Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#286558 03/13/20 12:54 PM
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
Hello, all. Thanks for letting me join. I recently found my way back to this show after not watching it since I was a kid in the 90s, and I'd really love to join in on this community to keep the fun going by getting into fanfic. First of all, please don't hate me right off the bat, but I'm very much an oddity as a fan. In fact, I'm not sure there is another fan quite like me because I never liked Lois all that much and really kind of shipped Clark with the lovely Mayson Drake. Didn't much like Lois on Smallville, the fandom I belonged to after Lois and Clark, either. I wanted Clark with Lana Lang on that show.

I just could never get into Lois as a character. She was snobby and rude, and I couldn't even get behind respecting her as a great reporter because she not only couldn't see through Clark's disguise but was fooled by Lex's true character, as well. Those things kind of made me more apt to agree with Tempus on the whole "galactically stupid" thing. And speaking of Lex, the whole almost married to Superman's greatest enemy thing didn't endear me to Lois, either. I could go on more, but I know you are all fans, so I'll stop there.

Mayson, on the other hand, struck me as more of what Lois was supposed to be: brilliant and tough as nails. Plus, she liked Clark for Clark and wasn't mooning after Superman. I know some might jump in here to add that Mayson was just as guilty as Lois of only loving one half of the man, but I actually found Mayson's dislike of Superman to be an intriguing plot point for a love interest, whereas Lois' disinterest in Clark just frustrated me. Plus, Mayson was blonde llke me, so I guess that was another reason I related to her more. smile

Anyways, I love the show, love Dean Cain, love Superman and superheroes in general, and enjoy reading and writing. I hope to get involved here and make lots of friends.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hi Maysonfan! I totally disagree with you, but its okay, we can still be friends. smile I really liked Lois's character and her faults, as you've listed them, made her more normal and relatable for me. I'm not sure how to describe what I thought of Mayson. I didn't like how she went from tough as nails to simpering female in a split second. Seems like our likes and dislikes are similar just of different characters.
Anyway, I'm not around as much as I used to be because of real life, but I stand to have more free time over the next few weeks... It's nice to "meet" you and welcome!

"Oh my gosh! Authors really do use particular words on purpose!" ~Me, when I started writing a book.
Features Writer
Features Writer
Welcome, MaysonFan! wave

One thing that's nice about this fandom is we all have our own likes and dislikes. Some find one character more sympathetic than another.

Hope you like it and become an active member. Comments are always welcome, either publicly or privately, even months or years after a story is published.

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Hey, MaysonFan, welcome! There is plenty of room in this sandbox for each of us to play to our heart's content. And we always have room for one more.

Here's hoping we get to sample some of your work soon. Like, today, even. I'm curious to read how you view our "favorite" couple - whoever the male or female partner might be.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally Posted by MaysonFan
Hello, all. Thanks for letting me join. I recently found my way back to this show after not watching it since I was a kid in the 90s, and I'd really love to join in on this community to keep the fun going by getting into fanfic. 

Hi, welcome to the boards.

First of all, please don't hate me right off the bat, but I'm very much an oddity as a fan. In fact, I'm not sure there is another fan quite like me because I never liked Lois all that much and really kind of shipped Clark with the lovely Mayson Drake. Didn't much like Lois on Smallville, the fandom I belonged to after Lois and Clark, either. I wanted Clark with Lana Lang on that show.

Well, if it's Smallville you're basing Lois off of then that might be part of the issue. Comics, Lois Lane (Teri Hatcher, Margot Kidder, even Amy Adams) in live-action films and the beloved TV Series do a great romance portrayal of the duo. I personally prefer Teri Hatcher and Dean Cain's portrayal. (Personally never a fan of Smallville).

I just could never get into Lois as a character. She was snobby and rude, and I couldn't even get behind respecting her as a great reporter because she not only couldn't see through Clark's disguise but was fooled by Lex's true character, as well.
She was rude and hard around the edges but as the show went on the hard shell did come down (I'm assuming we're talking about the LnC series) and show the character development of both her and Clark.

Those things kind of made me more apt to agree with Tempus on the whole "galactically stupid" thing. And speaking of Lex, the whole almost married to Superman's greatest enemy thing didn't endear me to Lois, either. I could go on more, but I know you are all fans, so I'll stop there.

Season 2 was really one of the best seasons. There's the whole romantic comedy mixed with will they or won't they and the heart-wrenching OMG, no throwing things at the television screen. Season 3 was equally great with a few eps I could live without, but they really did get better throughout the series. I would encourage you to sit down and watch and see how it all played out as there are plenty of fun bits with Dean and Teri and lots of fun Jimmy and Perry scenes that are a lot of fun.

Mayson, on the other hand, struck me as more of what Lois was supposed to be: brilliant and tough as nails. Plus, she liked Clark for Clark and wasn't mooning after Superman. I know some might jump in here to add that Mayson was just as guilty as Lois of only loving one half of the man, but I actually found Mayson's dislike of Superman to be an intriguing plot point for a love interest, whereas Lois' disinterest in Clark just frustrated me. Plus, Mayson was blonde like me, so I guess that was another reason I related to her more. smile

Here's the big issue with that whole dynamic with Clark and Mayson. (Not sure how far in Season 2 you got) Lois liked Clark - even if it was just as a friend. Lois loved Superman. She accepted both sides of him. Mayson hated Superman. Mayson liked Clark. The real Clark Kent is not one or the other but both men as later on Lois and his parents are the only ones to truly see him as himself (spoiler alert See Season 3 & 4 for context). If Mayson couldn't accept Superman then by relation she could never accept the real Clark Kent. (side note: For me, Mayson came across as way too forward and just not getting the hint from Clark that it was just not happening (i.e. we've never been on a date yet but hey come to the mountains with me...))

Anyways, I love the show, love Dean Cain, love Superman and superheroes in general, and enjoy reading and writing. I hope to get involved here and make lots of friends.

You're in great company. We all have the different parts of the show we love / hate/ like to rewrite to our heart's content because cannon totally botched it (coughCloneArcDanScardinoMaysonLexLuthorcough)...

Welcome! wave

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer

That's all that really matters. We would all love to read your take on our favorite couple. Welcome aboard!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard