“Is this what you expected,” Lex asked Kal-El after they both arrived well after the party was underway.

He shook is head, amazed by the intense revelry.

“After the invasion,” Lois said, coming in right after them, “when people party, they no longer hold back. We – all of us – never thought we'd be anything other than slaves… or rats, underground.” Her voice was dark and bitter as she spoke these words. She hadn't wanted to be difficult with Kal-El who had, thus far, shown an incredible amount of strength in his willingness to endure human rage – she just couldn't hold back sometimes and she knew he didn't want that from her anyways.

“Celebrations are important,” Kal-El agreed quietly. “Especially after what you all suffered.”

“Did your people celebrate the overthrowing of the false government.”

“Not like this. “

“Too wild? Too primitive?” Lois's voice held a bit of an edge still

He regarded her carefully.

“No. I did not mean that. We don't celebrate like this now, but we did in the past- and not because it was primitive behavior — we were a different people before we knew we were doomed.”

“That's… interesting.”

“Before we knew our world was doomed, we were careless with it's resources. Our society wasn't based on inherited titles either. “

“Why did you revert to inherited titles,” asked Lex.

Kal-El flushed.

“Long before Krypton actually died, the scientific community had predicted it – not really when… but that it would happen and it would happen probably within a 1-2 centuries. They collectively began to make plans for our species survival -including changing our society from a more egalitarian one – to the one you now see. Women lost their political power - because … “ he paused seeing that Lois had grown pale.

“You needed them as brood mares,” she said. “So take away their right to say no?”

“And take away a man's right to fight for a woman's right to say no,” Lex added. “To the king, the riches go.”

“Yes, “ Kal-El looked uncomfortable. “That is indeed what happened. “

“So if a Kryptonian from 300 years ago came to earth during the invasion, they would have no problem ousting your clone from power because they wouldn't have seen him as having power over their own choices.”

“Yes.”

“Well.That really sucks,” Lois said. Lex winced at her terminology and she glared at him. He shrugged at her.

“To be fair – our own people have gone through that kind of societal structure more than once in recorded history – in fact, it goes on even now-or did-before the invasion.”

“The need to increase numbers and spread one's DNA does make people act like monsters at times,” Lois agreed. “It's just strange to think of your people as having a different structure – they were so completely devoted the idea of inherited leader that they allowed atrocities to happen. That's some hellish brainwashing.”

“Yes,” Kal-El agreed. “It is. And I hope it will change. Zara is a strong leader who has no tolerance at all for the abuse of women.”

Lois flushed and regarded him cooly. “Of course. She wouldn't.”

“As the head of your society, she can decree changes – but it will take a long time for people to actually change their ways. “ Lex added carefully. “I'm sure the abuses continue.”

“At least she's taking the first steps,” argued Lois.

“Her own experience taught her she would never wish to see anyone else forced to live like that.”

“How did we get on this particular topic,” Lex asked after an awkward break in the conversation.

“I began to talk about my people's older customs and -”

“I meant that rhetorically. Look, let's join the party – they've been watching us talk but are afraid to interrupt.”

“Afraid… “

“Social fear. Not physical.”

“Are you three planning on going in, or are you going to stand near the entrance,” Martha laughed as she and Bernie both came in together.

Last edited by L; 10/08/19 04:00 PM.

Silence is violence. End white supremacy based violence