Print Thread
#45323 08/08/07 07:04 PM
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Wow, Dandello! That's some story. Of course you have to wonder how Martha and Jonathan were ever allowed to adopt Clark the way they did. Wasn't their cover story too simple? Wasn't anyone interested in tracking the child? Wasn't there a lot of red tape involved?

I think you gave us a great explanation. I particularly like the idea that Martha and Jonathan were considered "radicals" because of their convictions:

The Kent family was well known in the area for its steadfast belief in equality and fair play.
And because of their beliefs, they had suffered convictions in the other sense of the word:

Only three years earlier, Martha and Jonathan Kent had been arrested for getting involved in a civil rights protest that had gone wrong. They had both served their sixty days in jail and only came home to take care of the farm after of the death of Jonathan's father, Eben. They had missed the funeral because they had chosen to stay in jail with the others who had been sentenced with them.
They had gone to jail because of their involvement in a civil rights protest that had gone wrong. Wow. And they had missed Jonathan's father's funeral.

Most people in Smallville didn't understand. Watkins did more than most and she was sure Eben had understood. He was a Kent, after all. His father had helped escaped slaves get to freedom.
I believe there was a comic like that some years ago. I may have bought it, but I barely read it, because Lois wasn't in it. (I'm hopeless that way.) But I remember the concept that Jonathan is descended from a line of freedom fighters and civil rights advocates. And how perfect it is that the people who would take care of a little space foundling would believe so firmly in the equal rights and worth of everyone. And what perfect ideals to instil in the little boy who would grow up to be faster than a speeding bullet, stronger than a locomotive and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound.

The ending confused me a little, even though I could see that Clark and, perhaps, also Lois had travelled back in time to watch Clark's arrival on Earth. Is that scene from another of your stories? I have to confess that I have stayed away from many of your stories, ever since you replaced Lois with a Kryptonian girl who was raised to be Lois. That ruined Lois for me, and if Lois is ruined, then so is the story. You noticed what I said about the comic book I had bought but never really read, because Lois wasn't in it.

Anyway. This was a most fascinating vignette. I loved your portrayals of Judge Amelia Watkins and Sheriff Will Beatty, too. If I got your story correctly, these two bent the law as far as it would bend without breaking to make sure that Martha and Jonathan would be allowed to adopt their little angel.

Beautiful, Dandello.

Ann

#45324 08/08/07 10:19 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Ann asked:
The ending confused me a little, even though I could see that Clark and, perhaps, also Lois had travelled back in time to watch Clark's arrival on Earth. Is that scene from another of your stories?
No. That's the ending to Season Two's episode "Tempus Fugitive." Tempus goes to Smallville in 1966 to kill the infant Kal-El, and Lois is actually the one to stop him. If you have a high-speed internet connection, I believe there are some sites where you could view those episodes online.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#45325 08/09/07 05:54 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Nice ending. smile1

When Life Gives You Green Velvet Curtains, Make a Green Velvet Dress.
#45326 08/09/07 06:35 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great story! drool

MAF hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
#45327 08/09/07 06:44 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
hyper Squeeee! Two FDK threads.

The whole car rental thing in Tempus Fugitive always bothered me - One of them would have had to show ID (and Lois hadn't even been born yet.) The dates on the license would have raised flags for somebody.

And even in 1966, there were procedures in place concerning foundlings. (Checking for missing children or missing pregnant women, that sort of thing. There are even procedures to verify that a claimed home-birth is in fact legitimate - doctor's records that the woman was pregnant, that sort of thing.)

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
#45328 08/09/07 07:40 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Sweeeeeet!

You know, I never even thought about all the loose ends they left behind after 'Tempus Fugitive'.

Excellent story!

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
#45329 08/09/07 08:12 AM
Columnist
Columnist
Amazing story--just beautiful. I also never thought about all those loose ends. I like the way you kind of tied them up.

clap Great job!

Silence is golden.
Duct tape is silver.

~Saw it on a T-Shirt.
#45330 08/09/07 08:38 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I agree with... well... everyone. I loved the whole premise. It tied up a lot of loose ends and made me think a little. I especially loved the cherub line. smile

--Laura

Thanks to CapeFetish for the awesome icon. smile
#45331 08/09/07 09:56 AM
A
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
A
I loved the way you teased out the loose ends from Tempus Fugitive! Great story!!

#45332 08/13/07 10:16 AM
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
After having had 3 home-births I can assure you that it would be hard to fake. Besides, can anyone in there right mind think that Martha could have claimed she'd been pregnant and nobody in small-town USA noticed?

Excellent take on canon.

Elisabeth

#45333 08/13/07 11:22 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally posted by Elisabeth:
After having had 3 home-births I can assure you that it would be hard to fake. Besides, can anyone in there right mind think that Martha could have claimed she'd been pregnant and nobody in small-town USA noticed?

Excellent take on canon.

Elisabeth
Thank you

As for the rules concerning home births - the Byrne Superman rewrite did exactly that - Baby Kal-El's birth matrix was recovered just before (or during) a massive snowstorm that snowed the Kents in for some time and when they finally made it back into town, Martha'd had a baby and nobody questioned that Jonathan could have delivered it safely or that Martha hadn't seen a doctor before hand. (I mean, I remember winters in Illinois. You might be snowed in for a couple weeks, but not a couple months, certainly not long enough to have an excuse for nobody noticing a pregnancy in a slender woman.)

As I understand the current rules on unattended births - unless there is outside confirmation that the woman really was pregnant and could have birthed the baby, genetic tests are required to prove that the baby and the mother are related. Until the relationship is confirmed, the state can consider the baby in question to be a foundling or a child in danger. There have been way too many instances of neonates being stolen out of hospitals, even out of their mother's wombs, for there not to be rules doctors and hospitals have to follow before a birth certificate can be issued.)

The way I figure it - the only way Jonathan and Martha could have kept Clark was if the local authorities were absolutely certain they were on the up and up about finding a baby abandoned in a field. smile1

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
#45334 08/13/07 01:58 PM
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
That John Byrne explanation always seemed off to me, too. It works even worse for LnC than it did for the comics. In the comics it was improbable enough, given that comic book Clark is so much taller and broader than the Kents, and that his natural colors are unlike theirs (blue eyes and black hair is an unlikely combination anyway). But in the LnC universe, it was so obvious that Dean Cain was too dark-colored to be the biological offspring of K Callan and Eddie Jones.

Back in 1968, a good friend of mine, a thirteen-year-old girl, shocked me and everybody else at school by suddenly announcing that she had just become a big sister. Her mother had given birth to a baby. Nobody had had a clue about her mother being pregnant. I had seen her mother numerous times up until only three or four weeks before her delivery, and I never noticed anything unusual about her, even though she actually was a slender woman! I suppose she didn't really show until very late in the pregnancy, and after that she must have worn the kinds of clothes that hid the shape of her body. For some reason the family had never told anyone about expecting another child. Maybe they had been unable to conceive another child for so many years and were superstitious about talking about this pregnancy? But the baby grew up looking much like her older sister, so I've never been in doubt about her descent. Still, I guess I can't guarantee that the two girls - now women, 52 and 39 years old - actually have the same parents.

But with a child looking as unlike his supposed parents as Dean Cain's Clark Kent did, being adopted is the only reasonable explanation.

Ann

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard