Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
I wonder how many people here can relate to this writer's manifesto.

Incidentally, if you are wondering about the title, it is a riff on the title of a feminist song of the 1970's: I am Woman, Hear Me Roar.

As always, all comments appreciated.

Last edited by Lynn S. M.; 12/19/21 12:59 PM.
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
The pen doesn't make me feel allmighty. But there is a movie that uses that idea in a very amusing way. "Stranger than fiction" If you haven't seen it, yet, I recommend doing so. I think you might like it.

I like this story.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Barbara,

Thanks for the feedback and the movie suggestion. I have already seen "Stranger than Fiction" and did, indeed, enjoy it. Another movie in this vein is "The Purple Rose of Cairo."

Joy,
Lynn

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Don't you have the writer's gender reversed? Besides, as a fully committed male writer, I, personally, would never behave in such a superior and omnipotent manner toward my characters.
[wait for it...]

rotflol rotflol rotflol Sorry, I couldn't resist. My stories are famous (or infamous, perhaps) for putting either Clark or Lois in a situation that few - if any - other writers would even consider. So yes, I can certainly relate. And isn't it fun?

[Linked Image]

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Terry,

Thanks for the feedback.

Ya know, I have no idea why my muse made the character a man. To be honest, I originally planned for the piece to be only the manifesto. I decided to include the introductory paragraph only because the FFF web site only accepts fiction. And while the manifesto's in-story author is a bit more grandiose/megalomaniacal than I am in my own thinking, the manifesto by itself could arguably be called nonfiction. The inclusion of that first paragraph puts it firmly into the realm of fiction.

I think I may have made the character a man because I had had Mr. Incredible in the back of my mind when I wrote the piece. (Incidentally, I can relate to Bob Paar with regard to his boss; my own now-former boss is one of the main reasons I chose to take an early retirement.)

But I have been known to comment that when I write, I am more powerful than Superman. And yes, it is fun to put poor Clark into uncomfortable situations. My own style (as you know) is more toward the squirming-in-embarrassment variety rather than the life-or-relationship-threatening kind. But I do enjoy seeing him try to worm his way out of those predicaments.

Joy,
Lynn

Top Banana
Top Banana
Have you read the novel 'Billy Summers', by Stephen King? There's a bit in there that talks about the power of writing to make the world any way you want.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Annie B.

I've never read anything by Stephen King; I do not anything remotely horror-related. My "It" story is about as close as I ever want to get to the horror genre.

Having said that, I have heard that Mr. King is an outstanding writer; therefore, I'm delighted to be on the same wavelength as him in something writing-related.

Joy,
Lynn

Top Banana
Top Banana
Believe it or not, 'Billy Summers' isn't horror--it's a crime thriller (with occasional shout-outs to 'The Shining'). A killer for hire who only kills bad people (and who discovers a talent for writing along the way).

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Annie B.,

Interesting. I had thought Stephen King only wrote horror. But in my opinion, at least, if "crime thriller" isn't a sub-genre of horror, it is still too horror-adjacent for my taste.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard