The Final Excuse

„Lois, there is something I need to tell you,“ Clark muttered as he entered the kitchen. His hands were hidden deep inside the pockets of his trousers and his eyes did not quite meet those of Lois as she looked up from her edition of the Daily Planet.

“Yes, Darling?” she replied. The dark pools of her eyes fixed on him, a small frown appearing on her forehead. She still looked so beautiful, even with her ever greying hair and the wrinkles appearing around her eyes. Clark gulped and his heart sped up as he thought about what he needed to say.

“There is no easy way to tell you this,” he hedged, knowing full well, that he had waited far too long.

“Just spit it out, Clark,” Lois said, sounding just a bit annoyed at the fact that he had interrupted her reading the newspaper. It had become her morning ritual ever since she had retired.

*Oh, boy, this is going to be a catastrophe,* Clark thought and tried to muster up his courage. “Honey… I… I am Superman,” he finally blurted out.

Lois turned her attention back to her newspaper. “Took you quite some time to admit that,” she said with a shrug.

“You… you’re not mad?” Clark gasped in surprise.

“Darling, I’ve been mad some twenty years ago…” Lois replied, looking back at him, the frown upon her forehead increasing. “When I found out, I couldn’t believe that you had married me without ever telling me your secret. At first I wanted to file for divorce, but later I came to the conclusion that you just couldn’t find the courage to spill the beans, after you had waited this long. That was annoying, but also kind of cute, so I decided to give you more time. I figured that you would sooner or later be forced to tell me, like when the kids started to fly…”

“Well, they didn’t,” Clark muttered.

“Over time, it became quite amusing to watch you struggle,” Lois added. “So tell me, Clark, after all this time, what made you finally come out of the closet?”

Clark harrumphed, embarrassment written all over his face.. “Well, ever since we retired, there are no more leads to chase. There is no wallet to forget since everybody pays their bills via smart-watches. You keep reminding me about my dentist appointments and with us streaming movies, there are no videos to return, so frankly, I’m running out of excuses.”

“And not one moment too late,” Lois grinned and got up. “I need to tell Jimmy that he owes me one fine bottle of champagne. He bet that you would last at least a year into our retirement.”

Clark went pale. “You told him?” he squeaked.

“No, silly. He figured it out all by himself.” Lois said and shook her head. “You didn’t think that he became editor-in-chief of the Daily Planet, because he could yodel, now, did you?”

The End

Last edited by bakasi; 08/05/20 02:47 PM.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool