Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
woody Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
I'm thinking about sending a warning to China telling them that's my jaw sticking out of the ground. I might talk to the seismologists in Seattle as well...

Seriously, Nan, that was completely unexpected. Normally it would seem out of character for Lois, but in this case it can work. Talk about a courtship on superspeed. Yay for Clark having the guts to step up with that proposal (double meaning intended)

Is this going to be the start of another great series, Nan? Sure feels like it.

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Just a little point - as early as 1971, most school districts in the US had rules in place forbidding girls from being expelled for being pregnant. These rules included making sure the young woman in question was able to stay in regular classes if circumstances allowed. (IE, she could get to class regularly and didn't have to take a lot of time off so she could work to support herself.) [Linked Image]

In many locales only one parent signature is required to allow an underage pregnant girl to get married. (and she can be very young.)

Otherwise - just like Clark to offer to marry Lois. wink

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
Believe me, I researched this on the internet pretty thoroughly. I couldn't find any state where a girl under 18 could get married without the signature of both parents -- unless one or both parents are dead or it's proven to a judge that she's pregnant -- and that was in 1984. In any case, I can see Lois's father refusing to sign, and Ellen as well -- unless she was drunk. I can't see either Lois or Clark trying to trick her into signing, either.

As for the other, she's well aware that if this gets out, Social Services will be on her mother's doorstep, checking on her situation and the whole mess with a drunken mother will come out. Then they'd either take Lucy away or hand her back to her father, and Lois hasn't got a very good opinion of how much attention her dad will take with Lucy. Anyway, that's her rationalization for the moment, and Clark knows better than to argue while Lois is in panic mode <g>

I'll just make a few little changes to make that clear. This is why I like my betas to be the readers. I get a lot more perspectives that way.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Well, I had a female relative who got herself pregnant in 1970 or so and was able to get married with just her mom's signature. (This was in Illinois, but they may well have gone to a judge to get approval as well since her father was an abusive SOB.)

But, yeah, I can see Clark giving into Lois in 'panic' mode. peep

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, he is so sweet... but yeah, that was a total shocker of a development. eek No wonder she was so upset and avoiding him.

I'm a little confused, still -- he wants to show a judge proof that she's pregnant right away and then wait to get married 'til after her birthday? Why do they need to wait for her birthday? And what month are they in, anyway? June had better not be very far away.

I also hope the Irigs will continue to be very laid back and understanding...

Love that last line, though -- she's the woman who taught him how to fly. goofy

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
No, he wants Lois to take a pregnancy test at a doctor's office and then they'll wait until her 17th birthday, show the results to a judge in Georgia or Florida, and get married -- a matter of about three weeks, assuming graduation is near the middle of June, as it is in most places in the US.

Nan

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I love the idea that Clark and Lois are so overwhelmingly attracted to each other that they get together before they are married. I don't mind Lois getting pregnant with Clark's child that way, either. But I feel so bad about the idea that Lois impulsively gets together with another man (or boy) and gets pregnant with him. I know that the show made clear that Lois wasn't a virgin when she met Clark, so the idea isn't inconsistent with the show, of course. I just really don't like it. frown

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, I'm not wild about that idea either, Ann, but it's not entirely out of character -- and it sets up such a lovely dynamic with Clark. wink Moving from 'platonic best friends' to 'marry me' in 2.6 seconds is always entertaining to watch.

Thanks for the clarification, Nan. That makes sense. Can't wait for part 7!

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Nan - I love this! You know I do!

One thing that popped out at me [probably too many soaps years ago...] - if they go to another state... Do they have to live in that state? Would an OTC pregnancy test work or does it have to be a doc's office type thing? [I know WIC here has to have something official - an early ultrasound or whatever.] How do they get to this other state? If Clark drives and they go over state lines, could her parents come after him for kidnapping, even though that's not what it really is. Does that make sense?

I love, love, love this!
Carol

Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
From the research I did, there are a few states where a woman under eighteen can marry if she shows proof to a judge that she is pregnant. I'd say they're talking about a doctor's report for that. I doubt an OTC test would be sufficient -- he'd have to see the paperwork, or at least a letter. However, in those states, residency isn't required -- but the application for the license has to be in the same state. As for them coming after Clark for kidnapping, I doubt it. It would be an interesting situation, but I don't see Ellen doing it and by the time her father finds out it will be much too late. After she's married, she's legally an emancipated minor. That would probably make a difference.

Nan

Top Banana
Top Banana
Nan, this is such a bittersweet story. There are so many emotions flying around here. And Clark is just so wonderful and sweet through it all for Lois.

I know that teen marriage is a big step and the odds are against them, but this is Lois and Clark we're talking about.
"I've been looking for you ever since school let out."

Surreptitiously, she dabbed at her eyes. "What for?"

"Because you've been avoiding me for days and I thought something was wrong, and I was right," he said. "Lois, what's the matter? I'll help you if I can. You know that."

Her shoulders slumped. "Nothing," she said. "There's nothing that you can do this time."
Clark already has a bond with Lois, that he can sense when something isn't right with her. Now if Lois would just open up to him.
She took it, wiped her eyes and blew her nose, seeming to regain a little control with the gesture, but she looked up at him with an expression of utter misery on her face and inhaled deeply. "I'm pregnant."
"Oh, honey." Clark put his arms around her again and pulled her against his shoulder. In the face of her self-recriminations and distress, the only thing he could think of was that she was in trouble and that he had to help her. "Lois, it's going to be okay."

"It won't," she whispered. "Clark, I'm so sorry. I know you're disappointed with me. *I'm* disappointed with me. I've ruined everything! I was so stupid!"

"You don't owe me any explanations," he said quietly. "And I could never be disappointed with you. The important thing is what we do now. What do you *want* to do?"
I don't have the words to say how wonderful Clark is being throughout all of this. He's just so sweet. But I do know that Clark will never leave Lois alone in all of this even though he knows it's not his baby.

Oh, Clark...why didn't you ask Lois out and why couldn't she have told you that it would be okay to be more than friends. Oh how I wish this was Clark's baby.
“No you haven’t,” Clark said firmly, making up his mind. Now that he was aware of it, he could hear the tiny flutter, as fast and light as a butterfly’s wings, of the baby’s beating heart. He took one arm from around her but only to take her hand. “It makes things a little more difficult, that’s all, but the two of us can handle anything if we work at it. Will you marry me, Lois?”
Just...wow! What will Ronnie say when he finds out that Clark Kent is raising his baby.
“I know you don’t love me,” he said quietly, “but I love you. Anyway, we can worry about what to do about that later. If you marry me, then I’ll be part of your family and I’ll have the right to help you handle things. Will you marry me?”
Oh, Clark. He is even willing to forfeit love just to protect Lois and make life less difficult for her. But I get the feeling that if Lois marries this wonderful man she will know what it's really like to be truly loved.

Clark has thought quickly through "their" options within the few minutes after he was made aware of what was going on and has only provided reassurance for Lois with every "what if" that she brings up.

Nan, I am very interested to see where you go with this. Again, job well done. Another part soon please!

~Sheila

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Nan? Nan? wildguy wildguy wildguy

~Sheila

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Sheila - Nan posted in OT that she was going to have to evacuate due to the fires in the San Diego area. See the thread here.

Here's hoping she and her family and home are safe...
Carol

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard