just flying strong-men...

Next had been the warehouse... Clark didn’t know that she had seen the broken padlock he had left behind as they escaped. And the look on his face when the warehouse had gone up in flames...

She sobered as she remembered finding Platt. The look on Clark’s face had tugged at her heart. And come to think of it... she had seen the same look after the shuttle explosion. And that more than anything was amazing to her. A man who could fly, eat bombs and lift a shuttle into orbit was wracked with guilt over not saving the lives of two men when he couldn’t possibly have done anything to save them.

She figured that explained ‘Superman’...

But what should she do with the information?

A week ago she would have written the story without a second thought. But obviously the twins didn’t want this to go public... otherwise they wouldn’t have created this single public persona and they probably would have gone public much sooner. A quick search revealed scientific articles from Dr. Charles Kent for years... and there was Jonathan and Martha Kent of Smallville, Kansas.

She tapped a finger against her table. Why? Why would they hide...

She frowned, there was no way Clark could be a reporter... the fame would kill his career. The same was probably true of CJ... though the scientist might have an easier time of it than the reporter.

Then she thought of Rachel... how would the world view the wife of an alien... if that’s what CJ and Clark were...

Lois bit her lip. Many would probably scorn Rachel... and the Kents as well.

And then there were men like the ones CJ had stopped this morning... several of them had rained curses down on the hero’s head. What would they do if they knew he had a wife?

Lois hugged herself... that was a scary thought.

And then there was Clark himself. Almost effortlessly he had managed to slip through all her defenses...

She didn’t want to give him up... she had to see where whatever this was between them would lead...

And that meant there was no choice. If she wanted her chance with Clark she had to help him keep his secret.

But she really wished she had a photo of Clark’s face when he had first seen CJ on the shuttle... she guessed he had been left out of the costume design process...

And that reminded her... she would need to have a talk with the twins about how much they gave themselves away when they were together... once she figured out how to let Clark know that she knew...

Lois sighed and walked to her fridge, grabbing a carton of chocolate ice cream to mourn her lost Pulitzer.

Jonathan Kent watched his TV.

He heard the gentle whirr of his wife’s sewing machine from upstairs, ‘Well... it’s quieter then the welding...’ he grinned to himself. He cast a look at her latest creation. He had no idea what it was... but it made her happy to make it. And he loved all of Martha’s wild ideas and eccentric interests.

A newsreel showed more footage of ‘Superman’.

Jonathan frowned, ‘I hope this doesn’t blow up in our faces... like CJ’s stunt almost did...’

Upstairs Martha Kent sighed and rubbed her eyes. This was the tenth ‘suit’ she had made... this would make five for each twin. She figured that was a good start... who knew how fast they might need to be replaced.

She wished Clark had been here with CJ when they were designing the uniform... it was so obvious to her that CJ was going along with this idea for his brother.

And since he still felt guilty about that fiasco... he would never admit his reservations to his own twin.

At the same time though, she and Rachel had had a nice chat after CJ had raced towards the shuttle. She smiled, she couldn’t wait to meet Lois Lane.

Clark was seated at his computer, typing away on a story. A hand on his shoulder caused him to look up. Lois was reading over his shoulder, “This is good, Clark...”

He smiled, “Thanks...”

“I mean it... you really have some insight on this...” her eyes pinned him.

Clark sighed, “Well... I’m adopted...” Lois’ eyes widened, “...don’t get me wrong... my parents are great... but...”

“But it’s the not knowing that kills you...” she read off his screen and squeezed his shoulder.

Clark captured her hand and returned the pressure. “My parents really are fantastic... and I have CJ...”

Uniformed men suddenly exploded into the room, Lois whirled, eyes wide and Clark rose to his feet. The men wore black suits and quickly fanned out into the room.

One man in a grey suit stalked to the front of the group, holding up a stack of papers, “I have a warrant here from the Federal Court.”

Clark frowned, <...Jay...>

<What?>

<There are federal agents here...>

<What?!>

Clark watched carefully as the agents quickly blocked off all routes of escape. <Can you see them?>

<...Yeah... want some ‘Super’ help?>

<Not yet...>

The leader moved onto the ramp. He had a commanding stance and he seemed to take in everything as his eyes swept the room. “Everyone! Step away from your desks!”

Perry stormed out of his office, “What in the name of Elvis is going on here? Nobody comes bursting into my newsroom...”

The leader cut him off by handing him the warrant. “Send your complaints to Washington.”

Perry frowned at the document, muttering aloud as he read, “Order to produce evidence... compel testimony about Superman...” his head snapped up, “...from Lois Lane and Clark Kent?!”

Lois tensed beside Clark.

<Did you hear that?>

<...yeah... Clark... about this whole Superman thing...>

One of the black suited agents found Lois’ nameplate and began to rifle through her desk.

Lois ran over to the agent, “Stop!” she grabbed onto him, intent on protecting her territory. Two other agents came up behind her and restrained her. “Get your hands off me!”

Clark grabbed one agent by the shoulder only to find himself looking into a gun.

<...Clark!>

<...yeah...>

<...that was... smart...>

The leader’s voice cut in, “Put it away!” he smirked, “he’s just a reporter.”

Freed, Lois snarled at him, “Right... *reporter* as in the first amendment...”

Clark focused on the man in front of him, his eyes held an odd light. <He reminds me of Luthor...>

<...how so?>

<You didn’t see Luthor when he was stalking Lois over dinner... his eyes looked like that...>

<Creepy...>

The man moved closer to them, “Impressive document... the constitution... it gives the courts the authority to issue warnings like this...” he grabbed the warrant from Perry, “...which says I get what I want...”

<You know... I always hated Dad’s frog thing... but maybe he had a point...>

<...you *had* to say that, didn’t you?>

Clark stepped forward challengingly, “What *exactly* is that?”

<Back off, Cal...>

The leader considered him, “Mr. Kent, I presume? I’m *very* interested in you...” Clark’s eyes widened slightly.

<See?!>

<Shut up, Jay...>

“You’re a lowly reporter... but I know all about a certain Mr. King...”

<Holy...>

<Wait... does he think that’s you or me?>

<Does it matter?>

<Yes, Jay... it does...>

“...but for the moment... I want *Superman*...”

<Um... should I be more or less worried?>

<Uh... let me think on that...>

“And I’m not leaving until you tell me where I can find him...”

<I think I’ll worry more now...>

<You do that...>

Perry stepped in and directed Lois and Clark into his office, staying behind to negotiate with the intruders.

In the office Lois slammed the door and watched the outside intently, “I wonder what they would do if Superman decided to show up?” she looked at Clark out of the corner of her eye to see his reaction.

Clark raised a brow, “Well.... I don’t know about you... but I’d like to avoid giving them what they want...”

That caused Lois to turn and award him with a smile, “I agree... so... since we have some time... anything new on your end with Luthor?”

Clark chuckled, “Always the story, Lois?”

She swatted him, “I’m serious...”

Clark sobered, “I know... there were a few things I forgot to bring up what with Prometheus and Superman...”

“Like...?”

“Something Dr. Baines said when we were tied up... ‘seize the high ground’... she sounded like she was quoting someone...”

Lois frowned, “That is similar to what Luthor said to you in his office... but... it’s really circumstantial...”

“I know... it’s not proof by any means... but it’s one more mark against him...”

“He certainly would have made a huge profit if... *profit*... geeze... he also would be one of the few people able to pay Dr. Baines enough to sabotage her own program...”

“Good point... but if he’s dirty...”

<And we know he is...>

<But she doesn’t, Jay...>

“...then he’s incredibly deft at covering his tracks...”

Lois frowned again but Perry entered the office and interrupted their conversation.

tbc... peep

Last edited by LabRat; 05/11/14 08:15 AM.

Sara "Lieta"