Seems I can't apologize enough lately. I'm really sorry I've taken so long; I really have no excuse, so I won't even try to give you one. I just hope you guys still want to know how this story goes on.

I still don't know if I'll be able to wrap this up in only one more part, but I'm starting to believe it's going to be complicated. Part ten is halfway done, so I really think I won't delay myself this time, but if I do, feel free to nag!

Thanks to all those of you who've been with me on this story; thanks for reading and thanks for all the wonderful feedback. I never expected such a response. Special thanks to Jose and, above all, to my great BR, Tricia. smile1

Back when I started with this, I think Pam said she usually expected rewrites to make things better, not worse. Well, finally, I'm going to start righting some wrongs (just remember I said SOME! evil )

One last thing, you can find the TOC for the story HERE

Cris

Previously on part 8:

And it hit her. Clark had been there for her, unconditionally, whether he'd been wearing one of his wild ties or that spandex suit of his; it was always his concern for her well being that surfaced. How could she not have noticed? How could all the outstanding qualities she'd seen in Superman have looked so dull? Or had they? Because it really wasn't that she'd never realized how gentle Clark was, how compassionate. <<No, Clark's so much more than that, >> she thought. <<He's generous, caring...>> Sorrowfully, she realized that no one could ever offer the kind of love Clark had; no one would ever love her like he did SHE would never love anyone then way she loved him.

As she noticed the tears dwelling up in her eyes, she instinctively brought a finger up to her face to brush away the first of them.

None of that mattered now; it was too late.

And as she dismissed the last thoughts of Clark, she curled up in bed and cried, silently, until she finally fell asleep.

As the sun took its place in the sky among the few clouds scattered about, the city of Metropolis prepared itself for what was likely to become the event of the year; for the one celebration that was bound to occupy as many front-page headlines as Superman's first appearance, a little less than a year back. Today was the day Lex Luthor, one of the city's greatest benefactors, the world's third richest man, was to be wed, and to none other that Daily Planet star reporter Lois Lane.

NOTHING BUT A LUTHOR ON THE WAY, PART 9

Clark's eyes slowly wandered around the chapel. He was surprised to find that it was a rather small place. After a quick scan, he realized that no more than a hundred people, maybe a hundred and fifty, at most - considering they didn't all take a seat- would be able to attend the ceremony. If it was his wedding, he'd have more than enough with one-half of the chapel, but this was Luthor. He would certainly want his wedding to be nothing short of flamboyant, an event the city would remember in months to come, maybe even years. There was no way this could ever meet those kinds of expectations. Unless, that is, he wanted to have as many people as possible outside, patiently waiting for him and his new wife to make an appearance.

Considering the possibility, Clark realized it doubtlessly suited Luthor's egocentric character. And that was one of the many reasons why this wedding could never make sense to him. Luthor had nothing in common with Lois. He could never be half the person she'd become. She was bright, talented, insightful, persistent; a little stubborn, but had she not been that way, she probably wouldn't have grown to be Metropolis's best reporter.

As for Luthor, the nicest thing he could say about him was that he was a crook, smart enough to have made it this far undiscovered, yet still so ignorant, completely unaware of the wonders hidden inside the woman who was to become his wife. She was nothing but a trophy to him, the symbol of his hundredth victory, the latest proof of his unending success &#8211; if one could actually call it that. How could anyone be so self centered? How could anyone not realize that Lois was not a reminder of how great a liar a person could be, but a gift to be thankful for every night you had the chance to fall asleep beside her; every morning that you woke up to find her beautiful brown eyes staring back at you?

Life was so unfair sometimes. He'd grown up believing in old-fashioned virtues: sure that they were the best way of life, the only way of life. Yet, so far, all of those virtues had gotten him nowhere. Yes, he was able to help many people thanks to his superpowers, and it was definitely rewarding, but at what cost? No one had ever told him that living a life of honesty and gentleness would condemn him to a lonely existence. What was more; no one had ever told him that, while he went back to an empty apartment, night after night, after saving the world from the latest threat, there were other people, there was another man, who after a day of deceit and crime, returned home to find a beautiful, bright wife. A woman whose sole smile was enough to light up your day.

Would Luthor ever be able to see that? Clark didn't need an answer. Integrity, honesty, stubbornness weren't things Luthor could grasp. And as long as he couldn't touch them, they weren't real. Not like his money was; not like his power felt. When the world looked up at him, admiration oozing, he saw the real extent of his control. But he couldn't measure Lois's uncountable qualities; he couldn't put a price tag on them; and that made them worthless. Funny, Clark thought, how the only things that mattered to him were those Luthor could easily live without. Clark Kent could never be content with Lois by his side if she lost her beliefs; if she gave up on her dreams; if she wasn't the single most stubbornly brilliant woman he'd ever met. Because without all those things, you had a beautiful shell but no oyster. Without all of that, you simply wouldn't have Lois Lane. But that was something Luthor would never understand. Something he couldn't understand.

And he, Clark Kent &#8211; Superman on occasion- the most powerful being on the Planet, if only physically, could do nothing to change that. Luthor had Lois, maybe not as his best friend- the way she had been for him over the last few months- but as his partner for life, as his lover. Clark had nothing but memories to hold on to.

<<Ok, I've had enough. When did you become a wallower? Can't you find anything better to do than drown yourself in self-pity? Get a grip, Clark. It wouldn't be the first time you defeated Luthor. >>

Great, his own private Jiminy Cricket again. How insistent could one's conscience get? <<Yeah, sure; I could defeat Luthor. Why not? After all, he only knows I spend my free time flying around in tights and a cape. Whatever made me think that gave him any kind of power over me? Why would that make him drive my life a little closer to hell? >>

<<Oh, please! I didn't know the brains came off with the suit. He's about to take away everything you've ever wanted. Aren't you at least going to try to fight for it? >>

Fight for it. As simple as that sounded, he had no clue how to do that. He knew he couldn't give up; his parents would be anything but proud if he did. It hadn't being so long ago that they'd reminded him that they hadn't brought him up to be a quitter. Yet the way he saw it, there was little he could do. Could he expect Luthor to make a mistake at some point? Was there anything he could use against him? Somehow, his fight for truth and justice just didn't seem enough. But if Superman wasn't undefeatable, neither was Luthor. Or was he?

The sound of approaching footsteps, however, made Clark put those thoughts aside &#8211;at least for the moment.

Wearing a black tux, with his hair neatly arranged with a touch of gel &#8211;not the kind that would make it look unnatural, but enough to assure it remained perfect all through the ceremony-, Lex entered the chapel through a side door, his smile probably wider than it'd ever been. &#8220;I knew you wouldn't disappoint me, Kent.&#8221;

Clark was about to snap back a response, but thought better of it. Luthor was already in control of the situation; if he wanted to take advantage of any mistake he might make, he should at least get a hold of his reactions &#8220;Don't get your hopes up.&#8221;

&#8220;As much as I enjoy the friendly "banter', Kent, I have a wedding to prepare for, so let's just cut to the chase here, shall we?&#8221; Not waiting for an answer, he went on. &#8220; We both know that your choices right now are very limited. So it goes down to this: you have to decide between yourself and the people you love the most. It's either their suffering or yours.&#8221;

<<Disconcerting reactions, Clark; disconcerting reactions. >> &#8220;I thought you didn't want to waste time?&#8221;

Lex tried to hide his surprise at the younger man's attitude and, ignoring his comment, proceeded with his speech, &#8220;I'm going to be man of my word, even if only this one time. There is no kryptonite and there won't be. Or rather, I won't turn to it unless I'm forced to. Though that's beyond the point right now.&#8221;

&#8220;It's obvious that my marriage to Lois is nothing short of distressing for you. I'd tell you how sorry that makes me feel, but we both know it'd be a lie. If anything, the fact that you don't support her decision makes my day a little sweeter.&#8221;

&#8220;Look, Luthor, why don't you just spare me the hot air and get down to the point?&#8221;

&#8220;You surprise me, Kent, you really do. But then, this will be all that much fun if you refuse to surrender...&#8221; With a smug smile, he allowed his words to linger. &#8220;Oh, sorry, I just keep digressing. I'll keep it brief.

&#8220;As I've pointed out before, one of your many flaws is that you actually care about people. You allow yourself to "bond' with them. And I'm sure there are few things as unbearable for you as having Lois say I do, as she walks out of your life forever. I know that, if you could, you'd spare yourself the experience. Today, however, if you chose to do so, there'd be up to three people &#8211;mom, dad and, of course, Lois- leaving your life &#8211;and everybody else's- for good. And you're smart enough to know I'm deadly serious about this.&#8221; He paused, relishing in the somber expression the younger man's face had gained. How he hated not being able to tell the world that he, Lex Luthor, had proved to be stronger than the worshipped hero; how his power had had no match in the alien's superhuman abilities. No, this victory would remain unknown to the world -like so many others-; yet for the first time, he wouldn't have to hide his proud smile; he wouldn't have to disguise the gloating. After all, who wouldn't expect a newlywed to wear a permanent smile?

&#8220;So, what's it going to be, Superman? Or should I say Mr. Kent? You certainly look anything but super at the moment.&#8221;

Clark remained quiet, even though he didn't need to think about his answer. He hadn't been given a real choice, and Luthor knew that just as well as he did. There was nothing he wouldn't do to keep his parents and Lois from being hurt. If he walked out on them now, he wouldn't be sparing himself of any suffering; much the opposite. A life without Lois by his side was not a prospect to look forward to; but a life spent at Luthor's beck and call and without Lois and his parents was far worse, no matter how he looked at it. Despite all that, he couldn't bring himself to give Luthor his answer. He couldn't say the words, so instead he only stood in front of the billionaire, helplessly watching his life fall apart. So much for fighting!

If Lex hadn't believed in his victory before &#8211;which, if he was honest, wasn't the case- the look of defeat the younger man's face bore would have been enough to convince him. The rush of pride and, yes, joy that run through his body was hard to describe; it didn't matter that he'd anticipated Kent's reactions and his attitude when he presented him with his choices. He had to admit, though, that predicting his reaction hadn't been much of a challenge, but no one could deny that he'd given the man a choice; that it had turned out to be unacceptable for the reporter was something he wasn't responsible for. He'd known this day would come; and it wasn't a realization he'd been faced with once he'd found out the hero's secret. No, he'd been sure that sooner or later he would have the alien on his knees, his whole existence depending only on his whim. And that was the way it would remain until he stopped being of use; then, he'd simply dispose of him. Kryptonite, an unbearable feeling of lose the morning he found Ma and PA Kent lying lifeless on the floor of the family's farmhouse... Maybe a combination of both...

&#8220;But, where are my manners? We've been standing here for a while and I still haven't offered you a seat.&#8221; With those words, he led Clark towards the second row, to the seat closest to the aisle. &#8220;I hope you'll forgive me; I tried my best to save a place for you in the front row, but it's been impossible. I hope you understand.&#8221; He gestured for Clark to sit down. &#8220;You'll be close enough to Lois, though. I'm sure that, despite your recent... dissents, your presence will be comforting for her.&#8221;

Clark sat down, trying his best not to let his hatred of Luthor show, but failing miserably. He didn't think it mattered. &#8220;Don't you have a wedding to get ready for? You know I'm not going anywhere, so what are you waiting for? What else do you want?&#8221;

This was being so simple; it almost made him wish Kent resisted himself, even if just a little. Almost. &#8220;As sure as I am that you're smart enough not to try to do anything brave &#8211;and stupid, must I say- I haven't gotten this far by trusting others. So, as you should have expected, I'm gong to play it safe. The moment you took your seat, you activated a small device placed right under the bench. You can check if you want, but if I were you I wouldn't stand up. Its mechanism isn't too complicate; it's basically a sensor, set to monitor your movements.&#8221; He pulled his jacket open and pointed his finger at a small, black device, fastened to the waist of his pants. &#8220;If the pressure your body creates against the wood diminishes, this will let me know.&#8221;

Feeling a sudden rush of boldness, Clark asked, &#8220;So, if I move, your little device will tell. And then what?&#8221;

Well, Kent wasn't fighting back, but at least he was still proud enough to not admit his defeat openly. He wouldn't have wanted it any other way; he wanted a worthy foe all the way. &#8220;Now wouldn't you want to know! Let's see, right now you're thinking bombs; you're seeing the place were you grew up blown to bits; you see mom and dad shot, lifeless... You even wonder what it is I have in store for Lois.&#8221; Shaking his head slowly, but firmly, Luthor stared at him, intently. &#8220; No, I don't think so, Kent. You see, it seems I tend to give away more information than I should. I underestimate you, and just when it seems victory cannot escape me, you go and save the day... again. But not this time; I won't let it happen; I won't let you find a way out. And, hopefully, you'll be smart enough and won't try to find out on your own.&#8221;

There is a thing about sleepless nights; they give you plenty of time to think. It doesn't matter how intent you are on falling asleep; it's simply not meant to happen. And against common belief, the lack of rest is far from blurring your vision. Suddenly, as tired as you feel, everything you've been trying to understand makes sense; all the pieces fall into place. The worst part comes when you have to be up and going early in the morning. You try not to let it show, but the excess of brain activity of the last few hours takes a toll on you. You're feeling tired and, to top it off, you have two black circles right under your eyes acting as a remainder. In Lois's case, though, the effects lying wide awake for hours might have had on her appearance had been long. There had been more important issues occupying her thoughts and, also, Lex had made sure she had the best make-up artists at her disposal, in order for her to be the most perfect bride, at least in appearance. After all, it wouldn't be acceptable for the new Mrs. Luthor to take up the front pages of the most important magazines and newspapers in the area &#8211;maybe even the country- looking like anybody's bride.

The small clock resting on top of the dresser indicated that it was only ten minutes to eleven. And its hands weren't stopping. Lois had been trying to ignore their advances for the last half hour, desperately hoping that, somehow, they'd be frozen and with them the world, giving her the time she needed to sort out her feelings, her life... But her deadline kept approaching.

As she stared at her reflection in the mirror, she could see nothing but the look on Clark's face when she'd thrown her accusations at him. He hadn't tried to mislead her or prove her wrong; he hadn't denied a word. If she was true to that new honesty policy of hers, she had to admit that she couldn't have expected less. She did know him after all. Clark Kent was a man whose upbringing made him value virtues, considered by many old-fashioned, above anything else. For him, truth and honesty had always been more than words. Yet she'd doubted him.

She had to laugh at the irony in her situation. There was no way her husband-to-be could ever begin to understand any of that. And she knew. Clark had tried to warn her about him, but if only she'd stopped to think long enough, she would have seen it herself. Lex had shown her enough of his true self for her to know the real man, maybe not to all of his extent, but enough to understand that morals such as those Clark defended would always be beyond his understanding.

But she'd told Clark that her heart belonged to Lex and, for the first time in her life, she was going to face the consequences of her choices. There was no turning back now. And if she wasn't able to do it for herself, then she had to think of Clark. Because she couldn't remember all the times he'd come to her rescue- not as Superman, (which he had done an awful lot) - but as Clark, as the friend whose comfort she'd needed. Whether it had been at a reasonable hour or in the middle of the night. All she'd had to do was call. And what had she done in return? For starters, she hadn't even tried to understand why he'd kept his secret from her; she hadn't listened to his explanations. Right now, though, she wished that were the worst part.

She'd been so busy worrying about her hurt pride that she'd taken for granted the most important thing. Clark had warned her about Lex; he'd insisted that she didn't know the real man, that she was being fooled by his philanthropic pose. And all the time, she'd dismissed his worries as nothing more than jealousy. Now, she realized that Clark probably knew much more than he let on, but hadn't been willing to say anything for lack of proof. He hadn't wanted to hurt her but, at the same time, he hadn't been able to watch her go without a warning. In the end, his everlasting care had had a price: his secret. Not because she now knew he was more than a mild-mannered reporter from Smallville; but because of the way she'd found out: through Lex. Now that she was starting to convince herself that there was more to him that she'd been intent on believing, the implications of his knowing the secret were all too clear. That was exactly why she had to go through with this wedding; that was why she had to forget her feelings and sacrifice her life. For the safety of Clark's secret.

The clock was about to strike eleven, as the murmur of many different conversations filled the earlier quiet chapel. Though Clark wasn't looking forward to his future, now that he'd finally accepted this wedding to be unavoidable, he wanted it to be over; the sooner the better. For the last hour, he'd just sat there, making small talk with the other guests around him. Small talk was actually an understatement. Apart from a three-minute-long conversation with the mayor &#8211; which would have been more than productive under different circumstances- it had all been hellos and other polite formalities. Some of the guests had recognized him as part of the former "hottest team in town'; others had probably just been trying to be polite, assuming he was close to the groom and the bride, given how accessible to the altar he was seated.

As he waited, he hadn't been able to avoid "inspecting' the sensor placed under his seat. Without getting a look at it, his chances of successfully disconnecting the device were slim, and he wasn't about to take any more unnecessary risks; he doubted that Luthor's speech had been a bluff and, even if that had been the case, his time had run out. Luthor was already standing by the altar, patiently waiting for his fiancée, which meant he really didn't need the device to control his every move and with the amount of people crowding the room, he couldn't risk doing anything super fast. Not that exposing himself was his biggest worry right now; if he did move, there was no way he could protect both Lois and his parents, nor the rest of innocent people that could be affected by any measure Luthor chose to implement as punishment for his disobedience.

How he wished this part of his torture would soon be over!

Not long afterwards, the soft sounds coming from the organ caught everybody's attention. Slowly, dozens of heads turned, so they could see the back door, through which the bride would make her entrance. When the door finally did open, Clark felt his breath catch in his throat. If he'd ever thought her beauty would one day stop amazing him, he'd been wrong. Lois's wedding dress was simple; not one of those extra-ornate one would usually find in designer magazines. It was white, just the way tradition said it should, and with a short veil that covered her face and rested just below her chin. The veil, though, wasn't an obstacle when Clark tried to focus on her face. She had applied make up, of course, but it'd been just a touch, enough to cover the imperfections of her face -if she had any, which was something Clark doubted- and giving her a natural look, which, if anything, increased her beauty. Clark was convinced, though, that she'd be looking just as beautiful without any of it. She was the most beautiful bride he'd ever seen. His heart ached at the thought; he'd always assumed that'd be a privilege reserved for his wife. Some dreams weren't meant to come true.

With gentle pace, Lois walked down the aisle, briefly staring at the expectant faces, though recognizing few of them. She knew this was her wedding, but by the guests crowding the chapel, no one would have been able to tell. They were most Lex's acquaintances; from local authorities to businessmen. But were any of them real friends to the man who would in a matter of minutes be her husband? Somehow she doubted it. It wasn't until she'd almost reached the altar that she found herself staring at a familiar face. At first, she was surprised; she hadn't expected him there, not after all they'd been through over the last few weeks, but as soon as her surprise faded, worry took over. Not because she didn't appreciate his being there for her, but because she felt her resolve vanish. How could she say I do to a man she was certain she did not love, when less than two feet away sat the most gentle person she'd ever met? How could she do it when she knew Clark's heart was breaking as she said those simple three words? How could she, when her own heart was breaking? She cursed herself for realizing just what she wanted, what she needed, a minute too late... again. This was for the best, she tried to remind herself. Even if he could never understand it, she was doing this for him. It'd have to be her way of rewarding him for everything he'd ever done for her... Everything she hadn't appreciated the way she should have. Yes, this was the right thing to do.

She tore her gaze away; there was such tenderness in his eyes, such love, that she had to. It was time to get on with the wedding; it was time to get on with her life.

The minister turned to stare at Lex. &#8220;Do you, Lex, take this woman to be your wedded wife from this day forward, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do you part?&#8221;

Without the slightest hesitation, Lex answered, with his eyes fixed on Lois as he gave her his best smile, &#8220;I do.&#8221;

Then the minister shifted towards Lois. &#8220;And do you, Lois, take this man to be your wedded husband from this day forward, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do you part?&#8221;

The words echoed in her head and though she tried to force a response, her lips wouldn't part. Before she could help it, her head had turned and her gaze was searching Clark's intently. There she could see all the emotions that were building up inside her. She tried to give him an apologetic smile; tried to make him understand that she didn't like what she was about to do any more than he did. But he didn't seem to understand, and she couldn't blame him. She didn't understand. Couldn't they find another way to fight Luthor? Couldn't they, together, be stronger than him? Wasn't that what love was?

She drove her attention back to Lex and the minister as they both offered her a reassuring smile. &#8220;I...&#8221; Why couldn't she say it, loud and clear? In her next attempt, she managed to finish her sentence, even if softly, &#8220;I can't, Lex.&#8221;

Unaware of her last few words, a middle aged man, dressed in a dark suit, came in through the same door Lois had used minutes earlier, the sound of his hands as he clapped resounding all through the chapel. &#8220;Touching... really touching. And to think I almost missed it.&#8221; And, with feigned embarrassment, he added, &#8220;Oh, but where are my good manners? I owe you an apology. I'm sorry to be interrupting. Truly. Even if you did try to kill me.&#8221;

END OF PART 9

Cris