Next Thread
Print Thread
#48150 11/16/07 10:48 AM
Sheila Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
"No," Clark said, smiling.

At that instant, the eyes of Smallville's most notable gossip lit on the gold band that he wore on the third finger of his left hand. "Since when did you get married?"

"After graduation," he informed her, deliberately neglecting to give the date.

"I never heard anything about it," Eleanor said.

"Well --" Clark lowered his voice. "Her family didn't really approve of me, so we didn't advertise it."

"My goodness!" She began to ring up the groceries. "Where are you living now?"

"On the old farm," Clark told her.

"Oh -- but isn't it terribly run down?" Eleanor asked. "I'd think it would be, after so long!"

"I fixed it all up in my spare time, before the wedding," Clark explained with deceptive ingenuousness. "You'd hardly recognize it now, since I got finished with it."

"But -- I heard you were going to college in the fall. How can you do that and farm the land, too?"

"I'm renting out the land," Clark explained. "And I'm enrolling in Midwest U -- that's only an hour's drive from here. I'm arranging my classes so I only have to drive it three times a week. That way I can live at home and avoid the cost of university housing."
This is so accurate and not only characteristic of a small town. I hate it when people don't have enough to do in their lives and start to mettle in other peoples affairs. Now if these were truly just innocent questions and not for gossip, Eleanor would have just come out and asked exactly what she wanted to know.

Nan, you made this so realistic.
"No," Clark said, smiling.

At that instant, the eyes of Smallville's most notable gossip lit on the gold band that he wore on the third finger of his left hand. "Since when did you get married?"

"After graduation," he informed her, deliberately neglecting to give the date.

"I never heard anything about it," Eleanor said.

"Well --" Clark lowered his voice. "Her family didn't really approve of me, so we didn't advertise it."

"My goodness!" She began to ring up the groceries. "Where are you living now?"

"On the old farm," Clark told her.

"Oh -- but isn't it terribly run down?" Eleanor asked. "I'd think it would be, after so long!"

"I fixed it all up in my spare time, before the wedding," Clark explained with deceptive ingenuousness. "You'd hardly recognize it now, since I got finished with it."

"But -- I heard you were going to college in the fall. How can you do that and farm the land, too?"

"I'm renting out the land," Clark explained. "And I'm enrolling in Midwest U -- that's only an hour's drive from here. I'm arranging my classes so I only have to drive it three times a week. That way I can live at home and avoid the cost of university housing."
Clark may only be 18 but he has a better handle on this marriage thing than lots of adults do. I hope Lois finally comes around and tells him how much she really is in love with him and at some point show him that she isn't in this for convenience but that she would choose to be with him even without the baby.
"Would you like some ginger ale?" Clark inquired. "I'm told it's good for an -- upset stomach."
LOL!
"Wonderful! I'm sure the two of you will be able to find something to do." Nettie Irig herded Lois and Lucy into the house before turning to Clark. "Wayne is out in back, behind the barn," she said. "He said to tell you to go right out there. There was something he wanted to show you."

"All right," Clark said. He trotted around the building toward the spot where the ancient oak tree had stood.
The old divide and conquer routine. At least I think Nettie will ask Lois what she really wants to know, and not for gossip sake.
"Oh?" Clark said.

"Yeah -- some kinda green-glowin' crystal. I put it in the barn -- figured it might be somethin' you oughtta take a look at before I let anybody else see it."
Noooo! Not Kryptonite! wallbash

Now I'm positive that Wayne knows more about Clark than he has ever let on and Nettie does too. She'll probably be curious to know if Lois knows it's implications on "their" baby.
A faint prickle ran over Clark's scalp. "What do you think it is?"

"Dunno. Thought maybe you'd have some idea." He looked meditatively at Clark. "Maybe I oughtta tell you," he said slowly, "I've been down in your storm cellar. Right after Jonathan and Martha got killed in that accident. They'd left legal stuff, put me in charge o' watchin' the place. There was a busted board in the middle of the floor. I got a look at what was hidden under it." He was silent for several seconds. "I remembered that flap about the space debris, right about the time Jonathan and Martha said you'd been born."

"Wayne --"

"Didn't like those government types, though, the way they went snoopin' around," Irig said. "Askin' funny questions. Acted like they didn't really believe what I told 'em, pesterin' your dad and mom. Don't trust the government when they get too interested in people's property," he added. He was silent for a moment. "I replaced the board," he said finally. "Never said nothin' about it to nobody. Didn't figure it was anybody's business." He gestured toward the barn. "You've always been a good kid. Never any trouble for anybody, always tryin' to do the right thing. Jonathan and Martha would have been proud of you."

"Thanks," Clark said. There really wasn't much else to say.
Even on the series, Wayne seemed to be someone whom the Kents could trust. You've gotta love Wayne. He just said in so many words that he knows...or suspects...but didn't want confirmation...just leave it at that. He wanted Clark to know that he knows but without saying it.
"Wayne --" he gasped.

Irig looked up, surprise apparent on his features. "What's the matter?"

"Something wrong --" Clark got the words out through lips that suddenly didn't seem to be able to form them. "Hurts --"

"You think it's this thing?" Irig shut the box at once but Clark was barely aware of it. The last thing he was aware of was the sensation of falling and of blackness rolling up to meet him.
What a note to end on.

Nicely done Nan! I am eager for more.

~Sheila

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
#48151 11/16/07 05:06 PM
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Hi Nan, I just caught up, and I'm seriously loving this. For some reason I just love young-L&C-with-kid fics, so this is right up my alley, but I enjoy your writing so much that I'd love it even without that. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the next part. smile

Lisa

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#48152 11/16/07 08:32 PM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Potential for gossip, green K and Wayne knowing.

Nice, Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard