Next Thread
Print Thread
#299477 03/17/24 01:12 AM
J
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
J
The In-Between Moments is a series that rewrites, elongates or adds scenes. Most of them take place in between major plot moments. Some of them slip easily into the ongoing canon, while others roll right into an alternative universe. They’re all one-shots, usually plot bunnies that strike when I’m supposed to be working on something else. They're short, not connected, and in no particular order -- and they usually have happy little endings. Usually.

This one is just a little walk through a decimated park.
Sometimes, this is what life feels like. And if you’re someone that’s surviving the passing of a loved one and living through your grief, you’re not alone.

I actually didn’t mean to save them in this one. But when Wells showed up, I shrugged and thought …ok. Everyone deserves a chance, even if they’re fictional. So I left him there with Clark to sort it out.

Any feedback is always very welcome, particularly constructive feedback. Very special thanks to KSaraSara, who bravely gave this a helpful and encouraging beta when she was already very busy and knew that the project might be a combination of static, sad or triggering. Any mistakes left are mine (and I’m totally cool with you mentioning them if you see them - I’ll eventually submit this one to the archive, so I appreciate any help catching them!).

Thanks for reading.
Evie

A
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
A
Thank you for putting Wells in at the end. Ineeded to see some hope after that. Oh so heartbreaking. Poor Clark. But very well written.
Would love to see this continued.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh this is heartbreaking. And I wondered if anyone had written this, a Nightfall version where Clark didn't save Earth and had to deal with the pieces. So glad Wells showed up in the end. Very well written.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
T
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
T
Wow. So bleak and desolate. Poor Clark.

But wait! There’s more! Wells at the end was the perfect sliver of hope.

Really hoping for a sequel.

Features Writer
Features Writer
😭😭😭😭

Blogger
Blogger
This was devastating but very well written!
My heart was breaking for Clark.
Thank goodness for Wells at the end!
Would love more!

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Evie!
There’s character death, though you don’t see it happen and I’m not sure I’d categorize it as a proper ‘wham!’
[…]
The dust hadn’t settled yet.
Is it about Pancake Lex?

Even for him, the dust made it hard to see. Bits of lead were scattered amongst, well, quite literally everything else.
No, something else…

He’d endured through the thick blackness of space and he’d hit the asteroid exactly on target.
Oooohhh… the title is a riff on All Shook Up.

The two major meteors that he’d created by splitting the original had hit the planet the hardest.

And they’d decimated it.
Didn’t you say it’s not a WHAM? Because that’s the sound-text in the comics, when a hard object slams into another object. See Batman, when he hits a bad guy.

But then, when Asgard failed, they’d waited until the asteroid had nearly been on top of them all before sending him, Earth’s last line of defense.
Sounds like a weird plan. Must have been the politicians in charge.

How did you tell time when there was… nothing?
You check the relative movement of the stars.

Maybe the darkness had been why he hadn’t healed more quickly. Nevertheless, that one unsteady but unwavering beam had fallen across his face.
That’s kind of sweet!

His was the only heartbeat left.
Awwwwww

He wished he hadn’t. He didn’t want his last image of her to be dusty, buried and broken, even if she had been huddled close together with Perry and Jimmy.

Now he hung here, immobile above the Planet, tethered to the stratosphere, neither able to drop down to the doomed planet that he couldn’t save nor travel upwards to the lost planet that had sent him here in the first place.

The silence was loud.
Beautifully sad!

Another graveyard planet.

[…]

The concrete was bisected by wrecked, twisted metal rods that had once been the globe of the Planet’s masthead. The remnants of the broken metal globe surrounded him.
Great imagery clap

He wondered if falling into the sun would hurt. Or would it merely charge and recharge him, healing him instantly to keep him from suffocating in the airless vacuum of space, and trapping him in a bright but unending stasis of misery – without her?
Maybe it’s like Prometheus. Living forever in pain. He gets burned, then heals, burns again, heals again,…

A whirring noise broke the silence.

He couldn’t quite connect it to the reality of it at first.

It was disorienting, to hear an intentional, mechanical sound after so long, outside of the erratic winds and distorted ebbing tides.
HGWells?

He blinked as a little man in a smudged brown coat and beaten bowler hat
I did wonder since it’s an IBM.

He finally came to a stop facing Clark, and his expression withered further, turning to sympathy.

“Oh, dear,” he said.
Yes, ‘oh dear’ indeed!

This was a great ficlet, Evie! Sad, with hope, and wonderful prose clap

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Evie

Your IBM stories are so heartfelt and beautiful. This one made me cry. All the desolation from the destruction of Earth and Clark had no one and nothing to turn to for comfort. It was his worst nightmare realized. He wanted to help, but despite his best efforts, could not.

Everything seemed beyond hope. frown Thank goodness H.G. Wells showed up when he did!

Last edited by Morgana; 03/20/24 04:09 PM.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
J
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
J
Thanks, everyone, for the feedback!

AmandaK, so happy that Wells' popping in at the end took the sting out of it! I don't have a sequel/development in mind for this one mostly because I can't think of anything interesting beyond Wells dropping him back in time to either get Lois/the Kents to wake him up after the fall (setting us right back into the episode) or getting Lois to help him to push the scientists into recalculating his trajectory... I'll keep it on the back-burner, but both of those options seem a little cut and dry right now. I really appreciate your kind words about the writing. Thank you!

bakasi, thank you so much! There are so many moments on the show where if just one thing goes wrong, the whole house of cards can fall down! It was interesting to play with one of them. Thanks so much for leaving feedback. It's always very much appreciated.

SuperBek, ❤️❤️❤️ - thanks for popping into the thread to comment!

90stvfangirl, Aww, thank you! That's so nice of you to say. 'Heartbreaking' is such a lovely compliment! If I think of anywhere clever for this to go, I'll add it to the WIP list. I just don't have any good ideas that don't lead straight back to the episode or that don't get resolved in under 1000 words. I've been posting a lot of shorter in between pieces, but in the background I'm putting a lot more time into much longer stories - much more my speed.

Michael, omg, I hadn't heard 'pancake Lex' yet and let me tell you it was TOO SOON. lol

Oooohhh… the title is a riff on All Shook Up.
Ding! Ding! Ding! Thank you for noticing!

Sounds like a weird plan. Must have been the politicians in charge.
lol ...they really wanted to make sure it was so close he couldn't miss.

You check the relative movement of the stars.
I don't think he can anymore exactly... I actually took this sentence out and justified it back in when I titled the axis.

That’s kind of sweet!
Thank you! I'd actually gone back in to add this line to the story after I thought this was 'done.' But it's literally the one beam of light that's also a little metaphor for Wells coming in (for me - not meant to be spotted).

Beautifully sad!
Thank you!

Great imagery
Thank you again!! blush

Maybe it’s like Prometheus...
Exactly! thumbsup

This was a great ficlet, Evie! Sad, with hope, and wonderful prose
Thank you so much. I really appreciate that. blush

Morgana, that is so terribly sweet of you. I'm so happy that this one moved you. And, yes, it was absolutely his worst nightmare - failing to protect so badly that there was no one else left to care for. Thank you for commenting. I really appreciate the kindness!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard