Print Thread
T
Toomi8 Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
T
[Linked Image]*

Lois and Clark head to Smallville to check out an EPA investigation. While they're there, Lois experiences the Smallville Corn Festival, and Clark is exposed to Kryptonite for the first time.

A few firsts in this episode! First time Clark is exposed to Kryptonite, first time for Lois to see Smallville, and the first time Lois meets Clark's parents .
Sharon Cain (Dean Cain's mom) makes an appearance as Maisie.

- Favourite moment/quote of the episode?
- Fanfic, media or artwork recommendations based on this episode?
- Any plot bunnies you'd like to set free?

*Banner by CarrieRene

Columnist
Columnist
The first mention of Wayne Irig. I think a lot of us have mentioned him in our fics especially when the story is based in Smallville. I enjoyed the scene with Clark pitching a story. My thing is why would he pitch a story about something in another state.

I loved Lois’ comment about the cross-dressing man and it turns out to be Jonathan. I loved the introduction and Martha’s comment about Lois being so pretty. Jonathan wanting to sit next to Lois was nice. Martha’s comment about ‘loving Lois’ was adorable.

Of course, we have the return of Jason Trask. He was a great bad guy. I would have enjoyed more of Trask throughout the series though. I think he was the only bad guy that thought of Superman as an Alien threat and not an overall threat.

Rachel's introduction was great too. The use of Lois’ cell phone. Clark and Lois at the carnival are adorable, especially once she changes into the dress. I love how Lois picked the bear over Superman.

I had a thought though, why didn’t Lois remember that Superman was connected to Smallville. She mentions ‘why Smallville’ in the first Tempus episode. Didn’t she remember that Trask was in Smallville a year before.

I loved how Jonathan finally admits that Clark is not normal that he is ‘super’. Love the ending where they hug.

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Favorite scenes:
Oh that’s hard. So many. The whole interaction between Lois and the Kents or Smallville as a whole. And in particular the fax-scene and the couch-scene. It’s just adorable!

Details:
The opening sequence had a car chase right in front of the Daily Planet. Coincidence, huh? (Probably budget reasons, same with Lex only ever using his office for everything from dinner to mayhem.
Was there anyone watching the show who didn’t already know about Kryptonite?
Lois loves caramel apples
Clark took Rachel to Senior Prom.
Bureau 39 recovered Clarks ship in 1966.
The Kryptonite was found a few miles away from the ship
Lois is issued a mobile phone and a laptop for the trip.
Lois’s Smallville dress is actually not polka dots but some blossom pattern on a wine-red backdrop.
Lois took two-step lessons the previous year. A girlfriend convinced her it was a great way to meet guys
Lois gets Clarkie-bear in Smallville as a prize. Choses it over a Superman doll.
Super hearing doesn’t really come back first. It’s just the first thing he notices.
Jimmy asks to be a field photographer.
Daily Planet photographers: Johnson. Sevens.

Quotes:
CLARK (waiting with Lois for the train to pass): It takes as long as it takes.
CLARK (to Lois): You were coming off a bit intense.
LOIS (sarcastic parroting): Don’t mind my friend Lois, she’s from Metropolis
LOIS: Intensity might be a crime in Smallville, but in Metropolis it’s a survival skill
LOIS (after being captured): Just in case you’re wondering. This wasn’t in the plan.
LOIS (to Clark): You’re always editing my copy.
PERRY: Jimmy! Don’t you ever, ever hug me again.
PERRY: I’ve been in the newspaper business for 35 years. This is the damnest story I’ve ever seen.
MARTHA (to Lois): Oh, you sure are pretty.
MARTHA (silent mouth to Clark about Lois): I love her.
RACHEL (about Lois): Oh, her.
RACHEL (to Jimmy): Clark ever mention me?

Plot bunnies:
Wayne Irig was in probably within hearing distance when Trask called Clark Superman.

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
T
Toomi8 Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
T
Originally Posted by Darth Michael

wave Michael

I love that line. Martha's barely met Lois and already is matching them up!

Features Writer
Features Writer
Originally Posted by Toomi8
Originally Posted by Darth Michael

wave Michael

I love that line. Martha's barely met Lois and already is matching them up!

This is also one of my favorite lines/scenes!

T
Toomi8 Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
T
Catching up!

The outfit the costume person put Lois in when she first gets to Smallville is awful. The two toned brown jacket and the strange top underneath catches my eye in a way it shouldn't. The next day she's got the same jacket on, with a different shirt on underneath.

When Martha asks if Lois and Clark are together when assigning sleeping arrangements, the look on Clark's face cracks me up. I can almost hear the 'Moooom!'

When Clark is first exposed to Kryptonite, he collapses quickly, remarking he feels strange, not that he's in pain. Also, why doesn't Jonathan close the lid!!!! Each subsequent exposure to Kryptonite, Clark reacts differently. While it could be argued that continued exposure could give Clark a chance to build some resistance, this first exposure knocks his powers out for more than a day, the second, when he picks up the Kryptonite, we don't know how long he's powerless for. The next time he's exposed is when Mrs. Cox 'tests' the sample and after that, is the cage. Each recovery time is different and sometimes it bothers me... Hence fics goofy

When Jimmy asks Rachel for her help and says that Clark and Lois are in trouble, Rachel responds with "oh... her." Its a funny reaction, immediately followed by Rachel asking if Clark ever mentions her. Not sure if the writers were planning on going anywhere with that?

Trask pours fuel on the ground and ignites it... except fuel doesn't burn that easily. It's the vapor that burns. great for TV, terrible for accuracy!

The sizzling noise that happens when Clark picks up the Kryptonite fueled the idea behind Aftershocks. I was watching this episode one day and that sound effect caught my attention. I imagined Clark's burned hands after being in the Kryptonite cage and the rest of the fic ran from there.

The Kryptonite explodes when Clark throws it at the rock (with some very 90's-esque special effects) and I presume it falls into the pond. Is this pond now off limits to Clark?

There's a fic where Lois overhears the conversation in the kitchen after Clark has been exposed to Kryptonite. I can't remember the name of it, or who wrote it, so if anyone else can, please let me know!

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The pond: Jenn (editor jax) wrote a fun little fic over yonder where Clark got drunk on special green beer brewed in Smallville. I think it's Green Fever.

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard