Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#47 The Measure by Nikki Erlick

But today, when you open your front door, waiting for you is a small wooden box. This box holds your fate inside: the answer to the exact number of years you will live.

From suburban doorsteps to desert tents, every person on every continent receives the same box. In an instant, the world is thrust into a collective frenzy. Where did these boxes come from? What do they mean? Is there truth to what they promise?

As society comes together and pulls apart, everyone faces the same shocking choice: Do they wish to know how long they’ll live? And, if so, what will they do with that knowledge?

I was excited about this premise and actually bought the book. I liked the ideas but for some reason, it just never really hooked me.

Last edited by scifiJoan; 10/24/22 02:20 PM.
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#48 A Family Affair by Robyn Carr

After her husband dies in an accident, Anna learns he had secrets.

Not bad for chick lit. This is the author who wrote the books Virgin River is based on.

Last edited by scifiJoan; 10/30/22 01:18 AM.
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#49 Small Pleasures by Claire Chambers

Set in the 1950s, Jean has a small, predictable life, working at the local paper and taking care of her mother. Then a story about a woman claiming she gave birth without a husband changes her life.

This book started off very slowly. I figured out the mystery of the virgin birth way before Jean did. I did grow to like Jean and felt for her loneliness. The ending felt like it came out of nowhere. An epilogue would've been nice.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#50 City of Likes by Jenny Mollen

A young mother befriends an Instagram influencer and gets caught up in her world.

#51 Of Boys and Men by Richard Reeves

Excellent book presenting evidence of boys/mens issues that society needs to address.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#52 The Maid by Nita Prose

Molly Gray is not like everyone else. She struggles with social skills and misreads the intentions of others. Her gran used to interpret the world for her, codifying it into simple rules that Molly could live by.

Since Gran died a few months ago, twenty-five-year-old Molly has been navigating life's complexities all by herself. No matter—she throws herself with gusto into her work as a hotel maid. Her unique character, along with her obsessive love of cleaning and proper etiquette, make her an ideal fit for the job. She delights in donning her crisp uniform each morning, stocking her cart with miniature soaps and bottles, and returning guest rooms at the Regency Grand Hotel to a state of perfection.

But Molly's orderly life is upended the day she enters the suite of the infamous and wealthy Charles Black, only to find it in a state of disarray and Mr. Black himself dead in his bed. Before she knows what's happening, Molly's unusual demeanor has the police targeting her as their lead suspect. She quickly finds herself caught in a web of deception, one she has no idea how to untangle. Fortunately for Molly, friends she never knew she had unite with her in a search for clues to what really happened to Mr. Black—but will they be able to find the real killer before it's too late?

A light mystery. Molly is likeable yet it is a little confusing as to why she's treated as she is, when it is clear she's on the autism spectrum.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#53 100 Years of Lennie and Margo by Marianne Cronin

A terminally ill 17 year old and and 80 year old woman meet in the art room of the hospital and become friends. Not bad, just not compelling reading.

Last edited by scifiJoan; 12/05/22 11:21 AM.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
#37 Kingdom Keepers 4 - Power Play by Ridley Pearson

The Overtakers attempt to take over a power plant.

#38 - Kingdom Keepers 5 - Shell Game by Ridley Pearson

The Keepers join a Disney cruise, only to be in more peril than they ever were on land.

Both books were okay but I'm a bigger fan of the parks, so that's the bigger draw for me. The cruise thing just isn't really doing it for me, although I do enjoy cruising.

#39 - Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry

Kira was born with a twisted leg. After her mother dies, the elders in the community she lives in must decide if they will allow her to stay (and live) or be banished to die alone in the wilderness. But Kira has a special gift - her sewing abilities, and for a community that thrives on memories of the past, she is selected to repair the Ceremonial Robe used each year at the retelling of their history.

Book Two in the Giver Quartet. It's by far the least compelling story but the similarities and differences between Kira's community and the one Jonas inhibits in the first book are striking and allow for the book to still be a good, fulfilling read.

#40 Messenger by Lois Lowry

Matty (formerly known as Matt in the previous book) has successfully escaped the community he and Kira once lived in. He's made a new life for himself in a new place - one that welcomes people fleeing from harsh communities and those with disabilities. Here, everyone has a True Name based on their job/skills - like Miller, or Mentor (the teacher), or Leader. Matty, who loves to travel to other places through Forest, hopes to one day become Messenger. But a darkness is brewing and Forest is becoming violent...and Matty must make one final journey through Forest to both collect Kira and to let the other places know that Village will be closing...

A good, solid read that finally begins to weave together the threads of the first two books, bringing both Kira and Jonas into a universe where they coexist and where the reader can now understand why this is a quartet.

#41 Lucas on The Line by Suyi Davies

Lucas Sinclair is about to enter a place more dangerous than the Upside Down - high school. His student mentor convinces him to go and try out for the basketball team, which Lucas does because, hey, the other guy has the same skin tone as he does. As a result, his relationships with his best friends and girlfriend (still mourning the loss of her abusive stepbrother over that summer to the Mind Flayer) suffer. He abandons his love for Dungeons and Dragons, he is snippy and short with his friends, and he completely loses his girlfriend when she breaks up with him. It's only when his teammates posse up to harm Eddie, the high school stoner/D&D master/weirdo/guy who has flunked so badly he's way older than everyone else that Lucas snaps out of his selfishness and actively goes to help his friends.

I wanted to like this book. I liked Robin's story. I liked Max's story. But this one just felt wrong. The author spends 99% of his time brining up race that it's unpleasant and totally out of character for Lucas, who has brought up his skintone so infrequently on Stranger Things that I can probably count it on one hand. If this had been more central to the character, I would have overlooked it and chalked it up to "yeah, that's how he is," but the Lucas presented on the show simply isn't like that. And then there were other rookie missteps - like constantly calling The Mind Flayer the "Spider Monster." It always pulled me straight out of the story and finishing the tale became an unpleasant chore.

#42 Son by Lois Lowry

The 4th and final installment of The Giver. They called her Water Claire. She was a woman who was found at sea, rescued, and brought to live in a rustic community. She was a blank slate, unable to remember much of her past or why she had left the place where she'd grown up. There, she'd been a Vessel. She'd carried and grown a Product in her body. The Product had been ripped from her body and taken away and she'd been cast aside to work in the Fish Hatchery instead, because the difficulty in Producing had ruined her body. She had vowed to find that Product, knowing only that he was her son, not even knowing for sure what the committee had planned to call him.

This one is divided into 3 books - the first focusing on Claire's life back in the community of her birth. It details her Production, her subsequent dismissal and reassignment, her struggle to connect with Newchild she'd borne. Book 2 details her life after leaving the community behind, her amnesia, and her slow to return memories. It focuses on her extreme efforts to escape the easy life she'd come to know and love, in an effort to reconnect with her son, even making a terrible deal to help her on her quest. Book 3 is less about her - now years later - but more about the son she's found but who still doesn't know who she is. But he must come to believe the impossible and with all haste so that he can face the evil that threatens her life.

After The Giver (which is one of my favorite books ever), this is a clear and close second for me. Part of it is just knowing the desperation Claire feels in wanting to find her son. As a mom, I get it and would also go to the ends of the world for my daughters. Part of it is just the adventure of it. But it's my favorite of the sequels and the story by far blows the other two out of the water.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#54 American Girls: Social Media and the Secret Lives of Teenagers by Nancy Jo Sales

Instagram. Whisper. Yik Yak. Vine. YouTube. Kik. Ask.fm. Tinder. The dominant force in the lives of girls coming of age in America today is social media. What it is doing to an entire generation of young women? This the subject of award-winning Vanity Fair writer Nancy Jo Sales’s riveting and explosive American Girls.

As the parent of two kids now in their early twenties, this book was horrifying. While I agree with some of her points, there were one or two that I most definitely did not. The author actually cited those sources that had conflicting viewpoints (which I had previously read). Frankly, I thought the other books were better researched on those particular points. Overall, I agree that social media has created some bad situations.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#55 The Lifestyle by Taylor Hahn

When Georgina catches her husband in the act of cheating with her mentee, she decides to save her marriage by participating in the swinger lifestyle. A light read. a diversion. Predictable plot. The main character wasn't that likeable and didn't show as much growth as I would've hoped for.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#56 The Lincoln Highway by Amor Towles

In June, 1954, eighteen-year-old Emmett Watson is driven home to Nebraska by the warden of the work farm where he has just served a year for involuntary manslaughter. His mother long gone, his father recently deceased, and the family farm foreclosed upon by the bank, Emmett’s intention is to pick up his eight-year-old brother and head west where they can start their lives anew. But when the warden drives away, Emmett discovers that two friends from the work farm have hidden themselves in the trunk of the warden’s car. Together, they have hatched an altogether different plan for Emmett’s future.

I'm not sure about this one. I didn't hate it. But I didn't love it either. I was expecting a different type of road trip. I had trouble relating to some of the characters.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard