Epilogue

One month later…

Erica Kent opened the door to the home on Hyperion Avenue, setting her purse on the table next to the door. Walking through the living room she entered the kitchen where Jon was seated at the table doing his homework.

“Mum!” he cried, running over to her. Erica leaned over, gathering him in her arms, kissing his cheek.

“There’s my big boy!” she said, setting him on the floor. “How was school?”

“It was great, Mum. We did math today, we learned multiplication and division. Will you check my homework later?” he said, sitting down again, concentrating on his paper.

“Of course, sweetheart,” Erica said, kissing the little boy on top of his head. Turning to her mother-in-law she smiled, hugging the older woman lovingly.

“Thanks again, Martha, I don’t know what we’d do without you.”

“It’s my pleasure, dear, Jon is such a good boy it’s no trouble at all. I’ve got dinner started so if it’s okay I’m going to head home to feed my husband.”

“Of course, Martha, tell Jonathan I said hello. By the way, if it’s no trouble could you and Jonathan come over later? Around 7:00 would be good.”

“I don’t see any problem with that, want to give me a hint?” she asked, a twinkle in her eye.

“Nope,” she said smiling happily. Once Martha left Erica dialed Sam and Ellen’s number.

“Hello?”

“Hi Ellen, it’s Erica.”

“Hello dear, how are you?”

“I’m fine, umm, would you and Sam be able to come over this evening at 7:00?”

“I don’t see why not, there’s nothing wrong, is there?”

“Oh, no! There’s nothing wrong. Martha and Jonathan are coming over and we want you there too.”

“Okay dear, we’ll see you then.” Ellen hung up the phone her curiosity now in high gear.

After dinner was over, Clark, Erica and Jon were watching television when the doorbell rang. Clark opened the door, finding his parents and his in-laws in the vestibule. Once everyone was seated Erica leaned forward, catching everyone’s attention.

“I had a doctor’s appointment today—”

“Are you okay, honey?” Clark interrupted worriedly.

“I’m fine, sweetheart, actually, I’m wonderful… I’m pregnant!” Erica exclaimed. There was a chorus of shouts of happiness and congratulations from everyone.

“Mum, I’m gonna have a brother or sister?” Jon asked, climbing onto her lap.

“Yes, Jon, are you happy?” she asked.

“Yes, Mum, I’ve always wanted a brother or sister, I can hardly wait! When will they get here?”

“It’ll be a few months yet,” she chuckled, hugging Jon to her breast. “He or she will need you to take care of them, they’ll need a big brother. Are you up for the job?” she asked lovingly.

“I sure am, Mum! I can hardly wait!” Jon hugged Erica tightly then got off her lap. “Can I go play?” Nodding her assent Jon raced up the stairs leaving the adults alone.

“I can hardly believe it,” Clark said, gazing into Erica’s eyes lovingly. “We’re going to have a baby!” Clark drew Erica into his arms, kissing her, resting his forehead against hers. Releasing her Erica stood up, accepting the loving hugs of her in-laws. The rest of the evening was spent talking and planning for the newest member of the Kent family.

That night Clark had another dream, a smiling Lois, surrounded by a heavenly glow, stood at the foot of the bed.

“Congratulations Clark, you have a wonderful wife and now you have a baby on the way. I’m so happy for you sweetheart. I can’t tell you how grateful I am that you found a new love. If I can’t be there for you I know you have a partner to support you and share the good times and the bad. I wish you and your wife all the best. We’ll see each other again someday but until then, be well. I love you!”

The next evening after work Clark and Erica flew over to S.T.A.R. Labs to see Bernie Klein.

“Clark! Erica! It’s good to see you. I want to tell you again how much fun Jessica and I had at the wedding.” Gesturing them into his office he sat in his desk chair while they sat on the couch. “So, what can I do for you?”

“Bernie, since you’re our family doctor we wanted you to know that we’re expecting!” Clark said proudly, holding Erica’s hand.

“That’s wonderful! Congratulations!” Bernie exclaimed, smiling broadly.

“I know last time Lois’s pregnancy was ‘normal’ but since this child is a potential super baby we thought you should know too, just in case.” Clark said.

“That’s a good idea. I don’t anticipate any problems but it’s better to play it safe. Erica, do you have an OB/GYN?”

“Yes, Dr. Sally Chamberlain, do you know her?”

“Yes, she’s very good. Would it be okay if I gave you a preliminary examination?” Bernie asked.

“Of course,” Erica said, a little nervously.

“You’ll find a gown in the bathroom over there. You get changed and I’ll get things set out here.” Erica squeezed Clark’s hand giving him a tremulous smile. Clark nodded to her, mouthing ‘I love you’.

Erica returned a few minutes later barefoot, wearing the gown. She climbed up onto the exam table smiling nervously. Bernie listened to her heart and lungs, checked her blood pressure and took a blood sample. He also listened to the baby’s heartbeat, declaring everything to be perfectly normal.

“If this baby is anything like Jon then your pregnancy should be normal. The only thing different is Kryptonian gestation is about a month longer, but that shouldn’t be an issue as determining the date of fertilization is rather inaccurate and you being a first-time mother the baby is usually late. You can get dressed now.” Bernie helped Erica off the table then he sat down to await her return.

“Thanks, Bernie,” Clark said once Erica had returned. “We feel better knowing everything is normal.”

“Yes, thanks, Bernie,” Erica said, kissing him on the cheek. “We’ll be sure to invite you and Jessica to the baby shower!” With that Erica and Clark left S.T.A.R. Labs hand in hand.

Seven and a half months later…

Erica Kent lay on the table in the delivery room, Dr. Sally Chamberlain seated between her legs, Clark at her side, holding her hand.

“You’re doing great honey,” Clark said supportively.

“Okay, Erica, one more big push,” the doctor said.

“UGHHHHH!” she screamed her body convulsing, squeezing Clark’s hand fiercely.

“Here we go!” Sally said, holding the newborn, supporting it as it exited Erica’s body. Patting the baby on the back the infant screamed, taking in that first breath. Handing the baby to the nurse she turned to Erica and Clark. “You have a healthy baby girl! Congratulations!”

“A girl,” Erica said, happily in between breaths. “We have a little girl!”

“I know, and she’s beautiful, like her mother,” Clark said, kissing his wife gently on the lips. The nurse, having cleaned and swaddled the baby in a blanket handed the girl to her mother.

“Hi, sweetheart, I love you so much,” Erica said, laying loving kisses on top of the girl’s head. Clark raised his hand, stroking her chin with his finger.

“Hey little one, I’m your daddy, God you are so beautiful.” The nurse took the baby in her arms to begin the post birth procedure, weighing, measuring her and other post birth tests.

“We’ll bring her to your room as soon as you get settled,” the nurse said. “Are you going to breast feed?”

“Oh, yes, I can hardly wait,” Erica said excitedly. Another nurse led Clark out of the delivery room while they saw to Erica.

“We’ll bring her back to her room in a few minutes, Mr. Kent. You can wait for your wife in there.” Clark left, returning to their room, taking off the scrubs he’d been wearing for the birth. Twenty minutes later Erica was wheeled into the room. Once she was settled in bed Clark sat beside her, holding her hand.

“I’m so proud of you,” Clark said, kissing her hand. “I still can’t believe we have a beautiful daughter.” Right then the nurse wheeled the bassinet into the room, picking the baby up she settled her into her mother’s arms. Erica opened her gown placing the little girl at her breast. The baby immediately latched on and began to suckle hungrily.

“She sure is hungry!” Erica said in amazement, holding her securely while she fed. Clark looked on lovingly as mother and daughter bonded, taking in the sight before him.

“So,” Clark said once the baby had fallen asleep, her hunger satisfied. “We’ve talked about names, what have you chosen?”

“I want to name her after my mom. She would have been so proud to be a grandmother.”

“Abigail it is, what about a middle name?”

“Lois, her middle name is Lois,” Erica said gazing lovingly into Clark’s eyes.

“Are you sure?” Clark asked, surprised.

“Yes, I want to honor the woman who loved you as much as I do,” she replied with certainty. Clark kissed his wife lovingly, his eyes bright with unshed tears. Gazing down at the baby sleeping in her mother’s arms Clark caressed her little head.

“Welcome to the family, Abigail Lois Kent.”

The End

Link to Sophia Pernas, the inspiration for Erica: Sofia Pernas Bio https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2822103/?ref_=nmbio_bio_nm

Author's note:

I have pictures of Erica's wedding dress and each of their rings but they are only images and I'm not sure how to post them.