Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#48 Secrets of Happiness by Joan Silber

When a man discovers his father in New York has long had another, secret, family—a wife and two kids—the interlocking fates of both families lead to surprise loyalties, love triangles, and a reservoir of inner strength.

That description sounded interesting. But it wasn't really what the book was about. The first chapter started this story. Then every other chapter followed a different character that was distantly related to the first story. Sometimes it took reading the entire chapter to figure out the connection. Most of the characters made the point that money doesn't equal happiness. But most made terrible choices and were not the least bit happy.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
#31 Disney Kingdoms: Figment 1 - Journey Into Imagination by Jim Zub

I will preface this by saying that Figment, the little purple dragon, has been an absolute favorite character of mine since my very first Disney trip in 1989, at the ripe old age of 6 1/2 years old. So, I was VERY excited to find that he has his very own comic books!

Blair Mercurial is an inventor who works for a school. Deciding that dream power is going to power the future, he creates a machine, powered by a helmet, the Mesmonic Converter. With it, he brings his childhood imaginary friend, Figment the dragon, to life. But the machine is unstable and Blair and Figment are sucked into a different dimension - into the world of Imagination, where they meet several new characters, some good (like Fye) and some evil (Nightmare). Together, they must battle their way back to Earth and Blair harnesses the power of his imagination, becoming the Dreamfinder in the process. But things back on Earth aren't so great - the chairman of the school has accidently unleashed an evil creature whose army is destroying London...

As a huge Disney/Figment fan, I adored this story. I grew up knowing Figment and Dreamfinder (who has unfortunately been ousted from the theme park ride and been replaced by Eric Idle as an Imagination Institute researcher - nothing against Eric Idle, he's awesome), and as I said, I was ecstatic to find they had their own comic. The story made sense for the characters and deepened both backstories in a very charming, creative way. I couldn't put it down!

#32 Disney Kingdoms: Figment 2 - Legacy of Imagination by Jim Zub

Dreamfinder and Figment are back! This time, after having saved London, they travel 100 years into the future - to our present time. There they crash land into the new school - moved now to Florida. The school looks EXACTLY like the Imagination Institute in EPCOT in Disney World. And there's a EXACT replica of the Spaceship Earth dome - pegged as a mysterious energy source no one at the school can figure out. Energy reserves at the school are waning, and Dreamfinder is asked to help. But doubts plague him and when he tries to usse his Mesmonic Converter, those fears become a sentient creature and turn into the Doubtfinder. Figment escapes and finds a new ally in the form of Capri - Dreamfinder's great-great-great-grand niece. She, like Dreamfinder, is full of dream power, and together this new sort of misfit team work to free the academy of the Doubtfinder.

Again, I thought the tale was spot on for the characters. I easily read Figment's lines in his voice from the ride - it totally maintained that childlike wonder and optimism he's known for. I loved the references to Disney World, and even Walt himself - Walt's saying "If you can dream it, you can do it" makes an appearance. My only regret is that there are no more comics!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
66) Pearl Harbor Papers by Donald M. Goldstein this is a look into the Japanese plans for a Pearl Harbor and draws from Japanese sources including interviews with some of the key planners and participants.

67) Empire and Jihad: The Anglo-Arab Wars of 1870-1920 by Neil Faulkner this while interesting in the sense of explaining the issues that continue to plague the region and the ugly legacy of British imperial ambitions, also meanders in some parts which detracts from the narrative

68) Khubilai Khan: His Life and Times by Morris Rossabi I was expecting more from this than what was delivered, but it was still a good insight into the life of Khubilai Khan and what it was like in Yuan Dynasty court

Last edited by Crazy_Babe; 10/17/21 05:46 AM.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#49 Give Me Your Hand by Meg Abbott

This psychological thriller was about the relationship between two girls who were friends in high school. When one learns the other's horrible secret, they part ways. Years later, they end up in the same competitive research lab.

I've read other books by this author. She wrote one about a family with a daughter that was a competitive gymnast. Having dealt with that myself, I could see that a lot of that rang true so I thought I'd give this book about a research scientist a chance. Meg Abbott manages to get some buzz words about science and research correct. But on the whole, it is ridiculous. Add to that, the logic of the plotline was a train wreck. Such as, an accident takes place before your eyes in the lab and some one is gravely injured. Instead of calling 911, you enter into a cover-up with the person you fear and don't trust? This book was a waste of time.

Last edited by scifiJoan; 10/11/21 09:41 AM.
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#50 Mary Jane by Jessica Anya Blau

"Almost Famous" meets Daisy Jones and the Six in this funny, wise, and tender novel about a fourteen-year-old girl’s coming of age in 1970s Baltimore, caught between her strait-laced family and the progressive family she nannies for—who happen to be secretly hiding a famous rock star and his movie star wife for the summer.

Having grown up in the 70s, there was a nostalgic feel about this book. I liked Mary Jane but felt like the author could've done more with the situations she presented. Essentially, Mary Jane saw her straight laced parents as bad and the drug using hippies as good. Showing the shades of grey on both sides would've made a more interesting read.

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
69) Why Nations Fail: The Origins of Power, Prosperity and Poverty by Daron Acemoglu and James A.Robinson this is an interesting analysis into what types of economic policies bring power and prosperity to nations and how at the same time other measures continue to drive the poverty divide in others. That said, it ends up being rather repetitive in its analysis and arguments.

70) The Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Mushashi considered to be one of the greatest swordsman in Japanese history, Mushashi’s writings are studied in much the same way as that of Sun Tzu’s The Art of War, the only difference being is that Mushashi’s approach I found to be a little more on the philosophical side.

71) The Way of the Samurai by Inazo Nitobe Bushido, the code which the samurai abide by is explored in this text using the concept of the chivalric knights of the medieval era as a means of explaining a code that few people outside of Japan have heard of.

72) The Rise and Rule of Tamerlane by Beatrice M. Manz this is the last book of a boxed set I have put together by the Folio Society exploring the lives of three of the most famous Mongol conquerors. Like it’s two predecessors, this end up leaving me with more questions than the answers I’d hope to have, but still a good overview

73) Afghanistan: A Military History from Alexander the Great to the War Against the Taliban by Stephen Tanner well research and well written account of the troubles that have plagued Afghanistan since the time of Alexander the Great. Given the recent return of the Taliban to power, it is a study into how successive powers have failed in their attempt to take control of Afghanistan. This was originally published in 2002 and revised after the election of Barack Obama, so the later chapters aren’t really relevant to the current situation, but is clearly written to demonstrate what drives the deep divide within the country

Last edited by Crazy_Babe; 10/29/21 06:59 AM.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
#81 At Dawn We Slept by Gordon W. Prange Comprehensive analysis of the lead-up to the Pearl Harbor attack from both the Japanese and the American viewpoints. The volume does not include Yamamoto's post-attack speech "I fear that we have awakened a sleeping giant and filled him with a terrible resolve." Apparently, according to most historians, Yamamoto neither spoke nor wrote this line - it came from the closing scene of the movie "Tora! Tora! Tora!" An outstanding history of the leadup to the attack, the actual event, and the repercussions to the American commanders.

#82 The Price of Valor by David A. Smith Biography of Audie Murphy, America's most highly decorated enlisted soldier of World War 2. His life and his finances after the war were damaged by his PTSD, his gambling problems, some very poor movie roles - attributed by the author to bad writing, weak direction, and lack of money - his philandering, and his too-easy trust in unreliable people, which drained his cash supply. I was surprised to learn that also wrote lyrics to several country hits of the 50s and 60s. He died in a plane crash in May 1971 and was eventually interred in Arlington National Cemetery, as befitting his Medal of Honor.

#83 The Last Thing He Told Me by Laura Dave As SciFiJoan reported, this is quite entertaining. Hannah is dropped into a mystery where she learns that nothing in her life is as she thought. Her husband isn't who he said he was, his past isn't what he said it was, and her stepdaughter isn't who she's supposed to be - but the stepdaughter doesn't know it. Tense drama where the private citizen overcomes the danger and pitfalls of corporate fraud and mobbed-up extended family. There's a high cost, but there's also a powerful payoff: love and sacrifice are often conjoined twins.

#84 Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan by Vonda M. McIntyre Novelization of the best Star Trek movie from The Original Series (TOS). Much more information on Saavik's past, the scientists at the Regulus lab, the interaction between Khan and Joachim, his most faithful servant and friend, plus much more about Carol and David Marcus and their interactions with Jim Kirk. Of course, Spock is the hero. A familiar story, well-told and still worthy of a sniffle or three.

#85 Dangerous Secrets by Mari Mancusi The backstory for Elsa and Anna's parents Agnarr and Iduna and how they fell in love. It's a Disney story, so there is no blood or sex or violence. But there is relationship tension brought on by Iduna's reluctance to trust Agnarr with an inconvenient truth even after they wed and produce two daughters. If you know the movie, you know their final fate, but you don't know the roads they took both separately and together to arrive there. If you're into Disney, this is worth a read.

#86 Case Histories by Kate Atkinson First Jackson Brodie novel. I don't know why this is a successful series. In this book, Brodie - former police inspector turned private investigator - resolves three seemingly unrelated cases without doing very much. Almost all the action seemed to happen to him instead of originating with him. The intertwined stories are full of sudden violence and fear, but the writing distances the reader from the action. I felt no tension for Brodie, nor did I see the resolution coming because he basically lucked into it. And two of the stories, while there are endings for each, don't seem finished. Maybe the author weaves these lines back into later books, but I doubt that I'll read them. The whole story just felt flat to me and I have more interesting prospects on my to-read list.

#87 Christy Mathewson, The Christian Gentleman by Bob Gaines Christy Mathewson joined the New York Giants baseball club in 1900. From that beginning, he pitched until September 1917 and won a National League record 373 games. He is best remembered, however, as a sincere and genuine Christian man who put his faith in the Lord first in his life. This is a fun read with lots of personal information about Matty and many of his teammates and opponents. When he died in October 1925, his funeral was attended by most of baseball's stars - even the notorious and often anti-social Ty Cobb was there. He left behind a testimony of faith and steadfastness while succeeding in one of the most competitive and difficult occupations in modern society, the major league pitcher.

#88 The Perfect Secret: Jessie Hunt #11 by Blake Pierce Jesse Hunt has a lot on her plate. Her boyfriend Ryan is coming home from the hospital and requires physical therapy plus constant care. Her new teaching schedule is going well but is taking up a lot of time. Her sister Hannah is starting her senior year in high school and still has nightmares about the murders she witnessed, as does Jessie. Now her old boss at the LAPD has asked her to investigate a case involving a woman whose neck was snapped at a multi-billionaire's weekend party. Jessie takes the case while trying to balance Ryan's care, Hannah's teen angst and trauma, and her new job. Once again she faces mortal danger, but at least this time she doesn't invite it. Looming over all that is the spectre of a serial killer who battled her now-dead mentor to a draw, but who is returning to California to meet her. Tight story and believable within the rules of the mystery genre.

#89 As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride by Cary Elwes The movie is one of my all-time favorites, and reading Cary's memories of the production was almost like watching it all over again. I never would have dreamed, for example, that Wallace Shawn was terrified that he'd be replaced with no notice, or that Cary Elwes broke his foot trying to drive Andre's ATV up the hill to shoot the scenes between Buttercup and Roberts just after Vizini was dispatched (Cary's limp as he and Robin flee along the bottom of the gorge is real - his foot was broken), or that Andre loved the entire experience on the set partly because, as he said, "Nobody looks at me." Nor did I know that the famous swordfight scene was originally rehearsed to be a little over one minute, and that Rob Reiner demanded much more time, so that was when the horizontal bar came in, along with the gymnastics - or that Mandy Patinkin had four months of sword practice before starting with the swordmaster on the movie while Cary had none. It was funny, informative, and much like sitting down with a friend and chatting over shared experiences. Cary's not a great writer or grammarian, but in this case the important part is the content, not the presentation.

#90 The Perfect Facade: Jessie Hunt #12 by Blake Pierce Jessie lets her old boss at the precinct con her into accepting another case and she manages to solve it with the help of her new lady detective and young male tech expert friends. Her younger sister, looking for dangerous thrills, takes on a child molester and gets him arrested but she doesn't tell anyone what she's done. Jessie's boyfriend Ryan, still recovering from injuries suffered in the line of duty, starts doing desk work with his old homicide unit. And the Night Ranger, an old serial murder from Jessie's dead mentor's past, is still active. Still a fun series with a few unanticipated twists and turns.

#91 Doctor's Orders by Diane Duane Star Trek TOS. On a diplomatic mission to a beautiful and totally unthreatening planet, Kirk decides to pay McCoy back for some of his hard teasing about command and puts the doctor in the Big Chair on the bridge. Of course, complications in the form of time-jumping rocks, Orions, Klingons, and talking trees ensue, with the end result that McCoy is giving the orders when battle looms and the odds are not in favor of the Federation. Both action and character development throughout the story. It's a fun re-read.

#92 Dave Barry Talks Back by Dave Barry A collection of his columns written in response to reader inquiries. Still funny as all git-out (my father was from Tennessee). Guaranteed to make you smile.

#93 Dave Barry Is Not Making This Up! by Dave Barry Another hilarious collection, including The Worst Song Ever Recorded contest and the reader response column And The Winner Is… Slap your knee and ROTFL funny.

#94 The Book of Dragons ed. Jonathan Strahan, art by Rovina Cai Dragons are benign protectors. Dragons are vicious predators. Dragons only care about humans when they cross paths with one. Dragons are ancient Terran life forms. Dragons are trans-dimensional travelers. Dragons were once human. Dragons are incredibly powerful beings capable of terraforming barren planetoids. Dragons and humans are often lovers. Dragons are extra-dimensional invaders. Whatever your preference, you'll find at least one story to match it in this volume. And the art is also breathtaking. Worth a read or two.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
C
Kerth
Kerth
C
74) Survival in The Killing Fields by Haing Ngor despite my love of history (especially military history) I tend to avoid books or documentaries that deal with genocide as I find it too upsetting. Ngor would win the Oscar for his portrayal of Dith Pran a survivor of the infamous Khmer Rouge in Cambodia, but there were few people who knew that he himself was a survivor of the brutal regime. This is a memoir that is raw, powerful and eye opening.

75) The Trouble with Taiwan: History, the United States and a Rising China by Kerry Brown and Kalley Wu Tzu Hui Taiwan is one of those interesting anomalies: a self-governing island nation with a unique culture and economy yet at the same time not officially recognised as a nation state by the major world powers. This is clearly not written for those already familiar with the quandary Taiwan is in as China tries to tighten the noose on Taiwan to force reconciliation in mind because nothing presented is new to me, but it does do well to untangle the complicated web that Taiwan is.

76) The Narrow Corridor: States, Societies and the Fate of Liberty by Daron Acemoglu and James A. Robinson this is the sequel to Why Nations Fail. Like it’s predecessor, it does end up being repetitive in its arguments, but still an interesting look into what leads to the loss of liberty and a failed society. This though is much more academic that the previous book so I did struggle a little more with it.

Last edited by Crazy_Babe; 11/13/21 07:44 AM.

Helen Keller
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
#33, 34 Ghostbusters/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1 & 2)

Okay, I'm a total nerd and as soon as I saw that my library had these crossover comics, I HAD to borrow them. I've been a Ghostbusters fan since I was a kid - I totally had the toys, watched the movies, loved the cartoon series, drank enough Ecto Cooler to fill several Olympic sized swimming pools, even went as Venkman (complete with Stay Puft) for Halloween this year. And I've been a TMNT fan since the movie came out in 1990 - Raphael is my spirit animal. These comic did not disappoint. The characters rang true and while I apparently missed a lot that happened in other comics I had no idea existed, it was easy to follow. (Apparently both Egon and Donatello have died and come back at points, they get to bond over this. Also, we meet the Turtles' very human mother, because apparently they are reincarnated Japanese warriors or something?) Anyway, it was a fun romp that I never expected to see happen, and I loved every moment of it.

#35 The Lost Hero - Rick Riordan

A sequel series to Percy Jackson, this series introduces new demigods and the Greek gods in their Roman forms. Jason, named for the original Jason of the Argonauts fame, wakes with no memory of who he is or why he's thrown into a school group he's never met before. Camp Half-Blood takes him in, but the problem is, Greek (all of the campers at Camp Half-Blood) and Roman (of which Jason is) demigods usually hate each other. But then a new quest begins, as the defeat of Cronus in the original series is only just the beginning of a deeper, more insidious plot to destroy Olympus and the gods. Meanwhile, Percy Jackson has also gone missing...

My family and I are glad to be back in the world of gods and monsters. My kids aren't wild about the inclusion of the Roman stuff (I also much prefer the Greek), but we're all having fun anyway. Personally, I like the Percy series better for a few reasons, mostly surrounding the point of view. In the Percy books, the story is entirely told from Percy's POV, entirely in the 1st person, complete with fun chapter titles. In this series, we constantly change 3rd person POVs between 7 demigod heroes. And in this book, that POV changes with every chapter, making it feel a bit disjointed. We're in the second book now and luckily, that problem had been rectified and we are getting a few chapters in a row seeing the world through each character's eyes.

#36 So This Is Love - Elizabeth Lim

Not my favorite twisted tale, not my least favorite. Here, Cinderella never gets to try on the glass slipper and her stepmother tries to sell her as a slave. Cinderella escapes, only to find a friend who gets her a job working in the palace, as the attendant to the Prince's demanding aunt. But while Cinderella fears that Lady Tremaine may still find her, the real villain is lurking within the palace itself.

I felt like this book was rushed. Characters move too quickly - Cinderella barely gets to know the dutchess and the demanding woman decides to take a liking to her, for example. And while it's fun to see someone other than Lady Tremaine, Anastasia, and Drisella as the villains, they do show up in the book. But when they do, they are barely more than afterthoughts meant to remind you that this is the Cinderella of the Disney movie we all know. They are wasted, with less impact and depth than a piece of wet cardboard. Overall, I felt let down at the end of the book.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
#37, 38 - Batman/ Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1 & 2)

As with the Ghostbusters crossover, we spend one comic in one world (Gotham) and one in the other (NYC). While I liked the overall mashup, I did feel like way too many characters were introduced without really adding much to the story. Also, I am REALLY out of the loop - since when does Shredder have a daughter??? I didn't much care for the "mopey Donnie thinks he isn't strong" storyline in the second comic - it felt like a really poor reason to make the crossover happen. And Robin/Batman's son, Damian? God is he a little [redacted because this is a g-rated forum]. I COULD NOT stand him. His attitude was sickeningly poor. Kind of ruined the overall fun vibe I was hoping to have,

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#51 Empty by Susan Burton

The memoir about a woman with an eating disorder was painful to read. Yet I kept reading, hoping she would figure out how to recover. Turns out, after reading all that, she's still working towards recovery.

Terry, I didn't care for Kate Atkinson's fifth Brodie book either. My daughter keeps recommending this author's Life and Life book (not related to Brodie). I'll have to try that one sometime.

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
77) Tobruk by Peter FitzSimons the story of the garrison at the Libyan port of Tobruk in North Africa pitting British and Australian forces against the famed Afrika Korps led by legendary German General Erwin Rommel. It’s defence was key to keeping Germany from reaching Egypt and the vital Suez Canal and from there the rich oil fields of the Middle East. It is here that the first Victoria Cross (equivalent to the Medal of Honor) for an Australian in WWII would be awarded. This interweaves stories from both sides of the siege as well as stories from the families of the men fighting there giving it a unique voice. Bonus points too for the fact that a forward was written by Manfred Rommel, the only son of the famed Desert Fox.

78) Requiem for Battleship Yamato by Yoshida Mitsuru the battleship Yamato (as well as sister ship Mushashi) was the largest battleship to ever be used in conflict dwarfing the battleships before her and serving as the flagship for Admiral Yamamoto during the Battle of Midway. Her sinking in the Battle of Okinawa signalled the end of not only the Japanese navy in WWII, but also the battleship as being the crown jewel of a naval battlegroup. The author was a young ensign on board Yamato during her last sortie and would survive her sinking and so provides an interesting perspective and one that is rarely read about mixing it with the human cost of war.

Last edited by Crazy_Babe; 11/20/21 04:34 PM.

Helen Keller
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#52 Interior Chinatown by Charles Yu

Willis Wu doesn't perceive himself as a protagonist even in his own life: he's merely Generic Asian Man. Every day, he leaves his tiny room in a Chinatown SRO and enters the Golden Palace restaurant, where Black and White, a procedural cop show, is in perpetual production. He's a bit player here too. . . but he dreams of being Kung Fu Guy—the highest aspiration he can imagine for a Chinatown denizen. Or is it?

This was different. A bit too different for me. It was written as a play in some parts. It made some interesting comments about Asian stereotypes but on the whole, it didn't engage me.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#53 Can't Even: How Millennials Became the Burnout Generation by Anne Helen Petersen

Do you feel like your life is an endless to-do list? Do you find yourself mindlessly scrolling through Instagram because you’re too exhausted to pick up a book? Are you mired in debt, or feel like you work all the time, or feel pressure to take whatever gives you joy and turn it into a monetizable hustle? Welcome to burnout culture.

I started this book thinking it was much whining but after reading it, I do have some sympathy for issues faced by this generation, especially since my kids are dealing with them.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
#39 The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan

The second book in the Heroes of Olympus series, this one follows a different group of demi-gods, all part of the Prophecy of Seven. Here we reconnect with Percy Jackson, who, like Jason in the previous book, has no memories of who is really is. He makes his way to Camp Jupiter, in New Rome, and befriends Frank and Hazel. Hazel is the daughter of Pluto and Frank...well, when his godly father is revealed, he isn't happy. Together, the three travel to Alaska, the land beyond the gods, to do battle with the giants Polybotes and Alcyoneus, recapture the Roman's eagle standard, and make it back to Camp Jupiter to hopefully aid in the war that is coming to the Romans.

I liked this book a lot better than the first one. First, we reconnect with Percy, who I find to be the most interesting character in the series. And second, the pacing was a lot better. Whereas the first one constantly jumped around from POV to POV, this one would follow one character for a few chapters at a time, eliminating the annoying whiplash-like effect that the first book had.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
#95 Ragtime Cowboys by Loren D. Estleman Take a few real people and events from 1921 - like Joseph Kennedy Sr., former Pinkerton operatives Charlie Siringo and Dashiell Hammet, Jack London's daughter Becky and stepmother Charmian, Will Rogers, Wyatt Earp, real-life San Francisco gangster Paddy Clanahan, the Teapot Dome scandal (which destroyed Secretary of the Interior Albert Fall and blackened Warren G. Harding's reputation) - and you have an entertaining if somewhat slow-paced mystery with a literal bang-up finish. Estleman only bent the history a little to make this fit.

#96 The Striker by Clive Cussler and Justin Scott The first case for Van Doren Agency detective Issac Bell. Set against the laborer vs. business owner strife and union-busting by some industrialists, Issac finds his footing and solves a hugely involved case, meets and loses his first love, and eventually solves his first love's murder. Lots of action and little character development, which is typical of Cussler's later works, but still an interesting read. The Issac Bell series is one of several collaborations with other authors, some of which are better than others. If you like straight adventure novels, these will fill the bill.

#97 The Judge's List by John Grisham Lacy Stoltz works in the Florida state agency that investigates wrongdoing by state judges. Her cases involve accusations of bribery, bias, sexual harassment, age-related diminution of faculty, drunkenness or being under the influence on the bench, personal misconduct, and other lesser stuff. Then a woman calls her, insists on meeting outside the office, and in the meeting produces evidence of a sitting judge with a long history of deliberate murder of people who have offended him in the past. Lacy is naturally skeptical, but as the investigation deepens she's convinced. Now all she has to do is get the real police, the ones with criminal responsibility, to listen and believe her. It's a very engaging peek into the psyche of a madman who understands how to be someone he's not, and a look at a life consumed with an obsession that goes beyond a thirst for justice. Highly recommended to Grisham fans.

#98 Outlaw by Ted Dekker The author was born and raised by his missionary parents in the jungle of Irian Java among the Dani people. This novel fictionalizes a widowed Christian missionary's journey to bring the Light to a pagan people, her trials and tribulations, and the son she brought with her who helps her complete her purpose. The tribe described in the story is fictional, but the customs and laws are drawn from real aboriginal tribes in our world. Dekker's narrative rings true because he lived much of it. An openly Christian book accessible by all and sundry.

#99 Texas Ranger: the epic life of Frank Hamer, the man who killed Bonnie and Clyde by John Bossenecker If you recognize the name Frank Hamer (pronounced "hay-mur"), you probably think of character played by Denver Pyle in the Bonnie and Clyde movie with Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway. Hamer masterminded the ambush that killed Clyde Barrow and Bonnie Parker, but he was far more than that. He was a Texas Ranger, a Texas state investigator, a husband, a father and step-father, and the scariest lawman for any lawbreaker to learn was on his trail. He was scrupulously honest, God-fearing, and direct with everyone, sometimes to the point of insult. But he also helped ex-cons go straight with job searches and finances. He was, according to the author, totally even-handed in his treatment of prisoners irrespective of ethnicity. He wasn't perfect - no one is - but he was far more than the vindictive assassin the movie showed. A fun read with lots of history about Mexican-American relations in the early 20th century, plus information about the cultures of the Southwest. Thumbs-up.

Is there a medal for getting to triple digits?

#100 How Much for Just the Planet? by John M. Ford Star Trek TOS. A Federation survery ship discovers a planet just dripping with raw dilithium at the same time a Klingon warship does the same thing. A distress call from the survey ship brings the Enterprise to the scene. Together the two crews contact and interact with the humans on Deridi (the planet) to mine the dilithium so the Organians won't interfere. The human settlement has no defense against the two mighty forces - except laughter. And you'll laugh too. This is far funnier than the Tribbles incident, and that one was laugh-out-loud funny. Three thumbs up.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
#40 - A Frozen Heart by Elizabeth Rudnick

A retelling of the events of the first Frozen movie, from the viewpoints of Anna and Hans. I was expecting some new insights into their motives (especially Hans) but came away feeling like nothing new was offered at all in this lukewarm rehashing of events. I am very glad I snagged this one while it was free for Kindle and that I didn't spend actual money on it. I won't even waste my time reading it to my Frozen-obsessed daughters.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
79) The Lost Mandate of Heaven: The American Betrayal of Ngo Dinh Diem President of Vietnam by Geoffrey Shaw I found out by chance that the assassination of President Ngo Dinh Diem and his brother Ngo Dinh Nhu occurred nearby to my dad’s childhood home in Saigon and that dad remembers quite vividly the commotion of that day, but few books I have on the Vietnam conflict delve into the reasons behind the CIA backed coup. Well written and researched this paints a very different picture of the Catholic Ngo brothers to how history records them and posts the question as to whether their assassination only further destabilised South Vietnam and prolonged the conflict.

80) Japanese Destroyer Captain: Pearl Harbor, Guadalcanal, Midway - The Great Naval Battles as Seen Through Japanese Eyes by Captain Tameichi Hara, Fred Saito and Roger Pineau I have many books on the War in the Pacific, but my collections mainly tells the story of the conflict from the American perspective so it was interesting to see the conflict from the perspective of the Japanese and especially when Captain Hara was one of the few who objected to the use of kamikaze pilots viewing it as against the true concept of bushido.

81) What Really Happened in Wuhan: The Cover-ups, the Conspiracies and the Classified Research by Sharri Markson I don’t generally subscribe to conspiracy theories, but I also don’t trust anything that comes out from China and given China’s history of withholding the whole truth, I’m less inclined to believe their narrative that the current COVID-19 naturally occurred out of the wet markets of Wuhan. Is it natural? Is it man-made? Using the available evidence, the author tries to piece together the story behind the outbreak and the mistakes made by world governments that would lead to the current pandemic.

Last edited by Crazy_Babe; 12/06/21 03:44 AM.

Helen Keller
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#54 The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman

In a peaceful retirement village, four unlikely friends meet weekly in the Jigsaw Room to discuss unsolved crimes; together they call themselves The Thursday Murder Club. Elizabeth, Joyce, Ibrahim and Ron might be pushing eighty but they still have a few tricks up their sleeves.

I wouldn't have picked this up on my own. I read it for a book club. Some of the characters were fun but I wasn't overly invested in the mystery and it didn't come together completely for me.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
#41 - What Once Was Mine by Liz Brazwell

A retelling of Tangled, in this story, Rapunzel's mother didn't drink an elixir made with the Sundrop Flower, but one made with the Moondrop Flower. This gives the unborn Rapunzel a whole set of different powers - the first one displayed in infancy when she becomes upset, cries, and kills a nursemaid with her silver hair. Gothel steps in as a goodwife who will take the baby away (willingly given up by her heartbroken parents) to raise her and teach her until she learns to control her powers. Of course, this is Gothel, so the whole giving her back idea is a lie - instead, Gothel auctions the girl off to some of the cruelest lords and ladies alive, all of whom want Rapunzel for her "murderhair" (as Rapunzel calls it). Flynn Rider/Eugene still appears with a stolen crown and Rapunzel still hires him as her guide to the lanterns (sent up to honor the "dead" princess, as the kingdom knows her to be). Also joining the crew is Pascal and a new character, Gina, an unknown and often overlooked "thug" at the Snuggly Duckling.

I wanted to like this book. I really did. I adore Tangled and I was so excited when I found out a Twisted Tale was coming. And I might have liked it more than I did if the author hadn't done one, super annoying thing. She set the story up as a story within a story, like The Princess Bride. So every once in a while we're dragged out of the story to this hospital room where a boy is coming up with the Twisted Tale to amuse his sister, who is receiving chemotherapy treatments. And I get it - the author's afterword talks about how her own sister went through chemo. But, for me, I loathe being dragged out of a story I'm immersed in to follow some other plotline (I hate the "present day" parts of the Assassin's Creed games for this reason - I don't care about any story but the main one). I also loathe when movies/plays/TV shows/etc break the fourth wall. So that was a huge miss for me and really put a damper on the overall impact of the book.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard