#286374 02/02/20 02:06 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oooh, Clark's gonna miss his favorite holiday! *rubs salt in Clark's wounds*

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Wait, so Lois didn't tell Lucy how sick Clark really was? I guess I can understand that. Even two decades down the road, Lois still doesn't fully trust her sister to keep really important secrets. But it's good that Lucy and her family (and Ellen, I think) are coming to Lois' for dinner on Christmas Eve. Lucy's right, the big sister who put her entire life on hold to look for a man she wasn't sure was still alive needs some time to decompress. And we get to meet Lois' brother-in-law! I'm looking forward to that.

(It's Leo Nunk, right? Am I right?)

I have to wonder how Clark will react when all those people fill the house. Will he understand that it's a party? Will he get overstimulated and freak out? Will Martha get along with Ellen, or will Ellen's snide and snarky complaints about Lois and her quixotic life set everyone's teeth on edge and their hair on fire?

On the flip side, will Clark experience a breakthrough of some kind? Will he realize that he's not in the asylum any more? Will he communicate with anyone on a meaningful basis? Has his mind begun to heal? Will he start to comprehend all that was ripped from him and go on a crying jag? Or will he cry because he's beginning to understand what Lois sacrificed for him?

It would be cool if Lucy's youngest sat down next to Clark and actually had a conversation with him, even something simple like listening to Christmas music. It would be a mountaintop moment for Martha and Lois. And the perfect time to clobber them with another WHAM.

We're not halfway through this tale of pain and agony. There are still things to learn, actors to follow, scary moments to endure. I recently read a book about President Thomas Jefferson (Jefferson's Vendetta: The Pursuit of Aaron Burr and the Judiciary by Joseph Wheelan c. 2005) and how he pursued Aaron Burr beyond any reasonable justification. Will Luthor hinder his own presidency by going after Clark Kent (and, by extension, Lois Lane) with the same ill-tempered zeal and damage his own legacy? Will Luthor send Nigel to eliminate Clark, fail, and set a disastrous (for Luthor) chain of events in motion? Will the dominoes fall and destroy a President? So many dramatic possibilities.

Personal aside. I have always respected Thomas Jefferson. But as I've learned more about him in the past few years, I've come to believe that while he was a great man, he was also a seriously flawed human being who made numerous mistakes in his life. The President doesn't have to be perfect to be a good president.

Boy, you stimulate my muses. I'm not sure if I should continue throwing these imagined extensions out - I don't want to accidentally step on your actual plot. I'm enjoying this (assuming "enjoying" is the proper gerund to apply to this tale of anguish) epic story and I don't want to spoil it for anyone else. But you keep throwing new stuff at us! And it's good stuff, really good! I've done a few horrible things to our favorite couple in the past, but I think you've topped me and you're not done yet.

Looking for the next twist in this tale to twist the tails of the readers.

clap hail thud cat

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Terry!

Lois is still very much in the mindset of "Clark must be protected at all costs," so she has not told her family about what's REALLY going on with him. Which, Lucy is just absorbed in her own life to overlook. It's not so much a matter of trust but that Clark's dire condition are on a need-to-know basis. Lucy et al, don't need to know. Lois is still naively convinced that Clark can return from all he's gone through, so to admit to his deep fried brain cells would mean she would HAVE to divulge that he's Superman if he recovers. Of course, I'm not entirely sure if holding it all in/being around her mother will allow Lois to decompress at all. More like send her stress through the roof. wink

Oh, did you feel that slap on your shoulder? That was Lois hitting you for envisioning Nunk as a family member. laugh

I'm enjoying the random wanderings of your muse. It gives me all the evil grins as I see what you're right, wrong, and hovering near on. evil Thanks for stopping in!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard