Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
I must say, I was positively surprised by Lois's reaction. I didn't expect her to take Dan's 'revelation' so well, or to actually state so clearly that the problems between Clark and her are something they have to work through. She's doesn't seem to intend to shut him out, or not let him explain himself. I just hope Clark doesn't act in his usual lunkhead way and doesn't mess up.

I've said it before, but I'll say it as many times as neccessary. I'm really enjoying the story; loved the premise, and I love the way you are handling it.

Looking forward to part 17!!!

Cris
Merriwether
Merriwether
DJ put in Angry Clark. Even I like to see him show some emotion other than passion once in a while.

Another interesting part.

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Good part, DJ. I'm really starting to feel sorry for Clark, because this truly is a sucky situation. How the heck do you work through something like this? I think you're playing it out very well.

P.S. Finally saw 50 First Revelations this week. Good movie, but I agree with the others that I hope this story doesn't end the same way the movie did!

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part! hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Columnist
Columnist
Playing catch up here...

The last two chapters were awesome. But one thought really sticks out in my mind.

Can I kill Dan? Maybe kick him at the very least? He's really starting to get on my nerves.

Looking forward to Lois and Clark's talk!

Silence is golden.
Duct tape is silver.

~Saw it on a T-Shirt.
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Well, finally some FDK, DJ!

“Lunch. Just let me take you to lunch and ask you a couple more questions.” Clark cringed inwardly. He couldn’t really afford to miss his lunch appointment with Lois, especially since Scardino was their appointment.

But he couldn’t afford to let Mandy leave either, without getting some information from her first.
Let's hope the information was worth it, Clark!

Lois frowned and looked back down at her menu. She really needed to get used to this. If she was going to be the future Mrs. Kent, she was going to have to prepare herself to sleep alone occasionally, to eat dinner across from an empty plate... to love someone who wouldn’t always have time to spend with her.

She knew all that, though. She had often fantasized about being Mrs. Superman. It was an idea that she had at first romanticized in her head. Imagine, a man who could fulfill your every wish. You wanted authentic Italian tonight? Voila! Forgot to chill the wine before dinner? No problem...

Locked your keys in your car and need a lift home?

Lois swallowed a smile with a drink of her coffee. But after a while, she had seen through the romantic veneer of her daydream and the reality had hit home. Even if she could have Superman, she would have to share him with everyone.
I love this. Lois really begins to understand what she is letting herself in for, if she marries Clark.

She realized, of course, that no matter who she married, she would have to share them to a certain extent. Every man had a past, had a family and friends, had a job... had a life.

But with Superman... with Clark... she would have to share him with the world. Was he worth it?

In her fantasy it was.

And in her reality? She knew it wouldn’t always be easy. But she couldn’t imagine anyone that she would rather share.

Certainly not a certain DEA agent...
Oh, I love it. I love Lois's love for Clark/Superman. But then, I always did. And this is so beautifully put.

“Hi, Lois. Am I late?” A voice asked from behind her.

...Dan Scardino.

“Hi, Dan. No, you’re not late. I was early.” Lois shifted uncomfortably in her chair and turned to look at him, forcing a smile to her lips.

Where was Clark?

Dan flashed a smile of his own at her. “So, where’s Kent? He stand you up again?”

Her frown quickly fell into a scowl.
Poor Lois.

Lois recoiled in shock. “Daniel Scardino, I’ll request that you keep your hands to yourself. I’m involved with Clark, or have you forgotten?”

Dan got a look of absolute confusion on his face. “But last night... I thought... You said...”

“I said what?” she exclaimed a little too loudly, noticing a few people turn to look at them.

Dan’s face flushed a little. “You said that you and Kent weren’t currently an item.”
To think she had to be told this way. Clark could have explained the situation to her. In particular, he could have told her that he did break up with her, but that he now knows that he made a terrible mistake, and he wants her back.

It had seemed to her like Clark had been acting strange today, as if he almost wasn’t sure what to do with himself. She had just brushed it off as part of his concern for her amnesia. But now...
Poor Lois. She has to think that Clark has been acting strangely, because he didn't know how to break it to her that they had broken up. And I wouldn't blame her if she starts thinking that Clark really doesn't want her.

No wonder Dan was perplexed. She was positively bewildered by the whole situation. But even so, she wasn’t jumping to any conclusions. She couldn’t just take Dan at his word. After all, she hadn’t written any of it down. There had to be a reason for that.
I'm glad that Lois isn't just going to take Dan at his word.

And there was no way of verifying any of it, until she could talk to Clark. Obviously Dan didn’t know *exactly* what was going on either. How could he? And that meant that Clark was the only one who could tell her for sure. Maybe they had just had a little fight and she had used Dan to get even? But that seemed too petty, even for her.
Yes, Lois, as is so often the case - Clark is the only one who can tell you.

Lois closed her eyes, trying to calm her mind. Clark, why didn’t you tell me? She could still feel Clark’s hands on her, his lips on her mouth... the eager desire in his actions.
Yes, why, Clark? Why didn't you tell her?

Lois felt claustrophobic all of the sudden and wanted to get out of the deli. She wanted to go somewhere – anywhere. She wanted to scream - she wanted to go find Clark and make him tell her everything.
Oh, poor Lois. I so thoroughly sympathize.

He sighed to himself. It was his own fault. He had gotten so wrapped up in what Lois had expected from him – what he was supposed to do with his second chance – that he had lost sight of the one thing that had mattered most.

That he had a second chance.
I'm so glad he realizes that he used his second chance so badly. Why, oh why do you have to keep lying to her, Clark??? (And don't tell me you weren't exactly lying. Misleading a person by deliberately keeping extremely important information away from them is not much better than telling outright lies.)

Lois finally turned to face him and she reached out and gave his hand a soft squeeze. “I’m sorry, Dan. Really, I am. I hate that I gave you the wrong impression.”

“How do you know that the impression you gave me last night was the wrong one? How do you know that wasn’t the right one – how you really feel?”

She started to withdraw her hand but Dan took hold of it. Determined to free it, she worked it loose from his grasp and gave him an apologetic smile. “I know how I feel right now,” she said softly but firmly. “I chose Clark. I’m in love with Clark. I don’t know what’s going on right now or what problems we may be having, but that’s between him and me.” And Clark was going to tell her just exactly what that was...
I love that Lois realizes that she loves Clark after all. Whatever has happened, she chose Clark over Dan.

Clark was on his way back to his desk when the elevator door opened and Lois entered the newsroom, followed by a somber-looking Scardino. Clark’s stomach did an abrupt drop before it hollowed completely out.

He caught Lois’s eye but her reaction was impassive. Swallowing involuntarily, he smiled weakly at her as she came down the ramp toward him.

“Sorry,” Clark said as her lips parted. He had a feeling he’d better practice saying that word - he was going to be saying it a lot more before the day was over.
I'm glad he's feeling guilty. He should.

Lois nodded, “I understand.” But her stance said otherwise.
She should stay aloof from him for now.

Lois started to turn away but Clark reached out and put one hand on her shoulder, halting her. He used his fingertips to gently pull her back towards him. “I’m sorry.”

“What are you sorry for, Clark?” Lois asked a little sharply. She really did want to know. Was he just sorry that he had missed lunch or was this some kind of precursor to the rest of the things he might be sorry for?

Clark dropped his head and let out a sigh. When he looked back up into Lois’s face, he could see the confusion there – the anticipation of his next words.

“Everything. I’m sorry for everything, Lois. I don’t know...”
Good, but not good enough, Clark. Not specific enough.

“But what does ‘everything’ mean?” There was an edge in her voice that cut through him. “I’m the one with amnesia, here, so I’m not exactly sure what’s going on or what you’re sorry for. Are you sorry that we broke up? Or are you sorry that Dan came back into my life? Maybe you’re just sorry for kissing me earlier on my couch?” She said the last words just above a whisper. The look on her face tore at his heart - Dan had told her.
I'm glad she is demanding that he should explain himself. Honestly, how is she to know what exactly he is sorry for?

“No. I’m not sorry for kissing you.” Clark reached for her hand but she pulled it away. He swallowed, trying to push past the breath that had caught in his throat. Not again. It couldn’t fall apart like this again. He stepped in closer to her and put a hand up to her face, cupping it tenderly. “Ask me anything. I’ll tell you. Anything you want to know, I promise. Just don’t pull away from me.” He leaned in closer to her, his lips almost touching her cheek. “Please,” he whispered softly.
I've been so angry at Clark throughout almost this whole fic so far. But here and now I can feel that he really does love her.

Hmmmm. Interesting. Clark has tried to win Lois and to woo Lois by keeping important information away from her. By keeping her in the dark. And not just in this fic, but throughout the first two seasons of LnC (not to mention how much he has lied to her in the comics and the movies). I hate it when he does that. But this strategy of secrecy is so ingrained in him that I must say that it was in character for him to use his second chance by immediately deciding to keep her in the dark again. She's got amnesia? Great - then there are all these important things that I can keep a secret from her. Because that is the best way to make her love me, and to make sure that everything is okay between us.

He watched her until she disappeared around the corner and then he picked up his notes and went inside the conference room. Dan came inside a couple of minutes later, pocketing his phone. “Girlfriend problems, Kent?”

Clark glared at him. “Scardino, I’m warning you...”

“I’d watch myself if I were you. If you can’t make up your mind where you stand with Lois,” Dan pointed a finger at him, “someone might just make it up for you.”

“Is that a threat?” Clark clenched and unclenched his fists. Dan had no idea who he was talking to. Clark had never picked a fight with anyone before, but he was seriously tempted right now.

“Just call it some friendly advice,” Dan told him, with a smirk.

“Advice? Here’s some advice for you – stay away from Lois.”
Oh, Clark. Lois doesn't love Dan - I can't believe that she does. She loves you. You are the one who has broken her heart and has driven her into the arms of Dan Scardino.

Clark, you don't have to warn Scardino. If you treat Lois with respect, if you tell her the truth about things and if you dare to admit your mistakes and ask forgiveness, she will happily stay with you instead of spending time with Scardino.

Okay! Maybe there is still hope for Clark. I hated that he broke up with Lois for her own good, and I totally hated that he wasn't honest with her when she gave him a second chance. Now, however, he seems genuinely sorry, and I don't doubt that he truly loves Lois. Let's hope that he has finally learnt his lesson.

Ann

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
“Hi, Lois. Am I late?” A voice asked from behind her.

...Dan Scardino.

“Hi, Dan. No, you’re not late. I was early.” Lois shifted uncomfortably in her chair and turned to look at him, forcing a smile to her lips.

Where was Clark?

Dan flashed a smile of his own at her. “So, where’s Kent? He stand you up again?”
I've never been a Dan-hater, but it does seem that he likes to get his digs in at every opportunity.

Dan got a look of absolute confusion on his face. “But last night... I thought... You said...”

“I said what?” she exclaimed a little too loudly, noticing a few people turn to look at them.

Dan’s face flushed a little. “You said that you and Kent weren’t currently an item.”

Lois grabbed for the table as the room abruptly seem to tilt. She closed her eyes, trying to regain her balance. Why would she have said that? Told him that?

Unless it was true? How could it be true?
Very descriptive.

Oh, and another unrelated thought from the last chapter. If Lois is concerned that there might be a reason for her amnesia that extends beyond the physical (I know Clark was worried about that), then why isn't she seeing Dr. Friskin again?

Lois frowned as she remembered them kissing on her couch. She had ignored the way Clark implied that he hadn’t kissed her or touched her like that in a while. He had actually said something along those lines to her – that he had missed kissing her and touching her.

She had been a little distracted at the time and had dismissed the comment. But now she realized that he had been *acting* the same way
There's the reporter's/women's intuition that we're so fond of. It just screams LOIS LANE, how she's finally starting to put things together on her own.

Lois had determined, at first, to ride the entire trip to the prison in silence. But after ten or fifteen minutes of smothering silence combined with her rising frustration at the congested noon-time traffic and having to ride as a passenger instead of driving, she had given up that idea in favor of debriefing Dan on where they were at on the story... and explaining her *situation* to him.
Every so often, Dan has been her ally. It only makes sense that she trusts him just a little bit now.

Dan nodded at her. “Okay, I can respect that. For now.”
See? Dan acted like her friend when he backed away in the show, and he acts like her friend here, as well. He even acts like her friend when he tells Clark to treat her well, although I can understand why Clark hears it as a threat.

I like the way the situation with Dr. Klein is playing out. He's always been a bit of a loner, and now he finds himself without an ally. I appreciate the way that Clark doggedly looks out for Klein's interests. Usually, that's Lois role, but it plays well with Clark, as well.

I also like how confused Clark has been on how to deal with his second chance and how much he values it as he sees it slipping through his fingers. Maybe if he had shown some of that self-control that Woody (it was you; wasn't it, Woody?) had said they needed earlier, he would find himself in a better position now.

Elisabeth

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard