Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#285847 10/28/19 10:46 PM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Not sure where to post a thread about the boards themselves, but anyway: is anyone else having trouble with viewing the boards on mobile? I'm on an android phone and didn't use to have any issues with the site, but since the latest fixup, I find it just doesn't fit in the screen anymore. I thought I should say something just in case this was an unnoticed bug.

Last edited by Queen of the Capes; 10/28/19 10:47 PM.

~•~
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
It fits on my phone, but just barely. It's huge and clunky to try to read, much easier on the eyes to use it on my laptop. I'm also an Android person - had the Samsung Galaxy S8 when the upgrade happened and just upgraded to the S10 this weekend and still have the same problem with the view.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

R
Blogger
Blogger
R
It probably has to do with the custom theme used.
I don't want to take over from the regular admins.
But if they would enable a additional theme a user can pick a default theme for a test and we can rule that out.

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Ruben, that's a great idea. I don't know how much the existing theme is based on the one from the v6 boards, but once we have a default-theme up and running, it should be fairly straight forward to customize that one have the 'our' look and feel. After all, it's mainly colors.

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
R
Blogger
Blogger
R
Well you can just edit the custom theme if that results in what the issue is.
There are some extra css settings in in that style which have some width settings and that could be interfering with the stock code for mobile friendly.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Default style does work a bit better. It's far less chunky looking on my phone with it, rather than the LnC setting. Thanks!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Question, I'm just seeing this, is this still an issue?

Annette wink

www.kerthawards.com
www.lcficmbs.com
www.folcvideo.com
www.nfanfic.net
www.annesplace.net

"There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America." Bill Clinton, inaugural address, January 21, 1993
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Default is working okay for me. But it's not optimal. I find it far less easy on the eye than the old way. Here's a screenshot of my phone, zoomed out as far as it will let me. It's a bit...claustrophic feeling as you can (hopefully, if this attaches correctly) see.

[Linked Image]

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Annette, yeah, I think it's still an issue (see rest of post). I'm happy to take this and run with it.

Vicki, given I might be waking sleeping dogs here: up till right now, there was just the LnC style available so all the effects you observed have been placebo effects. I've now activated three additional styles available on the boards out of the box (that's what Ruben suggested in the earlier posts). You can switch them (or preview them) via "Preferences" in the expando-menu on your user name right top corner. The option is "Your Preferred Forum Style (aka Skin/Theme)". I haven't had time yet to do a deeper dive into the styles and try to figure out if it's just something with our LnC default style or a more general problem (don't think so / hope so). If you could give them a spin and when you find one that does a good layout on the phone, I can look into updating the colors for that style / checking to make this the new default if it works well for all screens.

Mind you, that will take a bit of time (um holiday-ish) given my current RL load to get it to the finish line, but a good phone experience is important these days smile

Just for fun: on my Windows Phone (yes, those are still around), I'm no longer able to double-tap to zoom just into the content part of the posts. So, yeah, there's definitely something off.

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Michael, thanks! On my S10, UBB is a little smaller, less congested looking (plus a really pretty light blue that's easy on my eyes). I'll be keeping it on this setting. smile

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oh, just noticed, your wave emoticon comes up as a broken picture icon that says wave next to it. Checking the drop down list in full editor shows almost all of the emoticons like that.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Vicki!

*big sigh* looks like some of the emoticons are specific to the selected style. Or rather, must be imported into all the individual styles. So, those that weren't UBB stock are broken outside of the LnC style.
buzzzzzy
Okay, I now know the where and how, but I don't want to modify the original styles. Instead, will create a copy and fix the images there. Weekend okay?

wave Michael

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oh, and just realized, there's another style UBBT77 I skipped on the first run. That's now enabled, too. And the emoticons work.

Also, the style switch is also available at the bottom of each page.

wave Michael

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks, Michael!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

R
Blogger
Blogger
R
for the smilies stuff.
Some are specific to a style.
To make them appear you will need to check the style editor where they are placed. then copy them to the location where the other style is.
Or change the location of them in the style editor.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard