Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#1 Verity by Colleen Hoover

Lowen Ashleigh is a struggling writer on the brink of financial ruin when she accepts the job offer of a lifetime. Jeremy Crawford, husband of bestselling author Verity Crawford, has hired Lowen to complete the remaining books in a successful series his injured wife is unable to finish.

Lowen arrives at the Crawford home, ready to sort through years of Verity's notes and outlines, hoping to find enough material to get her started. What Lowen doesn't expect to uncover in the chaotic office is an unfinished autobiography Verity never intended for anyone to read. Page after page of bone-chilling admissions, including Verity's recollection of what really happened the day her daughter died.

Pretty good thriller. After all the hype, I was expecting a little more. Still, it was very entertaining.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#2 The Messy Lives of Book People by Phaedra Patrick

Mother of two college age boys who is a house cleaner for her favorite author has been asked to helped write her next book. Lighter books can be equally fun and entertaining but credibility was stretched well beyond reasonable limits for me. I can't believe this was a book club book - I have no idea what we'll talk about.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#3 The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid

Aging and reclusive Hollywood movie icon Evelyn Hugo is finally ready to tell the truth about her glamorous and scandalous life. But when she chooses unknown magazine reporter Monique Grant for the job, no one is more astounded than Monique herself. Why her? Why now?

While this was an engaging story, I wish the writer had gone into more depth with the characters.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#4 The Lies I tell by Julie Clark

Meg Williams. Maggie Littleton. Melody Wilde. Different names for the same person, depending on the town, depending on the job. She's a con artist who erases herself to become whoever you need her to be―a college student. A life coach. A real estate agent. Nothing about her is real. She slides alongside you and tells you exactly what you need to hear, and by the time she's done, you've likely lost everything.

Kat Roberts has been waiting ten years for the woman who upended her life to return. And now that she has, Kat is determined to be the one to expose her. But as the two women grow closer, Kat's long-held assumptions begin to crumble, leaving Kat to wonder who Meg's true target is.

Pretty good thriller. I'd read more from the author.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#5 Maxed Out: American Moms on the Brink by Katrina Alcorn

A working mom discusses the challenges of managing a career, a home and family.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
#1 Kingdom Keepers 6 - Dark Passage by Ridley Pearson

The Keepers continue their efforts to battle the Overtakers aboard the Disney Dream cruise ship, including a desperate attempt to stop the OTs from waking Chernabog, the most evil villain Walt Disney ever created.

Still enjoying the series, but I'll admit I'm very over the cruise storyline. I miss seeing the Keepers running around the parks that I so dearly love.

#2 The Trials of Apollo - The Lost Oracle by Rick Riordan

The god Apollo is banished to Earth in the form of a gawky teenager. He meets a young street urchin named Meg and makes his way to Camp Half-Blood, where he is tasked with a quest to save the Oracles that have fallen into enemy hands since the war with the Titans.

I'll admit it - I love Rick Riordan books. I don't care that they are young adult books, the blending of mythology with the modern world is intoxicating and even Apollo's less than enjoyable nature is made palatable by the wonderful humor injected into his viewpoint. I can't wait to read more.

#3 Almost There by Farrah Rochon

What if Tiana had made a deal with Dr. Facilier in The Princess and the Frog? And what if it was now time to pay the price for that deal?

I enjoyed this one, I think mostly because of how true all of the characters rang. I also liked how it wasn't a random coincidence alternate dimension kind of thing, but that everything that happened was a direct result of a decision Tiana made in the original story.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#6 More than You'll ever Know by Katie's Gutierrez

Cassie, a young journalist with a dark past, sees an opportunity when she reads about Lore Rivera, a woman who had two husbands. One husband killed the one. People on Goodreads complained this wasn't really a thriller but it held my attention.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#7 Any Other Family by Eleanor Brown

In order to maintain a bond between biological siblings, three couples create an unusual family.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#8 The Chemistry of Love by Sariah Wilson

Anna, a makeup chemist, conspires with the company CEO, to attract the man of her dreams.

Very silly but a good distraction.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#9 If You Tell by Gregg Olsen

Disturbing true crime story about Shelly Knotek who grossly abused her children and killed several others. Gets you thinking more about what's going on in people's heads in those situations. The fear of being caught by their mother preventing them from speaking for so long. Heartbreaking story.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#10 Why Birds Sing by Nina Berkhout

After an opera singer has a very public lousy performance and she learns her husband is cheating on her, she must reinvent herself.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#11 Ask Yes Again by Mary Beth Keane

Story follows the lives of two Irish cops and their families through the years. Many tragedies occur. Likeable characters.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#12 Flight Risk by Joy Castro

Isabel Morales is a successful Chicago sculptor hiding a brutal family history—one not even her husband knows. After decades of turning her back on her past, she’s forced to return to Appalachia when she receives news of her estranged mother’s death.

But going back means revisiting the traumatic childhood she escaped—and the family that cast her out when she needed them most. Back on the land she has inherited, she’s flooded with memories of the forest where she once roamed free, of her beloved lost brother, and of the old house in the West Virginia hills where she grew up. Her mother has left her another legacy, too, which reveals secrets that Isabel is only beginning to understand.

This book was different that what I expected. I got annoyed with this character but I suppose the author provided sufficient foundation to account for her behavior.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#13 The Personal Librarian by Marie Benedict and Victoria Christopher Murray

In her twenties, Belle da Costa Greene is hired by J. P. Morgan to curate a collection of rare manuscripts, books, and artwork for his newly built Pierpont Morgan Library. Belle becomes a fixture on the New York society scene and one of the most powerful people in the art and book world, known for her impeccable taste and shrewd negotiating for critical works as she helps build a world-class collection.

But Belle has a secret, one she must protect at all costs. She was born not Belle da Costa Greene but Belle Marion Greener. She is the daughter of Richard Greener, the first Black graduate of Harvard and a well-known advocate for equality. Belle's complexion isn't dark because of her alleged Portuguese heritage that lets her pass as white—her complexion is dark because she is African American.

Not a bad read. Got a little bogged down with too many details about old books.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#14 The Perfect Marriage by Geneva Rose

The fact that the subtitle of this book was: A Completely Gripping Psychological Suspense had me suspecting this wouldn't be a high quality read. When her husband is accused of murdering his mistress, only the wife can defend him. Lots of lousy people. I don't think this author understands how an unreliable narrator works.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#15 After I Do by Taylor Jenkins Reid

After six years of marriage, Lauren and Ryan can't stand each other. In an attempt to save their marriage, they decide to separate for a year. While I enjoyed the story, some of it didn't ring true to me.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#16 The Unraveling of Cassidy Holmes by Elissa Sloane

Cassidy Holmes, first runner up in an American Idol type contest, is asked to join a promising girl band that hits it big. Fifteen years later, she committed suicide. The book alternates between the past and current day, from the pov of the four girls in the group. Lots of emphasis on the darker side of fame. Some plot points could've been better fleshed out.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#17 It Ends with Us by Colleen Hoover

Girl meets guy. Guy is abusive. What should she do?

After seeing huge displays of this writer's work in airports and reading Verity, I was curious about this author's other work. While abusive relationships are a serious topuc, this story seemed aimed for more drama than reality. I wasn't overly impressed.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#18 Sparks like Stars by Nadia Hashimi

Fictional account of a young Afghan girl who witnessed the death of her family during a military coop.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
#4 The Trials of Apollo - The Dark Prophecy by Rick Riordan

#5 The Trials of Apollo - The Burning Maze by Rick Riordan

#6 Kingdom Keepers #7 - The Insider by Ridley Pearson

#7 Medusa by Jessie Burton

Hated this one. It's A YA book I happened to see in the library and thought it might be cool to see the who Medusa had once been and how she was changed into a gorgon. This kinda told her story but in an AU kind of way - she has no idea she can turn people into stone and falls in love with Perseus when he washes ashore on her island. (They chat behind a screen of rocks.) Medusa winds up accidentally turning Perseus into stone instead of the real myth where he cuts off her head. Medusa gets 100% painted as a pathetic lovestruck fool.

#8 The Evil Dead 40th Anniversary Edition by Mark Verheiden and John Bolton

A graphic novel version of the beloved cult classic. I wanted to love it, but it was simply just "okay." I don't mind the retelling, but basic facts were overlooked/changed for no reason. Cheryl is Ash's sister in the movies (a VERY important fact), but here, she's simply a friend of Linda, Ash's girlfriend. And here Ash basrely tolerates Scotty, who is his best friend in the films. Overall, the changes annoyed the heck out of me. (I've been a "Deadite" for roughly 26 years now.) The art style was weird - a mix of comic booky and almost realistic. And the few moments where we see Ash and Linda in flashbacks were too few to really matter much.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#19 Unspeakable by Jessica Willis Fisher

Jessica, A member of a family band that traveled the country and had their own TLC reality show, shares her horrifying story of sexual and emotional abuse at the hands of her father. Very disturbing story. Gave me more insight into how people process such trauma and how it affects them.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#20 The First Husband by Laura Dave

Annie has been with Nick for five years when he tells her he wants to take a break. Almost immediately, she meets Griffin, who she married within four months. She is torn between what to do with her job and which man to stay with.

Annie's indecision was annoying. Her thought process was all over the place.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#21 This Time Tomorrow by Emma Straub

[
On the eve of her 40th birthday, Alice's life isn't terrible. She likes her job, even if it isn't exactly the one she expected. She's happy with her apartment, her romantic status, her independence, and she adores her lifelong best friend. But her father is ailing, and it feels to her as if something is missing. When she wakes up the next morning she finds herself back in 1996, reliving her 16th birthday. But it isn't just her adolescent body that shocks her, or seeing her high school crush, it's her dad: the vital, charming, 40-something version of her father with whom she is reunited. Now armed with a new perspective on her own life and his, some past events take on new meaning. Is there anything that she would change if she could?

I love this trope! I'm a sucker for 'what if you could change the past'. I liked that this focused on the relationship between the main character and her dad but I would've liked to see more growth on her part.

Last edited by scifiJoan; 03/31/23 01:05 PM.
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#22 Recursion by Blake Crouch

While studying how to isolate memories for Alzheimer's patients, Helena discovers a way to time travel to different points of her life. The use and consequences of this technology get crazy! Very cool.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
#9 Durotan by Christie Golden

In the world of Draenor, the strong and fiercely independent Frostwolf Clan are faced with increasingly harsh winters and thinning herds. When Gul’dan, a mysterious outsider, arrives in Frostfire Ridge offering word of new hunting lands, Durotan, the Clan’s chieftain, must make an impossible decision: abandon the territory, pride and traditions of his people, or lead them into the unknown.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. As a huge WoW fan and proud member of the Horde myself, it was fun to witness the first, tense meetings with Gul'dan, as well as the rejections he is given by both Durotan's father and Durotan himself. I really felt like the characters were perfectly captured and the reasoning behind Durotan's ultimate decision to follow Gul'dan into Azeroth was well thought out.

#10 Citizen Alex: Let Freedom Ring by Bruce Campbell

Americans love to claim that they are patriots. But, what exactly is a patriot? Someone willing to die for their country? Someone willing to criticize the country they love? Or is patriotism as simple as paying your taxes?My version of a patriot is Alexander Madison, direct descendant of James Madison, the Father of the US Constitution. By day, Alex is a proofreader, but his hobbies are varied and eclectic - each with an eye toward history - and one of them lands him in hot water. Part of a team of re-enactors, Alex becomes mistaken for a group of ant-government separatists with an eye toward succession on, of all days, the 4th of July.Alex is only a civilian, but the depth of his historical perspective helps him join forces with the FBI and foil a massive plot designed to re-write American history - and not in a good way. Fun, timely and a tad snarky, Citizen Alex: Let Freedom Ring might just make you a patriot!

I usually very much enjoy Bruce's writing, but this one (more of a short story than a true novel) just felt "off" for me. The pacing was awkward and far too fast - like it was written under a tight deadline with no time to flesh out characters, plot, or anything else, really. The sentence structure was often far too simplistic and bland, compared to the way he normally writes. Overall, I walked away feeling very "meh" about this one.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#23 Dopamine Nation: Finding Balance in the Age of Indulgence” by Anna Lembke, M.D.

Dr. Anna Lembke, psychiatrist and author, explores the exciting new scientific discoveries that explain why the relentless pursuit of pleasure leads to pain...and what to do about it. Condensing complex neuroscience into easy-to-understand metaphors, Lembke illustrates how finding contentment and connectedness means keeping dopamine in check.

Interesting read.

Last edited by scifiJoan; 04/26/23 07:45 PM.
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#24 Hamnet by Maggie O'Farrel

Warwickshire in the 1580s. Agnes is a woman as feared as she is sought after for her unusual gifts. She settles with her husband in Henley street, Stratford, and has three children: a daughter, Susanna, and then twins, Hamnet and Judith. The boy, Hamnet, dies in 1596, aged eleven. Four years or so later, the husband writes a play called Hamlet.

I'm not a big Shakespeare fan, nor am I a huge historical fiction fan. Yet I can enjoy both. This book...was a struggle to complete. I never would've picked it on my own but I didn't show up at the book club meeting where we were being assigned books to host. I hated this book. It bounced all over the place in time (and frankly, I read a lot and can handle this technique when it's done well). Lots of cryptic, "Had he only known..." with no follow up. Three people's viewpoints on the exact same trivial moments. Tons and tons of excessive description. An entire chapter devoted to describing the journey of a flea that carried a disease. And the plot could be summed up in one paragraph.

Should be an interesting book club meeting.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
#11 Far From Agrabah by Aisha Saeed

Aladdin and Jasmine spend a few days in the imaginary kingdom of Ababawa.

An okay, kinda dumb and predictable read, but it could nicely fit in with either the real movie (that is the 1992 animated masterpiece) or that live action imposter.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Columnist
Columnist
I gave myself a goal of reading 12 books in 2023. I have already beat that and updated my goal to 20. Now it's May and I am already up to 19 books. One great one I read is Malibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins Reid. I am going to update my goal once again to 35 books.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
Originally Posted by CarrieRene
I gave myself a goal of reading 12 books in 2023. I have already beat that and updated my goal to 20. Now it's May and I am already up to 19 books. One great one I read is Malibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins Reid. I am going to update my goal once again to 35 books.

Great job CarrieRene! Taylor Jenins Reid has written some good books. Have you read "The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo?"

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#25 Reckless Girls by Rachel Hawkins

When Lux McAllister and her boyfriend, Nico, are hired to sail two women to a remote island in the South Pacific, it seems like the opportunity of a lifetime. Stuck in a dead-end job in Hawaii, and longing to travel the world after a family tragedy, Lux is eager to climb on board The Susannah and set out on an adventure. She’s also quick to bond with their passengers, college best friends Brittany and Amma. The two women say they want to travel off the beaten path. But like Lux, they may have other reasons to be seeking an escape.

Not bad for a thriller. More character development than I was expecting.

#26 All That is Mine I Carry With Me by William Landay

One afternoon in November 1975, ten-year-old Miranda Larkin comes home from school to find her house eerily quiet. Her mother is missing. Nothing else is out of place. There is no sign of struggle. Her mom's pocketbook remains in the front hall, in its usual spot.

So begins a mystery that will span a lifetime. What happened to Jane Larkin?

I've read other books by this author so I was disappointed by this one. It just didn't come together for me.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
#12 The Tyrant's Tomb by Rick Riordan

Apollo and friends must confront an undead zombie king from Ancient Rome in order to defend Camp Jupiter.

#13 A Summer To Die by Lois Lowry

Two sisters are forced to move for a summer. There, the health of one declines while the other comes to make friends with the old man who rented their family the house.

The book was nothing special and focused more on the healthy sister and her photography hobby than anything else. It could have used a bit more focus on the dying sister.

#14 Gossamer by Lois Lowry

Ever wonder how we wind up dreaming about the things we dream about?

Cute book with a short but rich story and mythos.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#27 Now is not the Time to Panic by Kevin Wilson

Sixteen-year-old Frankie Budge—aspiring writer, indifferent student, offbeat loner—is determined to make it through yet another sad summer in Coalfield, Tennessee, when she meets Zeke, a talented artist who has just moved into his grandmother’s unhappy house and who is as lonely and awkward as Frankie is. Romantic and creative sparks begin to fly, and when the two jointly make an unsigned poster, shot through with an enigmatic phrase, it becomes unforgettable to anyone who sees it. The edge is a shantytown filled with gold seekers. We are fugitives, and the law is skinny with hunger for us.

The posters begin appearing everywhere, and people wonder who is behind them. Satanists, kidnappers—the rumors won’t stop, and soon the mystery has dangerous repercussions that spread far beyond the town. The art that brought Frankie and Zeke together now threatens to tear them apart.

This book didn't do much for me. The author captured the feelings of teenagers well - their fears and feelings of not fitting in. Otherwise, the plot tended to drag and the tie-in to present day was a complete letdown.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#28 Daisy Jones and the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid

Everyone knows DAISY JONES & THE SIX, but nobody knows the reason behind their split at the absolute height of their popularity . . . until now.

Daisy is a girl coming of age in L.A. in the late sixties, sneaking into clubs on the Sunset Strip, sleeping with rock stars, and dreaming of singing at the Whisky a Go Go. The sex and drugs are thrilling, but it’s the rock ’n’ roll she loves most. By the time she’s twenty, her voice is getting noticed, and she has the kind of heedless beauty that makes people do crazy things.

Also getting noticed is The Six, a band led by the brooding Billy Dunne. On the eve of their first tour, his girlfriend Camila finds out she’s pregnant, and with the pressure of impending fatherhood and fame, Billy goes a little wild on the road.

Daisy and Billy cross paths when a producer realizes that the key to supercharged success is to put the two together. What happens next will become the stuff of legend.

This book had an unusal format. It reminded me of the VHS Behind the Music shows where you just hear people talking about the events, giving their versions. It was a quick engaging read. The characters were interesting but their actions didn't quite ring true to me. They behaved more idealized than real people would under similar circumstances. Great beach read!

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#29 The Second Husband by Kate White

Recovering from the unsolved murder of her first husband, Derrick, thirtysomething Emma Hawke has built a new life with Tom, a handsome, successful, and loving widower who finally makes her feel safe again.

Then one day a police detective shows up at their house on the Connecticut shore, asking questions about Derrick's death. Emma was sure she'd been cleared in the days after the tragedy. So why is law enforcement taking another look now--and questioning the timing of her relationship with Tom? She hadn't even met him until after Derrick's death.

Average thriller with a so-so ending.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
#15 The Hobbit - An Illustrated Edition by Charles Dixon and Sean Deming, Illustrated by David Wenzel

A fun graphic novel version of the book with text lifted directly from the source material. Some of the illustrations were a little weird, but I'm biased after having watched and rewatched the Peter Jackson movies (which were flawed but amazing).

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
30 The Bookwoman of Troublesome Creek by Kim Michelle Richardson

Blue Kentucky woman experiences prejudice while bringing books via her pack mule to people in rural Kentucky.

I've read other books about the pack mule library women. Better books. I'm not a fan of authentic dialogue used throughout the entire book.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#31 The Lost Slayer by Christopher Golden

Buffy Summers's adjustment to life at U.C. Sunnydale has not gone smoothly. She feels awkward, insecure, and jealous that Willow's all over the college life. So when she is visited by a prophecy of impending danger, the timing couldn't be worse. There's plenty of evil afoot as it is: a unified troop of vampires has descended upon Sunnydale, and tension between Buffy and Willow gets in the way of demon hunting.

Before long, a single moment of bad judgment catapults Buffy into an alternate future dimension where vampires reign supreme. Imprisoned in the body of her 24-year-old-self -- and confronting friends and foes the likes of which she'd never imagined -- the Slayer must uncover her past misstep and correct it, or risk facing a terrifying monster that she herself has created....

Generally, I prefer to read fanfiction rather than mass marketed media tie-ins. Usually, the writers are very restricted on plot and character development. But this compilation of four books was a pleasant surprise. It did a great job with the characters and managed to create an intense situation yet believably bring the characters back within canon.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#32 Ms. Demeanor by Elinor Lipman

Jane Morgan is a valued member of her law firm--or was, until a prudish neighbor, binoculars poised, observes her having sex on the roof of her NYC apartment building. Police are summoned, and a punishing judge sentences her to six months of home confinement. With Jane now jobless and rootless, trapped at home, life looks bleak. Yes, her twin sister provides support and advice, but mostly of the unwelcome kind. When a doorman lets slip that Jane isn't the only resident wearing an ankle monitor, she strikes up a friendship with fellow white-collar felon Perry Salisbury. As she tries to adapt to life within her apartment walls, she discovers she hasn't heard the end of that tattletale neighbor--whose past isn't as decorous as her 9-1-1 snitching would suggest. Why are police knocking on Jane's door again? Can her house arrest have a silver lining? Can two wrongs make a right?

Silly but good for an airplane read.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#33 Love Marriage by Monica Ali

Yasmin, a young Indian doctor, is engaged to white, Joe. While this book gives some interesting cultural insights upon mixing these two families, it was too broad in focus. Some tragedy. Some comedy? Dysfunctional family relationships. A bit uneven. I wasn't thrilled with the resolution either.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#34 Dawn by Octavia Butler

Lilith Iyapo has just lost her husband and son when atomic fire consumes Earth—the last stage of the planet’s final war. Hundreds of years later Lilith awakes, deep in the hold of a massive alien spacecraft piloted by the Oankali—who arrived just in time to save humanity from extinction. They have kept Lilith and other survivors asleep for centuries, as they learned whatever they could about Earth. Now it is time for Lilith to lead them back to her home world, but life among the Oankali on the newly resettled planet will be nothing like it was before.

One of my favorite scifi series.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
#16 The Tower of Nero by Rick Riordan

The last of the Apollo trials. Apollo must take down the last remaining emperor, Nero, and confront his old enemy, Python, in order to restore the Oracle of Delphi.

Overall, the Apollo series was fun. I certainly liked it more than the second series, which focused on new, but Roman, heroes. While some old friends popped in and out of the Apollo series, it was nice to see the books mainly focused on the unfortunate god-turned-mortal. I look forward to reading more of his work.

#17 Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

Two girls (friends, one Jewish, one not) living in Denmark, must live with the reality of the Nazis who have invaded their homeland. And when they start rounding up the Jewish people in the area, the girls must work together to help smuggle the Jewish girl's face out of the country to save their lives.

Honestly, I was disappointed with the book. While, yes, it's for kids, I felt it was too "neat" and "soft" for what was actually going on during that period of time. I wanted something a little heavier, a little more profound, something that would stick with me in my mind for longer. I can't even remember the kids' names because it just didn't make a huge impact.

#18 Bless This Mouse by Lois Lowry

Hilldegarde is a church mouse. She and roughly 200 others live in a church and must stay out of sight at all times, in order to avoid the Big X (extermination). But one day, it is noticed by people that there are multiple mice around, and the Big X is scheduled to happen. As their leader, Hildegarde must devise a plan to save them all, while also knowing that the blessing of the animals (feast day of St, Francis of Assisi, Oct 4) is coming, and with that...cats.

A cute little read that took me all of 2 or 3 nights.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#35. The Grace Year by Kim Leggett

In a fantasy realm or alt reality where women's rights are severely limited, women are sent away at age 17 to burn off their magic. Maybe I've read too many of these or I've been too distracted, this one didn't do much for me. On the other hand, my daughter enjoyed it.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#36 The Twilight Wife by A. J. Banner

Marine biologist Kyra Winthrop remembers nothing about the diving accident that left her with a complex form of memory loss. With only brief flashes of the last few years of her life, her world has narrowed to a few neighbors on the island where she lives with her devoted husband.

But when Kyra begins having visions—or are they memories?—of a rocky marriage, broken promises, and cryptic relationships with the island residents she believes to be her friends, she can’t help but wonder if her new life is all a carefully constructed lie.

Maybe I've read too many of these books, but I felt like I've already read this plot multiple times in the past. And seen it done much better. Even the Lifetime movie version was better than this.

#37 When We Were Bright and Beautiful by Jullian Medoff

Cassie Quinn may only be twenty-three, but she knows a few things. One: money can't buy happiness, but it's certainly better to have it. Two: family matters most. Three: her younger brother Billy is not a rapist.

When Billy, a junior at Princeton, is arrested for assaulting his ex-girlfriend, Cassie races home to Manhattan to join forces with her big brother Nate and their parents, Lawrence and Eleanor. The Quinns scramble to hire the best legal minds money can buy, but Billy fits the all-too-familiar sex-offender profile--white, athletic, and privileged--that makes headlines and sways juries.

Meanwhile, Cassie struggles to understand why Billy's ex Diana would go this far, even if the breakup was painful. And she knows how the end of first love can destroy someone: Her own years-long affair with a powerful, charismatic man left her shattered, and she's only recently regained her footing.

As reporters converge outside their Upper East Side landmark building, the Quinns gird themselves for a media-saturated trial, and Cassie vows she'll do whatever it takes to save Billy. But what if that means exposing her own darkest secrets to the world?

This book was highly engaging. You knew something was off with the family and there were little hints provided all along the way to the reveal.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#38 The Plot by Jean Hanff Korelitz

Jacob Finch Bonner was once a promising young novelist with a respectably published first book. Today, he’s teaching in a third-rate MFA program and struggling to maintain what’s left of his self-respect; he hasn’t written—let alone published—anything decent in years. When Evan Parker, his most arrogant student, announces he doesn’t need Jake’s help because the plot of his book in progress is a sure thing, Jake is prepared to dismiss the boast as typical amateur narcissism. But then . . . he hears the plot.

Jake returns to the downward trajectory of his own career and braces himself for the supernova publication of Evan Parker’s first novel: but it never comes. When he discovers that his former student has died, presumably without ever completing his book, Jake does what any self-respecting writer would do with a story like that—a story that absolutely needs to be told.

In a few short years, all of Evan Parker’s predictions have come true, but Jake is the author enjoying the wave. He is wealthy, famous, praised and read all over the world. But at the height of his glorious new life, an e-mail arrives, the first salvo in a terrifying, anonymous campaign: You are a thief, it says.

I could say a lot about this one, both good and bad. The idea of a plot that's totally unique doesn't really make sense. Give ten people a vague plot outline and they'll write ten different books. There was an interesting turn of events that I did see coming.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
,#39 The Damage by Caityn Wahrer

When a small town family is pushed to the brink, how far will they go to protect their own?

Interesting crime drama. Not overly compelling reading.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#40 All My Knotted-Up Life: A Memoir by Beth Moore

New York Times best-selling author, speaker, visionary, and founder of Living Proof Ministries Beth Moore has devoted her whole life to helping women across the globe come to know the transforming power of Jesus. An established writer of many acclaimed books and Bible studies for women on spiritual growth and personal development, Beth now unveils her own story in a much-anticipated debut memoir.

While I've done some of her Bible studies, I didn't know much about Beth Moore. This book provided insights into some very real struggles she's dealt with.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#41 The Second Shift by Arlie Russell Hochschild

Fifteen years after its first publication, The Second Shift remains just as important and relevant today as it did then. As the majority of women entered the workforce, sociologist and Berkeley professor Arlie Hochschild was one of the first to talk about what really happens in dual-career households. Many people were amazed to find that women still did the majority of childcare and housework even though they also worked outside the home. Now, in this updated edition with a new introduction from the author, we discover how much things have, or have not, changed for women today.

The writer presents several chapters focusing on individual dual-income couples and their coping strategies regarding jobs, family life and child care. The lack of change of so many years is a little sad.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#42 The Younger Wife by Sally Hepworth

THE HUSBAND
A heart surgeon at the top of his field, Stephen Aston is getting married again. But first he must divorce his current wife, even though she can no longer speak for herself.

THE DAUGHTERS
Tully and Rachel Aston look upon their father’s fiancée, Heather, as nothing but an interloper. Heather is younger than both of them. Clearly, she’s after their father’s money.

THE FORMER WIFE
With their mother in a precarious position, Tully and Rachel are determined to get to the truth about their family’s secrets, the new wife closing in, and who their father really is.

THE YOUNGER WIFE[
Heather has secrets of her own. Will getting to the truth unleash the most dangerous impulses in all of them?

Average thriller.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#43 Adulthood Rites by Octavia Butler

Nuclear war had nearly destroyed mankind when the Oankali came to the rescue, saving humanity—but at a price. The Oankali survive by mixing their DNA with that of other species, and now on Earth they have permitted no child to be born without an Oankali parent. The first true hybrid is a boy named Akin—son of Lilith Iyapo— and to the naked eye he looks human, for now. He is born with extraordinary sensory powers, understanding speech at birth, speaking in sentences at two months old, and soon developing the ability to see at the molecular level. More powerful than any human or Oankali, he will be the architect of both races’ intergalactic future. But before he can carry this new species into the stars, Akin must decide which unlucky souls will stay behind.

Just as good on the second read.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#44 Swear on this life by Renee Carling

Aspiring writer Emi is shocked when she reads a book that describes her abusive childhood. She tracks down the writer whom she hasn't seen for years. I thought this story had more potential. The characters were immature and the plot was predictable.

#45 I liked my life by Abby fabiaschi

Maddy has died but is somehow able to observe and influence her grieving family who are floored by her apparent suicide. Thought this had potential for more depth.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#46 The Latecomer: a novel by Jean Hanff Korelitz

The Latecomer follows the story of the wealthy, New York City-based Oppenheimer family, from the first meeting of parents Salo and Johanna, under tragic circumstances, to their triplets born during the early days of IVF. As children, the three siblings--Harrison, Lewyn, and Sally--feel no strong familial bond and cannot wait to go their separate ways, even as their father becomes more distanced and their mother more desperate. When the triplets leave for college, Johanna, faced with being truly alone, makes the decision to have a fourth child. What role will the “latecomer” play in this fractured family?

The people in this family were highly dysfunctional. I wasn't highly invested in any of the characters.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#47 Dirty Laundry by Disha Bose

Ciara Dunphy has it all--a loving husband, well-behaved children, and a beautiful home. Her circle of friends in their small Irish village go to her for tips about mothering, style, and influencer success--a picture-perfect life is easy money on Instagram. But behind the filters, reality is less polished.

Then Ciara is found murdered in her own pristine home, and the house of cards she'd worked so hard to build comes crumbling down. Everyone seems to have something to gain from Ciara's death, so if they don't want the blame, it may be the perfect time to air their enemies' dirty laundry.

Okay thriller. Not likeable characters.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#48 If We're Being Honest by Cat Shook

A shocking revelation is made at a grandfather's funeral and the gathered family has to process the news. This book had potential but never got there. Too many characters. Too many abrupt transitions between them. Too little character development and the characters weren't likeble either. Goodreads claimed this book has southern charm. Other than being set in Georgia and talking about the heat, that was the only glimpse I had of southern charm.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#49 Maybe Next Time by Cesca Major

It is an ordinary Monday and harried London literary agent Emma is flying out of the door as usual. Preoccupied with work and her ever growing to-do list, she fails to notice her lovely husband Dan seems bereft, her son can barely meet her eye, and her daughter won't go near her. Even the dog seems sad.

She is far too busy, buried deep in her phone; social media alerts pinging; clients messaging with "emergencies"; keeping track of a dozen WhatsApp groups about the kids' sports, school, playdates, all of it. Her whole day is frantic--what else is new--and as she rushes back through the door for dinner, Dan is still upset. They fight, and he walks out, desolate, dragging their poor dog around the block. Just as she realizes it is their anniversary and she has forgotten, again, she hears the screech of brakes.

Dan is dead.

The next day Emma wakes up... and Dan is alive. And it's Monday again.

Classic Groundhog day plot but fun.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#50 These Precious Days by Ann Patchett

The beloved New York Times bestselling author reflects on home, family, friendships and writing in this deeply personal collection of essays.

The book wasn't bad, it just never picked up momentum for me.

Last edited by scifiJoan; 09/10/23 10:33 PM.
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#51 Everyone in my Family has killed Someone by Benjamin Stevenson

Everyone in my family has killed someone. Some of us, the high achievers, have killed more than once. I'm not trying to be dramatic, but it is the truth. Some of us are good, others are bad, and some just unfortunate.

I'm Ernest Cunningham. Call me Ern or Ernie. I wish I'd killed whoever decided our family reunion should be at a ski resort, but it's a little more complicated than that.

Have I killed someone? Yes. I have.

Who was it?

Let's get started.

More light-hearted murder mystery. Fun read.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#52 Things I wish I told my Mother by Susan Patterson and Susan DiLallo

A mother and daughter unpack a lifetime's secrets while on vacation in Paris.

Every daughter has her own distinctive voice, her inimitable style, and her secrets.

Laurie Ormson is an artist, a collector of experiences. She travels the world with a worn beige duffel bag.

Every mother has her own distinctive voice, her inimitable style, and her secrets.

Laurie’s mother is the famous “Dr. Liz.” An elegant perfectionist. She travels the world with a matched set of suitcases.

When Laurie invites her mother on a trip to Paris and Norway, she sees an unexpected sparkle in her mother’s eyes. So begins Things I Wish I Told My Mother.

Light and fairly predictable. There's a twist that some on Goodreads hated. I thought it detracted from the story as well.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#53 We all want impossible things by Catherine Newman

Who knows you better than your best friend? Who knows your secrets, your fears, your desires, your strange imperfect self? Edi and Ash have been best friends for over forty years. Since childhood they have seen each other through life's milestones: stealing vodka from their parents, the Madonna phase, REM concerts, unexpected wakes, marriages, infertility, children. As Ash notes, 'Edi's memory is like the back-up hard drive for mine.'

So when Edi is diagnosed with terminal cancer, Ash's world reshapes around the rhythms of Edi's care, from chipped ice and watermelon cubes to music therapy; from snack smuggling to impromptu excursions into the frozen winter night. Because life is about squeezing the joy out of every moment, about building a powerhouse of memories, about learning when to hold on, and when to let go.

This book didn't do much for me. The friendship between the women was authentic but the main character had definite issues (sleeping around with multiple partners, breaking up with her husband for no apparent reason) that needed to be addressed and just weren't. Several of the characters had similar names which made it difficult to keep track of who was who. And frankly, her ex-husband's behavior didn't come off the least bit believable.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#54 Kitchens of the Great Midwest by J. Ryan Stradal

When Lars Thorvald's wife, Cynthia, falls in love with wine--and a dashing sommelier--he's left to raise their baby, Eva, on his own. He's determined to pass on his love of food to his daughter--starting with puréed pork shoulder. As Eva grows, she finds her solace and salvation in the flavors of her native Minnesota. From Scandinavian lutefisk to hydroponic chocolate habaneros, each ingredient represents one part of Eva's journey as she becomes the star chef behind a legendary and secretive pop-up supper club, culminating in an opulent and emotional feast that's a testament to her spirit and resilience.

Each chapter in J. Ryan Stradal's startlingly original debut tells the story of a single dish and character, at once capturing the zeitgeist of the Midwest, the rise of foodie culture, and delving into the ways food creates community and a sense of identity. By turns quirky, hilarious, and vividly sensory, Kitchens of the Great Midwest is an unexpected mother-daughter story about the bittersweet nature of life--its missed opportunities and its joyful surprises. It marks the entry of a brilliant new talent.

Very unique book. The story is told in different chapters by various characters in the main character's life. A unique perspective.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#55 Lightning Strike by William Kent Krueger

Aurora is a small town nestled in the ancient forest alongside the shores of Minnesota’s Iron Lake. In the summer of 1963, it is the whole world to 12-year-old Cork O’Connor, its rhythms as familiar as his own heartbeat. But when Cork stumbles upon the body of a man he revered hanging from a tree in an abandoned logging camp, it is the first in a series of events that will cause him to question everything he took for granted about his hometown, his family, and himself.

I enjoy this author. He does such a wonderful job with coming of age stories during simpler times. This was another good one.

#56 Imago by Octavia Butler

Human and Oankali have been mating since the aliens first came to Earth to rescue the few survivors of an annihilating nuclear war. The Oankali began a massive breeding project, guided by the ooloi, a sexless subspecies capable of manipulating DNA, in the hope of eventually creating a perfect starfaring race. Jodahs is supposed to be just another hybrid of human and Oankali, but as he begins his transformation to adulthood he finds himself becoming ooloi—the first ever born to a human mother. As his body changes, Jodahs develops the ability to shapeshift, manipulate matter, and cure or create disease at will. If this frightened young man is able to master his new identity, Jodahs could prove the savior of what’s left of mankind. Or, if he is not careful, he could become a plague that will destroy this new race once and for all.

I've just finished a re-read of this series and enjoyed it, though I feel this is the weakest story of the three.

#57 Elsewhere by Alexis Schaitkin

Richly emotive and darkly captivating, with elements of Shirley Jackson’s “The Lottery” and the imaginative depth of Margaret Atwood, Elsewhere by Alexis Schaitkin conjures a community in which girls become wives, wives become mothers and some of them, quite simply, disappear.

Being a Shirley Jackson and Margert Atwood (at least some of her works) fan, I enjoyed this. It also reminded by of Never Let Her Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. A very unique type of story that creates a foreign world.

#58 Prom Mom by Laura Lippman

Amber Glass has spent her entire adult life putting as much distance as possible between her and her hometown of Baltimore, where she fears she will forever be known as "Prom Mom"--the girl who allegedly killed her baby on the night of the prom after her date, Joe Simpson, abandoned her to pursue the girl he really liked. But when circumstances bring Amber back to the city, she realizes she can have a second chance--as long as she stays away from Joe, now a successful commercial real estate developer, married to a plastic surgeon, Meredith, to whom he is devoted.

With a title like this, I wasn't expecting much. And Amber seemed doomed to make the same mistakes all over again! But things took an interesting turn. I'll have to check out more books from the writer.

You can tell I've been on vacation! smile

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#59 Family Lore by Elizabeth Acevedo

From bestselling, National Book Award-winning author Elizabeth Acevedo comes her first novel for adults, the story of one Dominican-American family told through the voices of its women as they await a gathering that will forever change their lives.

It was interesting to read about the culture of the women. But with so many main characters, it was hard to keep track of who was who. And the ending wasn't as impactful as I thought it might be.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#60 The Last Train to Key West by Chanel Cleeton

Everyone journeys to Key West searching for something. For the tourists traveling on Henry Flagler’s legendary Overseas Railroad, Labor Day weekend is an opportunity to forget the economic depression gripping the nation. But one person’s paradise can be another’s prison, and Key West-native Helen Berner yearns to escape.

The Cuban Revolution of 1933 left Mirta Perez’s family in a precarious position. After an arranged wedding in Havana, Mirta arrives in the Keys on her honeymoon. While she can’t deny the growing attraction to the stranger she’s married, her new husband’s illicit business interests may threaten not only her relationship, but her life.

Elizabeth Preston's trip from New York to Key West is a chance to save her once-wealthy family from their troubles as a result of the Wall Street crash. Her quest takes her to the camps occupied by veterans of the Great War and pairs her with an unlikely ally on a treacherous hunt of his own.

Over the course of the holiday weekend, the women’s paths cross unexpectedly, and the danger swirling around them is matched only by the terrifying force of the deadly storm threatening the Keys.

This book gave some interesting background about vets from WWI and the circumstances of women back then. However the plotline wrapped up a little too neatly.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#61 The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde

Great Britain circa 1985: time travel is routine, cloning is a reality (dodos are the resurrected pet of choice), and literature is taken very, very seriously. Baconians are trying to convince the world that Francis Bacon really wrote Shakespeare, there are riots between the Surrealists and Impressionists, and thousands of men are named John Milton, an homage to the real Milton and a very confusing situation for the police. Amidst all this, Acheron Hades, Third Most Wanted Man In the World, steals the original manuscript of Martin Chuzzlewit and kills a minor character, who then disappears from every volume of the novel ever printed! But that's just a prelude . . .

Hades' real target is the beloved Jane Eyre, and it's not long before he plucks her from the pages of Bronte's novel. Enter Thursday Next. She's the Special Operative's renowned literary detective, and she drives a Porsche. With the help of her uncle Mycroft's Prose Portal, Thursday enters the novel to rescue Jane Eyre from this heinous act of literary homicide. It's tricky business, all these interlopers running about Thornfield, and deceptions run rampant as their paths cross with Jane, Rochester, and Miss Fairfax. Can Thursday save Jane Eyre and Bronte's masterpiece? And what of the Crimean War? Will it ever end? And what about those annoying black holes that pop up now and again, sucking things into time-space voids . . .

This was very unique in concept. I like meta things but this didn't completely work for me.

1 member likes this: JadedEvie
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#62 The Sullivanians: Sex, Psychotherapy and the wild life of an American Commune by Alexander Stille

In the middle of the Ozzie and Harriet 1950s, the birth control pill became available and a maverick psychoanalytic institute, the Sullivan Institute for Research in Psychoanalysis, opened its doors in New York City. Its founders wanted to start a revolution, one grounded in ideals of creative expression, sexual liberation, and freedom from societal norms, and the revolution needed to begin at home. Dismantling the nuclear family--and monogamous marriage--would free kids from the repressive forces of their parents. The movement attracted many brilliant people as patients, including the painter Jackson Pollock and a swarm of other artists, the singer Judy Collins, and the dancer Lucinda Childs. By the 1960s, it had become an urban commune of hundreds of people, with patients living with other patients, leading a creative, polyamorous life.

By the mid-1970s, under the leadership of its cofounder Saul Newton, it devolved from a radical communal experiment into an insular cult, with therapists controlling virtually every aspect of their patients' lives, from where they lived to how often they saw their children. Although the group was highly secretive, even after its dissolution in 1991, Alexander Stille has reconstructed the inner life of this hidden parallel world. Through countless interviews and personal papers, The Sullivanians reveals the nearly unbelievable story of a fallen utopia in the heart of New York City.

I'd never heard of this group, even though I grew up near this area. I'll agree that this was a shocking read, although it could've used some editing.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#63 Life Sentences by Laura Lippman

A successful memoirist returns home to Baltimore searching for inspiration for her next book. When she discovers an old classmate had been accused of a heinous crime, she decides to braid this tragic story with reminiscences of her grade school years. To the writer’s dismay, her friends—motivated by anger, perhaps jealousy—seem determined to sabotage her efforts, leaving her to persevere alone.

As she digs deeper into the tragedy surrounding her old classmate, the writer begins to see that everything she thought she knew about her life might be quite different. And if she wants to pursue the truth in this modern-day story, she may have to pay the price of living with uncomfortable truths, about her father, her past, and herself.

After reading one book by this author, I had high hopes for this one. When I reached the end, I thought, "Really?". The pacing was slow and it never went anywhere.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#64 Never Give Up: A Prairie Family's Story by Tom Brokaw

n this moving story, the New York Times bestselling author of The Greatest Generation chronicles the values and lessons he absorbed from his parents and other people who worked hard to build lives on the prairie during the first half of the twentieth century.

I'm all for appreciating what earlier generations went through but this book was just dull. With only 134 pages, it still felt way too long. There was no heart to it.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#65 She Deserves Better: Raising Girls to Resist Toxic Teachings on Sex, Self, and Speaking Up by Shelia Wary Gregoire, Rebecca Gregoire Lindenbach and Janna Sawatsy

This research-based, biblically informed book helps moms reject harmful teachings from the church about sexuality in order to raise strong, independent daughters who know who they are, use their voices, and confidently step into the lives God designed for them.

While I am a Christian, I'm not an conservative evangelical. I am aware of some of their teachings and I was glad to see some of the more extreme notions addressed.

Last edited by scifiJoan; 12/06/23 06:36 PM.
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#66 The Great Sex Rescue: The Lies You've Been Taught and How to Recover What God Intended by Shelia Wary Gregoire, Rebecca Gregoire Lindenbach and Janna Sawatsy

Based on a groundbreaking in-depth survey of 22,000 Christian women, The Great Sex Rescue unlocks the secrets to what makes some marriages red hot while others fizzle out. Generations of women have grown up with messages about sex that make them feel dirty, used, or invisible, while men have been sold such a cheapened version of sex, they don't know what they're missing. The Great Sex Rescue hopes to turn all of that around, developing a truly biblical view of sex where mutuality, intimacy, and passion reign.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#67 Boundaries in Marriage by Henry Cloud and John Townsend.

Sound principles.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#68 The Last Caretaker by Jessica Strawser

Katie’s divorce was, in a word, humiliating. So when her friend Bess offers a fresh start—a residential caretaking job at a nature preserve—Katie accepts. No matter that she’s not exactly a “nature person.” How hard can it be?

But from day one, something feels off. Katie’s new farmhouse looks as if the last caretaker barely moved out at all. When a frantic, terrified woman arrives late at night, expecting a safe place to hide, it’s clear caretaking involves way more than Katie bargained for.

I kept reading this book, thinking it had to get better. It didn't. Slow and plodding. Predictable and preachy. Unlikeable characters. I do not recommend this book.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard