Chapter Eight

Lois Lane jumped, startled by a knock on her window, a window that was six stories above the ground. She saw a shadowy black figure floating outside her window, arms folded across her chest. Lois opened the window wide and stepped back to allow her visitor to enter. Superwoman floated in through the window to land silently opposite Lois’s desk.

Lois sat down, immediately going on offense. Her eyes were steely, her body language gave no hint of fear. “So Lara, to what do I owe the honor of your visit?”

Superwoman tilted her head and paused, seeming to contemplate her response then she sighed. “I was talking to my father and he told me you have a sister. Is that correct?”

Lois eyed her daughter skeptically, unsure why she would want to know about Lucy. Her response gave nothing away. “I do. Is that all you need to know?”

“Does she… know about me?” Superwoman asked quietly. She sounded nothing like the superhero she was.

Lois replied calmly, “She does, in an abstract way. She was with me during delivery and she called your father after your birth so he could pick you up. She doesn’t know about you or your father, though. I’ve never told anyone about that.”

Superwoman said nervously, “I’d… I’d like to visit her. I have no aunts or uncles on dad’s side, so besides you, she’s the only other family I have.”

“You do have another set of grandparents, but you may not want to meet them. I don’t get along with them at all. However, you also have two cousins. Lucy has two boys. The older one, Joel, is twenty and the younger, Eric, is eighteen. Would you like her address?” Lois asked.

“Yes, please.”

Lois wrote Lucy’s address on a Post-It note, then handed it to her daughter. Superwoman looked over the address, then tucked the paper into the waistband of her Suit. Superwoman floated up and moved to the window, then turned.

“Thank you.” Superwoman nodded, then she disappeared with a whoosh.

Lois closed the window and sat down at her desk once more. Compared to their first meeting this one was civil. Maybe it was possible that, someday, mother and daughter could have some sort of relationship. As she sat there, the regret she’d felt ever since she’d read Lara’s first article came to the fore once more. Over the last year she felt as if she’d gotten to know her daughter through her writing and now, she had hopes that she’d get to know her personally.

Lois felt that Lara asking about her aunt might be a good thing. While she knew Lucy had never agreed with Lois’s decision not to be part of her child’s life, she also knew that Lucy had always held out hope that Lois would, someday, change her mind. Lois returned to work, hopeful that Lucy would put in a good word for her.

Lara flew west as fast as she could to San Diego. Since it was three hours earlier than it was in Metropolis, she felt it wasn’t too late to make an unannounced visit. She quickly found Lucy’s address, then Lara looked for a safe place to land and found a park nearby. She flew down and landed behind some trees where she spun into her work clothes, a crisp white blouse and black, knee-length skirt. She saw well-maintained houses with lush green lawns as she made her way to Lucy’s house. Lara walked up the stone path to the front door and rang the bell. A woman of about forty with short dark hair answered.

“Hello. Can I help you?” Lucy said as she looked at the stranger.

“Hello. You don’t know me, but I’m Lara Kent, Clark Kent’s daughter.” Lara watched as Lucy’s expression changed from curiosity to surprise.

“You’re Clark’s daughter?” Lara nodded in the affirmative. “I should have known! You look just like Lois when she was your age. Come in, come in!” Lara passed through the door into an open plan living area containing a living room, dining room, and kitchen that flowed smoothly one to the other. The room was light and airy. The late afternoon sun came in through large French doors that took up most of one wall and gave a great view of the back yard.

Lucy gestured to the couch. “Please, sit down.” Lara sat, her hands folded in her lap.

“So did your father tell you about… your mother?” Lucy asked carefully. “Is that what brought you here?”

“No, he didn’t. About a year ago, I was cleaning out the cellar and I came across an old trunk. Curious person that I am, I opened it and found several scrapbooks with newspaper articles from the Daily Planet that dad had written.” Lara paused before continuing. “I never knew he’d even worked for the Daily Planet. I continued looking through it and found articles by him and his partner, Lois Lane.

“When I found a photograph of the two of them it didn’t take an investigative reporter to know that the woman with my face was my mother. Dad only confirmed what I already knew. I went traveling around the world soon after, so it wasn’t until recently that I decided to investigate Lois Lane a bit more. Once I knew who she was, I searched for anything I could find about her. When I found that Lois had a sister, I looked you up. I’m here on business so I thought I’d stop by and introduce myself.”

“I’m so glad you did! I never agreed with Lois that Clark was not to tell you who your mother is but it was her decision. Now that you know, I hope we can get to know each other.”

While holding back tears, Lara said, “I’m so pleased to hear that. Dad has no siblings, so I had no idea I had any relatives other than him and my grandparents. I want to get to know you and your family too.”

“Our boys are already at school, but I know they’d love to meet you. Where are you living now?”

“I just took a job at the Chicago Tribune. I have a small apartment near there.”

“Oh, so far away?” Lucy asked. “Maybe we can all get together for Thanksgiving? I’d love to see Clark and your grandparents.”

“I’d love that too. I’m sure Dad and my grandparents would love to come. Ummm, if you don’t mind my asking, are you and your mom and dad close?”

Lucy sighed. “You don’t know, do you? No, we’re not close. There’s a lot of baggage there.”

“Oh, that’s too bad,” Lara said, disappointed. “At least I’ve found you and your family.” Lucy and Lara chatted for a while as they got to know each other over a few cups of coffee. After ten more minutes Lara stood up and prepared to leave.

“I really should get going. Thank you so much for everything, Aunt Lucy. I had a really good time.”

“Me too, Lara. I’m sorry you couldn’t meet my husband Ben, but he’s out of town this week.”

“That’s okay. You’ve invited us for Thanksgiving so I’ll meet him and my cousins then.” The two women walked to the door where they embraced.

Lucy said, “You have my number and I have yours. Let’s not be strangers, okay?”

“No way. I’m going to call Dad when I get back and then I’ll let you know about Thanksgiving.” Lara waved and headed down the stone path. She walked back to the park, spun into her suit, then took off for Chicago.

“Hi, Dad!” Lara said excitedly.

“Hi, Pumpkin, how was your first day?”

“Good, Dad. I’m working with George Jones, the Trib’s best investigator. He’s very nice and I had fun working with him.”

“That’s wonderful. I’m glad you’re happy there.”

Lara said carefully, “I am, Dad, but… uh, that’s not why I called. I saw Aunt Lucy tonight.”

There was silence on the other end of the line for a few moments then Clark spoke. “That’s wonderful, honey. Ummm, how did you find her?”

Lara replied neutrally, “I flew to Metropolis and asked Lois for her sister’s address.”

“How did that go?”

Lara grinned then and replied, “Okay. We didn’t try to kill each other if that’s what you’re asking.”

“I’m glad to hear that,” Clark said wryly. “Getting arrested for murder could negatively affect your new job. So how did it go?”

“Great, Dad. Aunt Lucy’s very nice. We had coffee and talked for over an hour and she invited all of us to her place for Thanksgiving. If that’s okay?”

“That sounds like fun. I haven’t seen Lucy since you were born. I look forward to it and I’m sure your grandparents would love to go too. I’ll mention it when they get home.”

“That’s great! I can hardly wait!”

“Ummm, I hate to put a damper on things, Pumpkin but what if Lois is going to be there? She is Lucy’s sister, after all. Do you think you can handle her being there?”

Lara grew quiet while she considered the possibility. Would she be able to be in the same room as Lois Lane for hours and be civil? Would there be a chance that her feelings towards Lois would ruin the holiday for both families?

“Lara? Honey? Are you still there?”

“Yeah, Dad, I’m here…. I don’t know!” Lara exclaimed. “I want to go, to meet Aunt Lucy’s family, and have them meet you, but Lois possibly being there… I just don’t know.”

“Why don’t you take some time and think about it? I won’t say anything until I hear from you, okay?”

“Okay. Thanks, Dad.” Her previous enthusiasm was now gone. “Ummm… I’m going to go now, good night.”

“Good night, Pumpkin. Talk to you later.”

After she hung up with her father, Lara spun into her Suit and took off into the sky. She needed to think and, like her father, she did her best thinking high in the air, away from all earthbound distractions.

Lara flew higher and higher until she was at the edge of space so no sound penetrated from below. She turned onto her back, put her hands behind her head, and closed her eyes. Lara let the silence soothe her, every muscle in her body relaxing until all tension left her.

Now calm, she pondered whether she could be in Lois Lane’s presence for an extended period. Their meeting tonight had gone well, considering. Lois had, at first, seemed antagonistic, but given their first meeting, Lara couldn’t blame her for being on the defensive. Lara thought back to later in their meeting, when she sensed an easing of tension between them. Lois had seemed pleased when she had asked for Lucy’s address. The big question, the one that she needed to answer and be completely sure of, was could she forgive Lois Lane for not being her mother?

Her father seemed to have accepted Lois’s reasons and had forgiven her. He’d told her as much when Lara had questioned him about who her mother was. He knew Lois better than she did. After all, he’d worked with her for more than a year and understood all her baggage. What her father told her of her conception reinforced the notion that Lois was, above all, scared of losing her position as the best reporter in the city. A lot of people defined themselves by their work, and it seemed that Lois was an extreme example of that type of person.

Lara was also able to guess that Lois was not the type of person who admitted to being wrong very often. She guessed that if Lois was conflicted about her decision to give her baby up, she’d discount that conflict and throw herself into her work. The more time passed, the easier it would become to push those concerns away rather than admit her error.

As a young girl, Lara couldn’t understand why her mother didn’t want to be with her. She’d even gone as far as to wonder if she’d done something to make Lois not want to be her mother. Many nights she’d cried herself to sleep wondering how she could be a better little girl. Then, maybe, her mother would come home.

When Lara had reached adulthood, she was mature enough to know that wasn’t the case, but at the time it affected her badly. All that anger had come out the day after the revelation of who her mother was when Lara had let Lois have it with both barrels. Her father had been disappointed in her, though he hadn’t stopped her. He showed her by his actions that forgiveness was preferable to anger.

When Lara considered that unloading on Lois had not given her any peace, she thought that maybe her father was right. Holding on to her anger was only hurting her. Anger would eat away at her making her ultimately, unhappy. While Lara would probably never call Lois “mom,” maybe she could forgive Lois for her choices all those years ago. Lara was still confused and after hours of reflection, she was still no closer to a decision. She turned over and sighed, she needed to talk to her dad.

The next day, George and Lara met with some of the movers and shakers in the city, and when George introduced her as his partner, Lara was pleased no end. Lara absorbed everything George taught her like a sponge. She learned things she’d never learned in journalism school. The day passed so quickly that she was surprised when six o’clock came.

Lara grinned. “Wow, six o’clock already? It seems like we just got started.”

George packed up his briefcase and said, “Some days are like that, and others drag like they’ll never end.” Lara grabbed her purse and the two rode the elevator together. Lara walked to the ‘‘L’’ station, then on to her stop, walking the short distance to her apartment. Lara decided that, rather than cook for herself, she’d fly to Smallville and eat with her family. She locked the balcony doors behind her, then took off into the sky. Lara landed behind the barn, spun back into her work clothes, and hurried to the farmhouse.

Lara walked in just as Martha set the roast on the counter and exclaimed, “Hi, Grandma!”

“Lara! It’s so good to see you!” Martha cried. Grandmother and granddaughter hugged as if they hadn’t seen each other in months.

Lara noticed the table needed to be set and had it done in record time. “Table’s all set, Grandma.”

“Thanks, dear,” Martha replied, then she picked up a knife to carve the roast.

“Where’s Grandpa?” Lara asked.

“He went up to Wichita for a seminar. He should be back any minute.” Just then Clark pulled into the driveway.

Lara exclaimed, “Dad!” and threw herself into his arms the moment he walked in the door.

Clark hugged Lara tightly. “Wow, now that’s the kind of welcome a father could get used to.” He kissed her on the cheek. A moment later, Jonathan pulled the truck into his spot, then he joined his family in the kitchen. Lara helped Martha put the food on the table and they all sat down to eat.

With dinner finished they sat around the table with coffee and slices of fresh hot apple pie a la mode. Clark asked casually, “So Lara, have you given any thought to what we talked about last night?”

Lara sighed with frustration. “That’s all I’ve thought about, Dad. Can we talk?”

Clark stood and pushed his chair under the table. “Walk with me?”

Lara rose and followed her father into the yard.

“What would you like to talk about?”

“Not here, okay?” Lara spun into her suit then turned while Clark spun into his, then the two of them took off, headed west.

Lara flew towards the Rocky Mountains to a beautiful mountain meadow with a babbling stream. They’d had many private discussions there when she was growing up. Lara landed in the middle of the meadow, took off her cape, and she set it on the grass. She sat down and waited while her father did the same.

Lara took off her mask and shook out her long brown hair. “You know, I hate this mask sometimes.”

Clark chuckled. “I told you that you should wear glasses, remember?”

Lara blushed. She certainly remembered that conversation. “I didn’t want glasses, Dad. I know, I know, I can’t have it both ways.”

Lara gazed at her father. She had procrastinated long enough and he seemed to be waiting for her to begin.

Lara sighed, unsure of how to start this difficult discussion. “Dad, you told me about my conception and some of the circumstances concerning Lois giving me up.” She paused before she continued. “I need to know more about Lois before I can make a decision.”

Clark’s expression grew thoughtful. “Maybe if I tell you more about Lois’s background, you’ll understand her better. Lois’s decision not to be actively involved in your life goes back to her childhood.

“Her parents were professionals. Her father, Sam Lane, is a brilliant doctor who specializes in prosthetics. He’s made great strides in the field and has helped a lot of people. Her mother Ellen was a nurse, and from what I know was quite accomplished in her own right. However, both had issues that they were unable to control. Sam was, and probably still is, a workaholic. He was gone a lot, and that didn’t change once they had children. Ellen gave up her career to care for her children, and with Sam gone so much, she probably felt neglected.

Lara listened intently as Clark continued.

“Before I get too far, I should tell you that Sam always wanted a son. From what Lois told me, I believe that fact colored how he interacted with his daughters. Lois told me that she felt as if she was a disappointment from the day she was born.”

Lara reacted immediately. “That’s awful!”

“It is. She told me of one time, when she was ten or so, that she’d gotten the highest score in her class, a 98, on a math test. She was very proud of her accomplishment and couldn’t wait to show her father her paper. When he got home, she rushed over to show him her grade. He looked at the paper and told her that she had two points for improvement. Of course, Lois was devastated.”

Lara felt angry, though she couldn’t say why. “I’m sure she was. Is that all, Dad?”

“No, Pumpkin. Sam was also unfaithful. He had a lot of girlfriends, including a neighbor. Ellen was angry, of course, but her anger turned to self-pity. She began to drink, which, according to Lois, drove her father from the home. With Sam gone, Ellen’s drinking got worse, which left twelve-year-old Lois to pick up the slack. Lois would come home from school to find her mother passed out on the couch with a vodka bottle at her side. She’d have to make dinner for herself and Lucy more nights than not. She had to take over as the parent and nurse. She did this until she turned seventeen when she’d finally had enough and moved out.

“Her father wanted her to follow him into medicine, but Lois wasn’t interested in being a doctor. She loved writing and working on the school paper, and she told her father she was going to pursue a career in journalism. Sam refused to pay for her degree at first but later relented. I’m not sure why, but father and daughter were estranged from then on.”

Lara had listened intently throughout his recitation. “What about her mother?”

“Ellen had to do something once Lois moved out. From what I understand she went into rehab and had been sober for years last I knew. According to Lois, Ellen was a tough person to love. She was down on all men because of her experience and made sure her daughters knew that all men were untrustworthy. Her attitude affected Lois’s relationship with her mother so that over the years they rarely spoke.

“I hope you can understand now why Lois thought that, with parents like hers, she would not be a good mother and would not want to inflict her baggage on you.”

Lara nodded her head, but she still didn’t understand. “I see that, Dad. But she’s not her mother! Why didn’t she want me?”

Clark sighed again, his shoulders slumped.

“It’s not that she didn’t want you, Lara. I firmly believe that. It was just that everything hit all at once. Like I told you, Lois had been dealing with the fallout from her marriage to Lex Luthor—”

Lara jumped on that statement. “I thought you said she didn’t marry him!”

“She told Luthor at the altar that she couldn’t marry him but unfortunately, the laws of New Troy consider the marriage valid when the license is signed and not after the ceremony. The press, the police, and the FBI hounded her for weeks. She was ultimately cleared of any suspicion that she was involved in Luthor’s illegal activities, but it was at the expense of her reputation.”

Lara looked at her father incredulously. “She really didn’t see that he was a crook?”

“No. Luthor was very, very good at hiding his crimes. Some of the smartest people I knew thought he was exactly what he appeared to be, a smart businessman and philanthropist.”

Lara looked Clark in the eye. “You knew though, didn’t you?”

“I did. From the moment I met him I didn’t trust him. You know how, sometimes, you just don’t like a person?”

Lara nodded.

“It was like that with me and Luthor. He set up several tests to determine the extent of Superman’s powers. When I confronted him, all he said was, ‘Let the games begin.’ The problem was, I never had any proof. I tried to tell Lois my suspicions more than once. She thought I was jealous, which I was, but not for the reason she thought. After the Daily Planet bombing, a bunch of us were able to gather enough evidence to prove Luthor’s involvement in a host of crimes, and that led to his suicide. I told you how Mr. Stern bought the paper and reopened it, right?”

“Yeah, Dad.”

“Okay. I’m going to skip over your conception because we’ve already talked about that. I’m also going to skip over our agreement and get right to your birth.

“Lucy was with Lois in the delivery room. She tried to convince Lois to hold you but she refused. I think it was because she knew she’d fall in love with you once you were in her arms and she wouldn’t take that chance. She’d set up an elaborate cover story, so keeping you would not fit the plan. She told me, very specifically, not to keep in touch with Lucy—”

Lara interrupted, shocked. “Why, Dad?”

“Lois knew her sister would keep pressuring her if Lucy had pictures and such. I believe she felt she’d eventually relent, and she couldn’t allow that. By then I’d moved to Smallville, and we had already filed the papers for me to get official custody. For her to keep you would mean she’d have to leave Metropolis too, something she was never going to do. When you add that I had lied to her about Superman, there was no way she was going to marry a liar. She’d been there, done that with other men even before Luthor. I begged her to change her mind, to at least hold you, but she refused. I could tell she struggled, but true to form Lois wasn’t going to change her mind.

Clark looked at Lara with finality. “That about covers it. Do you have any questions?”

Lara swallowed noisily then, she shook her head. “Not right now, Dad, but I’m sure I will. You’ve given me a lot to think about.” She looked into his eyes as another idea came to her. “Oh, there is one more thing…. Do you still love her?”

Clark’s expression softened immediately. “Yes. I loved her then and I love her now. I’ve never met another woman like her and I’d forgive her everything if she asked.”

Lara stood up and fastened her cape around her shoulders. Clark put his cape back on as well.

Lara floated off the ground. “Let’s head back, huh?”

The flight back was silent until they reached Smallville.

“Please tell Grandma and Grandpa thanks for dinner, will you?”

Clark nodded. “Sure thing, Pumpkin. Good night.”

Continued in Chapter Nine