Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#288778 04/18/21 03:51 PM
Pulitzer
OP Online Content
Pulitzer
Was there a moment in the show where Clark told Lois that he was adopted, or was it one of those things that just happened off-screen?

~•~
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I think the closest he comes is strongly hinting at in in the GGGoH. Lois did not pick up on that hint, though.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally Posted by Queen of the Capes
Was there a moment in the show where Clark told Lois that he was adopted, or was it one of those things that just happened off-screen?

In the episode 1-02 Strange Visitor From Another Planet the opening scene has Clark talking about the pain of being adopted; however, in the series, there was no on-screen reveal of this.

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Oops. Of course -- I had been thinking of the conversation from SV, not GGGoH. I think it's time for a re-watch of the series... Thanks for the correction.

I'll take this opportunity (after I have wiped the egg off of my face) to say that the phrase "strange visitor from another planet" has always bothered me. I know it goes back a long way, but it never seemed to me to be appropriate. The word "visitor" implies that the individual is planning to stay only for a possibly long, possibly undefined, but finite length of time, after which s/he intends to leave. It is Clark's intention to call Earth his home for the rest of his life; therefore, a phrase such as "strange resident from another planet" or "strange immigrant from another planet" would be much more fitting.

Last edited by Lynn S. M.; 04/18/21 09:15 PM.
B
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
B
Maybe that is because the Phrase is from an early time where the Background Story for Clark wasn't that fleshed out. I believe to have read that a recurring Topic of early superman stories was that he didn't fell as he belonged to earth citizens or so, maybe he thus saw himself as a "Visitor" instead. I also rerember to having read that in the Radio series from the 1940 Clark landed not as a child but as a fully-adult Kryptonian instead... Or it was just one of These phrases that had a good Sound but no one bothered to much about deeper implications...

Up, up and away - to the next fanfic.
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
BlindPassenger. you make some very good points about the phrase's possible origin; it could be similar to "able to leap tall buildings in a single bound" -- a phrase that seems a silly understatement now, but made perfect sense before Superman had been able to fly. But I wish both phrases were treated the same way phone-booth-changing typically is these days -- as a humorous nod to Superman's past.

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard