Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#55 Lightning Strike by William Kent Krueger

Aurora is a small town nestled in the ancient forest alongside the shores of Minnesota’s Iron Lake. In the summer of 1963, it is the whole world to 12-year-old Cork O’Connor, its rhythms as familiar as his own heartbeat. But when Cork stumbles upon the body of a man he revered hanging from a tree in an abandoned logging camp, it is the first in a series of events that will cause him to question everything he took for granted about his hometown, his family, and himself.

I enjoy this author. He does such a wonderful job with coming of age stories during simpler times. This was another good one.

#56 Imago by Octavia Butler

Human and Oankali have been mating since the aliens first came to Earth to rescue the few survivors of an annihilating nuclear war. The Oankali began a massive breeding project, guided by the ooloi, a sexless subspecies capable of manipulating DNA, in the hope of eventually creating a perfect starfaring race. Jodahs is supposed to be just another hybrid of human and Oankali, but as he begins his transformation to adulthood he finds himself becoming ooloi—the first ever born to a human mother. As his body changes, Jodahs develops the ability to shapeshift, manipulate matter, and cure or create disease at will. If this frightened young man is able to master his new identity, Jodahs could prove the savior of what’s left of mankind. Or, if he is not careful, he could become a plague that will destroy this new race once and for all.

I've just finished a re-read of this series and enjoyed it, though I feel this is the weakest story of the three.

#57 Elsewhere by Alexis Schaitkin

Richly emotive and darkly captivating, with elements of Shirley Jackson’s “The Lottery” and the imaginative depth of Margaret Atwood, Elsewhere by Alexis Schaitkin conjures a community in which girls become wives, wives become mothers and some of them, quite simply, disappear.

Being a Shirley Jackson and Margert Atwood (at least some of her works) fan, I enjoyed this. It also reminded by of Never Let Her Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. A very unique type of story that creates a foreign world.

#58 Prom Mom by Laura Lippman

Amber Glass has spent her entire adult life putting as much distance as possible between her and her hometown of Baltimore, where she fears she will forever be known as "Prom Mom"--the girl who allegedly killed her baby on the night of the prom after her date, Joe Simpson, abandoned her to pursue the girl he really liked. But when circumstances bring Amber back to the city, she realizes she can have a second chance--as long as she stays away from Joe, now a successful commercial real estate developer, married to a plastic surgeon, Meredith, to whom he is devoted.

With a title like this, I wasn't expecting much. And Amber seemed doomed to make the same mistakes all over again! But things took an interesting turn. I'll have to check out more books from the writer.

You can tell I've been on vacation! smile

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#59 Family Lore by Elizabeth Acevedo

From bestselling, National Book Award-winning author Elizabeth Acevedo comes her first novel for adults, the story of one Dominican-American family told through the voices of its women as they await a gathering that will forever change their lives.

It was interesting to read about the culture of the women. But with so many main characters, it was hard to keep track of who was who. And the ending wasn't as impactful as I thought it might be.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#60 The Last Train to Key West by Chanel Cleeton

Everyone journeys to Key West searching for something. For the tourists traveling on Henry Flagler’s legendary Overseas Railroad, Labor Day weekend is an opportunity to forget the economic depression gripping the nation. But one person’s paradise can be another’s prison, and Key West-native Helen Berner yearns to escape.

The Cuban Revolution of 1933 left Mirta Perez’s family in a precarious position. After an arranged wedding in Havana, Mirta arrives in the Keys on her honeymoon. While she can’t deny the growing attraction to the stranger she’s married, her new husband’s illicit business interests may threaten not only her relationship, but her life.

Elizabeth Preston's trip from New York to Key West is a chance to save her once-wealthy family from their troubles as a result of the Wall Street crash. Her quest takes her to the camps occupied by veterans of the Great War and pairs her with an unlikely ally on a treacherous hunt of his own.

Over the course of the holiday weekend, the women’s paths cross unexpectedly, and the danger swirling around them is matched only by the terrifying force of the deadly storm threatening the Keys.

This book gave some interesting background about vets from WWI and the circumstances of women back then. However the plotline wrapped up a little too neatly.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#61 The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde

Great Britain circa 1985: time travel is routine, cloning is a reality (dodos are the resurrected pet of choice), and literature is taken very, very seriously. Baconians are trying to convince the world that Francis Bacon really wrote Shakespeare, there are riots between the Surrealists and Impressionists, and thousands of men are named John Milton, an homage to the real Milton and a very confusing situation for the police. Amidst all this, Acheron Hades, Third Most Wanted Man In the World, steals the original manuscript of Martin Chuzzlewit and kills a minor character, who then disappears from every volume of the novel ever printed! But that's just a prelude . . .

Hades' real target is the beloved Jane Eyre, and it's not long before he plucks her from the pages of Bronte's novel. Enter Thursday Next. She's the Special Operative's renowned literary detective, and she drives a Porsche. With the help of her uncle Mycroft's Prose Portal, Thursday enters the novel to rescue Jane Eyre from this heinous act of literary homicide. It's tricky business, all these interlopers running about Thornfield, and deceptions run rampant as their paths cross with Jane, Rochester, and Miss Fairfax. Can Thursday save Jane Eyre and Bronte's masterpiece? And what of the Crimean War? Will it ever end? And what about those annoying black holes that pop up now and again, sucking things into time-space voids . . .

This was very unique in concept. I like meta things but this didn't completely work for me.

1 member likes this: JadedEvie
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#62 The Sullivanians: Sex, Psychotherapy and the wild life of an American Commune by Alexander Stille

In the middle of the Ozzie and Harriet 1950s, the birth control pill became available and a maverick psychoanalytic institute, the Sullivan Institute for Research in Psychoanalysis, opened its doors in New York City. Its founders wanted to start a revolution, one grounded in ideals of creative expression, sexual liberation, and freedom from societal norms, and the revolution needed to begin at home. Dismantling the nuclear family--and monogamous marriage--would free kids from the repressive forces of their parents. The movement attracted many brilliant people as patients, including the painter Jackson Pollock and a swarm of other artists, the singer Judy Collins, and the dancer Lucinda Childs. By the 1960s, it had become an urban commune of hundreds of people, with patients living with other patients, leading a creative, polyamorous life.

By the mid-1970s, under the leadership of its cofounder Saul Newton, it devolved from a radical communal experiment into an insular cult, with therapists controlling virtually every aspect of their patients' lives, from where they lived to how often they saw their children. Although the group was highly secretive, even after its dissolution in 1991, Alexander Stille has reconstructed the inner life of this hidden parallel world. Through countless interviews and personal papers, The Sullivanians reveals the nearly unbelievable story of a fallen utopia in the heart of New York City.

I'd never heard of this group, even though I grew up near this area. I'll agree that this was a shocking read, although it could've used some editing.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#63 Life Sentences by Laura Lippman

A successful memoirist returns home to Baltimore searching for inspiration for her next book. When she discovers an old classmate had been accused of a heinous crime, she decides to braid this tragic story with reminiscences of her grade school years. To the writer’s dismay, her friends—motivated by anger, perhaps jealousy—seem determined to sabotage her efforts, leaving her to persevere alone.

As she digs deeper into the tragedy surrounding her old classmate, the writer begins to see that everything she thought she knew about her life might be quite different. And if she wants to pursue the truth in this modern-day story, she may have to pay the price of living with uncomfortable truths, about her father, her past, and herself.

After reading one book by this author, I had high hopes for this one. When I reached the end, I thought, "Really?". The pacing was slow and it never went anywhere.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#64 Never Give Up: A Prairie Family's Story by Tom Brokaw

n this moving story, the New York Times bestselling author of The Greatest Generation chronicles the values and lessons he absorbed from his parents and other people who worked hard to build lives on the prairie during the first half of the twentieth century.

I'm all for appreciating what earlier generations went through but this book was just dull. With only 134 pages, it still felt way too long. There was no heart to it.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#65 She Deserves Better: Raising Girls to Resist Toxic Teachings on Sex, Self, and Speaking Up by Shelia Wary Gregoire, Rebecca Gregoire Lindenbach and Janna Sawatsy

This research-based, biblically informed book helps moms reject harmful teachings from the church about sexuality in order to raise strong, independent daughters who know who they are, use their voices, and confidently step into the lives God designed for them.

While I am a Christian, I'm not an conservative evangelical. I am aware of some of their teachings and I was glad to see some of the more extreme notions addressed.

Last edited by scifiJoan; 12/06/23 06:36 PM.
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#66 The Great Sex Rescue: The Lies You've Been Taught and How to Recover What God Intended by Shelia Wary Gregoire, Rebecca Gregoire Lindenbach and Janna Sawatsy

Based on a groundbreaking in-depth survey of 22,000 Christian women, The Great Sex Rescue unlocks the secrets to what makes some marriages red hot while others fizzle out. Generations of women have grown up with messages about sex that make them feel dirty, used, or invisible, while men have been sold such a cheapened version of sex, they don't know what they're missing. The Great Sex Rescue hopes to turn all of that around, developing a truly biblical view of sex where mutuality, intimacy, and passion reign.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#67 Boundaries in Marriage by Henry Cloud and John Townsend.

Sound principles.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#68 The Last Caretaker by Jessica Strawser

Katie’s divorce was, in a word, humiliating. So when her friend Bess offers a fresh start—a residential caretaking job at a nature preserve—Katie accepts. No matter that she’s not exactly a “nature person.” How hard can it be?

But from day one, something feels off. Katie’s new farmhouse looks as if the last caretaker barely moved out at all. When a frantic, terrified woman arrives late at night, expecting a safe place to hide, it’s clear caretaking involves way more than Katie bargained for.

I kept reading this book, thinking it had to get better. It didn't. Slow and plodding. Predictable and preachy. Unlikeable characters. I do not recommend this book.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard