Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#34 Dawn by Octavia Butler

Lilith Iyapo has just lost her husband and son when atomic fire consumes Earth—the last stage of the planet’s final war. Hundreds of years later Lilith awakes, deep in the hold of a massive alien spacecraft piloted by the Oankali—who arrived just in time to save humanity from extinction. They have kept Lilith and other survivors asleep for centuries, as they learned whatever they could about Earth. Now it is time for Lilith to lead them back to her home world, but life among the Oankali on the newly resettled planet will be nothing like it was before.

One of my favorite scifi series.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
#16 The Tower of Nero by Rick Riordan

The last of the Apollo trials. Apollo must take down the last remaining emperor, Nero, and confront his old enemy, Python, in order to restore the Oracle of Delphi.

Overall, the Apollo series was fun. I certainly liked it more than the second series, which focused on new, but Roman, heroes. While some old friends popped in and out of the Apollo series, it was nice to see the books mainly focused on the unfortunate god-turned-mortal. I look forward to reading more of his work.

#17 Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

Two girls (friends, one Jewish, one not) living in Denmark, must live with the reality of the Nazis who have invaded their homeland. And when they start rounding up the Jewish people in the area, the girls must work together to help smuggle the Jewish girl's face out of the country to save their lives.

Honestly, I was disappointed with the book. While, yes, it's for kids, I felt it was too "neat" and "soft" for what was actually going on during that period of time. I wanted something a little heavier, a little more profound, something that would stick with me in my mind for longer. I can't even remember the kids' names because it just didn't make a huge impact.

#18 Bless This Mouse by Lois Lowry

Hilldegarde is a church mouse. She and roughly 200 others live in a church and must stay out of sight at all times, in order to avoid the Big X (extermination). But one day, it is noticed by people that there are multiple mice around, and the Big X is scheduled to happen. As their leader, Hildegarde must devise a plan to save them all, while also knowing that the blessing of the animals (feast day of St, Francis of Assisi, Oct 4) is coming, and with that...cats.

A cute little read that took me all of 2 or 3 nights.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#35. The Grace Year by Kim Leggett

In a fantasy realm or alt reality where women's rights are severely limited, women are sent away at age 17 to burn off their magic. Maybe I've read too many of these or I've been too distracted, this one didn't do much for me. On the other hand, my daughter enjoyed it.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#36 The Twilight Wife by A. J. Banner

Marine biologist Kyra Winthrop remembers nothing about the diving accident that left her with a complex form of memory loss. With only brief flashes of the last few years of her life, her world has narrowed to a few neighbors on the island where she lives with her devoted husband.

But when Kyra begins having visions—or are they memories?—of a rocky marriage, broken promises, and cryptic relationships with the island residents she believes to be her friends, she can’t help but wonder if her new life is all a carefully constructed lie.

Maybe I've read too many of these books, but I felt like I've already read this plot multiple times in the past. And seen it done much better. Even the Lifetime movie version was better than this.

#37 When We Were Bright and Beautiful by Jullian Medoff

Cassie Quinn may only be twenty-three, but she knows a few things. One: money can't buy happiness, but it's certainly better to have it. Two: family matters most. Three: her younger brother Billy is not a rapist.

When Billy, a junior at Princeton, is arrested for assaulting his ex-girlfriend, Cassie races home to Manhattan to join forces with her big brother Nate and their parents, Lawrence and Eleanor. The Quinns scramble to hire the best legal minds money can buy, but Billy fits the all-too-familiar sex-offender profile--white, athletic, and privileged--that makes headlines and sways juries.

Meanwhile, Cassie struggles to understand why Billy's ex Diana would go this far, even if the breakup was painful. And she knows how the end of first love can destroy someone: Her own years-long affair with a powerful, charismatic man left her shattered, and she's only recently regained her footing.

As reporters converge outside their Upper East Side landmark building, the Quinns gird themselves for a media-saturated trial, and Cassie vows she'll do whatever it takes to save Billy. But what if that means exposing her own darkest secrets to the world?

This book was highly engaging. You knew something was off with the family and there were little hints provided all along the way to the reveal.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#38 The Plot by Jean Hanff Korelitz

Jacob Finch Bonner was once a promising young novelist with a respectably published first book. Today, he’s teaching in a third-rate MFA program and struggling to maintain what’s left of his self-respect; he hasn’t written—let alone published—anything decent in years. When Evan Parker, his most arrogant student, announces he doesn’t need Jake’s help because the plot of his book in progress is a sure thing, Jake is prepared to dismiss the boast as typical amateur narcissism. But then . . . he hears the plot.

Jake returns to the downward trajectory of his own career and braces himself for the supernova publication of Evan Parker’s first novel: but it never comes. When he discovers that his former student has died, presumably without ever completing his book, Jake does what any self-respecting writer would do with a story like that—a story that absolutely needs to be told.

In a few short years, all of Evan Parker’s predictions have come true, but Jake is the author enjoying the wave. He is wealthy, famous, praised and read all over the world. But at the height of his glorious new life, an e-mail arrives, the first salvo in a terrifying, anonymous campaign: You are a thief, it says.

I could say a lot about this one, both good and bad. The idea of a plot that's totally unique doesn't really make sense. Give ten people a vague plot outline and they'll write ten different books. There was an interesting turn of events that I did see coming.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
,#39 The Damage by Caityn Wahrer

When a small town family is pushed to the brink, how far will they go to protect their own?

Interesting crime drama. Not overly compelling reading.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#40 All My Knotted-Up Life: A Memoir by Beth Moore

New York Times best-selling author, speaker, visionary, and founder of Living Proof Ministries Beth Moore has devoted her whole life to helping women across the globe come to know the transforming power of Jesus. An established writer of many acclaimed books and Bible studies for women on spiritual growth and personal development, Beth now unveils her own story in a much-anticipated debut memoir.

While I've done some of her Bible studies, I didn't know much about Beth Moore. This book provided insights into some very real struggles she's dealt with.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#41 The Second Shift by Arlie Russell Hochschild

Fifteen years after its first publication, The Second Shift remains just as important and relevant today as it did then. As the majority of women entered the workforce, sociologist and Berkeley professor Arlie Hochschild was one of the first to talk about what really happens in dual-career households. Many people were amazed to find that women still did the majority of childcare and housework even though they also worked outside the home. Now, in this updated edition with a new introduction from the author, we discover how much things have, or have not, changed for women today.

The writer presents several chapters focusing on individual dual-income couples and their coping strategies regarding jobs, family life and child care. The lack of change of so many years is a little sad.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#42 The Younger Wife by Sally Hepworth

THE HUSBAND
A heart surgeon at the top of his field, Stephen Aston is getting married again. But first he must divorce his current wife, even though she can no longer speak for herself.

THE DAUGHTERS
Tully and Rachel Aston look upon their father’s fiancée, Heather, as nothing but an interloper. Heather is younger than both of them. Clearly, she’s after their father’s money.

THE FORMER WIFE
With their mother in a precarious position, Tully and Rachel are determined to get to the truth about their family’s secrets, the new wife closing in, and who their father really is.

THE YOUNGER WIFE[
Heather has secrets of her own. Will getting to the truth unleash the most dangerous impulses in all of them?

Average thriller.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#43 Adulthood Rites by Octavia Butler

Nuclear war had nearly destroyed mankind when the Oankali came to the rescue, saving humanity—but at a price. The Oankali survive by mixing their DNA with that of other species, and now on Earth they have permitted no child to be born without an Oankali parent. The first true hybrid is a boy named Akin—son of Lilith Iyapo— and to the naked eye he looks human, for now. He is born with extraordinary sensory powers, understanding speech at birth, speaking in sentences at two months old, and soon developing the ability to see at the molecular level. More powerful than any human or Oankali, he will be the architect of both races’ intergalactic future. But before he can carry this new species into the stars, Akin must decide which unlucky souls will stay behind.

Just as good on the second read.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#44 Swear on this life by Renee Carling

Aspiring writer Emi is shocked when she reads a book that describes her abusive childhood. She tracks down the writer whom she hasn't seen for years. I thought this story had more potential. The characters were immature and the plot was predictable.

#45 I liked my life by Abby fabiaschi

Maddy has died but is somehow able to observe and influence her grieving family who are floored by her apparent suicide. Thought this had potential for more depth.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#46 The Latecomer: a novel by Jean Hanff Korelitz

The Latecomer follows the story of the wealthy, New York City-based Oppenheimer family, from the first meeting of parents Salo and Johanna, under tragic circumstances, to their triplets born during the early days of IVF. As children, the three siblings--Harrison, Lewyn, and Sally--feel no strong familial bond and cannot wait to go their separate ways, even as their father becomes more distanced and their mother more desperate. When the triplets leave for college, Johanna, faced with being truly alone, makes the decision to have a fourth child. What role will the “latecomer” play in this fractured family?

The people in this family were highly dysfunctional. I wasn't highly invested in any of the characters.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#47 Dirty Laundry by Disha Bose

Ciara Dunphy has it all--a loving husband, well-behaved children, and a beautiful home. Her circle of friends in their small Irish village go to her for tips about mothering, style, and influencer success--a picture-perfect life is easy money on Instagram. But behind the filters, reality is less polished.

Then Ciara is found murdered in her own pristine home, and the house of cards she'd worked so hard to build comes crumbling down. Everyone seems to have something to gain from Ciara's death, so if they don't want the blame, it may be the perfect time to air their enemies' dirty laundry.

Okay thriller. Not likeable characters.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#48 If We're Being Honest by Cat Shook

A shocking revelation is made at a grandfather's funeral and the gathered family has to process the news. This book had potential but never got there. Too many characters. Too many abrupt transitions between them. Too little character development and the characters weren't likeble either. Goodreads claimed this book has southern charm. Other than being set in Georgia and talking about the heat, that was the only glimpse I had of southern charm.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#49 Maybe Next Time by Cesca Major

It is an ordinary Monday and harried London literary agent Emma is flying out of the door as usual. Preoccupied with work and her ever growing to-do list, she fails to notice her lovely husband Dan seems bereft, her son can barely meet her eye, and her daughter won't go near her. Even the dog seems sad.

She is far too busy, buried deep in her phone; social media alerts pinging; clients messaging with "emergencies"; keeping track of a dozen WhatsApp groups about the kids' sports, school, playdates, all of it. Her whole day is frantic--what else is new--and as she rushes back through the door for dinner, Dan is still upset. They fight, and he walks out, desolate, dragging their poor dog around the block. Just as she realizes it is their anniversary and she has forgotten, again, she hears the screech of brakes.

Dan is dead.

The next day Emma wakes up... and Dan is alive. And it's Monday again.

Classic Groundhog day plot but fun.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#50 These Precious Days by Ann Patchett

The beloved New York Times bestselling author reflects on home, family, friendships and writing in this deeply personal collection of essays.

The book wasn't bad, it just never picked up momentum for me.

Last edited by scifiJoan; 09/10/23 10:33 PM.
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#51 Everyone in my Family has killed Someone by Benjamin Stevenson

Everyone in my family has killed someone. Some of us, the high achievers, have killed more than once. I'm not trying to be dramatic, but it is the truth. Some of us are good, others are bad, and some just unfortunate.

I'm Ernest Cunningham. Call me Ern or Ernie. I wish I'd killed whoever decided our family reunion should be at a ski resort, but it's a little more complicated than that.

Have I killed someone? Yes. I have.

Who was it?

Let's get started.

More light-hearted murder mystery. Fun read.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#52 Things I wish I told my Mother by Susan Patterson and Susan DiLallo

A mother and daughter unpack a lifetime's secrets while on vacation in Paris.

Every daughter has her own distinctive voice, her inimitable style, and her secrets.

Laurie Ormson is an artist, a collector of experiences. She travels the world with a worn beige duffel bag.

Every mother has her own distinctive voice, her inimitable style, and her secrets.

Laurie’s mother is the famous “Dr. Liz.” An elegant perfectionist. She travels the world with a matched set of suitcases.

When Laurie invites her mother on a trip to Paris and Norway, she sees an unexpected sparkle in her mother’s eyes. So begins Things I Wish I Told My Mother.

Light and fairly predictable. There's a twist that some on Goodreads hated. I thought it detracted from the story as well.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#53 We all want impossible things by Catherine Newman

Who knows you better than your best friend? Who knows your secrets, your fears, your desires, your strange imperfect self? Edi and Ash have been best friends for over forty years. Since childhood they have seen each other through life's milestones: stealing vodka from their parents, the Madonna phase, REM concerts, unexpected wakes, marriages, infertility, children. As Ash notes, 'Edi's memory is like the back-up hard drive for mine.'

So when Edi is diagnosed with terminal cancer, Ash's world reshapes around the rhythms of Edi's care, from chipped ice and watermelon cubes to music therapy; from snack smuggling to impromptu excursions into the frozen winter night. Because life is about squeezing the joy out of every moment, about building a powerhouse of memories, about learning when to hold on, and when to let go.

This book didn't do much for me. The friendship between the women was authentic but the main character had definite issues (sleeping around with multiple partners, breaking up with her husband for no apparent reason) that needed to be addressed and just weren't. Several of the characters had similar names which made it difficult to keep track of who was who. And frankly, her ex-husband's behavior didn't come off the least bit believable.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#54 Kitchens of the Great Midwest by J. Ryan Stradal

When Lars Thorvald's wife, Cynthia, falls in love with wine--and a dashing sommelier--he's left to raise their baby, Eva, on his own. He's determined to pass on his love of food to his daughter--starting with puréed pork shoulder. As Eva grows, she finds her solace and salvation in the flavors of her native Minnesota. From Scandinavian lutefisk to hydroponic chocolate habaneros, each ingredient represents one part of Eva's journey as she becomes the star chef behind a legendary and secretive pop-up supper club, culminating in an opulent and emotional feast that's a testament to her spirit and resilience.

Each chapter in J. Ryan Stradal's startlingly original debut tells the story of a single dish and character, at once capturing the zeitgeist of the Midwest, the rise of foodie culture, and delving into the ways food creates community and a sense of identity. By turns quirky, hilarious, and vividly sensory, Kitchens of the Great Midwest is an unexpected mother-daughter story about the bittersweet nature of life--its missed opportunities and its joyful surprises. It marks the entry of a brilliant new talent.

Very unique book. The story is told in different chapters by various characters in the main character's life. A unique perspective.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard