Table Of Contents

From Part 10:

“Yeah, the police chief told me something political was going on,” Owen reflected. “Of course, he also said there was a bit of noise from Earth First. Last I checked, they weren't too keen on recruiting Kryptonians.” He eyed the men's jackets. “Much as I can't stand those clods, it'd be a shame if they were falsely accused of trying to start a war, now, wouldn't it?”

Zor-Xu nodded, his face serious. “Yes, it would. Thankfully, that will not happen.” He locked eyes with Lois. “I owe you a greater debt than just my life, Ms. Gorhennain.”

“It's Lois,” Lois corrected.

He gave her another patronizing little smile. “Of course.” He turned to Owen. “Do you know if my daughter is safe?”

The stiffness left Owen's posture. “Sorry, I don't know anything. If you want, though, I can help you try to find her.”

Zor-Xu seemed to sag with relief. “Thank you.”

Part 11

After Superman left with “Smith”, and several people in uniform left with the remaining New Kryptonians, Lois found herself alone again. This time, however, it wasn't very long before Jordan suddenly appeared in the doorway, looking decidedly frazzled. “Grams! I thought I said for you to stay put!”

Lois merely shrugged.

Jordan stepped further into the room, frowning at the hole in the wall and the remains of the cabinet. “What a day,” he muttered. “Are you all right?”

“Don't worry, I'm fine.” Lois smiled reassuringly at him. “I never got that coffee, though,” she lamented.

He shook his head, and she could have sworn he was trying not to laugh. “Come on back to my office; I'll get you a cup.”

That sounded more than agreeable to Lois. She tucked her hand into his arm, and they started off towards the now-functioning elevators. “So,” she said once he'd pushed the call button, “are things always this exciting, here?”

That prompted a smile, though it didn't reach his eyes. “Only when we have time-travelers visiting,” he teased. Once they were safely ensconced in the elevator, he leaned back against the wall and let out a deep sigh.

“Are *you* okay?” she asked him.

He looked at her, and she read the answer in his eyes before he shook his head. “I just got some bad news,” he replied.

“Is it worse than having crazy New Kryptonians run around, shooting holes in your hospital?” she asked lightly.

“They want to dig up my son.”

Lois froze, her mouth hanging open. “WHAT?” she exclaimed, just as the elevator chimed and opened onto their floor.

Jordan said nothing, merely leading her through the suddenly-crowded hallway back to his office. The door closed behind them, shutting out the chatter.

“Jordan?”

He sighed again, dropping heavily onto the couch and staring blankly at the photo of a younger, happier family on the opposite wall.

Lois gingerly sat down beside him.

“Apparently, there's a patient with the same symptoms he had,” Jordan said quietly. “The doctors want to compare DNA, see if it's the same thing. So, exhumation.” His hand briefly clenched into a fist. He turn backed to face her, looking more broken than she had ever seen him. “What should I do, Grams? Should I let them? They don't even know if it will help anything! Doesn't my boy deserve to rest in peace?”

Lois pulled him into a hug. “I'm not the one you should be talking to,” she said gently.

He slumped in her arms. “You're right,” he mumbled. After a minute or two, he pulled away, scrubbing at his eyes. “A-anyway, how about that coffee?”

TBC...

~•~