Next post will be the *27th* of December....I'm going to be helping out getting ready for X-mas and Rel will actually be in Texas so I'll be tied up quite a bit...

And great minds think alike... Rel and I both had the same reaction to the striped suit in the Pilot... And if anyone needs a refresher on the suits in question here it is on youtube at about 2 min. in.

Thank you again Nancy (anonpip) and Rel

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Both Sides of the Coin
Part 9

CJ paced back and forth across the room. Clark had only been home long enough to sleep for a couple hours before heading back to the Planet. They were due in Smallville in only a few hours.

Rachel watched her husband for a long moment, “CJ... if this whole... costume thing is making you this nervous...”

CJ stopped and looked at his wife, “I’m... not really sure about it, Rach... but Clark needs this...”

Rachel moved to him and wrapped her arms around him, “But Clark won’t force you to take part in it...”

CJ shook his head, “No... if I don’t support him in this he’ll just drop it... and he’ll do something that will force him to leave again...”

Rachel sighed, “CJ... you have to be really okay with this... otherwise there’s no point in trying...”

CJ kissed her cheek, “I know... and to be able to openly use my abilities would be amazing... I just...” he blew out a huge sigh, “Clark’s been all over the world, rescuing people wherever he went... he knows how to handle it... I don’t...”

Rachel cupped his cheek, “You’ve always hated being different...”

CJ nodded slowly, “Clark’s more like Mom and Dad... he just accepts everything we can do... I want to analyze it... and it drives me crazy that I can’t... I mean I can *fly,* Rachel... how many laws of physics does that break?”

Rachel shook her head as she considered her husband. She remembered the first time she realized how much her best friends were different. They had all been ten when both twins had suddenly withdrawn from their friends, her included. She had decided to find out what was wrong and set out for the Kent farm on her bike. She had found CJ up in a tree. That had surprised her because it wasn’t something he usually did... Clark was more likely to explore things while CJ would read or dismantle something. She had rushed towards him, demanding that he talk to her.

She had startled him out of the tree.

She had been terrified for him when he hit the ground and had run as fast as she could towards him. To her shock he had merely stood up and brushed himself off as he yelled at her for surprising him. Her brother, Randy, had fallen off a horse the year before and gotten a broken arm for his trouble... yet here CJ had been, unharmed after falling from a far higher perch. When she had asked him how that had happened he had shouted at her to mind her own business before running off. Clark had been the one to explain things to her the next day.

Rachel nuzzled into her husband as they enjoyed their loose embrace. She was married to a man who had been found in a space ship and could do all sorts of phenomenal things... and CJ had never really accepted that part of himself. Clark found his gifts a double-edged sword of blessing and curse... CJ actively disliked being reminded of what he called his ‘abnormalities.’

She knew that deep down CJ was terrified of being identified... on his own he would never have wanted to act in public... she had a hard enough time getting him to overcome his discomfort in their own home... unless he was amorous.

Rachel pulled back from their embrace, “CJ... you need to talk to Clark before you commit to this...”

CJ shook his head, “No, Rach...”

Rachel sighed softly... she knew when her stubborn husband was done discussing something, “Well... we need to get ready to head for Smallville soon then...” she paused, “Do you want to say anything about...”

CJ pulled close for a quick kiss, “No... let’s keep our news to ourselves for a little while... you have that appointment next week...”

Rachel nodded, “Are you sure you don’t want to do a home test?”

CJ grinned at her, “Sweetie, I think my ears are at least as good as a home pregnancy test...”

Rachel poked his chest, “Don’t get full of yourself, Charles Kent!”

Clark walked into the newsroom the next afternoon with a yawn tugging at his mouth. His morning had been spent writing up the night’s events for the evening edition. Inside the room he halted to take in the unexpected view. The pit was boiling in celebration.

“Clark!” he turned to see Lois rushing towards him with a blue party hat on her head. Once Lois reached him she grabbed his arm and dragged him down the ramp. People shouted congratulations to the duo as Lois positioned them at her desk. Clark grinned at her before leaning back on the desk. Jimmy rushed forward and hugged them both, “Thanks you guys!” he flew off again.

Clark had a slightly stunned look on his face, “What was that about?”

Lois smiled and commandeered a copy of the day’s paper, she handed it to Clark, pointing out the front-page headline:

----
MESSENGER SABOTAGED, SABOTEUR DIES IN FIERY EXPLOSION
By Lois Lane and Clark Kent, contributing reporter: James Olsen.
----

Clark’s eyes widened as he whispered, “By Lois Lane *and* Clark Kent? Lois... you were the one driving this whole...”

She shushed him, “But I wouldn’t have if you hadn’t been annoying me into it, Farmboy...”

Clark chuckled, shaking his head, “...and I can see why Jimmy’s over the moon...”

Lois smiled, “He deserves it.”

Clark looped an arm over her shoulder, “Yeah...” his voice dropped, “You ok?”

Lois met his eyes and smiled tentatively, “Yeah... I am... thanks, Clark.”

A throat clearing behind them made the couple jump apart. Perry was eying them speculatively. “Lois...” he drawled, “I just spoke to ground control at EPRAD. They checked the launch vehicle and found the same coolant problem... and fixed it.” Both Lois and Clark lit up at the news. Then Perry turned stern, “But... it’s a no-go for you, Lois... no reporters allowed.”

<Mom’s sewing machine is primed, Clark...>

<...this should be... fun... I’m almost through here...>

Lois began to protest, “But... Chief... imagine the exclusive I could get...”

Perry cut her off, “There’s nothing I can do, Lois,”

Lois pouted while Clark suddenly watched her closely, “Oh... well... another time... I guess...”

<Uh oh, Jay... I think Lois is planning something...>

<Good for her... when will you be here?>

Perry turned to Clark, “And Platt’s widow and daughter were reinstated as colonists.”

Clark grined, “That’s great news.”

Perry nodded and moved on.

As soon as he was gone Lois grabbed Clark’s arm and dragged him off.

<Umm... you have plans Clark?>

<Oh boy...>

CJ stared at the mirror in front of him in horror, trying to ignore his wife’s attempts to stifle her giggles. <...this is humiliating... you are a dead man Cal...>

Clark was ‘shadowing’ him, whatever he could see Clark could see. <...yeah...>

CJ half turned and grimaced at the outfit. Leopard print covered his torso and green coated his legs. Even worse in his eyes were the brown speedo and brown metal studded cuffs. <...does it have to be so *tight*?>

He could *feel* his twin choke back laughter... he was going to find a way to hurt him... <...they *are* tights...>

He considered the length of metal studded leather his mother had given him, wondering what he was supposed to do with it, <...and leopard print...>

Clark’s silent laughter echoed in his head, <...yeah... like... Cat...>

CJ turned a pained expression to his mother, silently pleading for the torture to end, <...yeah... this one is out...>

Martha just beamed at him, “Here’s the next one sweetie...”

CJ sighed, “...thanks Mom...”

He emerged in a green costume with blue sleeves and a yellow circle in the center of his chest. He took one look at the green mask and blue hat with tiny wings his mother held and folded his arms across his chest, “No way... I’m not Mercury...”

Martha just sighed and handed him another outfit.

CJ stretched it out and frowned. It was wine red with a dark orange stripe across his torso and another speedo. What bothered him the most was the hooded mask. “Mom... I’m not sure about a mask...”

Martha frowned, “Sweetie... you can’t be recognized...”

Rachel agreed, “Martha... all that mask would make me want to do is find out what he’s hiding... like a bank robber or burglar wearing a mask to do their crimes...”

“Or a rabid reporter...” CJ muttered.

<At least I can help spin the press, Jay...>

<Until you’re *here* wearing your own tights I don’t want to hear any more from you...>

Martha shook her head, “Well ok... I only have two more made up so far...” she handed him another suit.

CJ looked it over and saw that it was only a body suit so he headed for the bathroom to change. A few moments later he emerged and looked in the mirror. This suit was a shiny blue body suit with a red speedo, a blue belt with a red buckle. CJ stared in open horror at a series of stripes surrounding his torso. “Mom... it looks like I’m wearing a corset or something...”

Rachel dissolved into helpless laughter while Martha valiantly bit her lip. “I guess that one’s out, huh?”

CJ nodded grimly, <...how was this supposed to work again? One more flop and I’m done, Cal...>

<Well, Jay...>

A sharp whack on his shoulder knocked Clark out of his trance, “Clark...” Lois whispered urgently, “It’s time to move...”

“How did I let you talk me in to this...”

<I was wondering the same thing... I’m the one parading around in *tights* while you’re sneaking onto a government base... breaking all kinds of laws...>

Clark sighed to himself. CJ was probably already planning some kind of revenge.

Lois and Clark were dressed as EPRAD personnel, they headed for the entrance of the transport, heads down. Once inside they quickly ducked into a room to the side. Clark stood there while Lois found places for them to strap in. “Clark...” she motioned him towards the “seat”.

He sighed and moved over, only to freeze as he heard a beep behind him. He whirled to see a newly armed bomb begin to count down, “Lois! It... it’s a bomb!”

Lois rushed over to the door while he stared intently at the bomb, scanning its makeup. Lois yelled for help, but there was no one to hear. She returned as the thrusters lit and ripped a panel off the wall. Clark’s gaze was unfocused as he considered his options. The sound of abused electronics snapped him back. “Lois... what?”

“I had to stop the launch, Clark...”

Alarms went off as the thrusters powered down.

“...I think you managed that...”

They both stared at the bomb, watching the countdown “25... 24... 23...” Clark took a deep breath and reached for the device.

A movement stopped him as a new figure rushed in. Clark’s jaw dropped, <*That’s* what you settled on?!>

<Mom said no one... would look at our faces...>

CJ grabbed the bomb, pulling off the top.

“Hey! Stop! Are you trying to kill us?!” Lois lunged for him.

<What should I do, Clark...>

<Umm... contain the explosion?>

<...how...?>

<...swallow it?>

<...you’re... you owe me Clark Jerome Kent...>

<Just do it... Charles Joseph Kent!>

CJ popped the explosive into his mouth in time to shrieks of protest from Lois. She was silenced as a muffled explosion sounded within him. CJ covered his mouth as he let forth a slightly smoky belch. <...I’m going to kill you for that one Clark...>

Clark was stifling laughter, <Jay... that was *classic*...>

<Yeah, yeah, Cal, laugh it up...>

CJ raised his brows at his twin and the gaping Lois, “Um... excuse me.”

<Where’d the ‘S’ thing come from?>

<...it was in the ship Mom and Dad found us in...>

Lois backed into Clark, “What... what *are* you?”

<I’m your new boyfriend’s twin...>

<...can it, Jay.>

CJ smiled broadly at Lois before exiting the room without answering.

She turned wide eyes to Clark and they followed.

The colonists were filing towards the exit but stopped as they view the unusually dressed man in front of them. They evaluated him, obviously wondering if he... or the two extra “colonists” behind him, had something to do with the abort...

“Th... There was... a bomb...” Clark stammered.

Lois pointed at CJ, “He... he... he... *ate* it...”

CJ scanned the crowd around him before dropping down in front of young Amy Platt, “Hi.”

She smiled hesitantly, “Hi... I like your costume...”

CJ grinned at her, “Thanks... my mother made it for me... what’s your name?”

Lois’ eyes narrowed as she felt Clark shake slightly. She snuck a peak at him and realized he was trying to hold back laughter.

<*Great* line Jay...>

<Watch it *farmboy*!>

<Only Lois can call me that!>

<You wish...>

Amy returned CJ’s smile, “I’m Amy... Amy Platt... who’re you?”

<Uhhh....>

<yeah....>

“I’m... a friend...”

<...lame.>

<I don’t see you up here, Cal!>

“I saw you from the window... can you really fly?”

CJ smiled and lifted off the floor, dropping his feet in midair so he could stand. “Yes... I can...”

<...that felt *good*...>

<I’ll bet...>

Amy’s eyes lit up, “Can you teach me?”

CJ’s mouth turned down, “I... not to fly...”

Clark moved forward, capturing the girl’s attention, “...but...” he motioned around him, “...once this lab is operational... you can learn to walk... that’s *very* possible...”

Lois linked her hand with his, smiling.

A loud speaker came to life, “Attention, colonists. The mission has been scrubbed. Prepare to disembark.”

One colonist sighed in defeat, “That’s it then... it’s over...”

Lois turned to him, “Why?”

Mrs. Platt answered, “Once the thrusters have been fired... they need to be replaced...” her voice dropped, “...it’ll take too long...”

The other colonist nodded, “We’ll loose our launch window... this is the end of Prometheus...”

<And Luthor wins...>

<We have to talk about your Luthor thing...>

<Yeah... we do... but in the meantime...>

<Huh...?>

<Why don’t you give them a *hand*.>

<What?! Oh... right...>

“No... it’s not.” Everyone stared at CJ. “There’s nothing structurally wrong with the transport, the habitation module or the space station itself, correct?” Several people nodded, “You just need a propulsion source...”

Lois was looking at him oddly.

Clark groaned silently, <speak in language *I* can replicate... please...> “How are they going to get that?”

<Hey... you chose journalism...>

<And you chose cosmology... just remember the point is there is *one*... tight-man... and *two* of us...>

“Simple, I’ll be the propulsion...”

He turned to leave, quickly followed by Clark. Neither was aware of Lois’ close scrutiny as she trailed behind them. Once on the ground CJ scanned the craft, searching for the best place to lift.

<I’m glad this is you not me though...>

<Yeah... I bet you’d do something stupid like grab a booster instead of the actual ship...>

<Need any help?>

<Nope... should be fine... heck of a debut though...>

Lois and Clark watched with awed looks as the shuttle smoothly lifted into the sky.

tbc...

Sara "Lieta"