Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#19 Unspeakable by Jessica Willis Fisher

Jessica, A member of a family band that traveled the country and had their own TLC reality show, shares her horrifying story of sexual and emotional abuse at the hands of her father. Very disturbing story. Gave me more insight into how people process such trauma and how it affects them.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#20 The First Husband by Laura Dave

Annie has been with Nick for five years when he tells her he wants to take a break. Almost immediately, she meets Griffin, who she married within four months. She is torn between what to do with her job and which man to stay with.

Annie's indecision was annoying. Her thought process was all over the place.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#21 This Time Tomorrow by Emma Straub

[
On the eve of her 40th birthday, Alice's life isn't terrible. She likes her job, even if it isn't exactly the one she expected. She's happy with her apartment, her romantic status, her independence, and she adores her lifelong best friend. But her father is ailing, and it feels to her as if something is missing. When she wakes up the next morning she finds herself back in 1996, reliving her 16th birthday. But it isn't just her adolescent body that shocks her, or seeing her high school crush, it's her dad: the vital, charming, 40-something version of her father with whom she is reunited. Now armed with a new perspective on her own life and his, some past events take on new meaning. Is there anything that she would change if she could?

I love this trope! I'm a sucker for 'what if you could change the past'. I liked that this focused on the relationship between the main character and her dad but I would've liked to see more growth on her part.

Last edited by scifiJoan; 03/31/23 01:05 PM.
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#22 Recursion by Blake Crouch

While studying how to isolate memories for Alzheimer's patients, Helena discovers a way to time travel to different points of her life. The use and consequences of this technology get crazy! Very cool.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
#9 Durotan by Christie Golden

In the world of Draenor, the strong and fiercely independent Frostwolf Clan are faced with increasingly harsh winters and thinning herds. When Gul’dan, a mysterious outsider, arrives in Frostfire Ridge offering word of new hunting lands, Durotan, the Clan’s chieftain, must make an impossible decision: abandon the territory, pride and traditions of his people, or lead them into the unknown.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. As a huge WoW fan and proud member of the Horde myself, it was fun to witness the first, tense meetings with Gul'dan, as well as the rejections he is given by both Durotan's father and Durotan himself. I really felt like the characters were perfectly captured and the reasoning behind Durotan's ultimate decision to follow Gul'dan into Azeroth was well thought out.

#10 Citizen Alex: Let Freedom Ring by Bruce Campbell

Americans love to claim that they are patriots. But, what exactly is a patriot? Someone willing to die for their country? Someone willing to criticize the country they love? Or is patriotism as simple as paying your taxes?My version of a patriot is Alexander Madison, direct descendant of James Madison, the Father of the US Constitution. By day, Alex is a proofreader, but his hobbies are varied and eclectic - each with an eye toward history - and one of them lands him in hot water. Part of a team of re-enactors, Alex becomes mistaken for a group of ant-government separatists with an eye toward succession on, of all days, the 4th of July.Alex is only a civilian, but the depth of his historical perspective helps him join forces with the FBI and foil a massive plot designed to re-write American history - and not in a good way. Fun, timely and a tad snarky, Citizen Alex: Let Freedom Ring might just make you a patriot!

I usually very much enjoy Bruce's writing, but this one (more of a short story than a true novel) just felt "off" for me. The pacing was awkward and far too fast - like it was written under a tight deadline with no time to flesh out characters, plot, or anything else, really. The sentence structure was often far too simplistic and bland, compared to the way he normally writes. Overall, I walked away feeling very "meh" about this one.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#23 Dopamine Nation: Finding Balance in the Age of Indulgence” by Anna Lembke, M.D.

Dr. Anna Lembke, psychiatrist and author, explores the exciting new scientific discoveries that explain why the relentless pursuit of pleasure leads to pain...and what to do about it. Condensing complex neuroscience into easy-to-understand metaphors, Lembke illustrates how finding contentment and connectedness means keeping dopamine in check.

Interesting read.

Last edited by scifiJoan; 04/26/23 07:45 PM.
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#24 Hamnet by Maggie O'Farrel

Warwickshire in the 1580s. Agnes is a woman as feared as she is sought after for her unusual gifts. She settles with her husband in Henley street, Stratford, and has three children: a daughter, Susanna, and then twins, Hamnet and Judith. The boy, Hamnet, dies in 1596, aged eleven. Four years or so later, the husband writes a play called Hamlet.

I'm not a big Shakespeare fan, nor am I a huge historical fiction fan. Yet I can enjoy both. This book...was a struggle to complete. I never would've picked it on my own but I didn't show up at the book club meeting where we were being assigned books to host. I hated this book. It bounced all over the place in time (and frankly, I read a lot and can handle this technique when it's done well). Lots of cryptic, "Had he only known..." with no follow up. Three people's viewpoints on the exact same trivial moments. Tons and tons of excessive description. An entire chapter devoted to describing the journey of a flea that carried a disease. And the plot could be summed up in one paragraph.

Should be an interesting book club meeting.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
#11 Far From Agrabah by Aisha Saeed

Aladdin and Jasmine spend a few days in the imaginary kingdom of Ababawa.

An okay, kinda dumb and predictable read, but it could nicely fit in with either the real movie (that is the 1992 animated masterpiece) or that live action imposter.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Columnist
Columnist
I gave myself a goal of reading 12 books in 2023. I have already beat that and updated my goal to 20. Now it's May and I am already up to 19 books. One great one I read is Malibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins Reid. I am going to update my goal once again to 35 books.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
Originally Posted by CarrieRene
I gave myself a goal of reading 12 books in 2023. I have already beat that and updated my goal to 20. Now it's May and I am already up to 19 books. One great one I read is Malibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins Reid. I am going to update my goal once again to 35 books.

Great job CarrieRene! Taylor Jenins Reid has written some good books. Have you read "The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo?"

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#25 Reckless Girls by Rachel Hawkins

When Lux McAllister and her boyfriend, Nico, are hired to sail two women to a remote island in the South Pacific, it seems like the opportunity of a lifetime. Stuck in a dead-end job in Hawaii, and longing to travel the world after a family tragedy, Lux is eager to climb on board The Susannah and set out on an adventure. She’s also quick to bond with their passengers, college best friends Brittany and Amma. The two women say they want to travel off the beaten path. But like Lux, they may have other reasons to be seeking an escape.

Not bad for a thriller. More character development than I was expecting.

#26 All That is Mine I Carry With Me by William Landay

One afternoon in November 1975, ten-year-old Miranda Larkin comes home from school to find her house eerily quiet. Her mother is missing. Nothing else is out of place. There is no sign of struggle. Her mom's pocketbook remains in the front hall, in its usual spot.

So begins a mystery that will span a lifetime. What happened to Jane Larkin?

I've read other books by this author so I was disappointed by this one. It just didn't come together for me.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
#12 The Tyrant's Tomb by Rick Riordan

Apollo and friends must confront an undead zombie king from Ancient Rome in order to defend Camp Jupiter.

#13 A Summer To Die by Lois Lowry

Two sisters are forced to move for a summer. There, the health of one declines while the other comes to make friends with the old man who rented their family the house.

The book was nothing special and focused more on the healthy sister and her photography hobby than anything else. It could have used a bit more focus on the dying sister.

#14 Gossamer by Lois Lowry

Ever wonder how we wind up dreaming about the things we dream about?

Cute book with a short but rich story and mythos.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#27 Now is not the Time to Panic by Kevin Wilson

Sixteen-year-old Frankie Budge—aspiring writer, indifferent student, offbeat loner—is determined to make it through yet another sad summer in Coalfield, Tennessee, when she meets Zeke, a talented artist who has just moved into his grandmother’s unhappy house and who is as lonely and awkward as Frankie is. Romantic and creative sparks begin to fly, and when the two jointly make an unsigned poster, shot through with an enigmatic phrase, it becomes unforgettable to anyone who sees it. The edge is a shantytown filled with gold seekers. We are fugitives, and the law is skinny with hunger for us.

The posters begin appearing everywhere, and people wonder who is behind them. Satanists, kidnappers—the rumors won’t stop, and soon the mystery has dangerous repercussions that spread far beyond the town. The art that brought Frankie and Zeke together now threatens to tear them apart.

This book didn't do much for me. The author captured the feelings of teenagers well - their fears and feelings of not fitting in. Otherwise, the plot tended to drag and the tie-in to present day was a complete letdown.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#28 Daisy Jones and the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid

Everyone knows DAISY JONES & THE SIX, but nobody knows the reason behind their split at the absolute height of their popularity . . . until now.

Daisy is a girl coming of age in L.A. in the late sixties, sneaking into clubs on the Sunset Strip, sleeping with rock stars, and dreaming of singing at the Whisky a Go Go. The sex and drugs are thrilling, but it’s the rock ’n’ roll she loves most. By the time she’s twenty, her voice is getting noticed, and she has the kind of heedless beauty that makes people do crazy things.

Also getting noticed is The Six, a band led by the brooding Billy Dunne. On the eve of their first tour, his girlfriend Camila finds out she’s pregnant, and with the pressure of impending fatherhood and fame, Billy goes a little wild on the road.

Daisy and Billy cross paths when a producer realizes that the key to supercharged success is to put the two together. What happens next will become the stuff of legend.

This book had an unusal format. It reminded me of the VHS Behind the Music shows where you just hear people talking about the events, giving their versions. It was a quick engaging read. The characters were interesting but their actions didn't quite ring true to me. They behaved more idealized than real people would under similar circumstances. Great beach read!

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#29 The Second Husband by Kate White

Recovering from the unsolved murder of her first husband, Derrick, thirtysomething Emma Hawke has built a new life with Tom, a handsome, successful, and loving widower who finally makes her feel safe again.

Then one day a police detective shows up at their house on the Connecticut shore, asking questions about Derrick's death. Emma was sure she'd been cleared in the days after the tragedy. So why is law enforcement taking another look now--and questioning the timing of her relationship with Tom? She hadn't even met him until after Derrick's death.

Average thriller with a so-so ending.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
#15 The Hobbit - An Illustrated Edition by Charles Dixon and Sean Deming, Illustrated by David Wenzel

A fun graphic novel version of the book with text lifted directly from the source material. Some of the illustrations were a little weird, but I'm biased after having watched and rewatched the Peter Jackson movies (which were flawed but amazing).

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
30 The Bookwoman of Troublesome Creek by Kim Michelle Richardson

Blue Kentucky woman experiences prejudice while bringing books via her pack mule to people in rural Kentucky.

I've read other books about the pack mule library women. Better books. I'm not a fan of authentic dialogue used throughout the entire book.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#31 The Lost Slayer by Christopher Golden

Buffy Summers's adjustment to life at U.C. Sunnydale has not gone smoothly. She feels awkward, insecure, and jealous that Willow's all over the college life. So when she is visited by a prophecy of impending danger, the timing couldn't be worse. There's plenty of evil afoot as it is: a unified troop of vampires has descended upon Sunnydale, and tension between Buffy and Willow gets in the way of demon hunting.

Before long, a single moment of bad judgment catapults Buffy into an alternate future dimension where vampires reign supreme. Imprisoned in the body of her 24-year-old-self -- and confronting friends and foes the likes of which she'd never imagined -- the Slayer must uncover her past misstep and correct it, or risk facing a terrifying monster that she herself has created....

Generally, I prefer to read fanfiction rather than mass marketed media tie-ins. Usually, the writers are very restricted on plot and character development. But this compilation of four books was a pleasant surprise. It did a great job with the characters and managed to create an intense situation yet believably bring the characters back within canon.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#32 Ms. Demeanor by Elinor Lipman

Jane Morgan is a valued member of her law firm--or was, until a prudish neighbor, binoculars poised, observes her having sex on the roof of her NYC apartment building. Police are summoned, and a punishing judge sentences her to six months of home confinement. With Jane now jobless and rootless, trapped at home, life looks bleak. Yes, her twin sister provides support and advice, but mostly of the unwelcome kind. When a doorman lets slip that Jane isn't the only resident wearing an ankle monitor, she strikes up a friendship with fellow white-collar felon Perry Salisbury. As she tries to adapt to life within her apartment walls, she discovers she hasn't heard the end of that tattletale neighbor--whose past isn't as decorous as her 9-1-1 snitching would suggest. Why are police knocking on Jane's door again? Can her house arrest have a silver lining? Can two wrongs make a right?

Silly but good for an airplane read.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#33 Love Marriage by Monica Ali

Yasmin, a young Indian doctor, is engaged to white, Joe. While this book gives some interesting cultural insights upon mixing these two families, it was too broad in focus. Some tragedy. Some comedy? Dysfunctional family relationships. A bit uneven. I wasn't thrilled with the resolution either.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard