Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Toomi8 Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
T
I planned this last part as a short and sweet end to the trilogy, however, it turned into a much larger fic than I had imagined! Several months ago I began writing some ideas for a pic based in the episode 'The Phoenix' and this seemed like the perfect story to integrate that into. Due to length, I've split it into four sections, a through d.

Part 3a is posted here.

Part 3b is posted here.

Part 3c is posted here.

Part 3d is posted here.

That's it!

Enjoy!

Last edited by Toomi8; 04/03/21 06:33 PM.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer

Part 3a

Lois and Clark go on stakeout and Jimmy gets to watch Pearl Jam. Neat way to open up Part 3!

She felt her control of her emotions returning as this was familiar ground. Henderson was a familiar, trustworthy person and she was in a recognizable pattern: go to the precinct, make a statement, write the story, go home. “I’ll meet you at the precinct, Clark.” She handed him the keys and kissed him, before leaving with Henderson.

It is familiar ground, yet why do I have butterflies wondering why Henderson would appear out of nowhere to take care of loose ends? help

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
T
Toomi8 Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
T
Originally Posted by Morgana
It is familiar ground, yet why do I have butterflies wondering why Henderson would appear out of nowhere to take care of loose ends? help

Hmm.... I've got another fic on the go that has a lot of Henderson in it, so I wonder if my mind just assumed something and didn't write it in? I did have this in...

She heard a car door slam and a familiar, yet bygone, voice called out.

“Lane, Kent. I had a feeling you two would be in up to your eyeballs in this!”

“Henderson!” Lois reacted with surprise, stepping out of Clark’s hug, but not out of his arms. He’d taken a promotion to another city shortly after Lex had died, and it was a pleasant shock to see him now.

“In the flesh,” he said wryly.

“Are you back in Metropolis to stay?” Inquired Clark.

“No. When I heard Luthor was on the loose I had to come and see it for myself. I’m here to finish up old business with him.”

Do you think it needs more? There's a really good chance I'm missing something in the flow of this.

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Part 3 was an intersting mix of two of my favourite episodes. I like your revelation and the tension between them.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Do you think it needs more? There's a really good chance I'm missing something in the flow of this.

All I can think of is a little more background about why Henderson would leave Metropolis? After all, he is Lois' favorite good guy besides Clark!

Have not finished reading the story yet. Work calls. razz

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Part 3B

Glancing around her apartment she saw shadows of Lex everywhere. After his death she had removed any items he had given her, any pictures of him, anything that reminded her of him, but she couldn’t remove the memories of him in her home. Thankfully that hadn’t been often, he had preferred the luxury of his own living quarters, but she had recollections of him idly touching her belongings, inspecting her book collection, browsing her VHS tapes. She shuddered as she remembered feeling as though her choices were below his expectations of her. Maybe she should redecorate soon, reorganize and get rid of some stuff. Perhaps those memories, far more infrequent all these months later, would stop. She smiled weakly at Clark as he exited her bedroom, hoping he wouldn’t leave soon.

What a masterful description of Lois and Lex's relationship. These two had nothing in common. Lois truly dodged a bullet! spider

Simply the fact that his mere presence in the apartment made her nervous should be very telling. Love, means being tickled to death that your heart's desire is in your home space.

Morgana

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Part 3c

Finally feeling tired, and not having any better ideas than to pull Clark’s glasses off when he least expected it, she headed to bed.

This is an excellent line! What an emotional moment for Lois! Sorry, but it made me laugh! blush

He held her for a few minutes before leaning down to kiss her. She’d missed this. They hadn’t argued, but she had felt herself distancing from him while her mind played tricks on her regarding his potential other identity. She was still mad that he’d run out on her two nights ago, and if he was living a double life, there was the beginnings of an anger and sadness that he hadn’t told her the truth already. She tried hard to stomp those feelings down as they weren’t substantiated. There would be nothing worse than being angry at Clark due to her own imagination. How would she explain that to him?

Clark, it is time to come clean. Lois is suspecting all kinds of things and none of them will be good if a confession isn't forthcoming!

Thirty minutes later and she was slowly getting closer to Clark’s place. Downtown had been a disaster, despite her initial assessment that traffic wasn’t bad. Every light she’d arrived at had turned red, and in her frustration she was finding herself drifting more than a little over the speed limit. She forced herself to check her impatience, getting a ticket right now would not be conducive in getting her to Clark before Diana got there!

Sounds like traffic in NYC at anytime!

“I’m not asking you to. Superman knows what’s best for him and the risks he can take. If we don’t do this, there’s no other option that you know of at the moment?” As the doctor shook his head, she forged ahead. “Then we try his idea. Get him whatever you need him to sign to release him, and we’ll be on our way.”

Now would be a great time for Dr. Klein to show up!

“Thank you, doctor.” Lois felt a small amount of chagrin for not bothering to learn the doctor’s name.

“Miss Lane, if this doesn’t work, don’t approach him. I’m not sure what he has planned but if he is radioactive, it could kill you.”

She gulped at the seriousness of his tone, thanked him for the warning, and hopped into the drivers seat.

Oh yeah, we need Bernie now! If this doesn't work, he will be radioactive. help

“Go back to the hospital. Mayson is on duty tonight watching over Mr. X. Diana is going to try to get to him there, I’m sure of it. Warn Mayson that Diana is the assassin. She’s the one that had the Kryptonite. She kissed me last night, that’s how I must have ingested it.”

Why would Mayson be on duty to watch over Mr. X?

Beneath the increasing worry she felt for Clark at his current absence, she could feel a slow simmering anger beginning to grow as she remembered many of his excuses, and her interactions with both Clark and Superman. She shook herself out of her thoughts. She had a story to write, and if she sat here and continued that train of thinking, she’d end up either a blubbering mess, or a volcano, ready to erupt at any moment.

Oh boy....

Morgana

T
Toomi8 Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
T
Originally Posted by bakasi
Part 3 was an intersting mix of two of my favourite episodes. I like your revelation and the tension between them.

Thank you smile1

T
Toomi8 Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
T
Originally Posted by Morgana
Part 3c
This is an excellent line! What an emotional moment for Lois! Sorry, but it made me laugh! blush

Don't be sorry, was supposed to be a moment of humor.

Sounds like traffic in NYC at anytime!

Ugh... I live in a tiny town (by NYC comparisons!), it takes me 7 minutes to get across town in the morning to get to work. It can take me 45 minutes to do the SAME DRIVE back home.

Why would Mayson be on duty to watch over Mr. X?

Eep! You are right! Why would Mayson be on duty! I'll be fixing that

K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
Hi! I’m doing Kerth reading, so here I am trying to leave comments when I can!

I really enjoyed this trilogy! My favorite parts were 1 and 3, for sure! You have some really great insights on the characters. And of course, who doesn’t love the whole premise of them actually kissing when she’s over at his house hiding from The Prankster?? It was really interesting to see the arc of episodes through this new lens of them being in a relationship. And the revelation was really good!

Here’s one of my favorite lines:

If all of her previous relationships had turned into federal disasters, what would she classify this one? Superman wasn’t from Earth, would it be a galactic disaster? Where was Krypton? If it wasn’t in their own galaxy, could it be a universal disaster?

lol Poor Lois!!

And I loved this bit of introspection:

Feeling more relaxed now the storm of tears and anger had passed, the aspirin taking care of her headache, she pulled the blanket draped over the back of the couch over her, still staring at the window. With a growing feeling of dread, she recalled the night Superman had flown through that window, at her request, as she had told him she’d loved him, and would love him, even if he was an ordinary man. She felt queasy as she finally understood the haunted look on his face, the harsh words he had spoken making sense now. He couldn’t believe her because she had just turned down the ordinary man.

Thoroughly chagrinned at that memory, she tossed the blanket aside, and began to pace around the living room, reliving the encounters she could remember, where she had either compared Clark unfavourably to Superman, or fawned all over Superman, while ignoring Clark. It was an embarrassing trip down that memory lane, and while she still felt anger over his deception, she also felt mystified as to why Clark would want her, when she had been so cruel to him.

He was an enigma, far more complicated than the farm boy from Kansas she had pegged him for that first day they worked together.

love

Thanks for the waffy/fluffy read!

Sara smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard