Print Thread
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
Hey, y’all! I was searching for a rule on something to do with dialogue tags, and I came across the great article! There are some really good tips in here for *when* and *why* to vary things up. Especially this quote from the beginning:

Generally, there are two camps:

1. Only use “said” and never anything else, because it distracts from what the person is saying/the narrative otherwise.

2. He said/she said can feel dull and repetitive if that’s all the author uses, so shake it up with words like whispered, shouted, etc. It will keep things from feeling monotonous and engage the reader.

Check out the whole article here

And feel free to discuss! I know I’m always struggling with dialogue tags, especially that example they list at the beginning: “(name) said (adverb here).” So, for example, “Susan said angrily.”

Sara smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
This is a very good article, one which should be referenced often by all authors irrespective of their skill and experience levels. But the author of the article missed one.

Originally Posted by Nobody
"Get away from me!" Lois yelled at Lex, pushing him across the room.

It's a bad idea to put action in a speech tag because it's very easy to put too much in it and have your character speaking while performing circus tricks and making dinner all at the same time.

Here's how I'd rewrite the above example (and it's referenced in the article).

Originally Posted by Not Anybody
Lois pushed Lex across the room. "Get away from me!"

It puts the action first and implicitly tells the reader that Lois is agitated and is almost surely shouting. It's an example of an implicit speech tag (mentioned in the article), one which is not specifically written out, but there's little doubt that Lois is the one telling Lex to get away from her.

The advice to read dialogue aloud is excellent. If a two-scene (just two central characters) is well-written, the speech will flow almost musically.

Oh! One more. In a two-scene, the author doesn't have to identify each speaker every time one speaks. Nor must the characters continually address each other by name. It's good if it's in the dialogue flow, but it's distracting if it's every time the speaker (NOT the point of view) changes.

Originally Posted by Faux Author
"There's no time like the present, Lois," Clark said.

"And there's no present like time, Clark." said Lois.

"Yet we have all the time we need, Lois," said Clark.

"But it's still never enough, Clark," Lois said.

It's too easy to be distracted from whatever they're actually discussing. An actual conversation would not sound like the above (totally made-up) quote.

Anyway, all writers should strive to improve their skills. No author is perfect. The best we can do is to be better than we were in the last story.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard