Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#18 The End of Getting Lost by Robin Kirman

A psychologically suspenseful, cunning love story following a young dancer unable to recall the last year of her life after suffering a head injury on her honeymoon, revealing an intimate portrait of love’s powers—as well as its dangers

I've read a lot of thrillers. And this book was pretty poor in that respect. I hated the characters and there wasn't any suspense. I just didn't care. I had to force myself to finish it. I do NOT recommend this book..

Last edited by scifiJoan; 04/16/22 07:00 PM.
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#19 The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides

The Silent Patient is a shocking psychological thriller of a woman’s act of violence against her husband—and of the therapist obsessed with uncovering her motive.

For a thriller, this one wasn't very impressive. Lots of red herrings and the twist wasn't overly exciting.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#20 Born With Teeth by Kate Mulgrew

I've been getting into Star Trek: Voyager lately and thought it might be fun to read the 'captain's' biography. She has a very colorful life.

Last edited by scifiJoan; 04/29/22 09:57 AM.
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#21 What's Mine and Yours by Naima Coster

A community in the Piedmont of North Carolina rises in outrage as a county initiative draws students from the largely Black east side of town into predominantly white high schools on the west. For two students, Gee and Noelle, the integration sets off a chain of events that will tie their two families together in unexpected ways over the span of the next twenty years.

The summary for this book was deceptive. Most of it didn't occur during the high school integration. The characters were flat. Some of them grew but the foundation wasn't laid out well.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
#11 The Call of the Wild by Jack London

Buck the dog is stolen from his home and sold into service in Alaska at the height of the gold rush. There he lives and works with other dogs under the changing leadership of several mushers, all the while becoming more and more wild in spirit.

It's been forever and a day since I last read this one and found it pleasant to revisit the story. Buck is a likable dog and the story is rich with imagery that makes it simple to envision the wilderness Buck finds himself in. My daughters really enjoyed it too. And the best part is that it seems to have warmed my husband up to the idea of possibly one day getting a dog (I've been a dog owner before and would love to get one, he's never had one and has always been resistant to the idea). It won't be anytime soon, but here's to hoping!

#12 Where The Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls

10 year old Billy Coleman has a case of puppy love - the kind with wiggly bodies and wagging tails. But not just any kind of dogs - he wants two hunting dogs. Since his family is poor, he devises a way to earn money to buy his hounds and together the hunt all over their little section of the Ozark Mountains.

One of my favorite books, I just read this one a year or two ago and wasn't actually planning to reread it just yet. But my daughters actually begged me to read it once Call of the Wild was done and I wasn't going to pass up the opportunity to share it with them. As always, I blubbered and cried my way through the ending, only this time I had an audience to witness it. But that was okay, since they were crying just as much. (Hubby wasn't but he was less impressed with the book than the rest of us.) I just took the 1974 movie out from the library today and hopefully we'll watch it tomorrow or the next day. (The 1974 version is the only good one, I've seen the remakes and they just don't capture the book's spirit in the same way.)

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
#13 Tales From the Perilous Realm by JRR Tolkien

An assortment of short stories and poems that don't really intersect at all.

I found this one hit and miss. I loved the Roverandom story, for example, but found my attention straying during the poems. I do love The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, and a few of the poems felt familiar. I think they may have been included in some of the appendices in TLoTR.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S

#22 The Parodox Hotel by Rob Hart

January Cole’s job just got a whole lot harder.

Not that running security at the Paradox was ever really easy. Nothing’s simple at a hotel where the ultra-wealthy tourists arrive costumed for a dozen different time periods, all eagerly waiting to catch their “flights” to the past.

Or where proximity to the timeport makes the clocks run backward on occasion—and, rumor has it, allows ghosts to stroll the halls.

None of that compares to the corpse in room 526. The one that seems to be both there and not there. The one that somehow only January can see.

I like scifi. I love time travel. This was an interesting premise but not compelling reading. Not sure if I was being lazy, but I had trouble following the details of the plot.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#23 One Italian Summer by Rebecca Serle

When Katy’s mother dies, she is left reeling. Carol wasn’t just Katy’s mom, but her best friend and first phone call. She had all the answers and now, when Katy needs her the most, she is gone. To make matters worse, their planned mother-daughter trip of a lifetime looms: two weeks in Positano, the magical town Carol spent the summer right before she met Katy’s father. Katy has been waiting years for Carol to take her, and now she is faced with embarking on the adventure alone.

But as soon as she steps foot on the Amalfi Coast, Katy begins to feel her mother’s spirit. Buoyed by the stunning waters, beautiful cliffsides, delightful residents, and, of course, delectable food, Katy feels herself coming back to life.

And then Carol appears—in the flesh, healthy, sun-tanned, and thirty years old.

This was a fun read. I didn't like some aspects of the main character but it was an interesting story.

#24 Dare Me by Meg Abbott

Addy Hanlon has always been Beth Cassidy's best friend and trusted lieutenant. Beth calls the shots and Addy carries them out, a long-established order of things that has brought them to the pinnacle of their high-school careers. Now they're seniors who rule the intensely competitive cheer squad, feared and followed by the other girls—until the young new coach arrives.

I'm officially done with this author. Some of her previous works have provided interesting insights into the worlds of competitive gymnastics and medical research. Otherwise, the characters are not likeable and treat each other horribly.

#25 Apples Never Fall by Liane Moriarty

If your mother was missing, would you tell the police? Even if the most obvious suspect was your father?

This is the dilemma facing the four grown Delaney siblings.

The Delaneys are fixtures in their community. The parents, Stan and Joy, are the envy of all of their friends. They’re killers on the tennis court, and off it their chemistry is palpable. But after fifty years of marriage, they’ve finally sold their famed tennis academy and are ready to start what should be the golden years of their lives. So why are Stan and Joy so miserable?

I've read a lot of this writer's work and would not consider it her best one. But it was entertaining. There was enough mystery to engage my attention. And some decent character development.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
#14 The Borrowers by Mary Norton

Under the floors and in the walls, a family of tiny little people live in secret, believing that us "human beans" exist solely to serve them via the things they "borrow" from us to make a living for themselves. But they must never be seen. Of course, that means that Arrietty is seen on her very first borrowing...

Cute enough story if not a little sad at the end. I've seen "The Secret Life of Arrietty" and the old "The Littles" TV show from back in the late 80s (I believe it was), so it was nice to see the source material for it.

#15 The Twits by Roald Dahl

Mr. and Mrs. Twit are the two foulest people you'd never want to meet. They are constantly cruel to one another until, at last, they get their comeuppance

My daughter wanted to read to Mom and Dad for a change. She found the book hilarious. We found it gross, tedious, and morbidly unfunny. But we're not 8 years old anymore. wink

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#26 Version Zero by David Yoon

Max, a data whiz at the social media company Wren, has gotten a firsthand glimpse of the dark side of big tech. When he questions what his company does with the data they collect, he's fired...then black-balled across Silicon Valley. With time on his hands and revenge on his mind, Max and his longtime friend (and secretly the love of his life), Akiko, decide to get even by rebooting the internet. After all, in order to fix things, sometimes you have to break them.

But when Max and Akiko join forces with a reclusive tech baron, they learn that breaking things can have unintended - and catastrophic - consequences.

This was an intriguing concept but I never felt like the details were well fleshed out. Many Goodreads reviewers compare it to The Circle or Black Mirror but I felt those were better than this book.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#27 Femlandia by Christina Dalcher

Miranda Reynolds always thought she would rather die than live in Femlandia. But that was before the country sank into total economic collapse and her husband walked out in the harshest, most permanent way, leaving her and her sixteen-year-old daughter with nothing. The streets are full of looting, robbing, and killing, and Miranda and Emma no longer have much choice—either starve and risk getting murdered, or find safety. And so they set off to Femlandia, the women-only colony Miranda's mother, Win Somers, established decades ago.

This seemed like an interesting topic. But it didn't come together for me. The characters were flat and unlikeable. It was hard to relate to any of the characters because only extreme viewpoints were represented.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
#16 The Indian In The Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks

A magic cupboard/key can turn plastic people into real live flesh and blood people.

Read it to my daughters as one of our bedtime stories. They loved it.

#17 DogSong by Gary Paulsen

Inspired by the Eskimo shaman, Oogruk, Russel leaves civilization behind to run a dog sled team into the north.

I was less than impressed with this one. The adventure seemed too short lived and the tie in between Russel's dreams to reality was hokey at best.

#18 Bad Food: Game of Scones by Eric Luper and Joe Whale

Everything in the Belching Walrus Elementary School comes to life when no one is around. One day, the Main Office Supplies decide to take over the Cafeteria and it's up to the food to wage war against the invading tyrants.

My other daughter thought the book was hilarious, and since her sister read The Twits to us, she decided to read to Mom and Dad for a bedtime story. The book was mildly cute at times, but not something I would have read even as a kid.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
Just got back from a trip. I broke my arm in a bike accident while on vacation so I'm typing one-handed.
[#28 The Center of Everything by Jaimie Harrison

Very descriptive with not much going on.

#29 Light Years from Home by Mike Chen

Aliens plus family dynamics? An interesting combo.

#30 Last Girl Ghosted by Lisa Unger
Typical thriller

#31 The Other Family by Wendy Corsi Staub
Pretty transparent thriller. Think I'm done with that genre for a while.

Last edited by scifiJoan; 06/25/22 06:33 PM.
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#32 The Soulmate Equation by Christine Lauren

I'm embarrassed to include this silly romance but I'm having a tough time recovering from the surgery of getting pins put in my shoulder.

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hi Joan,

I hope your recovery goes more smoothly and swiftly now.

And don't feel embarrassed. If ever there is a time for "silly" reading, it is when one is convalescing. If the book helps to lighten your mood, then it has served its purpose and might even be helping you heal thereby.

Feel better soon,
Lynn

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
Hi Joan,

I hope your recovery goes more smoothly and swiftly now.

And don't feel embarrassed. If ever there is a time for "silly" reading, it is when one is convalescing. If the book helps to lighten your mood, then it has served its purpose and might even be helping you heal thereby.

Feel better soon,
Lynn

Thanks Lynn! I appreciate the encouragement.

Joan

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#33 The Paper Palace by Miranda Cowley Heller

t is a perfect July morning, and Elle, a fifty-year-old happily married mother of three, awakens at "The Paper Palace"—the family summer place which she has visited every summer of her life. But this morning is different: last night Elle and her oldest friend Jonas crept out the back door into the darkness and had sex with each other for the first time, all while their spouses chatted away inside.

Now, over the next twenty-four hours, Elle will have to decide between the life she has made with her genuinely beloved husband, Peter, and the life she always imagined she would have had with her childhood love, Jonas, if a tragic event hadn't forever changed the course of their lives.

The ending of this book was ambiguous. With so much history provided, you'd think you'd have a deeper understanding of the characters, But that never happened, And by the end, I just didn't care.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#34 The Stranger im the Lifeboat by Mitch Allbom

What would happen if we called on God for help and God actually appeared? In Mitch Albom’s profound new novel of hope and faith, a group of shipwrecked passengers pull a strange man from the sea. He claims to be “the Lord.” And he says he can only save them if they all believe in him

Can't believe I haven't already read this one. Inspiring and thought provoking,. Just what I needed.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#35 The Other Black Woman by Zakiya Dalila Harris

[
Get Out meets The Stepford Wives in this electric debut about the tension that unfurls when two young Black women meet against the starkly white backdrop of New York City book publishing.

Wish I read the Goodreads blurb first. I hoped this book would provide insights into barriers that minorities encounter in the publishing industry., And even focus on the fact that the two black women came from very different background, That would've been an interesting story. Instead the plot was just ridiculous.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
#19 Big Thunder Mountain Railroad by Tigh Walker, Felix Ruiz

The ancient spirits are angry about the over mining of Big Thunder Mountain, and the mine owner's daughter teams up with some local "bandits" to make him see that he's putting people's lives in danger.

An okay read, but it felt forced and kinda disjointed for me. Still love the Disney Ride though.

#20 Enchanted Tiki Room by Horacio Domingues and Jon Adams

In the Enchanted Tiki Room, birds can talk and magic can bring all your desires to the surface.

A cute read but nothing special. A little hard to read due to writing in the various birds' various accents. The Disney attraction is way better.

#21 Sylvanas by Christie Golden

A telling of the life, death, and unlife of Sylvanas Windrunner - once the Ranger General of her elven people, killed by Arthas Menethil, raised from death as a banshee, and eventual Warchief of the Horde. It explores how she comes to strike an alliance with Zovaal and why she wants to help him break the cycle of life and death.

Well written in terms of nailing the character voices and I loved the insight into her early life. However, I'm not sympathetic to the character (I've played Horde-side in Warcraft since I started playing in 2006) - she is and will always be an absolute traitor to my people. And the book had some huge, glaring time jumps that I hated - they just felt so WRONG to leave out. I mean, the moment of Sylvanas' death at the hands of Arthas is kind of a huge deal, and we're just sort of stuck with her waking up dead at one point.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard