Print Thread
#288578 03/25/21 06:24 PM
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi all,

I just came upon a really nice writing resource. Have you ever had a word on the tip of your tongue, but couldn't think of it for the life of you? The siteOneLook dictionary site will let you look up words if you can remember parts of them. (For example, it begins with a "t" and has something to do with rain.) It also has a straight-forward reverse-lookup dictionary. For example, if you forgot the word "henchman," you could look up "villain's assistant." The site will come up with 100 suggestions for whatever you type. After the first few, the answers can become amusingly irrelevant. So if you don't get what you want, you might at least get a laugh.

When I typed in "villain's assistant" the very first suggestion was "henchman". But some other, more unusual, suggestions were: Kahn, face, elf, and Cain. (I am guessing that the last one was based on Abel's brother and not on a certain actor.)

- Lynn

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
I dunno, how well do any of us really know Dean? wink

But that does look cool, thanks!!

~•~
B
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
B
Oh, that sounds cool, especially for me as someone for whome English isn't the first language, that could be helpful.
Thanks for the rec, Lynn.
PS: No we know how Lex came back from the dead. His Henchman, Mr. Cain, forced the Producers to write it :-)

Up, up and away - to the next fanfic.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oh, very cool! Bookmarked it for future reference, thanks!

I also find WritingPrompts helpful to stir the muse up from time to time.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Neat! My computer's Thesaurus could use some backup!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
S
Columnist
Columnist
S
Smithsonian magazine just had an article on literary inventions. Definitely a different perspective on how to make a story compelling--and maybe story options to get out of a tight spot.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/inno...oscience-behind-how-they-work-180977168/

Shallowford

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard