Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
And we start over with another new year! I love seeing what everyone is reading. Those suggestions lead me to try books I might not have have noticed otherwise.

#1 The Flickering Mind: Saving Education from the False Promise of Technology by Todd Oppenheimer

The Flickering Mind, by National Magazine Award winner Todd Oppenheimer, is a landmark account of the failure of technology to improve our schools and a call for renewed emphasis on what really works.

This book didn't have many reviews on Good Reads but I thought it was well done. It was a slow read - lots of information! The book is dated, published in 2003, but the ideas still hold.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
smile Same here! In fact, this first title you put up here I find incredibly intriguing (I'm a teacher)!

1: Daddy-Long-Legs by Jean Webster: I found this one in the library while trying to find something else by an author last name also Webster (which they didn't have, turns out it was at another branch of the library). I grabbed it because I recalled my sister reading it when we were young. It is an epistolary (written in letters). I really liked how authentic the letters felt. When I finished, I was pleased to find out its also a Fred Astaire movie, which I then watched. I'd recommend both.

"Oh my gosh! Authors really do use particular words on purpose!" ~Me, when I started writing a book.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
2: Courting Trouble by Deanne Gist. I'm not sure about this one. It lacked the traditional happy ending I'm used to, but I was kind of glad about that? Can't decide if I'll read the next one in the series or not.

"Oh my gosh! Authors really do use particular words on purpose!" ~Me, when I started writing a book.
M
Blogger
Blogger
M
1) Pam Whidden: Life As A Muse. Pam was an artists model. After she passed away, a book of work done with her as the model was put together. Nice art book.

2) Night Agent by Matthew Quirk. Thriller. an FBI agent is trying to stop a Russian mole who is in the White House. First Time I've read this author. I'll be looking for more by him.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#2 An Absolutely Remarkable Thing by Hank Green

In his much-anticipated debut novel, Hank Green--cocreator of Crash Course, Vlogbrothers, and SciShow--spins a sweeping, cinematic tale about a young woman who becomes an overnight celebrity before realizing she's part of something bigger, and stranger, than anyone could have possibly imagined.

An unusual mix of sci-fi and the impact of social media.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Just finished Darkness At The Edge of Town, by Adam Christopher. It's a Stranger Things novel centered around Detective Jim Hopper in NYC in 1977, so a few years before he returns to Hawkins, Indiana and the events of Stranger Things Seasons 1 and 2. The story itself wasn't bad and was, at times, compelling, but, being part of the Stranger Things universe (officially or not, depending on your take of off-shoot stories), I was really let down that the villain was JUST a man, with nothing more to him. I'm used to telekinesis and demogorgons and parallel universes from the franchise, so I was underwhelmed, to say the least.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Witch's Oath by Terry Goodkind

The latest adventures of Richard and Kahlan Rahl are, for some reason, broken up into 5 smaller books this time around, instead of a longer, more comprehensive story. This is book 4 of the Children of D'Hara series. I've been enjoying it thus far, but I've enjoyed the Sword of Truth series overall (some more than others). I'm just really bummed that I have to wait until May for the conclusion. And I do hope we get further adventures of Richard and Kahlan. It's been a fun ride.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
3) Just as you are by Pepper Basham

Technically, I didn't finish it. A few chapters into it, I was sick of hearing about how the FMC is Appalachian (do Appalachians really refer to themselves as such in nearly every conversation they ever have, even if its with someone they've previously explained it to? It is apparently why she is a klutz and can't think before she speaks, among other things. I'm not Appalachian and I can't say if I know any, but it seemed so demeaning.). But I stuck it out because I was intrigued by the description of the plot - country girl happens to run into movie star and they solve a mystery. But things were happening so s l o w l y ... I started skimming about a third of the way into the book, and didn't feel like I missed anything. I continued skimming until I realized how cheesy everything was becoming and I stopped reading at about the two thirds mark. I bet I can tell you whats going to happen in the end. It was disappointing, especially since I've read some other Basham books that were amazing.

(This on the heels of starting and not finishing two other books that lost me before the end of chapter two... I'm beginning to question my ability to choose books to read...)

EDIT: I got stuck in a place with no wifi or physical book for hours and this was the only book downloaded on my phone. So I finished it. It continued to be cheesy, I wasn't surprised by the events that took place, but it did a fine job of keeping me busy. Also, in the author's notes, I read that she is Appalachian and am even more baffled by the way it was handled in the book...

Last edited by JellyS2; 02/11/20 01:47 AM.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#3 The Friends We Keep by Jane Green

Evvie, Maggie, and Topher have known each other since university. Their friendship was something they swore would last forever. Now years have passed, the friends have drifted apart, and none of them ever found the lives they wanted – the lives they dreamed of when they were young and everything seemed possible.

By their thirtieth reunion, these old friends have lost touch with each other and with the people they dreamed of becoming. Together again, they have a second chance at happiness… until a dark secret is revealed that changes everything.

Talk about chick-lit - light and fluffy. Lots of drama but everything works out. Totally forgettable characters but sometimes you need a light read.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
4) A Most Peculiar Circumstance by Jen Turano

I chose this book because I know Jen Turano to be a light-hearted story-teller that would undoubtedly make me laugh. Her stories are generally quickly paced and filled with twists and turns that keep the reader guessing. This book was exactly that and just what I needed.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
5) Havencross by Julie Daines

I chose this book solely by the cover. Historical romance, set in Cornwall 1800s. The cover shows a woman standing on the edge of the sea facing away, her dress billowing in the wind. I read it without reading the description and was drawn in by the end of the second page. Elaine is running from her past and is forced to face it when circumstances beyond her control require her to return home. Very good. Danger, romance, plot twists. I kept trying to guess what would happen and I was wrong sometimes and right sometimes which is just how I like it.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Groucho Marx, King of the Jungle by Ron Goulart.

Groucho and Frank Denby solve a murder on a set of a movie that Frank is doing some script doctoring for. The movie is a Tarzan knockoff and has all the expected characters.

The sixth in a series that starts with Groucho Marx, Master Detective where Groucho and Frank Denby a scriptwriter who was a crime reporter for the newspapers are pitching a radio series with Groucho as a comedic detective and end up having to solve a real murder. I often find Goulart annoying because he gets too odd but he writes a great Groucho. Lots of 1940s Hollywood cameos and locations.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton - I've read this one before and it's definitely not one of my favorites. While I can appreciate the need to give background on certain scientists and their theories on how a bacterium might spread and evolve, it does make for some dry chunks in the book. However, I enjoyed the story overall. The reason WHY I went back to this one is to prep for reading the new sequel, The Andromeda Evolution.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
Admittedly, I’m not a person who likes to read fiction in general so most of the these books are probably not choices people would generally make:

1) A General’s Life: An Autobiography by Omar Bradley I’m a military history buff so I enjoy reading about people involved in the wars and also it is my belief that in order to understand the present I need to read about the past. This is the autobiography of America’s last five star general from his early life to the end of his official career in the army though officers who attain the five star rank never actually formally ‘retire.’ I admit that this is not everyone’s cup of tea in terms of a good read, but for me this is the kind of book I enjoy reading because sometimes even the best fiction writers can’t come up with the kind of things that happen in a person’s life

2) Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari I won’t get into a debate over the theory of human evolution as that isn’t really what this book is about. It’s more about how we as Homo sapiens overran the planet. Not a bad book, but I’ll admit that I didn’t necessarily agree with some of the ideas that he put forward

3) Becoming Japanese: Colonial Taiwan and the Politics of Identity Formation by Leo T.S. Ching Colonialism and Imperialism are ugly terms when we consider a national identity. I was born in Taiwan and although I thoroughly identify as an Australian, my ancestral roots are tied to this period of time through my mother. Identity is a tough thing to consider when you have ties ethnically to one place and yet at the same time have differing ideals (not the least of which is that mainland China is communist and Taiwan or more officially The Republic of China is democratic), but also trying to meld that with the influence of a former colonial ruler

4) To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee Have had this novel on my to read list for years, but never got around to reading it. Don’t think this book needs much rehashing, but I will add that I thoroughly enjoyed it

5) Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee The sequel to To Kill a Mockingbird. Scout is now all grown up and is forced to confront the same issues addressed in To Kill a Mockingbird, but also the realisation that everything she thought she knew about the father she idolised wasn’t exactly the truth. Though less enjoyable and confronting as it’s predecessor I still would recommend reading it

6) How to Hide an Empire: A Short History of the Greater United States by Daniel Immerwahr Given that this book is of my usual taste I admit I had high expectations for it especially after reading the blurb (I admit to never judging a book by its cover. If the title is interesting then I read the blurb. If the blurb seems interesting enough I may decide to read it) in the end I was disappointed as it was not anywhere near my expectations and didn’t tell me anything beyond what I knew about empire and the collapse of British and French colonialism in Asia

Last edited by Crazy_Babe; 02/11/20 06:37 AM.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
C
Kerth
Kerth
C
7) Cannery Row by John Steinbeck I’m not sure whether this was intentional or not, but for the last few years I’ve read at least one book written by a Nobel Prize winning author. This novel I found out about from watching British chef Rick Stein in his series Road to Mexico when he visits Cannery Row in Monterey California. Set in the Depression era, it tells the story of life through the eyes of a group of people. Initially I thought that it was about the sardine canneries which dotted the landscape along the Monterey coast, but I was mistaken. While enjoyable it took a while to really get into it as it doesn’t really ‘flow’ like I normally would think a story would.

Last edited by Crazy_Babe; 02/09/20 07:26 AM.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
C
Kerth
Kerth
C
8) Mindhunter Inside the FBI Elite Serial Crime Unit by John Douglas & Mark Olshaker John Douglas is considered to be one of the pioneers in the science of criminal profiling. Delving into the mind of some of America’s most notorious criminals he would help establish the FBI’s elite Behavioural Science Unit into what it is today. If you like true crime this is a great read. Though I will warn that you will need a strong stomach as the description of some of these crimes is very descriptive and you can easily let your imagination run wild.

Last edited by Crazy_Babe; 02/19/20 07:22 AM.

Helen Keller
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#4 Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel

Set in the days of civilization's collapse, Station Eleven tells the story of a Hollywood star, his would-be savior, and a nomadic group of actors roaming the scattered outposts of the Great Lakes region, risking everything for art and humanity.

I love post apocalyptic stories and this was a good one.

Last edited by scifiJoan; 02/02/20 11:13 PM.
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#5 The Rosie Result by Graeme Simsion

Don and Rosie are back in Melbourne after a decade in New York, and they’re about to face their most important project.

Their son, Hudson, is having trouble at school: his teachers say he isn’t fitting in with the other kids. Meanwhile, Rosie is battling Judas at work, and Don is in hot water after the Genetics Lecture Outrage. The life-contentment graph, recently at its highest point, is curving downwards.

For Don Tillman, geneticist and World’s Best Problem-Solver, learning to be a good parent as well as a good partner will require the help of friends old and new.

It will mean letting Hudson make his way in the world, and grappling with awkward truths about his own identity.

A fun conclusion to the trilogy of books. The other two books had more laugh out loud moments. But they also had more cringe worthy moments too smile.

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
9) A Line in the Sand: Britain, France and the Struggle that Shaped the Middle East by James Barr it’s very easy to say that the problems plaguing the Middle East are driven by turf wars from rival tribes and of course differing ideologies. The reasons behind it are much more complicated, post WWI policy and lingering desire to hold on to the ideas of colonialism post WWII have all contributed to the issues today further reinforcing the notion that a line in the sand does not make a nation. Not something that most people read, but if you like history and are interested in geopolitics this is a good read.

10) In Xanadu: A Quest by William Dalrymple at age 22 while still a student at Cambridge the author embarked on a journey across the Middle East into Central Asia to end up at Kublai Khan’s summer palace of Xanadu in Mongolia (or rather Inner Mongolia which is technically part of China) following in the footsteps of Venetian Marco Polo. Quirky and interesting

Last edited by Crazy_Babe; 02/09/20 07:42 AM.

Helen Keller
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Two oddly similar books set in different time periods and with entirely different subplots. Also, I did some more choosing books by covers here and intentionally NOT reading the description.

6) Wager for a Wife by Karen Tuft
Regency era, maybe late regency. Turns out Louisa's grandfather lost her in a wager long before she was even born and William, who just inherited a failing estate - and Louisa, comes to claim his prize. Louisa agrees out of duty. This was very ... predictable? No, that's not it. I have no idea how to describe this book without giving too much away.

7) Eleanor and the Iron King by Julie Daines
Medieval era, based on descriptions of clothing. Eleanor's dad has just bartered her as part of a peace treaty to a Welsh guy whose name - and just about everything related to him - is difficult to pronounce. She agrees out of duty (and also because she has no choice in the matter). This was very ... unpredictable! And in an awesomely good way. Just when I think I had things figured out, I didn't. It was also very gothic feeling, which I love.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
8) My Lady Jane by C Hand, B Ashton, and J Meadows.

A recommendation from a friend. Oh, this was delightful! It's the story (albeit re-written) of Lady Jane Grey, the 9-day queen of England. The narrator in my head sounded much like the one from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I LOVED the fantasy elements added to the story and the changes to history the authors made. The only thing I didn't like was the tendency of the authors to present the girsl-are-better-than-boys attitude (honestly, why does one always have to be better, can't we just be equal?), but it was few and far between so I had an easy time continuing. So glad a snow day allowed me to sit and read all day to finish it because I did not want to put it down.

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
11) Law & Disorder: Inside the Dark Side of Murder by John Douglas and Mark Olshaker this again is not usually my type of reading, but having read Mindhunter this was a recommendation from my Goodreads app. Douglas here talks about a couple of high profile cases before and after his work at the FBI. It also outlines the dangers of prejudice during the investigation into the collection of evidence and how the innocent can also be wrongly convicted of crimes they didn’t commit. This book gets bonus points too for the Superman reference of fighting for ‘truth and justice’ while not in the context of Lois and Clark (he was referring to the George Reeves series) I will take it! grin

Last edited by Crazy_Babe; 02/14/20 07:46 PM.

Helen Keller
C
Kerth
Kerth
C
12) The Art of War by Sun Tzu squeezed in a Lois and Clark reference this time with this one and no unlike Monique, this is not the Reader’s Digest version though you don’t really need it as it’s not a long book by any stretch. Written over 2000 years ago, it is considered to be one of the earliest and seminal works on military strategy and tactics of which are still applicable today. I had actually read this years ago, but I was given a beautiful hardbound and illustrated copy of it by a friend so I decided to read it again. Divided into 13 chapters (or rather 13 points) and then within those headings further sub-points outlining what military planners (or corporate raiders such as Lex Luthor) must do in order to achieve success and what to avoid if you don’t want to be defeated. Still as enjoyable as it was when I first read it.

Last edited by Crazy_Babe; 02/14/20 11:20 PM.

Helen Keller
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hi Crazy_Babe,

I'll also add that parts of "The Art of War" are as applicable to cyber warfare as to traditional. For example, I used the following quote in my information security classes.
If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.

Joy,
Lynn

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
Hi Crazy_Babe,

I'll also add that parts of "The Art of War" are as applicable to cyber warfare as to traditional. For example, I used the following quote in my information security classes.
If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.

Joy,
Lynn

Absolutely

Helen Keller
C
Kerth
Kerth
C
13) Mulan: Five Versions of an Ancient Chinese Legend edited and translated by Shiamin Kwa and Wilt L. Idema I’m embarrassed to admit that if it weren’t for Disney, I probably would have never heard of the story of Mulan which is an odd thing because I’m fairly well versed in many Chinese classics despite the fact that I only speak it and not read it. These are translations of five versions of the story of the girl who disguised herself as a man to fight for China against foreign invaders in her elderly father’s place as she at 17 and the oldest of the family with a younger brother not yet old enough to fight in his place (Disney’s version has her as an only child, perhaps keeping with modern China’s one child policy). Also much like other Disney movies it deviates a little from the original material. Personally I much preferred the poem to the play versions of the story.

14) A Holy Mountain: A Journey in the Shadow of Byzantium by William Dalrymple Combining history with travel the author recreates a journey eastward made by 2 Byzantine monks 1500 years ago from modern day Turkey to Alexandria in Egypt. This one reminded me of a well known story about a Chinese monk named Xuanzang whose journey westward from China is not only immortalised in Tang Dynasty records, but also a famed Chinese novel called Journey to the West (probably better known to western audiences as Monkey). Insightful and also he does well to tread lightly when it comes to the area’s political turmoil at the moment

Last edited by Crazy_Babe; 02/15/20 07:24 AM.

Helen Keller
C
Kerth
Kerth
C
15) Miracle at Midway by Gordon W. Prange, Donald M. Goldstein and Katherine V. Dillion I’m quite the history buff and in particular I enjoy military history so most of my books tend to be books on military history or personnel with a smattering of fiction and classics. This is more academic than a general history as it is quite detailed and also draws a lot of its material from the perspective of the people involved in what many describe as one of the greatest naval engagements in history. Informative and interesting it allows people to see the Battle of Midway from both sides of the battle and also acknowledges not only Japanese failures, but also just how lucky American was dealing the Japanese a decisive blow from which they would never fully recover

Last edited by Crazy_Babe; 02/19/20 07:14 AM.

Helen Keller
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The Andromeda Evolution by Daniel Wilson.

This one picks up 50 years after the events of The Andromeda Strain. Far less "techy" than it's predecessor, this was an enjoyable read with far more "nail biting" sequences. There were some really nice details that tied the events of the two books together and I really enjoyed the ride it gave me.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S

Great to see more people (and book suggestions!) on this thread!

#6 A Nearly Normal Family by M. T Edvardsson

M.T. Edvardsson’s A Nearly Normal Family is a gripping legal thriller that forces the reader to consider: How far would you go to protect the ones you love? In this twisted narrative of love and murder, a horrific crime makes a seemingly normal family question everything they thought they knew about their life—and one another.

I didn't like this one nearly as much as people on Goodreads did. It's told from the POV of the dad, mom and daughter. I didn't like the characters They never seemed normal to me. Their actions didn't make sense. The legal aspects didn't make sense (daughter suspected of a crime is in jail, unable to leave and not allow to see her parents until the trial?) It was entertaining but not a great story. I've read much better versions of this plot.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
9) She walks in Beauty by Siri Mitchel. The main character Clara is somewhat timid and does what she's told. Learns her life is a sham and steps up to the challenge. It was enlightening.

10) The Lacemaker by Laura Frantz. My first audiobook. The story overall was good, daughter of someone important on the British side of the revolutionary war gets left behind and eventually switches sides. I didn't really follow why she switched so the last half of the story felt abrupt. As far as the audiobook nature of it, I appreciated how I could do things while listening to the book and how I could make it play faster but I did not like the accents the person reading used for the characters.

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
16) A Quiet Warrior: A Biography of Raymond A. Spruance by Thomas B. Buell When I think of Admiral Spruance I think of Glenn Ford’s portrayal in the 1976 movie Midway (to Superman audiences better known as Jonathan Kent) and his conversation with Robert Mitchum’s portrayal of Admiral Halsey and the scene where he says ‘did that itch go to your head?’ This book is the biography of a man who although is quiet, shy and reticent to the point he comes across as cold and unfeeling who perhaps is largely overshadowed by the more flamboyant Admiral Halsey and of course General MacArthur (who interestingly enough, Spruance got along well with despite the traditional Army/Navy rivalry). Reads like the man himself clear and concise

Helen Keller
C
Kerth
Kerth
C
17) Totally Unofficial 100 Things Superman Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die by Joseph MaCabe I thought I’d lighten my usual reading a little bit with this one. Joseph McCabe is the editor of SFX Magazine on the West Coast and a writer. In this book he’s compiled a list of 100 things fans of Superman should know and do. A lot of tidbits as to where some of the locations used for various scenes in the Superman movies that you can visit. This also has interviews with comic artists and story writers as well as interviews with actors who have been involved in Superman including Dean Cain and John Shea.

Last edited by Crazy_Babe; 04/05/20 07:50 AM.

Helen Keller
C
Kerth
Kerth
C
18) War as I Knew It by General George S. Patton this is not a memoir by any stretch, rather this is Patton’s war time diaries. This interestingly enough doesn’t show his known bravado and flamboyance. Rather it shows a more human side to Patton beneath the brash exterior he presented.

Helen Keller
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#7 The First Mistake by Sandie Jones

A woman's seemingly perfect life unravels. The women in this story drove me nuts. The first response to, "I think my husband is having a affair" is to drink massively. I didn't like the women and the situation felt too contrived.

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
19) Infantry Attacks by Erwin Rommel Erwin Rommel is perhaps better known for his WWII exploits in the North African desert that would earn him the nickname ‘The Desert Fox’ as well as for his infamous suicide for his alleged involvement in the July 20 plot. This however, is not about his WWII exploits as he’d died before it was completed, but rather this is about his experience on the battlefields during WWI. Essentially this could be described as a 20th Century version of The Art of War, just as mechanised warfare was in its infancy. While I felt at times it jumped between first and third person points of view, overall I did see glimpses of the brilliant tactician he was

Last edited by Crazy_Babe; 03/02/20 06:48 AM.

Helen Keller
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#8 The Dog Stars by Peter Heller

Hig somehow survived the flu pandemic that killed everyone he knows. Now his wife is gone, his friends are dead, and he lives in the hangar of a small abandoned airport with his dog, Jasper, and a mercurial, gun-toting misanthrope named Bangley.

But when a random transmission beams through the radio of his 1956 Cessna, the voice ignites a hope deep inside him that a better life exists outside their tightly controlled perimeter. Risking everything, he flies past his point of no return and follows its static-broken trail, only to find something that is both better and worse than anything he could ever hope for.

I love post-apocalyptic stories and have read a lot of them. This wasn't the best. And it wasn't the worst. The author had an odd writing style. The main character was very much a hunter/nature person which I can''t relate to as much, but still appreciate.

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
20) Lois Lane: Fallout by Gwenda Bond read this years ago actually, the first in the Lois Lane series. This series is aimed at the young adult market, but I couldn’t resist. This follows the DC Comics canon of having Lois as an Army brat who moves to Metropolis with her family. Starting a new high school she meets Perry White her first day who invites her to join the the Daily Scoop staff (The Daily Planet aimed at the teenaged market). The plot did remind me of one particular episode of Lois and Clark as the premise is rather similar, but I won’t say which one except only to say that it involves the concept of mind control. Also interesting is her online friendship (or maybe romance) with a guy she only knows by his online handle SmallvilleGuy. This is actually a lot of fun as you can totally imagine this is what Lois was like as a teenager too.

Last edited by Crazy_Babe; 03/05/20 06:24 AM.

Helen Keller
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
@scifiJoan: M. T. Edvardsson is Swedish, and European tastes in literature don't always make the transition to their intended American audience. Those folks have a different idea about what constitutes tension and compelling stories. For example, I like mysteries by Dick Francis, an English author who apparently knows horses and the racing world in England like the back of his hand. I, conversely, know next to nothing about horse racing save that the tracks are in business to make money, not to make bettors rich. His stories are tight, tense, and full of surprises, yet I still feel a bit of detachment when coming down to the final reveal. I've just read Decider and Driving Force, and they are as different as they could be and still come from the same mind. His protagonists are real people with real problems and real failings, and they are both excellent stories. They both kept me turning the pages, but I still feel as if I read each one with a distance between myself and the endings.

This is not a criticism, just a subjective observation. I'd rather read Francis than many American mystery writers who do a much less complete job with the plot or the characters. He's good, really good, but he doesn't grab my heartstrings like some others do. But that's why we have McDonald's and Burger King and Arby's and Subway and Chick-Fil-A and The Manhattan Club to buy lunch. Not everyone has the same tastes, and that's a good thing. I'd hate to live in a world where everyone ate the same thing, read the same thing, thought the same thing, did the same thing. That's totalitarian, and I'm nowhere near that. Even with that subjective caveat, though, one can learn much about writing by reading his works with a dissecting mind.

My opinion only. Your mileage will almost surely vary.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
11) The Weaver's Daughter by Sarah E Ladd. North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell meets Romeo and Juliet, with less death...

12) The Social Tutor by Sally Britton. I expected this one to be cheesy and silly, and while it had its moments, it was actually a good story. Christine, whose mother died when she was young, doesn't understand some things about society and enlists the help of her neighbor (who just returned from war to a failing estate) to learn the ways of society.

13) The Gentleman Physician by Sally Britton. In the previous book, Christine's sister, Julia, spends a good bit of time trying to get Christine to understand some things as well. In this book we learn why.

14) A Heart's Revolution by Roseanna M White. This is one of my favorite authors. For some reason, the library always has her books at another branch but I finally got my hands on this one. Lark Benton is betrothed and doesn't want to be. Lots of sub plots going on here, more than I would have liked, but interesting enough. White does a great job building tension and writing characters you can cheer for.

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
21) Lois Lane Double Down by Gwenda Bond book number 2 in the Lois Lane series. Leave it to Lois to find a juicy story while assigned to do another. After going down to Suicide Slum to interview an artist who is painting a mural she finds her friend Maddy’s twin sister collapsed outside one of the areas derelict buildings (not surprising also that Lois’ disdain for ‘puff pieces’ was there right from the get go). She races against the clock to not only help her friend’s sister, but also uncover the truth behind her friend James’ father the recently released from prison and under house arrest former Mayor of Metropolis’ conviction for corruption. All this while she navigates her maybe romance with her online crush SmallvilleGuy. Again, this had many elements in it that reminded me of a few episodes of Lois and Clark. I’ll admit too that I usually do not enjoy reading stories in a series, because I’m often disappointed with the subsequent books, but this I thoroughly enjoyed because the storyline is fast paced and full of intrigue even if you may find it unbelievable in the end. But hey this is Lois Lane and we know what stories she is capable of uncovering no matter how ridiculous they may seem.

22) Lois Lane Triple Threat by Gwenda Bond the last of the Lois Lane series. This actually made me wish that there would be more because she finally gets to meet her now long-distance boyfriend SmallvilleGuy who up until now had been a complete mystery to her in not only name, but also in appearance too. Thrown into the mix is a bunch of enhanced teenagers who are threatening her and her friends. While the first two books can probably be counted as separate books, this one definitely requires that you read the first two in order to be able to understand the plot fully as it ties them full circle. My only criticism is that now that we’ve met SmallvilleGuy (although I’ll be honest it was pretty obvious from the handle who it could be wink) and another mysterious online friend known as TheInventor, I found myself wanting to see the continued progression of their relationship. Alas, Ms Bond has stated that there no plans for now, but she did put up two short stories on her website about Lois’ exploits prior to her moving to Metropolis to whet your appetite for more of our favourite reporter

Last edited by Crazy_Babe; 03/05/20 07:03 AM.

Helen Keller
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
Originally Posted by Terry Leatherwood
@scifiJoan: M. T. Edvardsson is Swedish, and European tastes in literature don't always make the transition to their intended American audience. Those folks have a different idea about what constitutes tension and compelling stories. For example, I like mysteries by Dick Francis, an English author who apparently knows horses and the racing world in England like the back of his hand. I, conversely, know next to nothing about horse racing save that the tracks are in business to make money, not to make bettors rich. His stories are tight, tense, and full of surprises, yet I still feel a bit of detachment when coming down to the final reveal. I've just read Decider and Driving Force, and they are as different as they could be and still come from the same mind. His protagonists are real people with real problems and real failings, and they are both excellent stories. They both kept me turning the pages, but I still feel as if I read each one with a distance between myself and the endings.

This is not a criticism, just a subjective observation. I'd rather read Francis than many American mystery writers who do a much less complete job with the plot or the characters. He's good, really good, but he doesn't grab my heartstrings like some others do. But that's why we have McDonald's and Burger King and Arby's and Subway and Chick-Fil-A and The Manhattan Club to buy lunch. Not everyone has the same tastes, and that's a good thing. I'd hate to live in a world where everyone ate the same thing, read the same thing, thought the same thing, did the same thing. That's totalitarian, and I'm nowhere near that. Even with that subjective caveat, though, one can learn much about writing by reading his works with a dissecting mind.

My opinion only. Your mileage will almost surely vary.

Excellent points Terry.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#9 Time After Time by Lisa Grunwald

On a clear December morning in 1937, at the famous gold clock in Grand Central Terminal, Joe Reynolds, a hardworking railroad man from Queens, meets a vibrant young woman who seems mysteriously out of place. Nora Lansing is a Manhattan socialite whose flapper clothing, pearl earrings, and talk of the Roaring Twenties don’t seem to match the bleak mood of Depression-era New York. Captivated by Nora from her first electric touch, Joe despairs when he tries to walk her home and she disappears. Finding her again—and again—will become the focus of his love and his life.

This was an okay story. The characters and setting were interesting. The explanation for time travel unique. But I felt the author could've done more with the premise of the two lovers from different times.

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
23) The First South Pacific Campaign: Pacific Fleet Strategy December 1941-June 1942 by John B. Lundstrom I ended up being rather disappointed with this one especially when I had the expectation of it being about the Battle of the Coral Sea the first naval engagement in history whereby the adversaries did not see each other in direct surface vessel combat and the first engagement whereby it was fully engaged by aircraft carriers. This is more about American strategy during the early stages of the Pacific campaign and didn’t contribute to me any more than what I already knew.

24) Notes on Nationalism and 25) Fascism and Democracy both by George Orwell both these books (although books is a rather loose description as they are really essays) can serve as a companion read to Orwell’s 1984. I found them both to be insightful and alarming. While they refer to the time period they are written (the latter stages of WWII) they serve as warnings of what dangers extreme politics can pose.

Helen Keller
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#10 The NIght Circus by Erin Morgenstern

My daughter recommended this one a while back and it's good. Great sense of mystery and magic and an intriguing plot.

Last edited by scifiJoan; 04/05/20 02:52 PM.
C
Kerth
Kerth
C
26) Timaeus and Critias by Plato for those interested in the story of Atlantis, this is the primary source from which all other mentions of the fabled island that disappeared into the sea derive from. Originally written in two parts, but because they are similar are often put together in modern re-printings. Timaeus is Plato’s writings on the creation of the universe as well as the nature of the physical and eternal world. Critias, is the description of the rise and fall of Atlantis and often seen as a allegory to the hubris of nations. Not a very light read if you were hoping for it to be and certainly for me who is capable of reading books that most people find not enticing this was a hard one even for me to really persevere with still, it is interesting enough.

Last edited by Crazy_Babe; 03/26/20 05:25 AM.

Helen Keller
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
15) The Earl and His Lady by Sally Britton: I skipped book three in this series because I didn't recognize any of the characters (the first two books were of sisters and there were several in the family, but I didn't even recognize any of the names. This one wasn't about any of the sisters, but I at least recognized the characters. A widow marries an earl to keep her evil brother-in-law from taking her children away after her husband changes his will to exclude him only months before he dies. (audiobook)

16) Daisies and Devotion by Josi S Kilpack. A woman attempts to help her friend find a suitable wife and then
doesn't believe when he chooses her (I was really glad to read this part, he was kind of a jerk and had to prove himself and I appreciated that about the story but it doesn't happen until the end.)
(audiobook)

17) Promises and Primroses by Josi S Kilpack. So these two are part of a series in which the men (and I believe there will be a woman in one of the books but it hasn't been written yet) are cousins and their rich uncle is giving them incentives to marry suitable brides (in a good way suitable) This was actually book 1, but I'm glad I read it second. In this one the mother of suitable bride holds a grudge against the uncle. (audiobook)

18)The Blue Castle by LM Montgomery. Valancy finds out she's going to die within the year and decides to do whatever she wants, which includes marrying the towns known bad guy. There were parts of this that I liked and parts of this that I didn't. I liked how Valancy stood up for herself. I didn't like how they went on and on about how not pretty she was. Even her new husband never once told her she was pretty (or even pretty on the inside), not even at the end. I also couldn't keep up with the millions of relatives Valancy seemed to have that were excessively described.
(audiobook that I wish I had a copy of so I could skim the irritating descriptions of her family...)

19) The Truth about Miss Ashbourne by Joanna Barker. This was excellent! Juliana's estranged grandfather leaves her an inheritance that she can only have if she agrees to spend a month with the rest of her estranged family.

20) Kiss by Ted Dekker. I stepped out of my historical romance genre for this one. Doing a bit of research on mystery/suspense/thriller novels. This one was so intriguing that I finished it in a day. Shauna wakes up after an accident and can't remember what happened to get her there. Her quest to figure it out reveals that even things she does remember aren't exactly true either. (audiobook)

Side note: Reading has been a coping strategy of mine, but its been almost all audiobooks because I can clean (my other coping strategy) at the same time.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Heart of Black Ice by Terry Goodkind

I've been reading the Sword of Truth series since 2008, when I discovered the original book(s) were being developed into a TV series by Sam Raimi and Robert Tapert (same guys who brought us Xena and the Evil Dead movies - some of my favorites). This latest book does not center on Richard and Kahlan, but on (former) Sister of the Dark, Nicci, as she and her companions as they are split apart while trying to save the world from two rampaging armies. After so many books, I'm still enjoying the series, even if the author can, occasionally, be a little predictable with his solutions to problems. It's still a really fun ride though.

Conceal, Don't Feel by Jen Calonita

A Disney "Twisted Tale" that centers on, of course, Frozen. In this AU, Elsa and Anna began life as sisters but circumstances forced them to grew up apart, with no memory of one another. We see a young Elsa learning how to one day rule Arendelle only to lose her parents just as she did in the film. However, unlike the film, she is unaware of her ice powers until the agony of losing her parents forces them to the surface - her grief makes her create ice. She spends the next 3 years alone with only Olaf for company, while Anna grows up in a different village as the daughter of bakers. When Coronation Day arrives, everything goes awry with Elsa's powers and she and Anna start to remember the past...

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
21) All the Missing Girls by Megan Miranda - another mystery/suspense recommended by a friend (I gave her a list of what I was looking for and this one totally met my requirements: 1st person POV, no gore or explicit scenes, suspense, face paced). I'm not sure I can describe this book without giving it all away. What sticks with me right now is how much I hated the ending. I really hated the ending. It was so good leading up to it. It's written out of order but still in a somewhat logical fashion. And I got over some other little things that bothered me. But I stopped liking the characters about two-thirds through the story, and near the end when I realized where it was going, I hoped and prayed I'd missed something, but no. And now I'm just sitting around feeling cheated and disappointed. It makes me nervous to take any more recommendations from the friend who suggested it.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
22) The Bluestocking and the Dastardly, Intolerable Scoundrel by Jenni James. After the last one with the ending I didn't like, I needed a bit of fluff. I appreciated this ending much better, though the story was very cheesy.

23) Brentwood's Ward by Michelle Griep. This one was a nice bit of mystery wrapped up in a love story. Plenty of twists I didn't see coming. It was an audiobook that I finished in a day and now my kitchen (including inside the microwave and under the fridge shock) is spotless.

Tomorrow I start teaching from home, so presumably fewer books will be read...

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
27) China in Disintegration: The Republican Era in Chinese History, 1912-1949 by James Edward Sheridan this was given to me by a friend who found it in her local op-shop who knew my love of history and in particular the history of this period. While I did already know the basics it also filled in quite a few blanks in my understanding of this period in history of The Republic of China when they were still on the mainland. I’ve always believed that history isn’t entirely black and white, but has shades of grey and of course there are two sides to every story. This certainly is that, it also confirms to me the utter ineptitude of the KMT was apparent even right from its beginnings to now. Even today despite the 70 year exile on Taiwan they still harbour the desire to return even though it is not really the desire of the Taiwanese who are now generations removed from the era.

Last edited by Crazy_Babe; 04/11/20 05:23 AM.

Helen Keller
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Summer of the Monkeys by Wilson Rawls

I picked this one up in the local "Little Free Library" where you can put books you don't want anymore and take a new book to read. Wilson Rawls is the author of Where The Ren Fern Grows, one of my favorite young adult books ever. I still reread that one and I still cry like a baby by the end every time. So I was thrilled to find another book by the author (I almost bought it from Amazon but something stopped me). I really enjoyed the book, but I felt like it lacked the emotional gut-punch of Where The Ren Fern Grows. And I found the two books to be almost a little TOO similar to one another - poor boy living in the Ozark Mountains having adventures with his dog(s) and eventually winning/earning money that helps his family in a big way. But overall, I found the story enjoyable and in maybe another year or so, I'll recommend it to my girls, or perhaps read it to them. (Nothing racy or over their heads, but there is a fair amount of "women are crazy and boys can't understand them, boys are hunters and girls stay in the kitchen" because it takes place in the late 1800s, and I'm not sure my girls will fully grasp how different life was back then.)

Hatchet by Gary Paulsen

Another favorite from my childhood that I decided to reread. Its been a long time since I last picked this one up and only thought of it because I stumbled upon that fact that there are now 5 books in the series. I had known and read the sequel long ago, but the others are new, so I figured I would restart from scratch. As I've always felt, the book feels almost too short to me. I wish we'd seen more of Brian's struggles to survive and the ending feels a little too convenient and abrupt, but I still find it to be a short, fun little read.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#11 The Night Before by Wendy Walker

Woman goes on blind date and doesn't come home the next day. Her sister is worried and tries to find her.

I thought this was a poor thriller. It was all over the place. I don't recommend it.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The River by Gary Paulsen

A sequel to Hatchet, 13 year old Brian returns to the wilderness with a man named Derrick, in order to show the man how he survived on his own in the woods after the plane crash in Hatchet. I've read this one once before and didn't care for it, and I'm still not overly thrilled with how short it was. Yes, it IS a younger reader novel, but it could have been a beefier story. Brian's new set of challenges seem almost trivial to what he faced in the first book, even with Derrick's life depending on the choices Brian makes. It's disappointingly short, even if it's an okay read.

Brian's Winter by Gary Paulsen

This one is an AU of a sorts, exploring what would have happened to Brian if he had not been rescued at the end of summer in the first book. Here, Brian is still stranded in the Canadian wilderness as a brief fall and harsh winter set in. Forced to hunt bigger game for both meat and clothing, Brian faces a whole new set of problems from the ones that nearly killed him in the gentle summer days. As with the others, I wish the book was longer, more in depth, and threw more curveballs at our hero. I wish the series was meant for adults, in order to give us those more involved stories, but I really did enjoy this one, as much as I enjoyed Hatchet.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
28) Gallipoli by Peter Fitzsimons Gallipoli is to Australia what perhaps the War of Independence is to Americans in that both events forever defined a nation. Unlike America though, the birth of Australia as a nation (or more correct the Commonwealth) was not established in bloodshed and Gallipoli would be the event that would define Australia as a nation. This goes through the events that would lead to Australia’s involvement in the invasion of the narrow Dardanelles strait and the subsequent withdrawal from the peninsular. There is no doubt that the events of Gallipoli were an unmitigated disaster for the Australian and New Zealand soldiers, but however disastrous the Gallipoli campaign It would be the birth of the ANZAC legend. In Australia we are about to come to the 105 year anniversary of the invasion (April 25) and while the men of that day have long departed, this book brings them to life again serving to remind me that their stories should never be forgotten

Helen Keller
C
Kerth
Kerth
C
29) Retreat from Kokoda by Raymond Paull I once had a chance meeting with a very sweet elderly man who informed me that he was a veteran of this campaign. My deepest regret is that I didn’t have any further opportunity to ask him what he endured because the story of Kokoda (and also that of The Siege of Tobruk) is pretty much the WWII equivalent of Gallipoli and one that is entrenched in Australian legend. This book was one I found on an online charity bookshop (which however many times I tell myself I don’t need to buy any more books I always guilt trip myself by saying the money is going to charity) and I was not disappointed. This brought the story to life and like that of Gallipoli is shrouded in mystery, probably for most Australians like myself this really hits home as it reminds us that the war was literally on our doorstep (not withstanding also that the Japanese had already bombed Darwin) and it was our own troops that drove back the Japanese

Last edited by Crazy_Babe; 04/14/20 08:18 AM.

Helen Keller
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Brian's Return by Gary Paulsen

In an interesting turn of events, this book continues after the "AU" of Brian's Winter. Not only did Brian survive the Canadian winter on his own, but he also willingly returned in The River. Here, Brian is haunted by memories of his time in the woods and finds himself unable to adjust to living back in the city. Everything becomes a source of sensory overload/saturation until he finally explodes, beating a bully up after slipping into the "predator/prey" mindset (ie: "I have to keep him down or the predator will kill me"). It's nice to see some consideration given to his mindset and how surviving a traumatic experience changes a person. However, being a parent now, I couldn't get on board and believe the whole "his parents have some concern about letting him return to live in the woods on his own with no assurances that he will come back out - alive or willingly" aspect. It just felt too contrived and the ending was too open ended. (Note: there is an author's note that this would be the final "Brian" book, which would have made the ending awful, IMO.)

Brian's Hunt by Gary Paulsen

So, this one picks up directly after the last book. Brian is still in the wilderness and still planning to visit the Cree family of trappers that saved him in Brian's Winter. Along the way, he meets a dog who is clearly comfortable with humans, is wounded, and in the middle of nowhere. Brian's instincts kick in, telling him something is terribly wrong.... I liked the book, but again, felt the situation was less enjoyable than the events in Hatchet and Brian's Winter. It's less fun for the reader when the main character is surviving with modern conveniences like a lighter and canoe. The "hunt" was short and disappointing and terribly contrived. And I'm convinced the author can't write an ending to save his life. Once again, it was abrupt, open ended, and not all that satisfying. Still, not a bad read, all things considered.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
30) Anzac to Amiens by C. E. W. Bean Charles Bean was an Australian war correspondent during WWI. After the Armistice, he returned home and would write a 12 volume account of Australia’s involvement. This however, is a condensed version of that 12 volume account as Bean believed that the story of what those brave men went through in a foreign land was to be made known to all Australians. What I loved about the book, is that it took me back to my trip to Europe several years ago where I actually visited the battlefields themselves where I had to imagine in my head what it must have been like over 100 years ago. Given the current situation, it served to remind me too that there were many who made greater sacrifices for me.

Last edited by Crazy_Babe; 04/26/20 08:38 AM.

Helen Keller
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#12 Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng

I read this book a few years ago and was excited to see that Hulu was adapting it to a series. There are obvious differences from the start. I started watching the series and kept thinking, "I don't remember it happening this way". So that motivated me to re-read the book. I finished the book but I'm only three episodes into the series. There are big differences between the two. I'm predicting I'll like the book better but we shall see...

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
31) The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux definitely not my usual read here, but I was curious about the original story after watching the YouTube stream of the 25th anniversary production of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s beloved musical. I felt though that it dragged on longer than necessary and therefore made it less suspenseful than the show. What also made it less enjoyable was the fact that it jumped between perspectives of a third party observer to that of a first person’s recollection of the events towards the end which ends up being confusing especially when you get right to the last chapter. I am happy though that I watched the musical first because it allowed me to see why things are often left out of movies or changed when books are adapted into movies and in this instance I vastly prefer the show to the novel which is rare for me.

Helen Keller
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Crazy_Babe
31) The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux definitely not my usual read here, but I was curious about the original story after watching the YouTube stream of the 25th anniversary production of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s beloved musical. I felt though that it dragged on longer than necessary and therefore made it less suspenseful than the show. What also made it less enjoyable was the fact that it jumped between perspectives of a third party observer to that of a first person’s recollection of the events towards the end which ends up being confusing especially when you get right to the last chapter. I am happy though that I watched the musical first because it allowed me to see why things are often left out of movies or changed when books are adapted into movies and in this instance I vastly prefer the show to the novel which is rare for me.

Ooh! I read that one about 10ish years ago after seeing Phantom on Broadway for the second time. I remember the book having some enlightening moments (the hand at the level of your eyes as mentioned by Madame Giry is because the Phantom might throw a noose over over head and hang you, which is not elaborated on in the show, and I think the book shows Meg as Madame Giry's daughter, which I don't remember the show touching on, but it's also been 10 years...I really should bust out the dvd). But overall, I enjoyed the show more than the book.

Side note: The show you watched on Youtube is available on DVD. So is the sequel, Love Never Dies, which I watched on Youtube over the weekend and did not like, although a few of the songs are still haunting my brain.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Stranger Things: Suspicious Minds by Gwenda Bond

The first official Stranger Things novel, this book begins well before the events of the first season. Terry Ives is a college student who fills in for her roommate at the newly built Hawkins Lab, where they are doing strange experiments involving dosing volunteers with LSD and trying to bring out hidden abilities. It's at the lab that Terry meets Alice, Ken, and Gloria, all members of the experimental group, as well as a five year old little girl called Kali...aka Subject 008. Terry starts to suspect that something sinister is going on at the lab...

and winds up pregnant with the girl we all come to know and love as Eleven, who is stolen from Terry at birth (as the show already explained to us in Season 2).

I really, really loved the book. Fast paced and engrossing, the Dr. Brenner presented on the page is just as evil and manipulative as he is in the show. The story fit perfectly, seamlessly lining up with the events we see in the actual show. I tip my hat to the author. I usually find novels based on shows to be less than stellar, way off character, or full of plot holes, and I found none of that in this book.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
Originally Posted by Deadly Chakram
Ooh! I read that one about 10ish years ago after seeing Phantom on Broadway for the second time. I remember the book having some enlightening moments (the hand at the level of your eyes as mentioned by Madame Giry is because the Phantom might throw a noose over over head and hang you, which is not elaborated on in the show, and I think the book shows Meg as Madame Giry's daughter, which I don't remember the show touching on, but it's also been 10 years...I really should bust out the dvd). But overall, I enjoyed the show more than the book.

Side note: The show you watched on Youtube is available on DVD. So is the sequel, Love Never Dies, which I watched on Youtube over the weekend and did not like, although a few of the songs are still haunting my brain.

Watched the sequel too and didn’t really like it either although the little boy who played Gustave is adorable, but some of the songs are beautiful. Did buy the Phantom of the Opera on iTunes so am happy there. I agree with your points there with respect to Madame Giry and you’re right it isn’t really mentioned in the musical that Meg is her daughter (although I think the sequel alludes to it)

Last edited by Crazy_Babe; 05/01/20 04:43 AM.

Helen Keller
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Crazy_Babe
Originally Posted by Deadly Chakram

Watched the sequel too and didn’t really like it either although the little boy who played Gustave is adorable, but some of the songs are beautiful. Did buy the Phantom of the Opera on iTunes so am happy there. I agree with your points there with respect to Madame Giry and you’re right it isn’t really mentioned in the musical that Meg is her daughter (although I think the sequel alludes to it)

Yep, in the sequel, it's mentioned over and over that Meg is Madame Giry's daughter. And I agree that Gustave was adorable. Quite the singing voice on him too! I was utterly impressed!

So, my last book was:

A Whole New World: A Twisted Tale by Liz Braswell

What if Aladdin hadn't been the one to take ownership of the lamp? What if Jafar's plan to trick Aladdin into retrieving it from the Cave of Wonders had worked the way he wanted it to, with Jafar taking possession of the genie from the start? This story explores that scenario and gets pretty dark fairly quickly, with lots of gruesome deaths and some truly twisted turns of events. From the start, Jafar is able to make himself sultan and then the most powerful sorcerer in the world. He throws Jasmine's father off a balcony right then and there, murdering the true sultan in cold blood, then sets his sights on breaking the laws of magic to try and make Jasmine (and all the kingdom) love him. With the help of good old fashioned fear, greed, and an army of the undead (he breaks the laws regarding not being able to bring people back from the dead), he wages war on the city, and Jasmine, who escapes the palace and allies herself with Aladdin and an army comprised of Street Rats...

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
24 - A Proper Scandal by Esther Hatch - It took me a while to get into this one. I read the first chapter, put it down, the second chapter, put it down. Then I read the rest of the book. I'm no good at describing characters, but I loved how hard it was for Grace to be pushed into doing something dishonest. The characters were both wonderful and had excellent character. Anything else I could say would spoil the story. This was fantastic.

25 - Beneath an Italian Sky by Stacy Henrie - Oh wow. This one was powerful. Written in a sort of twin-timeline sort of view. The back story was revealed at the same time as the resolution slowly worked its way out. Very well written.

26 - Wyndcross by Martha Keyes - I had to force myself to finish this one. Probably the published book with the second most amount of errors I've read. The characters were supposed to be aristocratic, but the low class language spoken by them made it hard to believe. But despite all these errors, I really wanted to know what happened. The further I got the easier it was to ignore the glaring typos and inconsistent speech.

27 - The Viscount and the Vicar's Daughter by Mimi Matthews - I believe this is a novella in length. I've read another by this author that I had wished was longer. This one was very well written and easily pulled emotions from me as I read. I was very invested in the characters.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#13 The Alice Network by Kate Quinn

In an enthralling new historical novel from national bestselling author Kate Quinn, two women—a female spy recruited to the real-life Alice Network in France during World War I and an unconventional American socialite searching for her cousin in 1947—are brought together in a mesmerizing story of courage and redemption.

Interesting story with a lot of it inspired by real-life events and people.

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
32) Blood and Sand: Suez, Hungary and the Crisis that Shook the World by Alex von Tunzelmann a day by day account of the Suez Canal crisis and the concurrent revolution in Hungary in 1956. This reads like a novel so if you don’t really read non-fiction then this is a good one for you. I knew a little about the Suez blockade, but this went into full detail of what happened and so I learnt a lot about more about what happened. It also goes into detail about the Soviet crush of the revolution in Hungary that happened at the same time.

Helen Keller
C
Kerth
Kerth
C
33) Lizzy and Jane by Katherine Reay if you’re a fan of Jane Austen then this is a good one for you as it is littered with references to her books and in particular Pride and Prejudice (which is my favourite novel). Lizzy and Jane were named after Jane Austen’s heroines, but the similarity ends there. In the aftermath of their mother’s death from breast cancer, Lizzy escapes to New York and establishes herself as a renown chef, but when she loses the spark that made her a top chef her boss encourages her to return home to see her family and in particular her estranged older sister who has recently been diagnosed with the same cancer that killed their mother. This is an enjoyable read, even if the topic of family and cancer is a difficult one

Helen Keller
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
28) Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. Gothic Novel. First published in 1938. First person POV and full of mystery and suspense, strange creepy scenes that make sense later. A long read, but excellently written. I had some preconceived notions about what the book was about based on something that I can't remember now. It was not at all what I expected. An excellent read, or listen. I went back and forth between the book and audiobook this time.

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
Originally Posted by JellyS2
28) Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. Gothic Novel. First published in 1938. First person POV and full of mystery and suspense, strange creepy scenes that make sense later. A long read, but excellently written. I had some preconceived notions about what the book was about based on something that I can't remember now. It was not at all what I expected. An excellent read, or listen. I went back and forth between the book and audiobook this time.

Have heard many great reviews on this book. Look forward to reading it

34) Dear Mr Knightly by Katherine Reay again with Jane’s Austen’s novels as a back drop with emphasis on Emma, Reay delivers another story of redemption and finding romance when you least expect it. As a bookworm I totally understand the desire to escape into the world of books, but personally I didn’t enjoy this as much as Lizzy and Jane. This book is set out as a series of letters with additional tidbits too showing what led to the writing of said letter so it may some across as a little disorientating. Also definitely was not expecting the twist in the end.

35) Catch-22 by Joseph Heller have had this book on my to read list for many years and while in the end I did enjoy it even if I found some parts of it rather ridiculous, it took me a while to really absorb myself in it

36) The End of the Affair by Graham Greene the second novel by Greene that I have read. While of the two The Quiet American is definitely my favourite, The End of the Affair is still a good read dealing with a jealous man who meets his former lover years after she broke it off with him and his obsession with her every move.

37) The Winter of Our Discontent by John Steinbeck as far as modern classics go, this is one I feel where the subject matter still has resonance even today in the form of what defines success and how success can also be tied to corruption as well as trying to retain your integrity in the midst of blatant corruption and deceit. This is John Steinbeck’s last novel and while my favourite remains East of Eden, this is right up there with it.

Last edited by Crazy_Babe; 05/22/20 08:56 AM.

Helen Keller
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#14 The Cruel Prince by Holly Black

Jude was seven when her parents were murdered and she and her two sisters were stolen away to live in the treacherous High Court of Faerie. Ten years later, Jude wants nothing more than to belong there, despite her mortality. But many of the fey despise humans. Especially Prince Cardan, the youngest and wickedest son of the High King.

To win a place at the Court, she must defy him–and face the consequences.

My daughter is very excited about this series so I thought I'd try it out. I'm not usually a fantasy person but this author did a good job creating the faerie world. I didn't love the main character but she was interesting. Some plot points I could predict, others I couldn't, which was refreshing. I'll read more in this series to see what happens.

#15 Dopesick: Dealers, Doctors and the Drug Company that Addicted America by Beth Macy

Beth Macy takes us into the epicenter of America's twenty-plus year struggle with opioid addiction. From distressed small communities in Central Appalachia to wealthy suburbs; from disparate cities to once-idyllic farm towns; it's a heartbreaking trajectory that illustrates how this national crisis has persisted for so long and become so firmly entrenched.

Not a fun read but very informative. It ought to lead to interesting discussion during book club.

#16 The Testaments by Margaret Atwood

Sequel to "The Handmaid'sTale". I read the first book back in the 80s. It was excellent. I watched the original movie version and just recently caught all three seasons of the show on Hulu. When I learned about "The Testaments", my first thought was, "She's cashing in on the show popularity". The book was more entertaining that I thought it might be but it wasn't nearly as good as the original.

BTW, I loved Rebbeca too. The movie is good too.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#17 You Were There Too by Colleen Oakley

Mia Graydon's life looks picket-fence perfect; she has the house, her loving husband, and dreams of starting a family. But she has other dreams too — unexplained, recurring ones starring the same man. Still, she doesn’t think much of them, until a relocation to small-town Pennsylvania brings her face to face with the stranger she has been dreaming about for years. And this man harbors a jaw-dropping secret of his own—he's been dreaming of her too.

Determined to understand, Mia and this not-so-stranger search for answers. But when diving into their pasts begins to unravel her life in the present, Mia emerges with a single question—what if?

This one didn't do it for me. It came off kinda silly. Good for a car read.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#18 Zoo Nebraska: The Dismantling of an American Dream by Carson Vaughan

A true story about a troubled zoo in a small town in Nebraska. I read this for book club, thinking it was going to lead to issues many small towns deal with. Overall it was just a series of very bad decisions.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Straight on Until Morning by Liz Braswell

What if Wendy went to Neverland with Captain Hook, instead of Peter Pan? After Peter leaves his shadow at the Darling House and doesn't return for over 4 years, Wendy trades it to Hook for passage to Neverland to escape her dreary life in London, where she feels like she doesn't fit in (especially with her parents, who want to send her to Ireland to knock out her habit of writing Peter Pan stories). But Hook has nasty plans that involve using the shadow to destroy Neverland, so Wendy is forced to escape and befriend a very begrudging Tinkerbell in over to save the world...

Not my favorite book. It just felt overall slow, despite the constant peril Wendy finds herself in.

Part of Your World by Liz Braswell

Six years after losing her father and Prince Eric to Ursula, Ariel is Queen Under The Ocean (a punishment from her sisters for being the reason Triton is gone). But Ariel discovers that their father might not actually be dead, as was assumed, but alive and still in Ursula/Princess Vanessa's clutches, so she is compelled to return to land and her lost love, only to find that Ursula is setting the kingdom up for war. Still, without her voice (still in Ursula's magical necklace, her chances of winning are slim....

This was a fun one. It was neat to see Ariel being unable to talk or sing (using a specialized mer-sign language and lots of inner monologues). It was also refreshing to only see her "winning" in small snatches here and there before being forced to retreat to regroup/wait out her waning trident power as the tides changed.

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

A middle aged man returns to home down the lane were he grew up, to a small pond dubbed "the ocean" and remembers long forgotten memories of ancient powers that once nearly consumed his life.

I've read a few Gaiman books and, for the most part, enjoyed them. (I couldn't get through American Gods though.) I liked this book. It was a super fast read, and although very bizarre at points, it was enjoyable.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#19 After the End by Clare Mackintosh

Max and Pip are the strongest couple you know. They're best friends, lovers—unshakable. But then their son gets sick and the doctors put the question of his survival into their hands. For the first time, Max and Pip can't agree. They each want a different future for their son.

What if they could have both?

This was an interesting concept. Midway through the book, the author explores the consequences of both outcomes. While it got a little confusing, since chapters alternated with POV and time, I liked the overall message that no choice was the perfect choice.

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
38) Travels with my Aunt by Graham Greene Henry Pulling a retired bank manager has always lived his life on the safe side. At his mother’s funeral he is reunited with his Aunt Augusta whom he has not seen in fifty years. Flamboyant and unconventional Augusta is everything Henry is not. She persuades her straight laced nephew to take a trip with her starting with the fabled Orient Express to Istanbul. Along the way Henry uncovers family secrets learning more about his aunt and himself.

39) The Oil Conquest of the World by Frederick Arthur Talbot when I bought this from an online charity bookshop I had in my mind a book about the dominance of crude oil in the 20th century (although in saying that, this book was published in 1914), but this certainly didn’t meet that expectation. While interesting in some places I wasn’t expecting the part about the development of margarine. Also interesting was the whale oil industry.

Last edited by Crazy_Babe; 08/17/20 02:39 AM.

Helen Keller
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#20 The Wicked King by Holly Black

(Second in the Folk of the Air series)

After the jaw-dropping revelation that Oak is the heir to Faerie, Jude must keep her brother safe. To do so, she has bound the wicked king, Cardan, to her, and made herself the power behind the throne. Navigating the constantly shifting political alliances of Faerie would be difficult enough if Cardan were easy to control. But he does everything in his power to humiliate and undermine her even as his fascination with her remains undiminished.

Exciting installment in the series. I can never tell where this story is going and maybe that's a good thing.

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I don't often post here because I read a lot and don't have a chance to talk about those books. But I wanted to mention this one. I think you'll see the relevance.

More Deadly than War: The Hidden History of the Spanish Flu and the First World War by Kenneth C. Davis. published 2018.

As of the date of this post, the U.S. has suffered in excess of 110,000 deaths from Covid-19 against a population of 331 million, a death rate of 0.03%. None of that is good news - but look at the next statistic.

In 1918-1920, the U.S. suffered 675,000 deaths from what was called the Spanish Flu against a population of 103 million, a death rate of 0.5%. That's about 18 times the Covid-19 death rate. Approximately 25% of the US population contracted that virus. Worldwide deaths are estimated at 20 million.

The scenarios described in the book are horrendous, worse than any scary movie I've ever seen. Worth a read to get some perspective and some context for World War I. According to contemporary accounts, the disease dramatically affected the outcome of the war in 1918. And you'll find out why it was called the Spanish Flu (had nothing at all to do with the country of origin).

The text is easy to read, the photos and illustrations are top-notch, and the timelines interspersed through the chapters are enlightening. I won't spoil your reading - I was going to write "pleasure" but that's not right - edification.

Those who fail to learn from history will repeat the course.

Life is a terrible teacher. Life gives you the test first, then covers the lesson. Just like 1918-1920.

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
Originally Posted by Terry Leatherwood
I don't often post here because I read a lot and don't have a chance to talk about those books. But I wanted to mention this one. I think you'll see the relevance.

More Deadly than War: The Hidden History of the Spanish Flu and the First World War by Kenneth C. Davis. published 2018.

As of the date of this post, the U.S. has suffered in excess of 110,000 deaths from Covid-19 against a population of 331 million, a death rate of 0.03%. None of that is good news - but look at the next statistic.

In 1918-1920, the U.S. suffered 675,000 deaths from what was called the Spanish Flu against a population of 103 million, a death rate of 0.5%. That's about 18 times the Covid-19 death rate. Approximately 25% of the US population contracted that virus. Worldwide deaths are estimated at 20 million.

The scenarios described in the book are horrendous, worse than any scary movie I've ever seen. Worth a read to get some perspective and some context for World War I. According to contemporary accounts, the disease dramatically affected the outcome of the war in 1918. And you'll find out why it was called the Spanish Flu (had nothing at all to do with the country of origin).

The text is easy to read, the photos and illustrations are top-notch, and the timelines interspersed through the chapters are enlightening. I won't spoil your reading - I was going to write "pleasure" but that's not right - edification.

Those who fail to learn from history will repeat the course.

Life is a terrible teacher. Life gives you the test first, then covers the lesson. Just like 1918-1920.

Sounds really interesting will have to look into it. This book is generally something I prefer reading

Helen Keller
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#21 The Queen of Nothing by Holly Black

Last book in the Folk of Air series.

Power is much easier to acquire than it is to hold onto. Jude learned this lesson when she released her control over the wicked king, Cardan, in exchange for immeasurable power.

Now as the exiled mortal Queen of Faerie, Jude is powerless and left reeling from Cardan’s betrayal. She bides her time determined to reclaim everything he took from her. Opportunity arrives in the form of her deceptive twin sister, Taryn, whose mortal life is in peril.

I must admit the story got to the point where I had no idea how the author would resolve the situation. But she did. Entertaining series.

Last edited by scifiJoan; 06/08/20 09:28 AM.
C
Kerth
Kerth
C
40) Alice’s Adventure in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll read this book years ago, but I thought I would pick it up again just for the sake of a little fantasy and escapism (and also because one of the doctors I work for we have nicknamed him after White Rabbit). Still as whimsical as it was when I first read it, but a whole lot of fun. It is also interesting to see what Disney took from both stories to combine them into his original Alice in Wonderland movie.

41) The Power of One by Bruce Courtenay Growing up is hard, but growing up in 1930s South Africa is even harder especially in a country that is divided by intense racism not only with the way that the white minority view the Africans, but also between the Boers and the English. The Power of One is told through the perspective of Peekay as he reflects back on his childhood and the people who shaped his perspective on life and race. While this book was first published in 1989, the issues highlighted are still as relevant today as they were then. A powerful and timely reminder that racism is something that is taught and not something inherent. Wonderful testament to the power of the human spirit.

Last edited by Crazy_Babe; 06/14/20 08:16 PM.

Helen Keller
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#22 All Adults Here by Emma Straub

When Astrid Strick witnesses a school bus accident in the center of town, it jostles loose a repressed memory from her young parenting days decades earlier. Suddenly, Astrid realizes she was not quite the parent she thought she’d been to her three, now-grown children. But to what consequence?

I was hoping for a light read and this certainly fit the bill. I didn't like the characters very much.

Last edited by scifiJoan; 06/16/20 09:38 AM.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
29: I'm Telling the Truth but I'm Lying, by Bassey Ipki. A series of "essays" detailing bits and pieces of the life of former Def Poetry Jam performer as she struggles with anxiety and bipolar II disorder.

30: The Solicitor's Son by Rachael Anderson. Guy is treated abysmally by girl's family a long time ago, but he comes back to help her anyway. I didn't really like the way the ending played out.

31: The Jewels of Halstead Manor by Kasey Stockton. Girl goes to her uncle after her father dies and stumbles into some mystery. I felt like this one was poorly written, like the author was just filling space on the pages and it didn't matter if it made sense or was relevant to the story. But the kissing scenes were very well done.

32: The Rise of Miss Notley by Rachael Anderson. I read the previous book in the series some time ago and couldn't really remember what had already happened, so I was a little confused at what was happening, but it didn't really matter. I really liked the story and the characters. The best part was the absence of some very popular historical romance tropes which was so very refreshing.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#23 Something She's not telling Us by Darcey Bell

I enjoyed "A Simple Favor" and saw the movie so I was looking forward to more from this author. There was potential there - Brother with a reputation of choosing erratic girlfriends brings a new one to meet his sister and her family. There's instant tension between the girlfriend and sister which was interesting. It just didn't come together. Very disappointing.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Guess I'll start to number mine:

#18 - The Indian In The Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks

A favorite of mine as a child, it was fun to delve back into the story of Omri and his magic cupboard that brings plastic toys to life. I was wondering if it would be age appropriate to read to my daughters this summer, but it's a 1980 book that's a bit...shall we say...stereotyped. Not horribly so, but enough to make me put off reading it to my girls until they are a bit older and can understand that it's a reflection of it's time and not the way we would view things/people today. Still, it's a cute story despite that and, eventually, I'm sure they will pick it up.

#19 - Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell

Another one from my childhood that I loved. I was into the whole "kid survives on their own in the wilderness" stuff at one point, as evidenced by my earlier stated love of Hatchet. I also read this one with the eye of "can I read this to my girls" and I think the answer to that one is yes. What really got me this time is...I don't think I'd ever read the afterword in the book. This time I did and was both pleased and surprised to find out that, while the story is fictional, the girl it is based on was actually real and she really did live on her own for a period of time. It definitely makes the story all the cooler!

#20 - Timeline by Michael Crichton

One of my favorite Michael Crichton books, I've read this one probably three or four times over the last maybe 20ish years. It's the first book I ever read and thought "I want to make this into a movie when I grow up." (PS - the movie came out when I was in college and it stunk!) I just love getting lost in the medieval world and following along with the time travelers who find themselves stuck there without a clear way home again.

#21 - Where The Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls

I read this book for the first time the summer before I entered the 6th grade. It was on my summer reading list (one of those "here's 20 books, choose 5 and do a book report" kind of things) and I had just given up on A Wrinkle In Time. My mom told me I would probably hate Where The Red Fern Grows because it is about a boy who, along with his two redbone hounds, hunts racoons in the Ozark Mountains. I decided to read it anyway and it swiftly became a treasured favorite, even now in my adulthood. I have read it I don't know how many times over the last 27ish years and I have never once made it through without crying by the end. It's just such a beautiful story with a heart shattering, yet equally beautiful, ending.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Also, not sure if it "counts," but my husband has read the first two Harry Potter books to the girls at bed time over the last 2ish months. I've been forced to listen to them against my will (I did fall asleep one of the nights). I'm not afraid to say that I really don't care for them all that much. I'm just not into the drawn out drama of a preteen wizard boy and find them to be all build up with very little in the way of climax and resolution. I've never read the series and I bailed on the movies halfway through. (Hubby had me watch the ones that were out on DVD while we were dating/engaged/maybe married? and then when the rest hit the theatres I declined to accompany him as I really didn't care to see how it ended.)

Yes, I know I am very much in the minority with my viewpoint on the series. I'm okay with that. smile

Also, I found it HILARIOUS that the girls had exactly ZERO reaction to the Tom Riddle = evil wizard revelation in the second book. This coming from the kids who gasped and then continually asked us "Is that for real?" when we watched Star Wars and Darth Vader told Luke he is his father.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#24 The New Husband by D.J Palmer

Nina's first husband mysteriously disappears and she learns he has lied about losing his job and has been draining their bank account. So of course she falls for a new guy almost immediately and doesn't think to question his background. There's an even sillier twist midway through the book.that had me laughing. Some one on Good Reads described this as a Lifetime movie and I completely agree!

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I read too much to keep track. I think this one is about #65 this year for me.

I want to recommend When There Is No Applause by Rene Gutteridge, pub. 2019 by Writing Momentum LLC. This book is written to writers, for writers, by a writer. Here's her dedication.

To all those who are courageous enough to bleed onto the page.

How can you not love that?

The first chapter is titled "Dear White Page." It's a letter to the blank page facing the writer at the beginning of the writing session, whether it be on a word processor, a typewriter, or a legal pad.

Every chapter - all of which are posts from her blog - is an absolute gem. They're never dull, never boring, and my Kindle tells me the reading time is forty-three minutes. Anyone can get through that.

Don't misunderstand. This book is not about the writing craft, it's about the life of a writer and how very difficult it can be on any number of levels. But there are some good tips in there disguised as "just chatting," both for writing and for life, and they're valuable. Rene's books are well-written, tightly woven, interesting, and easy to read. This one is no exception.

I recommend it to anyone who is writer, a reader, or in need of a time-filler. And let me know how you like it.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
#22 The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time by Akira Himekawa

This was a new experience for me. I've never read a Manga before, so there was a bit of an adjustment reading from right to left and from the back of the book forward. But, I'm a huge Zelda fan and Ocarina is my favorite of the games (tied neatly with Breath of the Wild, which I really, really need to get back to). This comic is, in every way, faithful to the game, so it was a lot like "going home" in that sense. (I've been known to go back to Ocarina over and over as time allows.) Non gamers might find the comic a bit abrupt in places, but gamers will recognize that these "jumps" in the action are where the player would be battling their way through a dungeon to get to the final boss. That wouldn't translate well to the page, so instead we have Link entering the dungeon and immediately facing off against the boss.

What struck me the most, however, was how faithful the comic is to the characters. Usually, I find comic dialogue to be very stilted and out of character (I've read my far share of Xena and Evil Dead comics), but not in this case. The goodness and innocence of Link shines through the page in a way I've never seen before. This is especially heartwarming and unexpected as Link NEVER TALKS in the games. So to see him having dialogue that remains true to the silent hero I've loved since 1987 is just incredibly special.

I've already dropped some not so subtle hints to my husband that I would like the other Mangas in the Zelda series.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#25 Time Salvager by Wesley Chu

A decaying future raids the past via time travel to gain resources. Interesting premise. There was blatant hinting that something was really wrong with the time travel organization but I guess that will be dealt with in future books. I'll check them out.

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
42) The Long Walk to Freedom: 1918-1962: Early Years, 1918-1962 vol. 1 by Nelson Mandela of the many books that I have in my collection, this is the one that I’ve been wanting to read for a long time and for me it didn’t disappoint. Nelson Mandela the first president of a post-apartheid South Africa reflects on his early years of his life, the people who would influence him the most and also the early years of his fight for the rights of his people.

43) The Long Walk to Freedom vol 2: Triumph of Hope, 1962-1994 v 2 by Nelson Mandela In this second part of his autobiography, Nelson Mandela will reflect back on his time while imprisoned on Robben Island to his release and his rise to become South Africa’s first fully democratically elected leader. A wonderful testament to his resilience and his character to remain positive that he could bring about change even in the most dire of circumstances

Helen Keller
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#26 Becoming by Michelle Obama

I'm not an Obama fan but I read this book for an upcoming book club meeting. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I found I could relate more to Michelle than I originally thought. It was a little annoying that she presented her husband as if he was perfect and could do no wrong.

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
44) Babysitters’ European Vacation (The Babysitters Club Super Special #15) by Ann M. Martin this was actually ghostwritten by another person, but billed under the series’ creator. In truth this was more a nostalgic memory rather than me actually wanting to read this as I was watching the remade series on Netflix (which I have to say I was impressed with with). If you’ve read the series as a child this follows the same vein, but the girls have all been split with one half in Stoneybrook running a summer day camp for children while the others go on a school trip to Europe. I long stopped reading the series by the time this book was originally published save for an occasional book here and there, but it was nice to revisit the world again. Especially for me most poignant is Stacy’s encounter with a WWII veteran who was a part of the D-Day landings as it took me back to when I visited those very beaches.

45) How to Lose a Country: The 7 Steps from Democracy to Dictatorship by Ece Temulkuran Temulkuran, is a Turkish journalist who was fired for criticising the Turkish government. This book serves as a guide to what the warning signs to look out for as a country descends into a dictatorship from a democracy and the rise of right wing populism. This was extremely interesting especially given the current climate of the world and while my opinion of these ‘leaders’ was already set in concrete even before reading this it was great to see how passionate she is about the state of the land of her birth.

Last edited by Crazy_Babe; 07/27/20 07:18 AM.

Helen Keller
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#27 Kindness and Wonder: Why Mr. Rogers Matters Now More than Ever by Gavin Edwards

Great book about Mr. Rogers.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
#23 Into Darkness by Terry Goodkind

The 5th book in the Children of D'Hara series, this one was satisfyingly longer than its predecessors. Although, I hate to say it, but it *almost* could have been split into two parts, as the first half deals with the threat of the "Witch's Oath" from the previous books and the second half sees the end of the threat from the Golden Goddess that has plagued the characters since the first book in the Children of D'Hara series. I'm glad, however, that it was left as one longer book and not two short ones. I found the end of the Golden Goddess extremely unsatisfying and far too easy, although the author makes up for it in the continued problems Richard faces after ending that threat. And the "Witch's Oath" section was pretty cool but ultimately not at all surprising in who was actually behind it (I called it as soon as I read that a Witch's Oath had been invoked). Still, it was nice to see some familiar faces pop up and have some untied threads finally put to rest and I had fun reading it. I do wonder if he will continue to write further adventures, as it's clear that certain new characters are going to be extremely powerful in their gifts of magic. If more books are written, I will gladly read them.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#28 Surfside Sisters by Nancy Thayer

Light and fluffy beach read with unrealistic plot turns.

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
46) Tandia by Bryce Courtenay this is the sequel to The Power of One detailing the struggle for justice during the Apartheid era in South Africa. Tandia is a half Indian half black girl who was brutally raped by a white policeman at her father’s funeral. This event triggers her to join the fight against the injustices brought on by the apartheid regime. Joining her fight is Peekay fresh from Oxford University and the welterweight champion of the world. I’m not into boxing so I could have done without the pages of references to it, but it does form an integral part of this novel. All in all this was a compelling and well written novel

Last edited by Crazy_Babe; 07/20/20 05:39 PM.

Helen Keller
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
33: The Teacher-Friendly Guide to Climate Change by INgrid H.H. Zabel - Somewhat slow and painful beginning, but informational nonetheless. Honestly, I didn't finish the entire book, skimming sections, and skipping other sections altogether that didn't seem to pertain to things I could actually use in my classroom.

34: Bipolar Disorder for Dummies by Candida Fink - Informational, well organized. I did a fair amount of skimming with this one as well. And I spent a good bit of time (after writing this) carrying on about the author's first name...

35: The Pursuit of Lady Harriett by Rachael Anderson - Same Series as Rise of Miss Notley. An interesting story of a woman who sees herself in constant competition with those around her. Heartwarming.

36: Honor and Redemption by M.A. Nichols - This book turned out to have multiple plot lines and it was a great read.

37: The Last Eligible Bachelor by Ashtyn Newbold. I loved this one. Not your usual characters in a historical romance and written from first person.

38: The Noble Guardian by Michelle Griep. This one is actually some other number, I just forgot to mark it. I read it monhts ago. An interesting twist on the classic historical romance.

39: Wedded for the Baby by Dorothy Clark. A rather cheesy read, but enjoyable. Somewhat centered around a fictitional flu epidemic which I was not too happy about showing up in my fiction reading right now.

40: Diamond in the Rough by Jen Turano. Jen Turano's books feature female characters that remind me of Lois Lane - fearless, stubborn, prone to finding themselves in situations where they need someone to save them. This one was named Poppy and she did not disappoint.

The last month has been interesting to say the least.

Columnist
Columnist
I was reading a lot at the beginning of the year, but lately not as much. I was working on Jenna Bush-Hager's Book Club from the Today Show. I read about half of the books from this year and then suddenly couldn't read as much.

I read

1. Dear Edward by Ann Napolitano (heartbreaking story about a boy who survived a plane crash)
2. Evvie Drake Starts Over by Linda Holmes (nice easy read that went fast)
3. Searching for Sylvie Lee by Jean Kwok (hard to read at first, but was nice to hear about another country and it's traditions).
4. A Woman Is No Man by Etaf Rum (this book I wanted to scream through so many times at the characters but worth the read).
5. The Last Romantics by Tara Conklin (I enjoyed this book about the bond between siblings)

Right now I'm listening to Hilarie Burton's The Rural Diaries which I find very entertaining and funny at times.

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
47) April Fool’s Day by Bryce Courtenay don’t be deceived by the title, because this book is anything but light hearted. While this book does have some light hearted moments, it also reduced me to tears by the end of it which is a hard thing to do. Courtenay wrote this as a testament to his youngest son Damon who would tragically pass away from medically acquired HIV/AIDS due to his having been born a haemophiliac. It details not only the physical struggles with haemophilia and HIV/AIDS, but also the fight against the prejudices surrounding HIV/AIDS during the 1980s. Beautifully written and utterly heartbreaking

Last edited by Crazy_Babe; 07/23/20 07:11 AM.

Helen Keller
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#29 The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennet

This was a story about two light-skinned black sisters who grew up in the South during the 40s. Both left home - one passing for white, the other for black. This book had great potential but it fell a bit flat for me.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
#24 - Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton

I've read this one at least half a dozen times, but every so often I just HAVE to go back and revisit it. I adore it. It's quite a bit different from the movie (which I also adore). I'm firmly in Camp "Would Totally Go to the Dinosaur Theme Park and Consequences Be Damned." With the way 2020 is going, at least getting eaten by a T-Rex would be going out in style.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#30 Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell

Interesting read about the factors that contribute to success.

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
48) Walking Free by Dr Munjed Al-Muderis with contribution from Patrick Weaver Dr Al-Muderis is an Iraqi born Australian orthopaedic surgeon based in Sydney who is world renown for his pioneering work in the surgical technique of osseointergration which has given amputees the chance to walk unaided again. Born into a well connected wealthy Iraqi family he lived a life of relative privilege however, this would change while he had begun his hospital training. In 1999 a group of military police officers stormed the hospital and demanded that the head of surgery mutilate the ears of a group of military deserters. When he refused to do so the surgery chief was summarily executed in front of his staff. The choice was clear obey and live or follow the Hippocratic oath of ‘do no harm’ and lose your life for it. Fleeing to Australia by boat, Al-Muderis would endure humiliation and mistrust spending nearly a year in a detention camp in the Western Australian desert before being granted a visa and begin practicing medicine. A beautiful story of hope and how people shouldn’t immediately prejudice a group of people based on preconceived notions.

49) Going Back: How a former refugee, now an internationally acclaimed surgeon, returned to Iraq to change the lives of injured soldiers and civilians by Dr Munjed Al-Muderis with contribution from Patrick Weaver now a world renown orthopaedic surgeon who has changed the lives of not only Australian amputees, but also many worldwide including former British soldiers wounded in combat (which would culminate in not only witnessing one of his patients walk unaided to receive an MBE from Queen Elizabeth II for his fund raising efforts for veterans, but also a visit from Prince Harry) Dr Al-Muderis returns to land of his birth for the first time since fleeing in 1999. This goes over the technology and techniques used in osseointergration as well as stories from the lives he has helped change for the better. While the obstacles he faces with corruption in the Iraqi government over funding for the project, this shows his humanitarian side and his drive to want to make lives better for the people not only from his birthplace, but also from other countries what have suffered from the consequences of war.

Last edited by Crazy_Babe; 08/02/20 07:03 AM.

Helen Keller
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#31 The Cactus by Sarah Haywood

For Susan Green, messy emotions don't fit into the equation of her perfectly ordered life. She has a flat that is ideal for one, a job that suits her passion for logic, and an "interpersonal arrangement" that provides cultural and other, more intimate, benefits. But suddenly confronted with the loss of her mother and the news that she is about to become a mother herself, Susan's greatest fear is realized. She is losing control.

I thought this book was going to be similar to Eleanor Oliphant but it missed the mark.

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
50) The Road to Oxiana by Robert Byron In 1933 the author journeys across the Middle Eastern desert sands though Persia to Afghanistan. While interesting, I also found it a little confusing since it didn’t appear to be in any sequential order and he jumps from place to place rather randomly.

Helen Keller
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#32 A Week at the Shore by Barbara Delinsky

In her new bestseller, New York Times bestselling Barbara Delinsky explores how lives and relationships are forever changed when three sisters reunite at their family Rhode Island beach house.

If this were by a different author, I'd say this was an okay beach read. But I've read books that were so much better from this author that this book was disappointing.

Last edited by scifiJoan; 08/09/20 12:26 AM.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
#25 - Congo by Michael Crichton

Another reread because he's one of my favorite authors. I remember really loving this one the first time around but I had so many interruptions this time around that it lost a little of it's luster for me. Still, a very fun read.

#26 - The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien

Yet another reread. I just LOVE this book (not as much as The Lord of the Rings). I read it to my daughters. We did it last summer but the attention span was really too low for it. This year, they were super engaged with it and were (oddly enough) very upset by the fate of dear old Smaug the dragon.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
51) The Anarchy: The Relentless Rise of the East India Company by William Dalrymple I wasn’t sure what to expect from this one, but it was certainly eye opening to say the least. This book explains how the British would end up being one of the most powerful empires in the world and how they gained a foothold in India. While interesting, the chapters are rather long and at times tedious. Still, the book is well researched and has some excellent points to be made in terms of how private companies can influence the world.

52) Midnight Sun by Stephenie Meyer ok I’ll freely admit to liking the Twilight Saga though I’ve not read or watched the movies in quite a number of years. I read this more out of a desire to read something completely nonsensical and for pure escape given my preference for reading non-fiction or biographies. For fans it will be a fun read to get inside Edward’s head, but personally much more long winded than what I was expecting it to be given how short the original novel was. That being said it also filled in a lot of the blanks that weren’t mentioned from Bella’s perspective

Last edited by Crazy_Babe; 08/15/20 08:05 AM.

Helen Keller
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#33 Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng

Lydia is dead. But they don’t know this yet.

So begins this exquisite novel about a Chinese American family living in 1970s small-town Ohio. Lydia is the favorite child of Marilyn and James Lee, and her parents are determined that she will fulfill the dreams they were unable to pursue. But when Lydia’s body is found in the local lake, the delicate balancing act that has been keeping the Lee family together is destroyed, tumbling them into chaos.

A profoundly moving story of family, secrets, and longing, Everything I Never Told You is both a gripping page-turner and a sensitive family portrait, uncovering the ways in which mothers and daughters, fathers and sons, and husbands and wives struggle, all their lives, to understand one another.

This wasn't a feel good book but a well written character driven story.

#34 Dear Edward by Ann Napolitano

One summer morning, twelve-year-old Edward Adler, his beloved older brother, his parents, and 183 other passengers board a flight in Newark headed for Los Angeles. Among them is a Wall Street wunderkind, a young woman coming to terms with an unexpected pregnancy, an injured vet returning from Afghanistan, a septuagenarian business tycoon, and a free-spirited woman running away from her controlling husband. And then, tragically, the plane crashes. Edward is the sole survivor.

Touching story which alternates between the characters while on the plane and how Edward copes afterward the crash.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#35 Finding Dorothy by Elizabeth Letts

A richly imagined novel that tells the story behind The Wonderful Wizard of Oz , the book that inspired the iconic film, through the eyes of author L. Frank Baum's intrepid wife, Maud--from the family's hardscrabble days in South Dakota to the Hollywood film set where she first meets Judy Garland.

A neat peak into some of the real life events that inspired The Wizard of Oz.

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
53) The Travels by Marco Polo while this started out promising by the end I was struggling to finish it as I grew increasingly bored with the repetitiousness of his descriptions of the people and locales. Definitely can see why scholars have debated about whether or not Polo actually travelled to China

Helen Keller
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#36 Big Summer by Jennifer Weiner

Six years after the fight that ended their friendship, Daphne Berg is shocked when Drue Cavanaugh walks back into her life, looking as lovely and successful as ever, with a massive favor to ask. Daphne hasn’t spoken one word to Drue in all this time—she doesn’t even hate-follow her ex-best friend on social media—so when Drue asks if she will be her maid-of-honor at the society wedding of the summer, Daphne is rightfully speechless

I needed something lighter and this fit the bill.

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
54) It Doesn’t Take a Hero by General H. Norman Schwarzkopf Well written autobiography of the man who would earn the nickname ‘Stormin’ Norman’ after the First Gulf War.

55) Crusade in Europe by General Dwight Eisenhower admittedly I didn’t enjoy this as much as I thought I would. I found it rather laborious, while certainly interesting to read it through his eyes, it was extremely slow going

Helen Keller
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#37 Bad Blood: Secrets and LIes in a Silcon Valley Startup by John Carreyrou

The full inside story of the breathtaking rise and shocking collapse of a multibillion-dollar startup, by the prize-winning journalist who first broke the story and pursued it to the end in the face of pressure and threats from the CEO and her lawyers

What a nightmare! I can't believe this woman fooled so many people.

#38 American Dirt by Jeanine Cummings

After a drug cartel kills most of her family, a Mexico woman and her son flee to the United States.

This was a disturbing read. Apparently there's a lot of controversy about this book, which I was unaware of while reading. After looking into, I agree with some points but not with all of them.:

Last edited by scifiJoan; 09/09/20 08:01 PM.
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#39 Bloodchild and Other Stories by Octavia Butler

I thought I'd read all of Octavia Butler's work and was pleased to find this collection had a few stories I wasn't familiar with. It also had commentary from the author. I've always enjoyed that her science fiction works focus more on relationships than just the science.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
41: The Year of the Flu: A World War I Medical Thriller by Millys Altman. The Spanish flu fictionalized and from the viewpoint of a fresh out of medical school doctor in a coal mining town.

42: The 1918 Spanish Flu Pandemic: The History and Legacy of the World's Deadliest Influenza Outbreak by Charles River Editors. This one and #41 were chosen because I am not surprisingly frustrated with the current circumstances. People keep bringing up the Spanish flu, so I thought doing some research into it would be useful. They helped. This was more documentary style and featured a collection of letters written by people living through the ordeal.

43: Her Three Suitors by Aneka Walker. I did not realize this was a sort of retelling of Goldilocks and the Three Bears until I read some other reviews after I finished reading. I still don't really see it, its a flimsy connection at best. I did enjoy the story of a girl whose parents set up a house party for her and three suitors, during which she begins to believe that she is not who her parents claim she is.

44: The Matrimonial Advertisement by Mimi Matthews. I really enjoyed this one despite the changes I would have liked to see. A woman answers an ad placed by a man looking for a wife. It was going so great until closer to the end when the old miscommunication trope reared its ugly head. The rest of the story was exceedingly satisfying.

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
56) Vietnam: An Epic Tragedy 1945-1975 by Max Hastings There is no doubt that The Vietnam War was an extremely divisive conflict during the 20th Century much like of Iraq today. As divisive it was the conflict is actually a part of my own family history. My father is Chinese-Vietnamese and his childhood was shaped by the early upheavals of the early years of the war, due to potentially being conscripted my father who was 18 in 1963 was shuffled abroad as a student by my grandfather so most of what happened afterwards remains a mystery . This was eye opening for me as most of my understanding has always been an oversimplification of events coupled with what little my dad tells me.

Last edited by Crazy_Babe; 09/22/20 05:38 AM.

Helen Keller
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#40 The Farm by Joanne Ramos

Nestled in the Hudson Valley is a sumptuous retreat boasting every amenity: organic meals, private fitness trainers, daily massages—and all of it for free. In fact, you get paid big money—more than you've ever dreamed of—to spend a few seasons in this luxurious locale. The catch? For nine months, you belong to the Farm. You cannot leave the grounds; your every move is monitored. Your former life will seem a world away as you dedicate yourself to the all-consuming task of producing the perfect baby for your überwealthy clients.

This book had the potential to address a lot of social issues but it fell a bit flat.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#41 Southern Lady Code by Helen Ellis

The bestselling author of American Housewife is back with a fiercely funny collection of essays on marriage and manners, thank-you notes and three-ways, ghosts, gunshots, gynecology, and the Calgon-scented, onion-dipped, monogrammed art of living as a Southern Lady.

We've read so many heavy books for book club I thought we could use something light. This wasn't as fun as I hoped it would be.

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
57) Empress Dowager Cixi: The Concubine who Launched Modern China by Jung Chang Cixi as many imperial concubines may well have been lost to history had she not produced the only son of Emperor Xianfeng of the Qing Dynasty. The consequence of this would result in the downfall of China’s 2000 year old imperial system. There is no doubt that she is a polarising figure and Chang does attempt to separate fact from fiction using recently accessible imperial archives. What results though is the complete opposite and she comes across as completely bias towards her actions ignoring the fact that by installing children on the throne she as regent could control the affairs of the Qing court much of which would have dire consequences for the dynasty as a whole.

Last edited by Crazy_Babe; 09/30/20 04:13 AM.

Helen Keller
C
Kerth
Kerth
C
58) The Hero of Budapest: The Triumph and Tragedy of Raoul Wallenberg by Bengt Jangfeldt (translated by Harry Watson) I first came across the story of Raoul Wallenberg after reading John Bierman’s book ‘Righteous Gentile: The Story of Raoul Wallenberg Missing Hero of the Holocaust’ after I chose the book for a school assignment. Bierman’s book though only went through his exploits in Budapest and his subsequent disappearance. Given when the book was originally published, there was still conjecture at the time as to his fate after his arrest by Soviet authorities and subsequent imprisonment on the charge of spying. This is a well researched and enjoyable biography of Wallenberg who risked his life to save the Jews of Budapest from being taken to the death camps as part of Hitler’s Final Solution. Using recently accessible documents the author attempts to piece together what exactly happened to Wallenberg after his arrest and while the real truth remains a mystery and even the author himself questions the story given to him because of the source and the amount of conjecture in other archives from the west as to his fate the fact remains that he was indeed an inspiring individual

Last edited by Crazy_Babe; 10/07/20 04:45 AM.

Helen Keller
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#42 A Good Marriage by Kimberly McCreight

Big Little Lies meets Presumed Innocent in this riveting novel from the New York Times bestselling author of Reconstructing Amelia, in which a woman’s brutal murder reveals the perilous compromises some couples make—and the secrets they keep—in order to stay together.

Interesting thriller with lots of twists

#43 The Affair by Collette Freedman

The author takes us through the revelation of an affair first from the POV of the wife, then the husband, then the mistress. It gets a little repetitive since it focuses on the same three day period but the author does a good job of conveying each characters' POV.

#44 The Consequences by Collette Freedman

This book starts up right where the other leaves off. You're definitely rooting for some characters over the others in this one. The resolution makes sense but pushes credibility in some ways.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#45 Hidden Valley Drive: Inside the Mind of an American Family by Robert Kolker

The heartrending story of a midcentury American family with twelve children, six of them diagnosed with schizophrenia, that became science's great hope in the quest to understand the disease.

The author intermingles the disturbing history of this family with scientific research on schizophrenia.

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
59) Wars of Blood and Faith: The Conflicts that will Shape the 21st Century by Ralph Peters I found this is a junk shop I frequent because I’ve found heaps of interesting books for cheap. I think when I saw the title I envisioned something much different to what was delivered. While the author made very interesting points in each of the essays he put forward, his political stance bothered me and his bias because of it was very evident.

60) Travels into Bokhara: A Voyage up the Indus to Lahore and a Journey to Cabool, Tartary & Persia by Alexander Burnes On the guise of just being a traveller, Burnes would be later known as one of the first British spies. His travels through Central Asia and Persia would become part of what Rudyard Kipling would later coin as ‘The Great Game’. Through his travels, the British Empire would become the most powerful in the world in the 19th century through which, the famed Koh-I-Noor diamond now part of the British Crown Jewels would be ‘acquired’

Helen Keller
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
[B]#46 The Sound of Gravel by Ruth Wariner

Ruth Wariner was the thirty-ninth of her father’s forty-two children. Growing up on a farm in rural Mexico, where authorities turned a blind eye to the practices of her community, Ruth lives in a ramshackle house without indoor plumbing or electricity. At church, preachers teach that God will punish the wicked by destroying the world and that women can only ascend to Heaven by entering into polygamous marriages and giving birth to as many children as possible.

The abuse the author endured was horrifying. I kept reading because I had to see her get out of this situation. Although the author loved her mother, the mother's poor choices drove me nuts. While the author eventually left these circumstances, it would've been nice to have a few chapters describing the adjustment to the real world.

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
61) Lords of the Desert: Britain’s Struggle with America to Dominate the Middle East by James Barr this can be viewed as a continuation of Barr’s previous book A Line in the Sand: Britain, France and the Struggle that Shaped the Middle East. I thoroughly enjoyed the first one so I had certain expectations of this one and in the end I was rather disappointed. While a great overview of the event during and after World War II, I also felt it was rather rushed rather than concise and clear.

62) Taiwan’s Statesman: Lee Teng-Hui and Democracy in Asia by Richard C. Kagan Lee’s recent death triggered an outpouring of grief in Taiwan (known formally as The Republic of China). Widely regarded as the man who finally brought democracy to Taiwan as the first democratically elected president (as well as being the first to be born in Taiwan), Lee’s rise was not without its troubles. This though isn’t just a short biography of Lee, but it also outlines the tumultuous social and political history of Taiwan from the early years of Dutch occupation through to how Taiwan would become embroiled in the debate of whether or not it belongs to Mainland China.

Helen Keller
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#47 After the Fall by Noah Hawley

On a foggy summer night, 11 people - 10 privileged, one down-on-his-luck painter - depart Martha's Vineyard on a private jet headed for New York. Sixteen minutes later the unthinkable happens: The plane plunges into the ocean. The only survivors are Scott Burroughs - the painter - and a four-year-old boy who is now the last remaining member of an immensely wealthy and powerful media mogul's family.

A bit of a mystery with some interesting characters.

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
63) Formosa Betrayed by George H. Kerr Kerr was an American diplomat who was in Formosa (Taiwan) during WWII. This book is an account of the fumbles made by the American policy to properly define the island and answer the question of whether or not Taiwan is a part of China the consequences of which Taiwanese still live with today. Visit Taipei today and you’ll come across a park known as the 228 Peace Memorial Park where an uprising was quashed by Chiang Kai-Shek’s occupying forces leading to the deaths of many and the introduction of martial law in Taiwan. My opinion of Taiwanese independence is set so this didn’t really influence me in that sense, but certainly this was eye opening for me though I did lose a little interest in the end.

64) The Berlin Airlift: The Relief Operation that Defined the Cold War by Barry Turner a wonderful account of a daring humanitarian feat to relieve besieged citizens in a divided city in a divided and occupied country. Highly dangerous and ambitious, the Berlin Airlift was a well coordinated operation by British and American airmen to relieve Berlin citizens caught up in a nasty war of attrition with Stalin’s Soviet forces. Well written with eye witness accounts it is a fascinating look into the first major stand-off during the Cold War

Last edited by Crazy_Babe; 10/26/20 04:17 AM.

Helen Keller
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#48 Talking with Strangers by Malcom Gladwell

This book talks about how we interact with strangers. Some of the ideas caused some controversy with readers. I thought he raised some good points.

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
65) The Silk Road in World History by Xinru Liu this is a quick overview of the development of what is arguably the most famous trade route in history. I had the expectation that it was going to be longer than this, but still a good summary.

66) The Early Chinese Empires: Qin and Han by Mark Edward Lewis this starts off a series on the history of Imperial China following the establishment of the Qin Dynasty, the first of a United China. In the end I was rather disappointed with this one. Although interesting in some aspects, I felt that there was no chronological order in what the author was writing about. This is ok if you want a quick overview, but I was expecting much more than what was delivered.

67) China Between Empires: The Northern and Southern Dynasties by Mark Edward Lewis this one follows on from the previous book and looks into the period between the collapse of the Han Dynasty to the establishment of the Tang Dynasty. The Three Kingdoms period which would happen at the end of the Han was the period I was especially interested in and I again expected more than just the quick overview. That being said this was much better than the previous book as it also looked deeper into the development of the social aspect of life in imperial China.

Helen Keller
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#49 Dracula by Bram Stoker

I like horror. I've read tons of books about vampires, supernatural, etc. I've seen multiple versions of Dracula - plays, movies, etc... Buffy the Vampire Slayer is one of my all time favorite TV shows. I couldn't stand this book. I've read older literature and the language can take time to adjust to. LIke Pride and Prejudice or Jane Eyre, which I enjoy. The writing was so stiff and the journal style didn't work well. We barely saw Dracula and he wasn't the least bit attractive! The only reason I finished this book was for a book club discussion.

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
68) China’s Cosmopolitan Empire: The Tang Dynasty by Mark Edward Lewis The Tang Dynasty is often touted as the high point in Chinese culture and the golden age of its imperial history so much so that despite being Han ethnically the term most used is Tang Person/People to describe people of Chinese descent. In saying that though, I was hoping for a much more thorough history than what was delivered.

69) Nimitz by E.B. Potter this is as the definitive biography of Admiral Chester W. Nimitz Fleet Admiral and Commander in Chief of the Pacific Fleet in WWII. While certainly filled with his wartime service record given that the conflict formed a large part of his life, I was expecting a lot more personal stories about his life than just a detailed run down of his WWII record.

70) How Democracy Ends by David Runciman though short this is an analysis into the end of democracy as how we’ve always perceived it. In saying that though given the current political climate we are in it is hard to share the optimism he has about where we go from here.

Last edited by Crazy_Babe; 11/13/20 07:27 AM.

Helen Keller
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
@scifiJoan: You have to remember that Stoker wrote this in the 1890's, the late Victorian years. People at that time had no internet, movie theater, TV, or glam rock bands to compete with the written product. Were Stoker to have waited until 2020 to submit his work for publication, he would have received any number of "not quite what we're looking for" letters from all kinds of publishers. The book was slow, the diary format took a lot of the tension out of the confrontations - because, after all, the writer survived to record his or her thoughts - but people around the turn of that century ate it up. It didn't work for you - wouldn't work for most readers today - but the English and Americans of the day loved it.

@Crazy_Babe: re: "hard to share Runciman's optimism." We have to remember that the current political climate is not new. The elections of 1800 (Jefferson), 1828 (Jackson), 1860 (Lincoln), 1900 (McKinley), 1920 (Harding), 2000 (Bush), and others have all been quite challenging. This election is also quite challenging. I'm optimistic because no political cycle lasts forever. I just finished Max Hastings' Vietnam, which is a detailed account (down to the individual soldiers in the field for all sides) of what happened in that country. In 1975, the Communist north took over the nation and imposed a terribly oppressive regime on all the people. Today, despite still being Communist, private enterprise and private property is making a comeback, simply because the socialist system has failed and continues to fail. We as a nation will persevere.

Or not.

History is made up of the actions of individuals, but history has no compassion for individuals. Like the Stephen Crane poem:

A man said to the universe, "Sir, I exist!"
"However," replied the universe, "that fact has not produced in me
A sense of obligation."

All we can do is do the right thing and not lose hope in the doing of it.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
Terry, it's interesting to see just how many changes have occurred over the years to the plot of Dracula when compared to the original publication. I was surprised by how many concepts (such as Dracula being seductive) I thought were cannon/original from the source material, actually were not.

I agree, readers at that time had different expectations. More elaborate description was appreciated due to lack of exposure to many of these ideas or places. While I haven't read "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea", my husband found the endless descriptions of underwater creatures very dull. Yet at the time, even the idea of a submarine was unheard of. Another example, I've read "The Invisible Man" by H.G. Wells. The main theme of the book, 'he's invisible'. I'm reading along thinking, 'Okay. And what does he do?" But at that time, just the concept of a man becoming invisible was enough to sustain interest.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#50 Vox by Christina Dalcher

Set in an America where half the population has been silenced, VOX is the harrowing, unforgettable story of what one woman will do to protect herself and her daughter.

On the day the government decrees that women are no longer allowed to speak more than 100 words daily, Dr. Jean McClellan is in denial—this can't happen here. Not in America. Not to her.

This is just the beginning.

I love post-apocalyptic-dystopian stories so I was excited to read this. I wasn't impressed. It reminded me of poorer version of "Handmaid's Tale", a book I enjoyed. The characters were not likeable. The plot had some ridiculous turns and seemed to resolve itself way too neatly. Parts of it made no sense to me. I do not recommend this book.

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
Hi Terry I’ll freely admit to being a cynic, so while I agreed with his points that we will move past this, what I’ve witnessed has been no reflection of that. My father is from Vietnam so Hastings’ book was an eye opening experience for me because my father doesn’t really talk about it, my mother is from Taiwan and lived through the years of martial law under the KMT. Seeing how Taiwan has emerged from those years gives me hope that democratic ideals will persevere, but conversely I have the perspective that when Saigon fell my family lost everything and so my father carries a lot of resentment towards communism and the threat that mainland China poses for the ideals of democracy in Taiwan and at present Hong Kong so my perspective is shaped by this. This actually ends up being a nice segue to the next book on my reading list:

71) The Restless Wave: Good Times, Just Causes, Great Fights and Other Appreciations by John McCain I’m very cynical when it comes to politicians and I adopt the view that they are all as bad as each other so when I decided to read this I was expecting a book that would be entirely self serving. I’m glad though that I was proven wrong. I may not agree with McCain on certain issues especially since I most definitely don’t have conservative views, but I can respect his service to his country and his dedication to protecting the freedoms of people everywhere. This is a man who was able developed lasting friendships with people on both sides of politics despite their disagreements on many issues something that the current crop of politicians today would do well to remember.

Helen Keller
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#51 The Last Wife by Karen Hamilton

Nina and Marie were best friends—until Nina was diagnosed with a terminal illness. Before she died, Nina asked Marie to fulfill her final wishes.

But her mistake was in thinking Marie was someone she could trust.

What Nina didn’t know was that Marie always wanted her beautiful life, and that Marie has an agenda of her own. She’ll do anything to get what she wants.

Run of the mill thriller with unlikeable characters.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#52 Want by Lynn Steger Strong

Elizabeth is tired. Years after coming to New York to try to build a life, she has found herself with two kids, a husband, two jobs, a PhD―and now they’re filing for bankruptcy. As she tries to balance her dream and the impossibility of striving toward it while her work and home lives feel poised to fall apart, she wakes at ungodly hours to run miles by the icy river, struggling to quiet her thoughts.

From the description of this novel, I thought it would deal with the struggles a woman faces due to economic situations. As expected this woman was clearly depressed. Yet she despite all her circumstances (and her supposeded intelligence), she continued to make things worse, making one poor decisions after another.

Last edited by scifiJoan; 11/26/20 11:21 AM.
C
Kerth
Kerth
C
72) Lost Horizon by James Hilton four people involved in a plane crash find themselves in the legendary realm of Shangri-La the utopian paradise nestled in the Himalayas. I was hoping this to be more adventurous than what was delivered so I was a little disappointed, but still enjoyable.

73) All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque as someone who has always been interested in military history, this book has sat on my shelf for a few years unread. The book echoes one of my favourite Wilfred Owen poems ‘Anthem For Doomed Youth’ as they both deal with the horrors of war and how they affect the individual. This is perhaps best summarised by its opening: ‘This books is intended neither as an accusation nor as a confession, but simply as an attempt to give an account of a generation that was destroyed by war - even those of it who survived the shelling.’

74) Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone by J.K Rowling this is a reread. I’m not a huge fan of the series by any means, but this was more a means of escape from my usual reading of quite serious topics. This edition I read is the illustrated one, but designed for kindle-in-motion and so many of the pictures were animated which makes the experience all the more enjoyable especially if you have children. Sadly the others have yet to be done in this format as I imagine that process is rather long, but will look forward to seeing them when they do.

75) The Age of Confucian Rule: The Song Transformation of China by Dieter Kuhn this is the fourth book in the series on imperial China and the first written by a different author. Again for me while interesting, I was also hoping it was going to be a little more in-depth than what was delivered. This is great if you would like a quick overview, but certainly not what I expected.

76) The Troubled Empire:China in the Yuan and Ming Dynasties by Timothy Brook the fifth book of the series which again didn't meet my expectations. This is will be fine if you want a quick overview of the period, but like the previous books I wanted something more detailed. Especially given that the author only gave the quickest of overviews on the downfall of the Ming and didn’t mention Koxinga a half Japanese-half Chinese Ming loyalist who was also part of the resistance against the Qing Dynasty

Helen Keller
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#53 Perfect Match by Jodi Picoult

Picoult brings to life a female prosecutor whose cherished family is shattered when she learns that her five-year-old son has been sexually abused.

I was surprised there was a PIcoult book I hadn't read. This was not one of her better works. I don't recommend it. The main character was unlikeable, the climax utterly ridiculous.

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
77) Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K Rowling again a re-read of this one for me as is the next one below

78) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K Rowling

79) Quidditch Through the Ages (Hogwarts Library Collection) by Kennilworthy Whisp ok so this book is actually of course written by Rowling, but since it is really a part of the Hogwarts book collection I’ll keep the name as what it is said to be authored by. If you’re a fan of the series you’ll definitely enjoy this look into the history of the wizard it sport Quidditch. Bonus points also go out for having an Australian team from the city of Wollongong which is a real place that is about 60-70km south of Sydney

80) The Tales of Beedle the Bard (Hogwarts Library Collection) by J.K Rowling muggles have Grimm’s Fairytales, wizards have this one. This edition also has explanations as to the meaning or moral of the story being told.

81) China’s Last Empire: The Great Qing by William T. Rowe this is the last in the series about the imperial system of China. The Qing Empire was the last imperial dynasty to rule China before the establishment of the republic. Of the books in this series, this is my pick of the lot which may have more to do with the familiarity with the history of some of the major players during this period (in fact my mother knew the grandchildren of one of the major Qing court officials during the dying years of the dynasty). That being said because of my relative knowledge of this period, I was also aware that there were some things that were omitted so it kept me from giving the book full marks

82) Why we get the Wrong Politicians by Isabel Hardman this book further emphasised my belief that all politicians are as bad as each other. This book pertains to the politics of Britain and so if you haven’t kept up to date with what has been going on you’ll find this hard to understand.

Last edited by Crazy_Babe; 12/05/20 07:23 AM.

Helen Keller
C
Kerth
Kerth
C
83) Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel I’m not a fan of historical fiction as my usual reading is history in general, but this I thoroughly enjoyed as a look into the opulent and brutal world of Henry VIII’s court and the rise of its central character Thomas Cromwell. I often don’t say this about books that win major literary prizes (especially since I was put off reading Hemingway’s books for years after reading The Old Man and Sea not understanding how it contributed to his being awarded the Nobel for literature until I finally decided to read A Farewell to Arms and For Whom the Bell Tolls), but this I found to be page turner right from the beginning.

84) Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel the sequel to Wolf Hall and as usual with sequels I tend to find the second book a little difficult to really absorb myself. More often than not I force myself to finish. In the end though I did end up enjoying it as the pace picked up towards the end

Last edited by Crazy_Babe; 12/13/20 03:29 AM.

Helen Keller
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#53 Wish You Were Here by Stewart O'Nan

Multiple generations of a family meet at a cabin in upstate New York for their annual week long vacation.

This was a long book with little action. What was interesting (and not so interesting) was that it read like what a real family might deal with. The boredom, the petty grudges. We followed nine people, which got a little confusing when it came to the kids. While there were personality conflicts, there was no true climax to the book.

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
85) Great Books of the Western World Volume 43: American State Papers, The Federalist and J.S Mill once at a car boot (trunk) sale, the Lions Club had a stall selling books. At the time my intention was only asking how much was it for the book on the top which was Leo Tolstoy’s War and Peace, but the lady said I could take the whole box for $10 so naturally me being the hoarder I am I bought the entire box, having only glanced at a few, of which I was familiar with and realised that I had a good set of the Great Books of the Western World a collection is heard about, but never actually had seen. This is one the ones I didn’t even notice initially and so I decided to read it. Admittedly though I certainly found it interesting, I did struggle to get through it as I found it rather too dry even for someone who’s reading taste is usually fairly dry in the first place.

Last edited by Crazy_Babe; 12/26/20 07:23 AM.

Helen Keller
C
Kerth
Kerth
C
86) A Promised Land by Barack Obama last book of the year as we see off 2020. I found this to be well written, insightful and full of humour. My only real criticism from my perspective is that there was one aspect I’d hoped would be further elaborated on beyond what he’d written, but otherwise that I did really enjoy this.

Helen Keller
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard