#286485 02/23/20 01:23 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Please enjoy!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Pain.

Not Clark's pain, but Martha's pain.

And most especially, Lois' pain.

Lois misses the old Clark. It's amazing - but not unbelievable - that Lois has remained faithful to Clark all these years. And I don't mean "faithful" in a marital sense. She kept looking, kept digging, kept investigating, kept hoping that she'd find the man she loved. The fact that he was also Superman neither hindered nor furthured her tenacity in fighting to find him. Her obsession bordered on mania, always looking for a man who might have been buried in an unmarked and unknown grave. But she didn't quit, and she finally found him.

Now the source of her pain has changed direction. She hurts for his physical recovery from his surgeries. You didn't show us the surgery or recovery on his feet, but it had to be at least as devastating to her as the ones on his hands. And now he's more comfortable physically, but still mentally missing.

Above and beyond all that, Lois is also carrying Martha's pain. Martha is suffering just as much as Lois is, if not more, because while Lois suffers from the loss of her friend and the man she loves, Martha suffers from the loss of her child. That may be the worst pain a parent can ever undergo.

And worst of all, there's nothing to be done about it. There's nothing Lois can do to alleviate Martha's continuing agony, which is compounded by her grief over Jonathan's death. It would not surprise me to learn that she sometimes feels guilt over not missing Jonathan because of her grief over missing Clark, both while he was gone and now while he's just not there.

Clark probably isn't really comfortable, but he's not alert enough to realize it. He's too out of it to even realize he doesn't recognize his surroundings. And while that doesn't hurt him now, it's a continual stress on both Martha and Lois. That pain and stress will have to show up in their lives soon, perhaps in their interactions. I can see Martha and Lois beginning to snipe at each other over small and inconsequential things because of their continuing frustration. And that would add another level of stress to their lives.

And if Clark does finally recover at least some of his wits, he's going to be confused and angry and he may lash out at Lois, both verbally and physically. I'm not going to give my prediction on future events here, except to state that I expect more pain before the final ending. And I expect that the ending will not wrap up everything in a neat and tidy Christmas bow.

Looking forward to the next chapter. You're evil, DC. And you're doing a wonderful job because you're so good at it. I'm impressed, and that's saying something, because I've been accused of some pretty heinous things before. Keep up the excellent work.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Terry!

Pain is most definitely the name of the game here. Physical and mental pain early on as Clark was broken and now more of the emotional scarring that's occurred to the people around him. I like tormenting characters (and readers) on occasion. It's fun, what can I say? evil

I chose not to show the foot/ankle surgery for the sake of redundancy, but rest assured it would be just as bad as the hands. Poor Lois and Martha are pretty much at their wit's end by the time his deformities are set right.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you talk about Lois carrying Martha's pain. She IS doing everything in her power to shoulder the older woman's pain and grief. She's grown close to the Kents over the last twenty years and with Jonathan gone, well, you know Lois. She would feel responsible for making sure Martha has a support system and doesn't have to be in pain alone. And, as a parent myself, I can't imagine seeing my child every day and knowing that they might never be who they were again. Worse than burying a child? I'm not here to make that judgement call and I don't want to envision a world in which I would ever experience either situation.

Buckle up, as much "off-roading" as this fic has done, the rollercoaster isn't over yet! I hope you enjoy the second half of the story as much as I enjoyed writing it!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard