Here's part two.

Cris

Nothing but a Luthor on the Way 2

He had been accusing her of being blind but, what about himself? He couldn't see what lay in front of him. If he wanted to keep Lois at a safe distance from Luthor, he knew exactly what he had to do. She had said it to him herself; all that separated Lois Lane from being Lois Lane-Luthor was Superman. HIM. This wasn't a one-way situation; he did have an option after all. Would it be that bad if he told her, Superman, returned her feelings? Somewhere in his head, a little voice, constant reminder of his traditional upbringing, broke in, <<That would be taking advantage of her, wouldn't it?>> Still trying to sort out his internal debate, he heard her call again.

&#8220;Superman... Could you please come in for a second?&#8221;

Even after a year, he was always taken aback by how differently she behaved when he wore the suit, how softly she addressed him, so unlike the Mad Dog Lane facade she still wore around him, Clark, sometimes. He somehow couldn't imagine her biting at the hero, at her dream.

Once inside her apartment, he felt her close the window behind him. As she walked over to the couch, slowly turning to face him, he could she her cheek color brightening slightly. When she finally met his eyes, she started to speak after a slight hesitation.

&#8220;Did Clark tell you I needed to talk to you?

&#8220;I...&#8221;

Without giving him time to answer, she went on, &#8220;There are some things I'm trying to sort out. Everything seems to be changing for me these past few weeks and I'm trying to make some important decisions, which could change my life. But I can't... not without first... not if I don't find out how you feel... about me.&#8221;

He tried to speak, but words wouldn't come. And no words could come out until he made up his mind. Though he was sure of his feelings, when he thought about a relationship with Lois as Superman, it felt... not right. <<Great, big surprise. But you're missing the big picture again, Clark. Lois with Luthor, unless you avoid it. >>

As if she were sensing his doubts, she decided to explain herself further, &#8220;I... I love you, Superman. There's no way I can commit to another man without first being sure that there's no hope for us.&#8221;

<<What do I do? >> Trying to buy sometime, he said, &#8220;Lois, there are too many things you don't know about me. Maybe you never will.&#8221;

&#8220;Then, please let me know you, truly know you. Because I want you to be sure that it's not the celebrity I love, not the superhero. If you had no powers, if you were just an ordinary man leading an ordinary life, I'd love you just the same. Can you believe that?&#8221;

There, he had his answer now, and without having to say a single word. She'd said it all, because in trying to prove her love with her words, she'd lied with her actions. She had admitted to Clark that her decision about Lex's proposal depended on Superman; she hadn't said at any point that he, Clark, had a say in it, and now she was trying to convince him otherwise, though she couldn't know it, could she? It really didn't matter to him; the hurt was done. &#8220;As much as I'd love to be able to believe you, under the circumstances, I don't think that's something I can do.&#8221; And with that, he turned away from her and flew out her window.

Speechless and with her gaze still fixed on the spot where he'd been standing, she began to cry, not for the first time that day.

He'd had to leave; he couldn't stand watching her cry and not give in to her pleas. And the situation became unbearable as soon as he realized he was the reason behind her tears. So he'd simply flown away, out of her window and, probably, out of her life.

Try as he may to avoid it, his thoughts kept racing back to Lois; but he'd definitely had enough for one day. Too many emotions, too many disagreements... too much pain.

Being alone would not help him tonight; it wouldn't' take her off his mind, so he headed to the one place where he'd always find support, towards the two people who'd always been by his side. He needed to feel loved that night, nothing else but nothing less either. Maybe in the morning, when he'd had the time to compose himself, he could explain everything to his parents. If anyone knew what the best advice possible was, it had to be them.

Martha Kent was busying herself, preparing an oversized dinner. Even though it had been some time since Clark had left to travel the world and then to settle down in Metropolis, she still couldn't adjust to cooking meals just for two again. Sometimes, she'd offer some to her neighbors; others, she'd save for days to come. On occasion, Clark would show up and take some back to Metropolis.

For a few minutes, she relished herself in all the joyful memories the arrival of her son had created. Despite never being much of a believer, the way Clark had come into their lives did have the makings of a miracle. She was still caught in her reverie when her husband crept slowly beside her. Hugging her from behind, he said, &#8220;Honey, you know I like my food spicy, but if you add anything further I might get close to spitting fire!&#8221;

Turning slowly around to face him, she smiled. &#8220;Sorry, Jon. It's just... can you believe after almost thirty years I still remember that night at Shuster's Field as clearly as if it'd just taken place?&#8221;

&#8220;Well, it's not everyday that life changes in such an overwhelming way. All of the sudden we had what we'd always wanted but had basically given up on.&#8221; He couldn't help it. Every time he spoke of his son, the same proud look grew on his face. His wife, knowingly, replied, &#8220;That boy really is something... We should probably plan another trip to Metropolis, even if...&#8221;

Without giving her time to finish her sentence, a familiar whoosh made them both fix their gazes on the front door.

&#8220;...short. It's a good thing we got used to your little surprise appearances, or else our hearts would definitely complain!"

The sheepish grin Clark gave her as his only answer was enough to set her mother instincts off. There was obviously something troubling him, though probably ignoring it for the time being and allowing Clark to open up when he felt ready was the wisest choice. Clark's uncertain expression and his brief hesitation before he finally spoke told her all she needed to know.

&#8220;Mom, you wouldn't happen to have some of that great apple pie of yours, would you? It might not lighten my day, but it's sure bound to make it sweeter.&#8221;

She was about to respond, but opted for a simple nod instead, just before covering the distance between her son and the spot where she stood. Like any mother would, she knew what he needed, and so she hugged him and made him hug her, and decided to leave all further words for the morning.

When the first rays of the sun broke through his bedroom window, he slowly opened his eyes and tried to find the determination he needed to start a brand new day. He was feeling slightly better, which proved the advantage of his trip to Smallville. He wondered if his mother would ever cease to amaze him. Despite not being his birth mother, and for reasons unknown to him, she always seemed to know what it was he needed. Last night, he'd found in her the comfort he'd been searching for, and, furthermore, she'd understood his silent request and given him time until he felt ready to fill them in on what was bothering him. Now he knew that talking about his problems couldn't be any worse than keeping them to himself, so he chose not to postpone it any longer.

The smell of coffee and homemade waffles soon drew him to the kitchen. Once downstairs, his parents where nowhere to be seen but his breakfast, a still steaming cup of coffee and a couple waffles, was neatly arranged for him at the kitchen table. Just as he was about to eat the last bite, he heard the sound of footsteps approaching the back door. After a quick glance, he stood and reached for the door just in time to hold it open for Jonathan and Martha to come inside.

&#8220;Good morning, son,&#8221; they said almost in unison. Approaching her son, Martha said, &#8220;How are you feeling this morning? You look better...&#8221;

&#8220;Yeah, a little. I...&#8221; He paused. Deciding to tell them what he felt was one thing, but finding the appropriate way to do so was... complicated. &#8220;Have you ever wondered what you'd do if one day you lost almost everything that's precious to you? Well, now I know. Nothing! I don't seem to be able to do anything to keep my life from shattering. I know there's something not right about the way the Planet came down; I'm losing touch with Jimmy and Perry and... and I'm seeing Lois completely driven to the worst soul on earth. And what is it I do? I whine; I wallow. All I do is feel sorry for myself. What is wrong with me?&#8221;

After patiently waiting for Clark to finish, Jonathan was the first to speak, &#8220;Son, you know you can't sit back and watch everything slip away. You can't give up on any of that, especially if you know things aren't right the way they are. We've taught you better than that.&#8221; Before continuing, he gazed at his wife and waited for her approval. Then he went on, &#8220;What's more, son, we didn't bring you up to be a quitter.&#8221;

Desperation showing in his voice, Clark replied, &#8220;You don't have to remind me, dad, but how do I solve this?&#8221;

Martha, sensing the need for mother's advice, decided it was her turn to speak. &#8220;How about showing her she's got other options?&#8221; At his puzzled look, she continued, &#8220;Clark, tell her how you feel!&#8221;

&#8220;But mom, she'll probably reject me.&#8221;

Less patient and understanding than his wife at times, Jonathan raised his voice slightly, &#8220;Son, she loves you; she told you so!&#8221;

&#8220;No, dad, she loves Superman. You haven't seen the way she acts around him or her reactions when his name comes up. She always has a dreamy look in her eyes when she stares at him, which I can assure you is never there when it's just me she's looking at. I'm good old Clark, hack from Nowheresville, her partner...ex-partner, and probably her best friend; but Superman's the "HERO' from Krypton.&#8221;

Upon hearing those last words, Martha felt she too had had enough of her son's nonsense. &#8220;Look, Clark, we've put up with the way you talk about yourself in the third person; it's fine with us as long as you don't start seeing yourself as two different people, which is exactly what you are beginning to suggest. You've been Superman for less than a year, but Clark Kent is who you've been all your life. We have heard you say that Superman is what you can do, but I feel you're starting to forget it. When you created Superman, you didn't create a new person; you only found a way to use your special abilities to help others without losing the possibility of leading a normal life. The only differences between Clark and Superman are external, simply a matter of appearance. The person rescuing people from fires and such is as much my son as the one standing right before me now.&#8221;

&#8220;Then how come Lois doesn't see that?&#8221; His mom was finally getting through to him, which she must have sensed, for when she spoke again, her voice came in a calmer tone.

&#8220;Maybe you just have to help her acknowledge it. Deep down, she must see in you, in Clark, the same virtues she finds in Superman, but she's blinded by a fantasy, because she doesn't really know Superman; all she has done is idealize him so, in her eyes, he's the most perfect man. You have to make her realize she can truly find all that in you.&#8221;

At a loss for words, Clark realized there was no better way to let his mom know what he was thinking than just showing her, so he walked up to her and hugged her. At that, Jonathan approached them and joined in. It wasn't until a couple minutes later that Clark finally spoke again. &#8220;I don't know what I'd do without you guys. I love you.&#8221;

&#8220;And we love you son.&#8221;

<<This is it>>, she thought. It was a new day in the life of Lois Lane, maybe even a new beginning, because she was about to leave behind many of things that had been important to her up to that moment; the Planet, Perry, Jimmy... Clark. A lot of the pain and hurt she'd experienced the day before still remained, but at least she had finally been able to make a decision. After an intense argument with that nosy voice in the back of her head, she'd come to realize that, from whichever perspective she looked at the situation, her options were extremely clear. She was being given an opportunity, and she had to seize it. Yes, she would become Mrs. Luthor.

Lex had called early that morning and had, somehow, talked her into taking the day off. <<Who would have thought? Mad Dog Lane taking a day off just because >>, she wryly remarked. He would come to her apartment and together they'd go for a walk in the park and then to lunch. Though she'd been reluctant at first, she soon convinced herself that her concentration wasn't going to be any better than the previous day, so it really wouldn't hurt; much the opposite. Besides, spending time with Lex would help her get to know better her husband to be.

A soft knock on the door brought her back from her reverie. With one last look at her reflection in the mirror, she headed towards the door, ready to take the next step in her life. She didn't even need to look through her peephole to know whom the person standing behind her door was. She took a deep breath and opened to let him in. &#8220;Hello, Lex.&#8221;

Lex, always the flatterer, responded to her welcome with a compliment, &#8220;You look incredible, my darling&#8221;, and followed it by a soft kiss on the cheek.

Blushing slightly and with a shyness compared to that she showed around Superman, she answered, &#8220;Thank you. I want everything about today to be special.&#8221;

Inside, her words made him wonder if he could ever set a goal for himself that he wasn't able to achieve. He had her; if he waited a few minutes, he would hear her say the magic words "Lex, I want to be your wife'. And it would have been easier than he would have expected. Maybe, after all, he would even have to thank Kent and Superman for the unrequested help. << Had I known it'd be this fast, I'd have gotten rid of the Planet sooner. >>

In an effort to hide his pride, he assumed a sheepish expression, then asked, &#8220;Why would that be, dear?&#8221; What could he say, he was never one to doubt victory, but he always felt an overwhelming pleasure when it was others who informed him of his victories.

She walked to the couch and made sure he followed and once they were both comfortably seated there, she spoke quietly, &#8220;I... I told you I needed time to think things over, to make a decision. I guess sometimes I can't see what's right in front of me... The answer is yes, Lex. I'll marry you.&#8221;

No further words were exchanged. Lex pulled out of his pocket the black velvet box and opening it slowly, he took the ring and slid it on her finger. He kissed it softly before letting go of her hand. As he raised his head, he searched for her eyes, and when their gazes met, he closed the distance between them and brushed her lips with his, waiting for her permission before deepening the kiss.

Their walk would have to wait.

It was never a bad time for a trip to Smallville. That was something he should remind himself more often. True, nothing had been fixed, but at least now he knew what to do. His parents were right, though he couldn't say that there was anything surprising in it. Somehow, they were always aware of what was best for him. <<That's what parents do, isn't it? >> he thought.

With a new found determination and a much more optimistic attitude, he landed in the alley next to his apartment and changed into his regular Clark Kent clothing before entering. Inside, he made his way to the living room, with the firm intention of turning on the laptop and doing some research. <<It's about time someone clears up what happened to the Daily Planet... It's about time I start working on it. >> As he was about to push the on button, the blinking light of the answering machine caught his eye. For a fraction of a second, the possibility of having a message from Lois crossed his mind and managed to produce a half smile, which disappeared shortly after when the reminder of their last argument made him dismiss the thought. Curious as to who else might want to talk to him, he pressed play.

&#8220;Hey, Clark! This is Perry. I was just calling to tell you about the joys of retirement and...well, I have to come to Metropolis to solve a couple of matters, and thought you might want to meet with your old boss, chat about things, share some Elvis stories... Anyway, I'll be there tomorrow morning. I'll let you know as soon as I get in. Take care. >>

The message made Clark think back to the day Perry had told them about his retirement. As much of a shock as it had been, neither of them, not Lois, not Jimmy, and definitely not himself, had found an argument they could use against his decision. They couldn't picture him out of his editor's office, not barking out instructions, not advising them when they needed guidance, both in and out of work. His call today, however, proved their feelings had been justified. Whichever matters he pretended to be taking care of, Clark knew perfectly well that he had probably had enough retirement by now to last him a lifetime. Maybe his presence would help activate his reporter instincts and get him back on the investigative track.

Before his mind could wander on, a loud shrilling noise made him wish his superhearing wasn't so super. There was something strangely familiar about that noise. It didn't take him long to figure out where he'd hear something alike before. <<It'd better not be Jimmy playing again with one of his little toys, >> he thought. In a second, he spun into his Superman costume and took off from the same spot where he had landed barely a few minutes earlier.

Though his first suspicions were driven towards Jimmy, he had to change his mind as soon as he realized where following the noise was leading him. To the Lexcorp Towers; more precisely, to the penthouse a certain "benefactor' of the city had on top of one of them. The mere though of his likely destination was enough to set off his anger, but he did his best to repress it. After all, what could be said of him if he wasn't able to respect the values he expected from society? With a soft landing, he found himself standing in front of Luthor, who was holding the object responsible for the annoying noise.

With his voice bearing the usual deceitful polite tone and his arrogant smile, Luthor addressed him, &#8220;Sorry, Superman, for the bluntness of my manners. I intended to be more gentle, but realized I didn't have any other way to reach you...&#8221;

<<Patience... Be patient, Clark. >> &#8220;What do you want, Luthor?&#8221; There was simply no patience when it came to Luthor.

Lex couldn't help but enjoy himself at the prospect of leaving the Man of Steel, the strongest man on earth, if only physically, dumbfounded. &#8220;My, you never relax, do you? Here I am, about to invite you to the biggest celebration this city has seen in years, even worrying about whether you'll be available or not, yet you cannot control your temper.&#8221;

<<He's just trying to get to you, >> he reminded himself. <<Don't let him, Clark. >>. &#8220;Look, Luthor; I don't have time for riddles.&#8221;

&#8220;I don't see the rush, Superman, but we can do this your way. I know you and Lois are good friends and even though she's more than a little resentful of you at the moment, I am sure she would regret it if you didn't share this day with her. So, are you available, Superman, a week from today?&#8221;

He didn't feel like he could face what this was headed to and his only response to Luthor's insinuations seemed to be the classical nothing-can-hurt-me pose Superman had become known amongst criminals for. &#8220;Why would you want to know?&#8221;

This was fun; without a doubt more than all the occasions in which he'd pictured the situation in his mind. With more irony in his voice, if that was possible, he continued, &#8220;So powerful, yet sometimes cannot take a simple hint.&#8221; Pausing, he prepared himself for the flow of satisfaction he was about to experience as soon as the implications of his words sank in on that steel core. &#8220;Lois and I are to be wed next Friday. It was our intention to have sent out invitations, but with so short notice, we've had to rely on phones and such to accomplish the task. Which reminds me; you and Kent are also good friends, am I wrong? Given the fact that Lois is slightly disappointed in him at the time as well, I'm afraid her pride may not allow her to call him. Could you please ask him, on our behalf, to join us that day?&#8221;

He had had more than enough; still, he made an effort to keep his voice at a reasonable volume. By no means should he give in to Luthor's games. &#8220;You're not fooling anyway here, Luthor. What's more, with this attempt at provoking me, you're only giving further proof of your unworthiness, which makes it harder to understand how it is that you have managed to deceive Lois.&#8221; Dangerously allowing emotion to rule him for a few instants, he proceeded with his warning, &#8220;She deserves so much more than what you can give her. She is not an object for you to possess; and she is smart; she'll have you figured out soon. In the meantime, if you hurt her or make her suffer, in any way, I'll personally make sure you never again get close enough as to even breathe the same air she's breathing. And I believe you are well aware of what I'm capable of.&#8221;

Apparently listening, Lex hadn't been able to hear the last of his foe's words. At some point in his speech, he had a strange feeling of dejá vu. He couldn't have dreamt this because in his dreams Superman never had the nerve to address him in such a cocky manner. <<Right, cocky; that's the word...>> He hadn't dreamt this; he'd heard it before. But it couldn't be, could it? It was a mere coincidence, or was it? He focussed his gaze back on the hero and spoke to him one last time, &#8220;Well, I'm certain that in seven days you'll have plenty to time to think things over and reconsider. After all, you wouldn't want to disappoint Lois further, would you?&#8221;

Unwilling this time to allow his response to be as out of place as Luthor's behavior, all he said was, &#8220;Goodbye, Mr. Luthor.&#8221; And with a quick gesture, he took off, fast enough to not hear the last of Luthor's remarks.

&#8220;Sure you'll reconsider... &#8220; he muttered, &#8220;... Mr. Kent. >>

END OF PART TWO

Cris